The Push Present

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

The Push Present

Post by Olsondogg »

I just dropped some coin on some princess cut diamond earrings this morning...bought her a Tiffany's necklace for the first...this is some major bullshit right here. Who thought of this? Oprah?

38% of new mothers received a push present, and 55% of pregnant mothers wanted one...

And am I really in the minority here?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Re: The Push Present

Post by Longhorned »

At the risk of my family disowning me, I'm not buying it. Any of it. Nobody even gets birthday presents. Not even my wife. I was clear about this before the marriage started. One advantage is that I don't have to compete with my past self every year. I think it's all a load of crap.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think the same bitch who invented Sweetest Day came up with the Push Present. It's a steaming pile of bullshit, but if your wife is the only one who doesn't get an overpriced piece of jewelry then you're the asshole husband who doesn't love her as much as her friends are loved. So live with that if you can...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The push present, along with the push present progressive, should be a verb tense, giving sense to the element of effort and zest with which an action occurs. It alerts the listener or reader through lengthening the verb with additional consonants.

Present progressive: Bob is on the toilet working through his constipation.

Push present progressive: Bob is on the toilet worrrrking through his constipation.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never heard of it:

A push present (also known as a push gift, baby mama gift or baby bauble) is a present a father gives to the mother to mark the occasion of her giving birth to their child. In practice the present may be given before or after the birth, or even in the delivery room. The giving of push presents has supposedly grown in the United States in recent years.[1] A push gift is any type of present loved ones give to a woman who has recently given birth to a child.

If it was up to me I would be like Longhorned, never give or receive presents. My wife and kids wouldn't like that though. If I want something, I just go buy it. If I didn't buy it, I don't want it.

However, I do stick with never giving flowers ever. Last time I gave my wife flowers was when our baby daughter was born, over 21 years ago for the hospital room. She has not seen flowers from me since.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

All this kind of stuff to me always sounds like a version of the matrix...like it's got you and you're fucked so you might as well just lay back and do what's always going to occur, what will have occurred, what has always occurred, what will occur a billion trillion times over as history goes forward...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Shouldn't you use the money from a stupid push present to save for paying for the kid's college or something?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:All this kind of stuff to me always sounds like a version of the matrix...like it's got you and you're fucked so you might as well just lay back and do what's always going to occur, what will have occurred, what has always occurred, what will occur a billion trillion times over as history goes forward...
I just wish I'd taken the blue pill...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Shouldn't you use the money from a stupid push present to save for paying for the kid's college or something?
Oh we are doing that too...already have accounts set up for that, but I don't know if an algorithm has been written that estimates the cost of college in 15-20 years...

Speaking of algorithms...by bro in law once told me a saying that his father used to tell him about women, and it seems to apply here in push present-land with a slight modification...his dad said: "Pussy has the power of a thousand mules..." but I think it has the power of a thousand algorithms, simply because it evolves and it's power is never understood.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ODogg, call it a Push Present/Mother's Day gift and be done with it. Tis the season you unlucky bastard...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Never bought a push present. Weird idea
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well the push present money should be added to the existing funds. Considering the in state price of going to Arizona has more than tripled in 15 years, I wouldn't be surprised if in state tuition was about $25,000 a year in 15 years

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:ODogg, call it a Push Present/Mother's Day gift and be done with it. Tis the season you unlucky bastard...
Flowers that day...I always go flowers...

Oh and I did check in advance, if the second child needed a C-section, is there a clause in the push present rules considering that in that situation there is no pushing.

I was told that was surgery, and that the present should still be given for major surgery.

Tis the season to be fucked, Chi...that's true. I thought after getting the kitchen remodeled with new Caesarstone countertops that she wanted, along with new stainless appliances, and tile backsplashes...along with installing a new door to our bathroom with barn-door hardware, and painting and furnishing the Nursery #2, I would have some buffer against being an asshole for at least a minute, if not getting out of the fucking push present.

No. I am fucked. Cause I have no hand...and I need it.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Sounds like another bs thing made up to sell more shit. I would say, if you want a present, you got to earn it. All natural or no present. None of this getting analgesia with no pain. Badassity required for rewards!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

C-section for the twins - I guess I got lucky, no push present since there was no pushing.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Never heard of this nonsense. And I don't think my wife has either. She's just over 5 months in with our first right now. Like LH, we called a truce on most presents for Hallmark holidays or 'expected' times. My wife is awesome.

And what is with these stories of photographers bamboozling parents in the hospital right after birth, selling $100-$600 picture packages??? Fuckkk that, I'll have no problem saying no thanks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pokinmik wrote:And what is with these stories of photographers bamboozling parents in the hospital right after birth, selling $100-$600 picture packages??? Fuckkk that, I'll have no problem saying no thanks.
When my youngest was born the hospital photographer came in and snapped a bunch of pics. She must have been new or something because she printed some out and left them with us and the sheet showing how much the packages were and told us to think it over and she'd be back. So we spent the 15 minutes she was gone snapping pics of the printed out pictures with our cell phones and ended up getting some really nice shots of our newborn for free. Thanks overpriced and not-too-smart photographer!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
pokinmik wrote:And what is with these stories of photographers bamboozling parents in the hospital right after birth, selling $100-$600 picture packages??? Fuckkk that, I'll have no problem saying no thanks.
When my youngest was born the hospital photographer came in and snapped a bunch of pics. She must have been new or something because she printed some out and left them with us and the sheet showing how much the packages were and told us to think it over and she'd be back. So we spent the 15 minutes she was gone snapping pics of the printed out pictures with our cell phones and ended up getting some really nice shots of our newborn for free. Thanks overpriced and not-too-smart photographer!
Extortion, meet Piracy. Love it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I should mention that after our first was born, and I gave my wife her first push present, I also spent the $250 on the hospital photos that show us extremely tired and ready to go home. You see my son had jaundice, and we had to stay in the hospital for a couple extra days...and we would have agreed to anything after that second extra night in the hospital.

So in essence, this thread shows that I am a pushover in every sense of the word.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

So glad my gf (and future wife) is nothing like this. She is usually far more practical and cheaper than I am yet is brilliant and has great taste in most everything. She planned the wedding in her head already and it is already done smartly (yet tastefully) for a very appealing budget to my wallet. She's a keeper.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Push present? Hospital photos? Spend it on a vasectomy. Already have your balls.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

wyo-cat wrote:C-section for the twins - I guess I got lucky, no push present since there was no pushing.
Calls for cut diamonds.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I got my wife a burrito.

You're welcome. :)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And BTW scum, we have been taking out daughter out to all these fancy restaurants at all times when normal people eat. She is great! Not a peep, just smiles at people, looks around, and plays with this little stuffed dog we got her.

We get compliments from everyone, drunk businessmen, servers, families, russian babes, etc.

No 5-6:30 dinner for us.

I wish I had you're posts from TOS...you'll be joining us married, parent folk in no time. ;)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:And BTW scum, we have been taking out daughter out to all these fancy restaurants at all times when normal people eat. She is great! Not a peep, just smiles at people, looks around, and plays with this little stuffed dog we got her.

We get compliments from everyone, drunk businessmen, servers, families, russian babes, etc.

No 5-6:30 dinner for us.

I wish I had you're posts from TOS...you'll be joining us married, parent folk in no time. ;)
Well you're the exception to the rule for sure.

gumby

Post by gumby »

We took our son (first born) everywhere -- movies, airplanes, restaurants ... always quiet. Even brought him to a job interview.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

gumby wrote:We took our son (first born) everywhere -- movies, airplanes, restaurants ... always quiet. Even brought him to a job interview.
Haha, Victoria too! She helped wih landing a great offer in a geographically undesirable location which we ultimately turned down. She's been on 5 cross continental rt flights and tons of resturants, shopping, metros etc. all in 8.5 mo of life. Took me 16 years before my first flight!

Never a peep she just looks around and takes it all in with a big smile.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

What?! This is total BS. Yet another gift that the man has to give to the woman...?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

*smirk*
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:*smirk*
*gives invisible rep*
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote:What?! This is total BS. Yet another gift that the man has to give to the woman...?
let them have their push presents.

Just make them give the men pump presents
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I gave my wife the presents 9 months in advance and let the doctor help her unwrap them.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sometimes after a difficult dump I feel like I deserve a present or award.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just a little update, which made this experience all the nicer...the wife checked the bank account, which (I thought) she never really does...and I got a text to the effect of "What is this charge for? What did you buy for that amount?"

So yeah, this is all working out nicely.
smashmode

Post by smashmode »

Push Present? What the heck is that non-sense. My 'gift' to her is being the one that has to wake up every night because my kid wakes up and wants to come into bed with us.