Meat Eating

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Meat Eating

Post by Merkin »

the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I've changed the way I grill tri-tip. No more marinade. Just salt and pepper, get a good sear over charcoal, and then move it to a slightly cooler part of the grill and let it finish cooking.

I like tri-tip and skirt steak even more than rib-eye now. I've also decided that sirloin is way underrated. Such a great flavor. My expensive meat cut snobbery has been a complete waste of my life.
I feel like you're doing something terribly wrong to your rib-eye. Sirloin?
I've never grilled a good sirloin without marinating it like restaurants do. Too lean, and no grain.

Ribeyes are so marbled even a cav....

Oh never mind.

But it's been years since I bought sirloin.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I've changed the way I grill tri-tip. No more marinade. Just salt and pepper, get a good sear over charcoal, and then move it to a slightly cooler part of the grill and let it finish cooking.

I like tri-tip and skirt steak even more than rib-eye now. I've also decided that sirloin is way underrated. Such a great flavor. My expensive meat cut snobbery has been a complete waste of my life.
I feel like you're doing something terribly wrong to your rib-eye. Sirloin?
Even if I were, I also get a nice bone-in ribeye at fine steakhouses. No complaints. I'm just saying I'm missing out if it's all grilled ribeye and prime rib roast.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:I rarely see brisket in Tucson. And I need one soon to make a corned beef.

Was at Smart and Final today. They had brisket for $2.79. That might be a nationwide deal. But they also had tri-tip for $2.79 so had to make a choice, and tri-tip usually wins.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The misses picked up a brisket at Fry's the other day.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I rarely see brisket in Tucson. And I need one soon to make a corned beef.

Was at Smart and Final today. They had brisket for $2.79. That might be a nationwide deal. But they also had tri-tip for $2.79 so had to make a choice, and tri-tip usually wins.
What's a smart and final?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

http://www.smartandfinal.com/" target="_blank

Nine in the Phoenix area, none in Tucson.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah I have never heard of it. They didn't exist in Phoenix when I lived there.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Actually had no idea Tucson didn't have any. Used to be a restaurant supply store that anyone could shop at, similar to Costco with large quantity items. But a few years ago they went to a more conventional grocery store approach with their Extra stores. Still can buy large quantity items, like a case of bananas and so on.

Even though there a quite a few where I live now, they are taking over some of the Haggen fiasco stores.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
Even though there a quite a few where I live now, they are taking over some of the Haggen fiasco stores.

The Safeway at Houghton and Broadway was sold to Haggen's as part of the Albertson's - Safeway merger conditions.
They went out of business in a few months, the store was auctioned off, Albertson's/Safeway bought it and it's being converted back to a Safeway. :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

I found a prime tri tip at the store today for 5.77 a pound. Sounds like the recommendation in this thread is just dry rub and smoke at 225 over oak? What internal temperature do you usually pull it?

Dry rub of salt, pepper, and garlic?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

the real dill wrote:I found a prime tri tip at the store today for 5.77 a pound. Sounds like the recommendation in this thread is just dry rub and smoke at 225 over oak? What internal temperature do you usually pull it?

I've never smoked tri-tip, but the rub, wood and temp is right for grilling. Never let it get over 140. Let it rest 10 minutes and slice against the grain.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
the real dill wrote:I found a prime tri tip at the store today for 5.77 a pound. Sounds like the recommendation in this thread is just dry rub and smoke at 225 over oak? What internal temperature do you usually pull it?

I've never smoked tri-tip, but the rub, wood and temp is right for grilling. Never let it get over 140. Let it rest 10 minutes and slice against the grain.
I don't smoke it, either. On a charcoal grill, I start by cooking it over direct heat to get a good char with grill lines on both sides, then moving it to a cooler part and cooking it to the 140.

Due to cooking for a pregnant lady, I was forced to cook it to 150 and let it get to 160 while resting. It was still delicious.*

* Cooking meat well-done for a pregnant lady is what forced me to move outside of ribeye. It would kill me to overcook a ribeye.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I don't smoke it, either. On a charcoal grill, I start by cooking it over direct heat to get a good char with grill lines on both sides, then moving it to a cooler part and cooking it to the 140.

Due to cooking for a pregnant lady, I was forced to cook it to 150 and let it get to 160 while resting. It was still delicious.*

* Cooking meat well-done for a pregnant lady is what forced me to move outside of ribeye. It would kill me to overcook a ribeye.
This is how I cook all steak. 2 minutes on each side on direct heat, and then move to indirect heat for the last 8 or so minutes (2 inch thick cut of meat). I'll give that a try. I just read tri-tip was supposed to be cooked on oak so I assumed smoking was the way to go.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

For steaks I do the reverse sear.

On smoking tri-tip I have never done it but I belong to this Facebook BBQ group https://www.facebook.com/groups/978787618829152/" target="_blank and see pictures who have done it.

Tri-tip is done on an open pit over oak out here in the central coast.

Santa Maria style:

Someone smoking a tri-tip:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thought I would try smoking a tri-tip myself this weekend. It was very easy, and quite good, but I needed to add more wood chips more often, not quite as smoky as I like. Also didn't have the hard bark I like.

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Merkin wrote:Thought I would try smoking a tri-tip myself this weekend. It was very easy, and quite good, but I needed to add more wood chips more often, not quite as smoky as I like. Also didn't have the hard bark I like.

I ended up grilling mine over cherry and hickory. Came out great. I should have taken pictrues. I asked another buddy, and he said smoking it makes it have way to too smoky of a flavor. Tri-tip is a pretty good cut of meat unlike brisket which needs to be slow smoked to break down the connective tissue.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Local grocer had filet mignon for $7.99 pound. Picked some up for the wife's birthday.

Did the reverse sear method to perfection.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beautiful, Merk.

My wife's sister and brother are coming for an overlapping, week-long visit. Both vegetarians offended by the very sight of meat. I've grown tired of this dilemma and I'm deciding just to take care of myself. They can eat the bread or whatever didn't touch the meat.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:Beautiful, Merk.

My wife's sister and brother are coming for an overlapping, week-long visit. Both vegetarians offended by the very sight of meat. I've grown tired of this dilemma and I'm deciding just to take care of myself. They can eat the bread or whatever didn't touch the meat.
Good...don't give in my man
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Longhorned wrote:Beautiful, Merk.

You should just go out to eat every night. Let them figure the rest out for themselves.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I would like a setup like this.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I would put it further out on the patio facing the other direction. Really don't like looking at a brick wall, besides the smoke getting into the house.

Looking at Zillow for my youngest brother's house, this is his setup.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You can see the discoloration on the bricks from the grill. I'm not as concerned about the appearance as the experience of that hot, rising soot in my face as I man the grill. Facing the pool or whatever is the way to go.

Couldn't afford it regardless, but I'd also want to add a sink if I had money because I'm married to Gloria Estefan or whatever.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I agree, I wouldn't have it against the house. I just like the setup with the main grill in the middle there and the Egg. I would like a bit more counter space though.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When I looked into smokers, I read reviews and decided against the Big Green Egg. Still, a Big Green Egg would be much better than what I ended up getting: nothing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Here is my setup. Propane grill facing away from the house. Electric smoker is near the house. Santa Maria style grill is under the tarp.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The bar with barrels as legs is excellent.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Getting the keys for the our new place Monday.

Wife: "You wanna go get a Fridge for delivery this week"

CST: "Sure, but I'm going to buy myself a grill"

backstory, I've wanted a patio grill all year, even though the apartment prohibits patio grills. I counted 60% of tenets have a damn grill, but my wife is a stickler for rules. I'm more of a spirit of the law type of guy.

So I went out an bought this:

Char-Griller duo and side fire box for smoking. I know the reviews are variable, but I figure its a good entry level price to learn how to smoke, and can let me propane and charcoal grill as well. Anyone ever cook on one of these things, or with an offset smoker? Open to any tips.

Fired up, no pun intended, for my daughters B-day party this weekend.

This is gonna be my next purchase
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin wrote:Here is my setup. Propane grill facing away from the house. Electric smoker is near the house. Santa Maria style grill is under the tarp.

Nice rock garden! :D
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy