A field guide to the American Sandwich

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

A field guide to the American Sandwich

Post by CalStateTempe »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... .html?_r=0
Here is a celebration of the sandwich’s diversity in the United States, an attempt to bring order to the wild multiplicity of its forms.

But first: What is a sandwich? The United States Department of Agriculture declares: “Product must contain at least 35 percent cooked meat and no more than 50 percent bread.” But a sandwich does not require meat! Merriam-Webster is slightly more helpful: “two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between.”

For the purposes of this field guide, we have laid down parameters. A hamburger is a marvelous sandwich, but it is one deserving of its own guide. The same holds for hot dogs, and for tacos and burritos, which in 2006, in the case known as Panera v. Qdoba, a Massachusetts judge declared were not sandwiches at all. Open-faced sandwiches are not sandwiches. Gyros and shawarmas are not sandwiches. The bread that encases them is neither split nor hinged, but wrapped.

There are five main families of sandwich in The New York Times Field Guide.

There are sandwiches made on Kaiser or "hard" rolls.

There are sandwiches made on soft buns.
There are sandwiches made on long hero or sub rolls.
There are sandwiches made on sliced bread.

And there are what we call "singulars," which are those creations on bread that falls outside these other groups but are still vital to the sandwich landscape, like the muffuletta.
Excellent article.

for the offseason, lets start compiling a list of sandwiches (I think we had on at TOS) and we can vote on them similar to the hot or not threads.

first vote: Do you like this sandwich (yes or no)
then in brackets to find the ultimate sandwich...

Of course if its a lame idea we can just discuss sandos here.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghostwhitehorse

Re: A field guide to the American Sandwich

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Bánh mì

*mic drop*
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm in.

As a man, I'm into sandwiches. I like their form... and their taste and texture... in a way that's appropriate.

Food that you can pick up and eat with your hands is just better.

I refuse to believe that sandwiches were invented by the Earl of Sandwich.

My first contribution:

The Jim Shoe sandwich
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My definition is simple:

Some form of bread with two additional ingredients. Those can be hard ingredients (cheese, meat), spreadable (PB, J, Mayo, mustard, etc) or condiments (lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion, cucumber).

It can be rolled, wrapped, twixt'd or open faced.

I had this discussion a few months back. It became heated.

Question posed, is a single ingredient between two slices of bread a sandwich? I say no. Butter in between two pieces of bread is not a sandwich. It's buttered bread.

Gotta be two ingredients and some form of bread.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:Bánh mì

*mic drop*
Had a fantastic banh mi at a food truck in Tucson on speedway last week. Only $3 too
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned's hero.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If any of you are ever in Charleston, go to the Tattood Moose and order the Duck Club sandwich. Tastiest meal I have ever had in my life. I would drop $100 right now in a heartbeat for one
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The Los Drowned sandwich at the Little Goat Diner in Chicago.

Wow.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:The Los Drowned sandwich at the Little Goat Diner in Chicago.

Wow.
Looks awesome
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Reprised my liverwurst sandwich from several months ago. Counts as my Dinner Tonight post as well. Liverwurst on toasted rye bread with gouda, tomato, lettuce, red onion, slathered in mayo and stone ground mustard, sea salt and practically crusted in fresh ground black pepper. The last time I posted this sandwich I'd used a pretzel roll and distinctly remember LH saying that I'd "knocked it out of the park."

Think I'll head home for lunch now . . .
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well, that's another home run.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

BearDown89 wrote:Reprised my liverwurst sandwich from several months ago. Counts as my Dinner Tonight post as well. Liverwurst on toasted rye bread with gouda, tomato, lettuce, red onion, slathered in mayo and stone ground mustard, sea salt and practically crusted in fresh ground black pepper. The last time I posted this sandwich I'd used a pretzel roll and distinctly remember LH saying that I'd "knocked it out of the park."

Think I'll head home for lunch now . . .
In the same vein, I had a homemade sandwich for dinner tonight. Toasted Organic Multigrain from Trader Joe's. Sliced turkey breast, provolone, avocado, tomato, mayo (the last 3 seasoned with a salt & pepper mix grind) and brewmaster's mustard. Basic and tasty.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:Well, that's another home run.
Thank you Sir. I thought you might approve.
Reydituto wrote:In the same vein, I had a homemade sandwich for dinner tonight. Toasted Organic Multigrain from Trader Joe's. Sliced turkey breast, provolone, avocado, tomato, mayo (the last 3 seasoned with a salt & pepper mix grind) and brewmaster's mustard. Basic and tasty.
Had a couple of basic sandwiches at the cabin over the weekend. Thick sliced turkey, ham and gouda on hearty Dave's Killer Bread. Dave's back in jail I hear. Anyway, the discovery I made in the cabin fridge was a bottle of Beaver Brand Extra Hot Sriracha Mustard. I didn't think it was too hot, great flavor and definitely kicked it up a notch.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:Well, that's another home run.
Thank you Sir. I thought you might approve.
Reydituto wrote:In the same vein, I had a homemade sandwich for dinner tonight. Toasted Organic Multigrain from Trader Joe's. Sliced turkey breast, provolone, avocado, tomato, mayo (the last 3 seasoned with a salt & pepper mix grind) and brewmaster's mustard. Basic and tasty.
Had a couple of basic sandwiches at the cabin over the weekend. Thick sliced turkey, ham and gouda on hearty Dave's Killer Bread. Dave's back in jail I hear. Anyway, the discovery I made in the cabin fridge was a bottle of Beaver Brand Extra Hot Sriracha Mustard. I didn't think it was too hot, great flavor and definitely kicked it up a notch.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Where do you stand on sides with your sandwich?

I have a friend who won't eat a sandwich without a side of chips. Any chip will do, but in the absence of chips I've actually seen him toss a freshly made sandwich in the trash. That was probably 15 or so years ago and I thought it a bit extreme, but I must say that I've adopted the chip requirement as a general sandwich enjoyment guideline. I lean towards the classic Frito myself. As well, any variety of potato chip will do.

Pickle? Deli side salad?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Yep, any potato chip will do. Fritos are a good choice along with any BBQ variations, Sun Chips of any kind, classic Lays/Utz, and Rippled Lays/Utz or whatever brand you prefer. I especially love eating a hot or cold sandwich with french fries. I wouldn't throw a non-chip-accompanying sandwich into the trash like your friend haha (although I respect his values), but I have walked out of a sandwich place that didn't serve fries when I was really in the mood.

I've been on a turkey and bacon kick lately too. A simple sandwich with soft bread or croissant, quality turkey, crispy bacon, lettuce and mustard is amazing.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm good with or without a side.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:I'm good with or without a side.
Same. But I do enjoy a good mustard potato salad.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:I'm good with or without a side.
Same. But I do enjoy a good mustard potato salad.
Oh sure. Any one of the traditional picnic sides will do. Potato salad, macaroni salad, coleslaw, or a nice juicy pickle spear.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I find that if I'm "needing" a side while I'm eating my sandwich, then that's a reflection on the quality of the sandwich.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I made chicken salad sammiches last night. was craving it for some reason.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, a sandwich without a side is a bit rough on guy just trying to make it through the day. For me, it really should be something crunchy. Even with a PBJ, potato chips bring the whole experience together. Fritos are a vastly underrated chip. They're not trying to be tortilla chips. Historically, they preceded the mass-availability of tortilla chips, and they're something more than a tortilla chip. They're their own thing.

Realities being what they are, though, I've found a suitable crunchy chip replacement in the carrots that they crinkle-cut as though they were potato chips. 100% carrot. You dust them with some sea salt, and you've got the crunchy salty side you need without having to make up for it elsewhere in the future:

Keeping with the salty crunchy thing, I agree with Greg on the importance of a nice, crispy dill pickle.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

In Soviet Russia the sandwich...