TOS Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: TOS Discussion

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:7 total threads on Modster on the first page of Scout premium. 4 started by Scheer and 3 started by Biggins. So what are you going to do when that's how Scout staff runs the board?
It's more like a control given the community's refusal to limit new threads. We kind of had an agreement that staff will start a new thread whenever there's a development. Otherwise, there are too many threads that are too inane to follow while looking for real new information.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Makes it look more hopping.
Seeing that board geek out over this commitment news reminds me of what it feels like to be a normal fan. I have no idea what they're all excited over. I learn some of the football players' names during the games I watch, forget them when I don't watch (and I do miss football games), hope the team wins, and forget losses instantly. The thought of following recruiting news is so far from me. Maybe I can get there with basketball someday.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:Makes it look more hopping.
Seeing that board geek out over this commitment news reminds me of what it feels like to be a normal fan. I have no idea what they're all excited over. I learn some of the football players' names during the games I watch, forget them when I don't watch (and I do miss football games), hope the team wins, and forget losses instantly. The thought of following recruiting news is so far from me. Maybe I can get there with basketball someday.
i get an email alert. Then I wait until they play. On the football side, anyway.
Right where I want to be.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

gumby wrote:i get an email alert. Then I wait until they play. On the football side, anyway.
I used to be that way about football. But now I'm that way about basketball.

This is totally off-topic, but I wonder how much of the waning of my interest in college basketball can be blamed on the embarrassing state of UCLA's program, and how much can be blamed on the generally terrible state of college basketball as a whole.
Last edited by Bruins01 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Bruins01 wrote:
gumby wrote:i get an email alert. Then I wait until they play. On the football side, anyway.

This is totally off-topic, but I wonder how much of the waning of my interest in college basketball can be blamed on the embarrassing state of UCLA's program, and how much can be blamed on the generally terrible state of college basketball in general.
I think it could also be that your interests are changing, and that sports isn't as important. At least I know that is the case for me. When I was in my 20's I used to go to games all the time and never missed a game on television. Now I still enjoy watching UA play, but my life doesn't revolved around them anymore. And they are definitely not one of my highest priorities.

But again, fans in LA do tend to be fair weather fans who follow the latest hot team. ;)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kind of agree with Bruins related to the college game of bball. Tought to see kids go and come in like a junior college (turning over the roster every 2 years) at best. Loved the days when Lute's and Harricks kids stayed four years which is very prevelent in college football
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Kind of agree with Bruins related to the college game of bball. Tought to see kids go and come in like a junior college (turning over the roster every 2 years) at best. Loved the days when Lute's and Harricks kids stayed four years which is very prevelent in college football

Duke too. Wasn't that long ago ratface had his first non-senior declare.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah. I'm experiencing some waning interest in college hoops. Part of it is the general decline. The other part is having already discussed/debated every single aspect of the sport in the million or so posts on the subject. So many threads are like "Groundhog Day."

To paraphrase the Bard: Very little new under the sun. And what is new is generally unwelcomed.

This accounts for the uptick in "drive-bys" and the decline in "breaking it down."

P.S. Always liked basketball more than football.
Last edited by gumby on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Nba rosters stay together twice as long as college ones now. Pretty much a brand new team every other year (every year if you're Kentucky). The team of guys we will have in 2015 (tarc, York, Anderson, the 4 freshmen, Allen, risitc, etc..) will be a completely different team in 2017 with probably only 2-4 leftovers from the 2015 days.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One thing that will really drop my interest in the college game is making it more like the NBA, which I never watch.

Hey, let's get a 24 second shot clock!

Let's remove any chance a slower non-athletic team has to win.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bruins01 wrote:

This is totally off-topic, but I wonder how much of the waning of my interest in college basketball can be blamed on the embarrassing state of UCLA's program, and how much can be blamed on the generally terrible state of college basketball as a whole.
I find as I get older, my fandom is different too. I care during games, but I don't obsess over the stuff I can't control. I don't get wigged out over Ivan Rabb, and I used to really get involved in the recruiting process.

College basketball is interesting, it's just frustrating. There's more randomness and less predictability now. I don't think the quality of play is worse, it's just far less predictable. Midmajors never made final four runs until 2006. Now, the playing field is just different.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:One thing that will really drop my interest in the college game is making it more like the NBA, which I never watch.

Hey, let's get a 24 second shot clock!

Let's remove any chance a slower non-athletic team has to win.
As an Arizona fan, I support making things more like the NBA. Faster games cater to more talent, and we have talent.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The off season depression is setting in.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:The off season depression is setting in.
likewise. gonna be a long 4 months. my least favorite time of the year. no baskeball or football to care about. shitty summer weather in az. not much to do on the weekends in town with no outdoor events or festivals or anything (see previous sentence).

boo
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I despise this time of year. No college basketball, no football, and I absolutely HATE MLB. :-(
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:The off season depression is setting in.
likewise. gonna be a long 4 months. my least favorite time of the year. no baskeball or football to care about. shitty summer weather in az. not much to do on the weekends in town with no outdoor events or festivals or anything (see previous sentence).

boo
The great thing for me is that this is when our weather is fantastic. I have no issues with sitting inside on the weekends in the fall and winter watching football and basketball, but come springtime I am ready to get out of the house. I'm actually happy there are no sports I'm really following closely this time of year. And in fact, it pisses me off that hockey and basketball playoffs will run all the way through May and into June. Who wants to watch a freakin' basketball game on TV when you could be outside living life???
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I honestly don't hate the heat as from may-september as much as I hate the fact that Tucson becomes a ghost town during those months. the other 7-8 months of the year there is always some kind of beer festival or wine tasting or food event or something cool to do outside. There's nothing that great to do. And then no sports to watch. Boredom.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:I honestly don't hate the heat as from may-september as much as I hate the fact that Tucson becomes a ghost town during those months. the other 7-8 months of the year there is always some kind of beer festival or wine tasting or food event or something cool to do outside. There's nothing that great to do. And then no sports to watch. Boredom.
I love when Tucson is a ghost town! A couple months of non-college douchebags around is fantastic!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah but there is nothing to do besides sit at home in the ac and watch tv.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I honestly don't hate the heat as from may-september as much as I hate the fact that Tucson becomes a ghost town during those months. the other 7-8 months of the year there is always some kind of beer festival or wine tasting or food event or something cool to do outside. There's nothing that great to do. And then no sports to watch. Boredom.
I love when Tucson is a ghost town! A couple months of non-college douchebags around is fantastic!
yeah I don't mind that part as much. but there is just literally nothing to do other than spend many at an empty bar, drive around town or go see a movie or something. none of which really spike my interest.

old man liebs is upset
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah but there is nothing to do besides sit at home in the ac and watch tv.
Sitting at a nice patio bar, drinking an ice cold beer, watching the monsoon come in is one of my greatest simple pleasures.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Alieberman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah but there is nothing to do besides sit at home in the ac and watch tv.
Sitting at a nice patio bar, drinking an ice cold beer, watching the monsoon come in is one of my greatest simple pleasures.

I had the luxury of having a back yard that faces the peaks. It's not without city clutter contributing to the scene, but July and August I spent many an afternoon watching the clouds break against the peaks, and scatter in the wind to the soundtrack of rain and rolling thunder.

It truly is one of life's simple pleasures.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
yeah I don't mind that part as much. but there is just literally nothing to do other than spend many at an empty bar, drive around town or go see a movie or something. none of which really spike my interest.
UA has a softball or baseball team....
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
UA has a softball or baseball team....
well yeah...but that ends in may usually for games in town. still have 3 months after that.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

I had the luxury of having a back yard that faces the peaks. It's not without city clutter contributing to the scene, but July and August I spent many an afternoon watching the clouds break against the peaks, and scatter in the wind to the soundtrack of rain and rolling thunder.

Reading this post and Chicat's made me remember how shitty the summers were in Arizona. Crap weather combined with no sports that I cared about made it really, really boring. Then I moved to Colorado and that all changed. Then to Virginia and North Carolina and it came back. Now in Switzerland and summers make me happy again, even without the sports.

It's amazing how looking forward to being outside during those four months changes your perspective on life.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Doubt it was Jason or his staff. They've stated for months Zimmerman was never happening. But somehow premium members woke up to emails saying Zimmerman committed to Arizona. Whoops!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (265.17 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:lol:

That's PGU worthy.

97 has been saying 0 chance for months, so I had absolutely no expectation at all.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Puerco wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Reading this post and Chicat's made me remember how shitty the summers were in Arizona. Crap weather combined with no sports that I cared about made it really, really boring. Then I moved to Colorado and that all changed. Then to Virginia and North Carolina and it came back. Now in Switzerland and summers make me happy again, even without the sports.

It's amazing how looking forward to being outside during those four months changes your perspective on life.
When I lived in Tucson, I ran five miles most days in the afternoon after work - I found that facing the heat head on like that resulted in never really feeling all that uncomfortable. The evenings were wonderful once the sunset approached/passed.

I engaged in a lot of outdoors activities - hiking, backpacking, birdwatching, drinking on the patio at the Shanty - and spent a lot of time in the mountains....

Similarly, when I lived in Alaska, I quickly learned that the "true" Alaskans really favored the snow-covered winter months to the summer....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote::lol:

That's PGU worthy.

97 has been saying 0 chance for months, so I had absolutely no expectation at all.
Yep, got that email this morning.

Needless to say it's either a very calculated prank or an incredibly unprecedented slip. One of those moments you check your hands to make sure you're not actually asleep and dreaming it. :lol:
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Gershon is great but Scheer is really, really terrible at Scout. Not sure how you were able to deal with him at TOS for so long.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

After seeing him on Twitter Scheer really is kind of a douche. Gershon is as professional as they come Scheer shoulda learned something you would think.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The Ivan Rabb homesick momma's boy was a little juvenile, and for the most part unlike Scheer.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not sure if I missed something but I received an email from Scout that Zimmerman committed to the UofA. It was sent this morning at 9am? Did I miss anything. Thought he went to UNLV
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I enjoy the summers here. Sun starts to go down and you can crack open a beer and grill outside, put on the Diamondbacks game, crack and/or relax on your patio. During the week, most of us are inside working when it is unbearable (outside of that walk to get some food at lunch). On weekends you got the pool. I actually like the lack of having several major sports going on because you get more done on the weekends.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

true that. i am much more productive on summer weekends than during the big sports season.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:Not sure if I missed something but I received an email from Scout that Zimmerman committed to the UofA. It was sent this morning at 9am? Did I miss anything. Thought he went to UNLV
It was a computer generated email featuring some promotional video tied to advertising. They clearly meant to send to UNLV subscriber listserve with UNLV as the destination. Just strange all the way around.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

pokinmik wrote:After seeing him on Twitter Scheer really is kind of a douche. Gershon is as professional as they come Scheer shoulda learned something you would think.
Spends a lot of time trolling on twitter. Seems like he's embraced the PGU style of tweeting, which is unfortunate.

Gershon is great, I agree
gumby

Post by gumby »

Scheer is a good follow on Twitter. Retweets good information and supplies some of his own. His role is different. He's tied to a particular fan base, so he can inject more attitude. Gershon supplies information for the entire network. Best to play it straight. Can remember when Josh was a student and posting at Cattracks. Always been a sharp guy. Usually remained above the fray.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

gumby wrote:Scheer is a good follow on Twitter. Retweets good information and supplies some of his own. His role is different. He's tied to a particular fan base, so he can inject more attitude. Gershon supplies information for the entire network. Best to play it straight. Can remember when Josh was a student and posting at Cattracks. Always been a sharp guy. Usually remained above the fray.
I've corresponded with Josh when he was at ghost town TOS. He has a degree in Management Information Systems. That degree at UA is prestigious (at least at that time, don't know today). He gave that up to follow a passion. It appears it paid off for him, and I'm thrilled for his success. I wish him all the success in the world. AZCats07 wasn't even the top writer at TOS, WilltheThrill32 (Ben Hansen) was when TOS first started.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Scheer is a good follow on Twitter. Retweets good information and supplies some of his own. His role is different. He's tied to a particular fan base, so he can inject more attitude. Gershon supplies information for the entire network. Best to play it straight. Can remember when Josh was a student and posting at Cattracks. Always been a sharp guy. Usually remained above the fray.
I agree with this.

Scheer does fantastic work at Scout. With all of my complaints about those boards, why on earth would I subscribe if not for Scheer's work on that site? Also a genuinely nice guy.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I know there are several here who are also paid members of "the other" TOS... the good one. I've been trying to go over there more. The info is good... but the posters over there are horrible. I've tried to post over there a few times but the discussion is just not very interesting. I still think it's a great resource but the discussion over here is far superior.

So glad we created this site.

Bear Down.
Exactly. And this is nothing new because it was a problem on premium going way back over 10 years. But all you need to do is spend a short time there today or any day to see that the community is far less knowledgeable, far less sophisticated, far less interesting, and far less funny and entertaining. While the staff provides excellent information, posters generally know shockingly little about even the most basic details of the sport under discussion. Why would somebody who isn't even sure of the difference between a point guard and a power forward subscribe to a paid site devoted to Arizona athletics?

But wait, it gets worse. And this is something that somebody who isn't on that site would never believe. While our site has its expected trolls, that site has this unexplainable widespread tendency to accuse other posters and the staff of things for reasons that are paranoid, childish, and beyond understandable. The repeated pattern is that a poster or staff member says something with only the best intentions, and then some poster starts accusing that poster or staff member of something absurd. Then the original poster offers clarification, and then, for some unknown reason, the accusing poster gets offended and screams that he's under attack. You can almost see the tears as he demands to have his subscription cancelled, and as bystanders try to intervene and help pick up the crying poster out of the dirt, he starts screaming at everybody for being part of some kind of plot aimed at helping the staff to oppress innocent posters.

This actually happens, and with disturbing frequency. I have no explanation. It's just bizarre. More often than not, Reydituto gets implicated. Scheer, Gershon, and 97cats are framed as bullying enforcers of groupthink, who themselves lack any kind of connection to the program or special training that should lend value to the information they provide. Most of all, these staff members and posters and their "countless minions" are supposedly just out to disparage Gabe York.

Most of the threads offer absolutely no information and no basis for discussion. They're started by a poster who has a casual observation that he wants everybody to read. Forget that there are already 14 threads on the screen about Frank Kaminsky. Just start a new one called, say, "Kaminsky". When people click on it, they read something like, "He's a good player and deserves respect". Oh, really? Thank you. When you say, "Hey, can we keep these bland observations to existing threads?", crying ensues, along with the insistence that "I can do what I want!" And you know that you have yet another poster on the edge of spontaneous self-ignition.
Good times. Sort of. The paranoia really is bizarre. Many of the non-GOAZCATS-experienced posters there are so thin-skinned. I'll often review what I posted to see if it rationally deserves some of the irrational responses I get, as things tend to escalate quickly over there; my passion does get the best of me at times. Some people, including myself, tend to confuse consistent opinions for "campaigns", especially if it comes from a Scout staffer, such as Gershon and his take on York. Although to be fair, there are posters who really do campaign for certain things, which can become odd, needlessly repetitive, and downright annoying. And, there are posters who are clearly either under or over-medicated when they post; I feel sympathy for a few of them, not so much for others.

Whenever I see you post something clearly meant for entertainment value, I try to respond, or add to it if I can, just to keep a touch of the absurd to lighten the mood. Gets too serious there at times.

As for the mega-thread vs. multi-thread conundrum, like BD89 said, in retrospect the organizing of thread topics on GOAZ was rare now that I've seen more message boards. When I was moderating on TOS I took a lot of heat for combining a few threads, or repeating the company line of using the search function or posting in existing threads so as to not clutter the board - it was what Gershon told me to do. Some threads were even started to complain about me and the other mods for doing so, like it was cramping their style to have to post in one or two threads on a given topic as opposed to starting their own ego-driven paean.

It's a fine line; I get some of the complaining about mega-threads. The internet really is the Wild Wild West, and people are used to doing whatever they want there. But one feature of the vBulletin software GOAZ used was that it was really easy to go to the first unread post in any thread since your last log-in, from the fourm or topic list (You can do that here too once you are inside a thread, one more click, but still useful), which to me negated much of the complaint about the mega threads being so long and being difficult to navigate - it just wasn't that hard to see the newer posts.

I certainly prefer the less cluttered approach, it leads to a better use of my time, and the topical clutter on Scout can be annoying. I like mega-threads too, I enjoy seeing how the tenor of a topic changes over time, and I don't think they are burdensome to navigate. I also notice that no one really complains about the mega-threads that do exist here - part of that is due to the light-handed moderation, some of that is a willingness of this board's posters to cooperate with that kind of organization, and part of it is I think most of the posters who complained about the mega-threads on GOAZ did not migrate over here. Which is also fine by me.
Chicat wrote:The discussion isn't worth $.06. I just scan threads for the Scout guys and a very select few posters.
I've tried that, and it eliminates some chaff, but truth is Scheer & Gershon are pretty responsive and post in several threads that they don't start or end or are otherwise less obvious. Another thing about the vBulletin GOAZ was there was a link which told you who posted and how often, which I thought was quite a useful filter.
Longhorned wrote:It's a site for insider information, right? And yet there are several posters without any connection to the program who completely ignore the insider information, and proceed to post their own strongly stated, completely misinformed opinions. So basically they think we're all paying to read their thoughts. Once in a while, out of the blue they'll ask a question about something that the staff has been discussing in detail for days. They don't even know the topics at hand because they don't read the threads or the articles. They simply start a new thread to something with absolutely no base in reality whatsoever. When called on it, they play the "I can do what I want!" card, and then disparage the staff. Presumably out of jealousy.
$10/month creates a real sense of entitlement. As SHB suggested, they are posting for the privilege of having dick-measuring contests with paid experts over sports topics. Some of those guys I'm sure hound other media experts on Twitter to do the same thing. Why? Because they can.
KaibabKat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:There are about 20 active Rabb threads going on at TOS right now
I'll be danged.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-ight ...

IMO, you went a bit far in the other direction with your bumpfest, but whatever ...
salim'sheadband wrote:To piggyback off of what LWF said:

I post there a lot because enjoy the interaction with Scheer, Gershon, a few others. The thing that bothers me the most about TOS is that people will make threads with analysis or interesting points, that get maybe two or three responses. Someone makes a whole thread breaking down Player X's game . . . crickets. Then mental masturbation threads like "How about York_City tonight?!?!?!?" get 200. It's weird to me. There's a psychological phenomenon behind it that I don't understand.

I've said this before over there: People don't pay Scheer and Gershon for their opinions. They pay for the privilege of arguing with them. I just don't understand why people choose to pay for "insider" or whatever you want to call it information and then refuse to listen to the information those sources provide. It's like buying a newspaper and writing letters because you think the news is objectively incorrect. I can't think of a better analogy but maybe someone else will.

Oh yeah, and the incessant posting of the same topics. I mean I never felt like the one thread spanning five years was necessary like we had on the old site but they take it to a whole new level over there. Ex: Swanigan to MSU. Scheer starts a thread very obviously about that. Six hours later, another poster: "Swanigan to MSU." Twelve hours later: "Hey I don't know if anyone has seen this but . . . " And heaven forbid you say anything otherwise it's "Well I don't have 12 hours a day like you do to check the forums constantly!" No, but in the time you made that post you could have just seen what was on the forum.

The free forum is beyond bad. I tried it once and couldn't go back.
You've nailed that dynamic pretty well SHB. I couldn't understand why someone would continue to pay for a product they clearly don't enjoy or appreciate, but it's like the Howard Stern phenomenon back in the 80s and 90s, when people who hated him listened longer than people who loved him, for the same reason: wanting to hear what he'd say next.

Too much of the WA Premium Board is Clint Eastwood yelling at the Hmong Stanley Johnsons to get off their lawn, or stay another year.

To me, the most annoying thing is the daily threads asking the same question about whatever decision/event is looming. Right now, it's Stanley's decision. But it was like that for Rabb, and Trier, and Dorsey before that, and Gordon last year, and any number of basketball or football recruits coming in or players leaving that too many fans pin irrational hopes upon. For Fuck's Sake, don't you think if Scheer, Gershon, Duruaku, Cody, or knowledgeable contributors like 97 or Winger or HHM knew anything new they could share, that they would have shared it already, or share it ASAP? But Noooooooooo."I have to ask on a daily basis because I'm an important, impatient, impertinent fool, and I need to know now!!! And I don't care what you think about that, because I'm bored and frustrated! It's the basis of my "Howabownow?" chestnut that I've used since the GOAZCATS premium days.

Then of course, there's the York Wars. Unreal how petty and vindictive some get over that.

Scout Free Board = Village of the Damned. Or Pet Sematary, you choose.
Merkin wrote:Shouldn't Cattracks (aka Scout) be TOOS?

If I read the first post correctly, Goazcats is TOS.
GOAZCATS = TOS

Scout = Scout or WA. No real need to differentiate it otherwise.

Same for every other site, except the one site which shall not be named, one I refer to as "POS".
ASUHATER! wrote:Nba rosters stay together twice as long as college ones now. Pretty much a brand new team every other year (every year if you're Kentucky). The team of guys we will have in 2015 (tarc, York, Anderson, the 4 freshmen, Allen, risitc, etc..) will be a completely different team in 2017 with probably only 2-4 leftovers from the 2015 days.
Yeah, for some reason that doesn't diminish my excitement, maybe because I'm used to that type of turnover from the pros. I like the excitement of seeing new players for UA as well. I agree with those like the fair Spaceman that are frustrated with several aspects of CBB. I think there are some things that can be done to improve the game without homogenizing the game to NBA standards, and I think the officiating structure needs an overhaul. Positive change just comes so slowly in NCAA sports.
Alieberman wrote:I love when Tucson is a ghost town! A couple months of non-college douchebags around is fantastic!

I tend to agree, somewhat. For me the sweet spot is Labor Day-Thanksgiving and Ides of March-UA Graduation, when the weather usually cooperates, the snowbirds are not here clogging up the works, and yet the city still has some youthful vibrancy from the college population. Heat aside, I do enjoy many aspects of the Tucson summers - it's easier to get around, get into certain restaurants, less dbag factor - but I think I prefer the energy when UA's fall & spring semesters are in session.
Alieberman wrote:
Poppy - what used to be J-Bar - at La Paloma has a great patio for that, and a decent happy hour. Great spot to watch storms roll across the city.
Longhorned wrote:
I agree with this.

Scheer does fantastic work at Scout. With all of my complaints about those boards, why on earth would I subscribe if not for Scheer's work on that site? Also a genuinely nice guy.
Agree with both of you. Both Scheer and Gershon work insanely long hours, judged by the timestamps of several posts. I think they tread well the line of providing enriched content while still keeping their sources happy. Some people just don't understand that not every little thing or bit of info is for public or even semi-public consumption. But yeah, I don't get much of the complaints about Scheer.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

People think creating a thread makes them important. If you subtracted NBA forum threads, I started fewer than 200 in almost a decade at GOAZCATS.

That's 20 threads a year non-NBA.

Even here, if you take away Hot/Not related, I bet I'm under 50. Maybe even 30.

You can be valued without incessant thread creation. Some people should start threads and some people should respond. Most think they are the former. Tragically for most boards, most are barely the latter.

I love the mega thread. Makes searching for a post easy.

Had I created a seasonal mega thread for NBA stuff, I might have started only 200 threads in 10 years at the other site.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

In 10 years at GOAZCATS, I created 168 non-NBA, and 462 NBA threads.

Of my nearly 24,000 posts, 580 were started threads.

2.4% of my posts were were started threads.

There are folks at Scout who probably only post as threads.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Reydituto wrote:[But one feature of the vBulletin software GOAZ used was that it was really easy to go to the first unread post in any thread since your last log-in, from the fourm or topic list (You can do that here too once you are inside a thread, one more click, but still useful), which to me negated much of the complaint about the mega threads being so long and being difficult to navigate - it just wasn't that hard to see the newer posts.
You can do that here as well. Just click the yellow page looking button to the left of the thread titles.

I wish your classic multiquote was more user friendly on the scout forums. Love seeing those.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

pc in NM wrote:When I lived in Tucson, I ran five miles most days in the afternoon after work - I found that facing the heat head on like that resulted in never really feeling all that uncomfortable. The evenings were wonderful once the sunset approached/passed.

I engaged in a lot of outdoors activities - hiking, backpacking, birdwatching, drinking on the patio at the Shanty - and spent a lot of time in the mountains....

Similarly, when I lived in Alaska, I quickly learned that the "true" Alaskans really favored the snow-covered winter months to the summer....
Grew up in Phoenix, so I never felt the heat uncomfortable, but to me summer certainly wasn't the most pleasant time of the year. Take a few degrees off and get to a nice patio at sun down and it's great. Oh wait. I just described Tucson in the foothills. :) I love the desert, but give me March - May and September - November over July and August.

I appreciate your point about Alaska. I hear the summers suck up there. Mosquitos the size of humming birds? No, thanks.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Reydituto wrote:Many of the non-GOAZCATS-experienced posters there are so thin-skinned. I'll often review what I posted to see if it rationally deserves some of the irrational responses I get, as things tend to escalate quickly over there....
Recently a poster started a thread telling everyone to stop conjecturing about the future of D1 recruiting because college basketball itself may not even be around five years from now. His reasoning? "Things change. You never know." So I responded with something equally absurd about what the world will be like in five years. He said, "You don't need to be so nasty about it."
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You bastard, Longhorned. Quit trying to drown out his voice.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Reydituto wrote:Many of the non-GOAZCATS-experienced posters there are so thin-skinned. I'll often review what I posted to see if it rationally deserves some of the irrational responses I get, as things tend to escalate quickly over there....
Recently a poster started a thread telling everyone to stop conjecturing about the future of D1 recruiting because college basketball itself may not even be around five years from now. His reasoning? "Things change. You never know." So I responded with something equally absurd about what the world will be like in five years. He said, "You don't need to be so nasty about it."
The trailers for Mad Max: Fury Road have me thinking deep thoughts too.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

TucsonClip wrote:
Reydituto wrote:[But one feature of the vBulletin software GOAZ used was that it was really easy to go to the first unread post in any thread since your last log-in, from the fourm or topic list (You can do that here too once you are inside a thread, one more click, but still useful), which to me negated much of the complaint about the mega threads being so long and being difficult to navigate - it just wasn't that hard to see the newer posts.
You can do that here as well. Just click the yellow page looking button to the left of the thread titles.

I wish your classic multiquote was more user friendly on the scout forums. Love seeing those.
Awesome, thanks so much! Don't know how I missed that before. I got the "last post" page button, on the right side of the table next to the name of the last poster.

As for #2, aw shucks. Opening new tabs quoting each post, then cut & paste is the only way I can do it on Scout. Easier here, but I try to use it judiciously.

Longhorned wrote:
Missed that one, tried to find it and couldn't, but I did love your "True Summary" about Derryck Thornton. I also like the generic or lesser-brand pintos ...
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Anyone catch Farva's eulogy of TOS on TOS?

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=135295

Touching really, to see how far under his skin I am ...