Job Search Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Re: Job Search Thread

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm not in the first group of in-person interviews.

Cool.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Might be a few opportunities for even a dedicated Photo position, but right now I'm just feeling like a poker player whose lost half his stack for playing 3 kings, losing to some bullshit flopped flush. I'm reeling and I feel anything I do next will fail.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's not you at all. It's the system. There's no inherent stability in that.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm not out of the current search. I'm just not among the two who matrix'd high enough for initial in-person interviews. Maybe they just have to do this, then, with me in house and a minimal search expense, they could look back my way just to give me the chance?

Apparently these others score higher on one single preferred criteria which I rate in, but evidently not as highly and my other strengths didn't overcome the discrepancy. For now I have to prep in case knowing it's unlikely, and I have to prepare for another search in an entirely different area of focus that is scattered to the wind as far as focus and need, meaning who the hell knows what will come from it.

Crazy to think that one month ago I was discussing my next year's role in explicit detail, with the program head writing my name down for already approved classes. Now, I'm just left vulnerable and alone, wondering WTF just happened.

I can't see how they'd waste time on candidates they didn't want to hire even if they had to pay to bring them in, spend time on them, so this being just a way to get through proper protocol to get me seems far fetched.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am really sorry to hear this JMJ, but hopefully this is just part of the dog and pony show they need to play and you get the opportunity you deserve.

Bear Down.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This going on for what, 2 years now? Crazy.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:This going on for what, 2 years now? Crazy.
This is year 4, this is act 2

Emergency hire
Waiver/Failed Search
Waiver
Waiver/Flunked Search?

Just nuts.

Maybe to hire internal you have to have all the checks and balances satisfied for HR, but the look I got from my source this morning felt more like they had other preferred candidates.

Not out, but down.

Photo is a complete crap shoot. Probably not likely at all and no guarantee I'm the guy if they even go internal.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

CalStateTempe wrote:I am really sorry to hear this JMJ, but hopefully this is just part of the dog and pony show they need to play and you get the opportunity you deserve.

Bear Down.
Fingers crossed the little birdie who told me "be prepared" can pull the strings. With the budget being what it is, and with the Presidents office approving all new hires, Birdie told me the Dean wants all searches to appear above reproach, not half-assed at all. As such, all top matrix'd candidates will be brought to campus for an interview. Birdie says it's likely others will be as well.

Fingers crossed.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I will say that this info has absolutely lit a fire inside me. I want the opportunity to fight for this position more than anything. Spend 3 hours today preparing my presentation. Gonna spend another 3 tomorrow, minimum. I'm going to be ready and on point with this extra week to prep.

I don't think I was coasting before, but if I was, I'm not any longer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

JMarkJohns wrote:I will say that this info has absolutely lit a fire inside me. I want the opportunity to fight for this position more than anything. Spend 3 hours today preparing my presentation. Gonna spend another 3 tomorrow, minimum. I'm going to be ready and on point with this extra week to prep.

Good luck and definitely wear pants.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JMarkJohns wrote:I will say that this info has absolutely lit a fire inside me. I want the opportunity to fight for this position more than anything. Spend 3 hours today preparing my presentation. Gonna spend another 3 tomorrow, minimum. I'm going to be ready and on point with this extra week to prep.

it would be funny if you get the job and then leave.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMJ, I've totally lost track. How many years does the job announcement specify?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:JMJ, I've totally lost track. How many years does the job announcement specify?
It's a lecturer line.

It's renewable yearly, and after three renewed years, you sign a three-year renewable contract.

So I'm still year to year first three, but with expectation of renewal, where current instructor line has no expectation.

There are three levels of lecturer:

Lecturer
Principal Lecturer
Senior Lecturer

I know several who have been at NAU in Lecturer role for 20+ years.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:JMJ, I've totally lost track. How many years does the job announcement specify?
It's a lecturer line.

It's renewable yearly, and after three renewed years, you sign a three-year renewable contract.

So I'm still year to year first three, but with expectation of renewal, where current instructor line has no expectation.

Lecturer
Principal Lecturer
Senior Lecturer

So ultimately you'd like to keep your options open while staying on track toward Senior Lecturer with Security of Employment?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
It's a lecturer line.

Lecturer
Principal Lecturer
Senior Lecturer

So ultimately you'd like to keep your options open while staying on track toward Senior Lecturer with Security of Employment?
Yes, as I want to see how the photography program grows over next 3-5 years.

If all goes as expected, I'll stay for a good bit.

When I get to 10 years experience (4 right now), I'll reassess.

I like Flagstaff, NAU, and so long as certain colleagues stay and certain others stay away/out of my business, I think I can make a go of things.

Right now I'm at a quirky place: I have several years of experience, but not a lot. I have many years non-academic experience in a myriad of fields, but no honed focus for a large number of years. And I have an advanced degree, but not a terminal degree.

If I stick, NAU offers a one-year MFA, and I might go ahead and do it on the cheap. I'd likely do one class a semester and one class in Summer, so it would take me two years.

I don't anticipate being at NAU until I retire, but I can see it with the right opportunities, right program growth, and proper support.

But first I gotta get this line.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm officially the only internal candidate to not make the in-person interview round from the pool of internal candidates who applied, so that's awesome that I'm now the slightly retarded, but lovable injured puppy rescued from the vet.

I'd need a second hand to count the "stick in there" and "good vibes" offered to me today by colleagues in the halls. Maybe it contributes to my groundswell of support for getting me the interview, but right now it's attention I don't want. Just makes me feel like loser idiot Rob Lowe.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So what's next in the process, JMJ?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:So what's next in the process, JMJ?
Was told to be patient. I gotta be prepared for an interview should they want to see another candidate after first two. It all may just be a technicality and I just get a few more days to prep before interviewing, but so many knew I had a phone interview, they are all asking about my in-person since next rounds and candidates named. So I get the privilege of explaining I'm still a candidate but not in first pair of interviews, thus the unwanted half hugs, aw shucks, and best wishes.

Just want to keep my head up, keep friendly, as I know they mean well, and be prepared for an interview. I get the chance to fight for the job, I'm gonna put 'em in the body bag! YEAAHHHH!!!!!!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

JMJ, I am so sorry man. The world is full of opportunities that await you.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Give it a few weeks. I'm not pulling the plug just yet.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

We're all pulling for you, JMJ.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Good luck!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Here Here JMJ. Good luck!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Kick some interdepartmental ass John.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My line has its second candidate coming in Thursday, so hopefully I know something with finality about this job within a week or so. Meantime, I'm prepped and ready to interview for it. Additionally, I'm spending this week applying to two jobs at NAU, both in Photo. I'm not a shoe-in for either and they'll be very competitive. I meet all minimums and all but one preferred on each, so I should clear the pool, but I just can't get a feel for this. It's expedited, so first review is next Wednesday.

First round of offers have gone out for other positions, and both offered jobs went to internal candidates, so hopefully in this economic climate the committees are erring on the side of familiarity and convenience. This includes the same search committee as mine, but for a different position.

Hopefully this gets back to me next week for an interview.

I still feel like me getting an interview and not these four inter-departmental positions is my best bet.

Candidate this Thursday is from Korea, has a PhD.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

As of right now, I'm the only internal candidate to not get a job offer.

Have to hope this puts pressure on the committee to at least give me the interview next week. All I want is the chance to fight. You give me that, my strength, and you still feel there's a better candidate on paper who translates as well or potentially better to the classroom, you have my blessings, offer them the job. But don't tell me you've done due diligence when the internal candidate can't get even an interview, despite coming in, helping stabilize a hemoraging program, and then adapted content, tweaked teaching methods, and who has now helped grow numbers in the intro courses, and who consistently has crossover students follow from one program into another. Two years ago I taught a class I'm teaching this semester. First class was 19, next was 26. This semester I'm at 40. Similar in another class where first was 24, and now I'm at 38.

Award-winning, highly meritorious, well liked, well-reviewed...

I know I'm losing my mind here, but being the only internal candidate who hasn't even interviewed will do that.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

" First class was 19, next was 26. This semester I'm at 40. Similar in another class where first was 24, and now I'm at 38."

Wow, JMJ, powerful stuff. You're really getting attention from the marketplace and that's so impressive. Is your class growth coming from FA students of painting/drawing/sculpting/printmaking---kids who want to broaden their discipline? Or elsewhere, Liberal Arts, etc?

Bear Down, man. You're going to succeed!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

EOCT wrote:" First class was 19, next was 26. This semester I'm at 40. Similar in another class where first was 24, and now I'm at 38."

Wow, JMJ, powerful stuff. You're really getting attention from the marketplace and that's so impressive. Is your class growth coming from FA students of painting/drawing/sculpting/printmaking---kids who want to broaden their discipline? Or elsewhere, Liberal Arts, etc?

Bear Down, man. You're going to succeed!
Some from this, some who are business majors exploring passions for a minor who then declare. Others come via transfer through good reputation with other junior colleges or schools.

When I first took over Intro to photo we could barely fill 100 seats. Within one year we had a demand of 150 or more. I had an English teacher take my Intro class as a hobby, and she told her english students about it, two of whom took it and became minors.

I'm literally everything they need, but somehow I keep getting deprioritized.

Hopefully gets back to me. Tomorrow is the rough day. Hopefully I hear Friday or early next week.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I heard. Not good. Whatever.

I've shifted to the lecturer position that includes photo and communication theory.

I doubt I get it, but I am a good candidate and the expedited nature of the search might be in my favor.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

So, apparently my chance at one of these lecturer positions hinges upon one dude. Some Columbia-professor, with a Pulitzer nomination, who's taught in Europe as a visiting Professor in the past. He teaches Journalism. If he opts to take a pay cut, a status cut, a load increase in the media Mecca that is Flagstaff then it creates a trickle down effect that finds my line split between two other PhD candidates.

Most don't think he will. It's way too odd a decision. But with my recent luck, he definitely takes it.

Should know in about two weeks if I get a phone interview, maybe even faster than that. Job is eligible for review Wednesday, and they are wanting to be done by the end of Finals week, May 11th.

I've had some good talks. He doesn't apply or accept, I have a 90-99% chance of the position. He accepts, and it's down to a coinflip twixt myself and another long-term waiver, and she has a PhD. That said, it will matter what courses are still in need of filling, so I still have a chance. But probably closer to 25% than 50%.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just awful how much professors and adjuncts make.

http://calcoastnews.com/2015/04/cal-pol ... ay-raises/

In the past eight years, most teachers at Cal Poly received less than a 3 percent increase in pay. The salary adjustments this year will bring fulltime assistant professors up to a minimum target salary of $65,000, assistant professors up to $71,000; and full professors up to $83,000.

That's 3 percent total over the last 8 years.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beats pay cuts, which is what journalists have endured ... if fortunate enough not to be dumped altogether. Know many adjuncts. Criminal how they're treated/paid.

Best of luck, JMJ.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

University faculty also endure salary cuts. As well as cuts to benefits, of course.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Think everyone has had benefits cut.
Right where I want to be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Luckily for me my benefits/bonuses have been expanded and improved over the last 6 years
devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Luckily for me my benefits/bonuses have been expanded and improved over the last 6 years
That is awesome that Dairy Queen really looks after their employees and cares about their well-being. Do you get free Blizzards as well, or just a discount?
it's a great time to be a pothead - Chicat
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

You've had the same joke for going on a decade now. Time to retire it son.
devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

scumdevils86 wrote:You've had the same joke for going on a decade now. Time to retire it son.
A classic truly never gets old!
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:You've had the same joke for going on a decade now. Time to retire it son.
It seems like you have real problems with your age.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is our resident anti-govt civil servant ASU troll talking employment smack?

Hilarious...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

Chicat wrote:Is our resident anti-govt civil servant ASU troll talking employment smack?

Hilarious...
Hey Mr. Chicat!

Nice to see you come along and intrude into matters that do not pertain to you, but you do seem to do that quite often. Glad to see though I could inject some humor into your life. I am a funny guy, you know!!!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This non-droll banter is getting old and polluting what were productive, serious threads.

Anybody who makes political posts outside the political forums should be limited to them IMHO.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Heard officially, but the PhD with 5 years university experience, 10+ years industry experience, and a Master's in Science to boot has accepted the offer, ending my fading hopes the search could come back to me.

Hope she stays more than a year.

I doubt it. That's way too impressive a CV for a lecturer position.

But I know students really liked her.

I'm now focused on a different lecturer pool, one better suited for my skills, but one that's also a clusterfuck and mis-timed in process that will be very competitive.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Looks like I'm done. Myself and another multi-year Photo/Photoj waiver.

Such crap.

Maybe there's hope, but it feels final. Like needle has been poked into vein, and this is the last minutes of life before it all goes dark.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Looks like I'm done. Myself and another multi-year Photo/Photoj waiver.

Such crap.

Maybe there's hope, but it feels final. Like needle has been poked into vein, and this is the last minutes of life before it all goes dark.
Sorry to hear that JMJ, what's the outlook on positions at other universities?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:Looks like I'm done. Myself and another multi-year Photo/Photoj waiver.

Such crap.

Sorry to hear that JMJ, what's the outlook on positions at other universities?
No idea. I'll feel out that market in coming months. Likely I'm late to the party for this next year. I'm going to have to think hard about a terminal degree. Either an MFA or PhD. Not sure which. I honestly, for the life of me, am not sure how I didn't even get a phone interview. I had both teaching, degrees, and industry experience in all of the areas. To teach and build a program for three years only to be skipped over feels like a life altering slight. I really have no idea what to think.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm sorry to hear, JMJ.

For continued graduate studies, how is photography at Arizona these days? It used to be awesome will the Edward Weston stuff and the Creative Center and all that, and for all I know, it still is (?).
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Sorry to hear about that, JMJ. Good luck whatever you choose next.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy