PerpEph

Re: Mid-August

Post by PerpEph »

Mayo is wonderful.

Bleu Cheese is Satan's dandruff.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

You guys are missing the point entirely. A sun kissed summer tomato with mayo, salt and pepper on soft white bread is a simple thing of beauty in and of itself. My great grandmother's old Italian gardener used to make them just like that when we were kids. They were perfect.

Any kind of hot cooked tomato, that is not sauce, is just a mushy tasteless waste of a good ripe tomato.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Never been big on the taste of raw tomato by itself
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BearDown89 wrote:You guys are missing the point entirely. A sun kissed summer tomato with mayo, salt and pepper on soft white bread is a simple thing of beauty in and of itself. My great grandmother's old Italian gardener used to make them just like that when we were kids. They were perfect.

Any kind of hot cooked tomato, that is not sauce, is just a mushy tasteless waste of a good ripe tomato.
I feel the opposite. Cooked tomatoes offer so much more flavorwise than raw.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Never been big on the taste of raw tomato by itself
Like a good garden fresh ripe tomato? Not some grocery store mush - commercial industrial tomatoes are crap.

You're a culinary dude. That's what the salt and pepper is for, to bring out the taste of the sun.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Eh I've had garden fresh ones and they are light years better than the grocery store but it still doesn't always do it for me
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Mayo is disgusting.

I used to eat it as a kid, but can't stand even a hint of it as an adult.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PerpEph wrote:
Bleu Cheese is Satan's dandruff.
:lol:
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Foods I will not eat...bleu cheese, tea, flavored seltzer water, usually celery (worthless veggie), papaya, well done red meat...anything else I haven't tried yet
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Foods I will not eat...anything else I haven't tried yet
So you never try new things?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Foods I will not eat...bleu cheese, tea, flavored seltzer water, usually celery (worthless veggie), papaya, well done red meat...anything else I haven't tried yet
If I want flavor in a seltzer water, then I put a lime in it. Lemon-lime flavored seltzer water tastes lemon-lime scented shaving foam smells. Raspberry flavored seltzer water tastes like the smell of the stuff people spray after taking a dump.

I won't eat red or yellow bell peppers. Love green bell peppers. And every other pepper in the world.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I won't eat red or yellow bell peppers. Love green bell peppers. And every other pepper in the world.
I like all the bell peppers plus all the different colors look great in a salad.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Foods I will not eat...bleu cheese, tea, flavored seltzer water, usually celery (worthless veggie), papaya, well done red meat...anything else I haven't tried yet
If I want flavor in a seltzer water, then I put a lime in it. Lemon-lime flavored seltzer water tastes lemon-lime scented shaving foam smells. Raspberry flavored seltzer water tastes like the smell of the stuff people spray after taking a dump.

I won't eat red or yellow bell peppers. Love green bell peppers. And every other pepper in the world.
But red yellow and green are all the same thing haha. All taste virtually the same.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

But red yellow and green are all the same thing haha. All taste virtually the same.
That's true. If you ever grow green peppers, if you leave them on the plant they will eventually turn yellow, then red. That's why yellow and red cost more and why I generally always buy green.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
I meant that there could be something else out there I don't like I just haven't had it yet. I'll try anything
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

That's true. If you ever grow green peppers, if you leave them on the plant they will eventually turn yellow, then red. That's why yellow and red cost more and why I generally always buy green.
You guys are absolutely wrong. Red, yellow, and orange have a sweetness that carries a completely different flavor profile. The greens haven't developed those sugars and have a bitter profile that lots of people find off-putting.

I'd probably like the reds, too, if one of my ex gf's father hadn't forced me to be polite and keep eating more and more of his roasted red peppers in olive oil, until I went outside and laid down in the street.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
I meant that there could be something else out there I don't like I just haven't had it yet. I'll try anything
ahh, gotcha

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote: I'd probably like the reds, too, if one of my ex gf's father hadn't forced me to be polite and keep eating more and more of his roasted red peppers in olive oil, until I went outside and laid down in the street.
Father kept feeding you them till you couldn't stand it.

Ex gf.

Looks like the old man may have had a plan ;)

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Longhorned wrote: I'd probably like the reds, too, if one of my ex gf's father hadn't forced me to be polite and keep eating more and more of his roasted red peppers in olive oil, until I went outside and laid down in the street.
Father kept feeding you them till you couldn't stand it.

Ex gf.

Looks like the old man may have had a plan ;)
That was in Spain. She was Spanish and planning to stay in California with me. So you're right. But you know how he convinced her to return to Spain? By threatening to die. Not of anything in particular. It gives me no pleasure to say this, but that guilt convinced her to return to Spain, whereupon he died of botulism. Homemade peppers in olive oil, anyone?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Flavor profile? That's a thing? Like a serial killer?
Longhorned wrote:
I'd probably like the reds, too, if one of my ex gf's father hadn't forced me to be polite and keep eating more and more of his roasted red peppers in olive oil, until I went outside and laid down in the street.
Just think of the germs.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Flavor profile? That's a thing? Like a serial killer?
Oh, I don't know. It's probably a term I use just to defend my unsophisticated taste and feel better about myself.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Mayo on tomato is a solid combo. I'm very particular with sandwich assembly, and I always make sure the top of the sadwich goes bread/mayo/ tomato/ lettuce in that order. the rest of the sandwich can vary.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Gato Salvaje wrote:Mayo on tomato is a solid combo. I'm very particular with sandwich assembly, and I always make sure the top of the sadwich goes bread/mayo/ tomato/ lettuce in that order. the rest of the sandwich can vary.
So does that mean the lettuce goes over the tomato? Does that reduce tomato-induced tectonic shift? You know, when the tomato slice causes the whole sandwich to slide apart?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I agree with those historians of mayonnaise who conclude that many people raised in the U.S. claim to dislike mayo but actually don't dislike it.
They, including me, claim to dislike something they like? Tell me more.
For those of you who don't hold that affectation of disliking mayonnaise, will I be the last person here to discover Blue Plate mayo?

I stopped doing regular supermarkets because of all the mask-less people there, so I can't get Best Foods unless I buy a tub of it on Amazon Prime.

Then I accidentally hit upon some reviews of Blue Plate, from New Orleans, which is supposedly the greatest mayo ever. I ordered a regular sized jar of it arriving tomorrow. Taste tests consistently beat Best Foods/Hellmans, Dukes, and the rest. It's made with egg yokes instead of the whole egg. I can't imagine anything better than Best Foods. Dukes is fine but every other mayo falls so short for me that they're not even worth using.

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/ ... re-article" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Blech...yuck
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reviews are outstanding for Blue Plate mayo! And cheap too.

Next time I fly out to see my daughter, I am bringing my own mayo since she does not use it. 3 weeks without it. Mayo just makes sandwiches less dry when trying to choke them down. Don't need to gob a lot on. Also required to make the Mexican style grilled corn on the cob.

Makes an emergency substitute for butter on grilled cheese too. https://blueplatemayo.com/recipes/perfe ... ed-cheese/" target="_blank

Gato Salvaje wrote:Mayo on tomato is a solid combo. I'm very particular with sandwich assembly, and I always make sure the top of the sadwich goes bread/mayo/ tomato/ lettuce in that order. the rest of the sandwich can vary.

I used to have those all the time.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The fact that we have a mayo thread shows how badly we need more diversity on these boards.

Fuck Mayo
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:The fact that we have a mayo thread shows how badly we need more diversity on these boards.

Fuck Mayo
Mayo is huuuuuge in Mexico and among our indigenous friends right here in Sonora. Of course it's big in Japan, and everyone loves the Kewpie. African American cooking supposedly uses it in ways I've never thought of. And I've seen some stuff online about famous Jewish people who secretly eat their deli favorites with Mayo because sandwiches are just better that way in spite of Waspy expectations of deli food -- it's the origin of Hellman's!

I'm all for self reflection and my much-deserved self shame, but mayo is a friend to the world!

I had internalized that both mayo and ketchup are somehow lowbrow foods. In Turkey, people felt sorry for me on both accounts. Who is this poor guy trying to choke down his kebab all dry like that?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I just put mayo on my burger. But just a little to moisten the bread and let it meld with the juice of the burger without becoming soggy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:I just put mayo on my burger. But just a little to moisten the bread and let it meld with the juice of the burger without becoming soggy.
Don't come to me for medical advice - or any advice - but if anyone doesn't want to use mayo on the bun, then butter it. Personally, I butter it, grill the buttered bun until it's toasted, and then add mayo even so!

This post has been brought to you by Fat Boy. Fat Boy!

A-look on down the cul-de-sac, and there he comes a-waddling, he's Fat Boy. Fat Boy!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Mayo is only needed if your sandwich sucks.

I just put in an order from Sausage Deli..... no fucking Mayo!!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Mayo is only needed if your sandwich sucks.

Double aioli?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Don't come to me for medical advice
But you a doctor! Says right so on your checks.

Longhorned wrote:but if anyone doesn't want to use mayo on the bun, then butter it. Personally, I butter it, grill the buttered bun until it's toasted, and then add mayo even so!
Try your mayo on your grilled cheese sandwiches instead of butter and see if your family notices.

and Mexican street corn required mayo!

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Mayo is only needed if your sandwich sucks.

Mayo is only not needed if your sandwich has no bread.

Why does Sausage Deli and every other sandwich place in Tucson close on Sundays? Sausage Deli was open on Sunday when I was in college. I want a sandwich on Sunday, and nobody wants to go to Baggins or Beyond Bread.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The only way to redeem mayo is through ketchup.

Step 1. start with a fresh garbage bag
Step 2. dump mayo in the garbage
Step 3. squirt ketchup on top of mayo
Step 4. mayo is now worth the time needed for disposal
Step 5. throw out garbage
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote:The only way to redeem mayo is through ketchup.

Ketchup and mayo mix was very popular in Germany when I was there.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:

Put it in beer and just about anything gets popular.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:

Isn't that 1000 island dressing.... the worst excuse for a salad dressing ever.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Isn't that 1000 island dressing.... the worst excuse for a salad dressing ever.
Dunno, but even if it is it is only elevated to a level worthy of disposal by being made not mayo. I imagine one could use cat piss in place of ketchup.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Mayo is God's condiment.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:Mayo is God's condiment.
Then I’m atheist
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Roast beef sandwich...mayo and horseradish
Turkey club... mayo
BLT.... absolutely mayo
Salami and cheese...mayo and mustard
Ham and cheese... mayo

Every single one of those cold sandwiches are drastically worse without the fat and moisture from mayo.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Mayo is God's condiment.
Then I’m atheist
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand CUT!

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Roast beef sandwich...mayo and horseradish
Turkey club... mayo
BLT.... absolutely mayo
Ham and cheese... mayo

Every single one of those cold sandwiches are drastically worse without the fat and moisture from mayo.
You could just use white lithium grease and a luggie.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Turkey club... mayo
BLT.... absolutely mayo
Ham and cheese... mayo

Can you even eat bologna without mayo? And why no love for bologna sandwiches in that other thread?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Turkey club... mayo
BLT.... absolutely mayo
Ham and cheese... mayo

Can you even eat bologna without mayo? And why no love for bologna sandwiches in that other thread?
When I was 19 I lost 50 pounds in one semester running six miles every night at the Rincon High School Track, taking a shower, and then eating the only substance I consumed all day: one bologna sandwich with mayo. Every day for 15 weeks. You can do anything to a 19 year-old body. I'd eat that bologna sandwich on the floor of my room so Schnebly would leave me alone.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You should all treat yourself to a jar of Blue Plate mayonnaise. It doesn't even have the texture mayo-haters hate. It's obviously still an emulsion but the egg yokes give it the rich creaminess of a sour cream. So you can see how it would be way better for making dressings and stuff with. And the taste itself is like Best Foods/Hellman's, but the texture takes it to a different level.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:You should all treat yourself to a jar of Blue Plate mayonnaise. It doesn't even have the texture mayo-haters hate.
When I read this I heard:

You should all treat yourself to a jar of Blue Plate possum shit. It doesn't even have the texture possum shit-haters hate.

I should be relieved, but strangely I'm not. There must be something wrong with me.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I can’t get past the raw egg