If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by ANGCatFan »

Not sure if this is just a one time video to promote Biskin's business or if Matty D will do more videos on other places to eat in Tucson.

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

CalStateTempe wrote:El Guero Canelo
Best food I've had in Tucson since I've been here.

Then again, I usually am limited to eating at restaurants near campus.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Carlotta's Authentic Mexican at Lambert/La Canada. Delicious Tacos. $1 on Tuesdays
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

lemme just say if you haven't had some brats or other form of tubular meat from the Sausage Shop on Prince...well your life is less than mine.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:lemme just say if you haven't had some brats or other form of tubular meat from the Sausage Shop on Prince...well your life is less than mine.
I think NPR (KJZZ) here in Phoenix had a segment on them the other day.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:lemme just say if you haven't had some brats or other form of tubular meat from the Sausage Shop on Prince...well your life is less than mine.
Do they do a Weisswurst? Howabout some non-Germanic sausages?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:

Sausage parties and k-jzz? What's going on here?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
Here's part of their selection from what I saw.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Go for lunch sometime. They slice each piece of meat and cheese for each sandwich fresh. Great Rueben.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Indeed the Reuben is great. Last time I had a sammich there I stood for 10 mins anguishing over my choice
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote:
Ive seen weisswurst in the past. They have spools of different Italian style sausages, Linguiça and a killer Yugoslav sausage - not sure if those are considered non Germanic or not.

They have even more sausages in the freezers that aren't shown in SD's pic.

They are all well made with no filler. Real sausages that shrink when you cook them, unlike Johnsonville.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Here's part of their selection from what I saw.
What is missing is the AMAZING smell of the Sausage Shop! Like nowhere else.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Once when I was in there a lady had to excuse herself because she said the smell was "gross". I wanted to slap her more than anyone ever.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Once when I was in there a lady had to excuse herself because she said the smell was "gross". I wanted to slap her more than anyone ever.
She was probably a vegetarian along for the ride with a meat eater.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Truth spoken here. Love that place.
azgreg wrote:
I think that piece was about Schreiner's, which I also fully recommend for those in the Valley.

http://kjzz.org/content/134061/did-you- ... enix-1950s
Longhorned wrote:
Not sure how you quantify non-Germanic. I will say, they are my go-to place for English Bangers - buy them if you see them because they go fast. They also do a great Boudin Blanc, and some really tasty Boerewors. Plus all sorts of Italian style, one they call a "French Farmer's" (mild and herbal), a "Yugoslavian" (spicy beef & pork IIRC), solid Linguica, and it's where I go when I need a link of house-made Spanish Chorizo or Smoked Linguica for a meet & cheese board. Plus, some fantastic house cured & smoked bacons, traditional and flavored.

But Brats, traditional and American-ized flavored/filled styles (as seen in SD's pic), are their bread and butter.
scumdevils86 wrote:Here's part of their selection from what I saw.
Love the Dragoon Brats. Once in a while they'll do a Whisky Del Bac Brat which is great too.
wyo-cat wrote:What is missing is the AMAZING smell of the Sausage Shop! Like nowhere else.
No kidding, It truly is a place to luxuriate in, and carry that scent home.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Reydituto wrote:I think that piece was about Schreiner's, which I also fully recommend for those in the Valley.

http://kjzz.org/content/134061/did-you- ... enix-1950s
That's right, it was Schreiner's. very good stuff.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Cross Jacksons Tavern off the list, if it was ever on it. Went against my better judgement last night and had dinner there with the family. Place was half full and we waited 10 minutes for a waiter, 10-15 minutes for drinks and then 45 mins for our food(mostly burgers). After we ordered we never saw our waiter again. Drinks were alright but weak and the layour of the place is just odd. Numerous tables around us left early or complained about service or wrong orders. Wont be back and I would be shocked if they make it another 4 months
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Jefe wrote:Cross Jacksons Tavern off the list, if it was ever on it. Went against my better judgement last night and had dinner there with the family. Place was half full and we waited 10 minutes for a waiter, 10-15 minutes for drinks and then 45 mins for our food(mostly burgers). After we ordered we never saw our waiter again. Drinks were alright but weak and the layour of the place is just odd. Numerous tables around us left early or complained about service or wrong orders. Wont be back and I would be shocked if they make it another 4 months
This summer is going to be brutal for them.

Metzger needs to concentrate on Poppy, tighten the ship there and make that concept fulfill its vast potential, before he starts or continues with other half-baked concepts that are poorly matched with the Tucson market. A non-traditional overpriced taco shop? A New England seafood "tavern" where 95% of everything "seafood" comes in frozen? Not too bright.
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Clam "Chowda" was tasteless too.

Cant wait for Commoner & Co to show him hows its done. I dont know where his money is coming from but they are even bigger fools than him if they keep propping him up
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Glad I never bothered with th he tavern place then.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Jefe wrote:Clam "Chowda" was tasteless too.

Cant wait for Commoner & Co to show him hows its done. I dont know where his money is coming from but they are even bigger fools than him if they keep propping him up
That's a sin for anyone portending to offer "New England fare" [/airquotes].

With Wooters being hired as Executive Chef at Commoner & Co, that shouldn't take long.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

also glad I never bothered with the place...drive past it almost weekly.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Reydituto wrote:With Wooters being hired as Executive Chef at Commoner & Co, that shouldn't take long.
:lol: Stole their chef! Classic
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I guess I gave them too much credit. Didnt last a week after posting. I have way too much pull :lol:

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... -month-run
Jackson Tavern Closes After a Five Month Run

POSTED BY HEATHER HOCH ON MON, MAY 18, 2015 AT 8:30 AM

Fans of Brian Metzger's New England style eatery got some bad news on Saturday, May 16 when the restaurant announced its close via Facebook. The post from Jackson Tavern, which was located at 2900 N. Swan Road, said:

To our valued guests:
We are sad to report that effective immediately Jackson Tavern is closed.
We were excited to bring a taste of New England to Tucson and had hoped to serve our community for many years to come. Unfortunately the concept never took off the way that we thought it would and we won't have that opportunity. We would like to thank our staff for all of their hard work. We would like to thank our guests for all of their support, and would welcome the opportunity to serve you at Poppy Kitchen.

Metzger opened Jackson Tavern in December 2014, giving the restaurant just five months before closing on Saturday.

Ginny Wooters, who opened Jackson Tavern as the chef originally, will be going on to run the kitchen at Commoner & Co., according to owner Nathan Ares who also owns Prep & Pastry. The Range will have more on what to expect from that new space coming this week.

As for Metzger's restaurants, Poppy Kitchen remains open with Gio Taco recently closing downtown as well. The taco fusion concept shuttered in March of this year.
The "concept" never took off. Right...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Birthday dinner tonight. Planned on Poca Cosa but they are closed Mondays, along with a lot of other restaurants.

Haven't been to Kingfisher, recommendations?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I thought kingfisher was great. Only been once though
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I love Kingfisher.

I had so much great fun in and outside of that bar/restaurant.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://tucson.com/news/local/bankruptcy ... ?id=201408

McMahon’s Prime Steakhouse and Old Pueblo Grille remained closed Friday, a day after a U.S. bankruptcy court seized the properties as part of an unresolved bankruptcy.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I just always feel terrible for the people who work at these restaurants. They always seem to close so suddenly so who knows if they had any reasonable warning ahead of time. Most people who work in restaurants or food service don't have a ton of money laying around so if they are just unemployed without warning they are royally fucked.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Shitty news if you work for him, right SD.

Little known fact, Bob McMahon is a Scum...an ASU grad. I also heard he was embezzling money from another business that my friend was partnered with him. Bob was probably borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and it all collapsed.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My sister in law works at Wild Garlic Grill and I tried it out a few days ago. Amazing food. Give it a shot if you haven't been there yet.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ASUCatFan wrote:My sister in law works at Wild Garlic Grill and I tried it out a few days ago. Amazing food. Give it a shot if you haven't been there yet.
I keep meaning to go there but never have.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:My sister in law works at Wild Garlic Grill and I tried it out a few days ago. Amazing food. Give it a shot if you haven't been there yet.
It looks awesome.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I've never eaten there, but I've heard very mixed reviews of Wild Garlic. Overall, I've heard that success hasn't done wonders for the food or service, quite the opposite in fact.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Zero

Post by Zero »

My friends mom is an owner of the place. Top places in Tucson hands freakin down.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Prep & Pastry 2nd location opening up next to Zin Burger on Grant/Tanque Verde next Summer

http://tucson.com/entertainment/dining/ ... babf9.html
The popular brunch spot Prep & Pastry will bring its perfect poached eggs to the east side with a second location, set to open early next summer. The team is working with a.23 Studios to construct a 6,000-square foot building on an empty lot east of Zinburger at 6390 E. Grant Road.

The building will also house a Sauce Pizza and Wine. Prep & Pastry Co-owner Nathan Ares says they'll keep the same menu and vibe of the original restaurant, including a patio "that’s usable year-round."

"I’m very excited to go east side," he said. "You’ve got The Good Egg over there, Oink. We’ve got some great places over there, so we just wanted to join the fun."

The announcement comes on the heels of the team's June opening of the north-side dinner spot Commoner & Co. When the new Prep & Pastry opens, chef and partner Virginia Wooters will oversee the kitchens at all three restaurants.

The team is also currently in the process of expanding the original location's kitchen.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Brother John's Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Has Big Plans for Former Wildcat House

Gone are the days of cheap drinks and a packed dance floor at the Wildcat House. Since it closed in 2012, the former college bar staple has sat vacant, but brothers and third generation Tucsonans John and David Aldecoa are seeking to preserve its legacy while building something new in the space at Stone Avenue between Grant Road and Speedway Boulevard.

While keeping some of the building's key features like the large bar, cedar planks and some of the large decorative medallions on the wall, the building itself is in the middle of a massive overhaul. Switching from swamp cooling to air conditioning, installing a new roof and repaving the parking lot are some of the more basic changes, but the future of the space will be completely different from any of those fuzzy memories you might still have from its old days. John Aldecoa, who the bar and restaurant is named after, admits he has a few of those from his own days at UA.

He also says his idea for Brother John's is really at least three concepts in one. First, there's the barbecue, which will be overseen by chef Nate Eckhaus. Aldecoa assures that Eckhaus will bring a love of every barbecueing region in the states. That's because Eckhaus spent nine months touring and training in the ways of different barbecue styles all over the country, including at Texas' The Salt Lick, before helping open Blue Smoke in New York City with prominent restauranteur Danny Meyer.

The serious barbecue operation will focus on the cook of the meat to provide flavor because taking "great care" and spending the necessary time are they keys to good barbecue for Aldecoa. He says they will have barbecue sauce, but he's hoping guests won't even use it. The two large smokers will be able to produce up to 6,000 pounds of smoked meats per day, which is good because the restaurant itself will be able to seat about 300 at any given time. The restaurant will also have a private dining area called the Wildcat Room where many of the former bar's memorabilia will be displayed.

Since Aldecoa has fond memories of the Wildcat House, he says his restaurant will resurrect the Wildcat burger. When he took over the space, the former owner's recipe book was still in the kitchen, so he says he can bring back some of those nostalgic dishes with accuracy now. The restaurant will use almost exclusively locally raised meats and will also serve up sides with Sonoran flavors like a jalapeno cheddar corn bread.

However, Aldecoa says he doesn't want to pack people in quite like how Wildcat House did, though he expects live local music will draw in after dinner drinking crowds. A good portion of the seating will be in the new 2,400 square foot Bavarian-style biergarten patio that will be built in the process. Once ready, guests can order from about 50 beers on tap with a variety of local, national and international craft beers available. A small selection of wine will also be available on tap.

Last but not least, there's the whiskey program. Although the restaurant's name suggests a list skewing to bourbon, David Aldecoa says to expect one of the state's largest whiskey selections with old favorite, locally made whiskeys and specialty limited availability bottles. If you're one of those whiskey fan boys or girls that needs your Pappy Van Winkle, Aldecoa says you'll be able to get that too, along with a small selection of craft cocktails.

With all of that on the horizon, the brothers say you can expect to see Brother John's fully open and barbecuing by the end of September. While both brothers see the area as in need of some improvement, they are excited to be the first to bring new life to Stone Avenue.

"Look how much downtown has changed, but there's no more to do downtown. It's going to have to start coming back up," John Aldecoa says. "We're looking to lead the way and set the trend. If we do it right, and I think we will, it shouldn't be an issue."

Brother John's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrotherJohnsBBQ?fref=ts

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... dcat-house
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Don't know if it will work. The entire area around there is super ghetto and avoided like the plague by college kids.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I drive by there now and then when in Tucson since I used to go there weekly in the 80s, along with the Bum Steer and the Outlaw which were all within walking distances of each other, but there is nothing there now to make it a destination for any one.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The entire time I've been in Tucson and for the eight years or so that all those places were open they were always known as creepy meth head Tucson local bars that no college student would ever go to.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm with Merk. I frequented those places in the mid to late 80's. Heck, I even met my wife at the Bum Steer on White Wednesday night. Never known the area to be a meth head area though. Of course, I didn't know anything about meth then either.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

it's a lot different than it used to be. anyone under the age of about 35 would look at you like you're crazy if you mentioned places like the wildcat house or the bum steer.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:I'm with Merk. I frequented those places in the mid to late 80's. Heck, I even met my wife at the Bum Steer on White Wednesday night. Never known the area to be a meth head area though. Of course, I didn't know anything about meth then either.
The area between grant, stone, Speedway and the freeway is one of the most run down part of town and one of the worst off. Ever since I've been here (2004) that part of town and those bars are a complete no go zone for college kids. Lots of homeless people, dogs in yards, crack den looking places and crime. Hell anymore the college kids don't even go to 4th avenue. That's where the 40 year old locals go. College kids go downtown.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:I'm with Merk. I frequented those places in the mid to late 80's. Heck, I even met my wife at the Bum Steer on White Wednesday night. Never known the area to be a meth head area though. Of course, I didn't know anything about meth then either.
Actually met my wife at the Wildcat House during happy hour on Friday getting some Wildcat Burgers.

All college kids back then there and at the Bum Steer. Except for a few around campus bars (original Gentle Ben's, Green Dolphin, Stray Cat/Dooley's) most kids I knew hit up bars not around school. Chances was real popular and that was clear across town on Tanque Verde. Cowboys was on 22nd and Wilmot.

Just a guess, but that was about the time the crackdown on drunken driving really started. Also the drinking age was raised from 19 to 21, and that cut the number of college bars down.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

White Wednesday was cool, but Mexican Monday was when the real fiesta happened.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Japanese January was a swell month to party if you were Japanese.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:
Actually met my wife at the Wildcat House during happy hour on Friday getting some Wildcat Burgers.

All college kids back then there and at the Bum Steer. Except for a few around campus bars (original Gentle Ben's, Green Dolphin, Stray Cat/Dooley's) most kids I knew hit up bars not around school. Chances was real popular and that was clear across town on Tanque Verde. Cowboys was on 22nd and Wilmot.

Just a guess, but that was about the time the crackdown on drunken driving really started. Also the drinking age was raised from 19 to 21, and that cut the number of college bars down.
I met the ex-Mrs. BD89 at the original Gentle Ben's. :lol:

Stray Cat/Dooley's - I remember the names, but I can't place it. Where was it?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Brother Johns found old photos in the Wildcat House before demo'ing and posted them in an album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 758&type=3

Looks like they got approved for the GPLET 8 year tax break. First approved project outside of Downtown. $635k renovation
“Activation of this site will be instrumental in the revitalization of the Stone Ave. corridor and complements upcoming renovations to the apartment complex across the street,” according to a memo from the city manager’s office.

In the next step of the application process, an economic analysis must show the benefit to the government is greater than the benefit received by the developer and it must show the property value increasing by at least 100 percent.
azgreg wrote:Heck, I even met my wife at the Bum Steer on White Wednesday night
My parents met there as well :lol: 1982
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

BearDown89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I met the ex-Mrs. BD89 at the original Gentle Ben's. :lol:

Stray Cat/Dooley's - I remember the names, but I can't place it. Where was it?
University and Euclid. Was a church before it was a bar I believe. Burned down before I turned 19 so I was never inside.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Where was Chances?