The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BearDown89

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:
UAdevil wrote:Mattress Firm. What. The. Fuck. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but in Tucson and Phoenix it seems that every other major street intersection has 2, sometimes even 3 separate stores across from each other. Is there that much demand for mattresses? I mean, I buy one a decade maybe...

There are at least 25 Mattress Firms in metro Tucson...

Are their mattresses THAT good or is this the most ingenious front ever?
It's the same in Chicago. Mattress stores are popping up everywhere suddenly. I have no idea why, and I suspect they'll all be closed again in a few years. People just don't buy mattresses that often.
Same in Boise. Everywhere. Recent letter to the editor in the paper inquired if anyone knew where to buy a mattress. We have two directly across the street from each other at an intersection near my house. One is in a converted KFC/A&W store, and they literally built the one across the street new from the ground up on an old used car lot. Three . . . I mean four around the mall according to this article.

http://www.thenewsletterpro.com/they-ha ... urrounded/" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I just counted 33 mattress firms in the Tucson area. dafuq.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Forget secret FEMA camps...investigate what Mattress Firm is REALLY up to...because it can't really just be about mattresses right? Lol
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:I just counted 33 mattress firms in the Tucson area. dafuq.
Just mentioning the same thing to my son the other day out here on the Central Coast.

Sure must be good money in mattresses.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

High-margin and low overhead

Mattresses offer one of the best profit margins in retail. While some grocery store chains might earn a 5 percent profit margin, mattresses have a markup in the 40 to 50 percent range, according to Consumer Reports. According to one study, a $3,000 mattress might only cost $300 to manufacture — a 900 percent markup.

Mattress stores often have low overhead, often dealing with factory-direct products and paying employees a commission-based salary. This might explain how mattress stores can support those seemingly empty showrooms with only one employee sitting behind a desk.

“If you sold three or four beds a day and your average ticket is $1,000, that’s a $4,000-dollar day, times 365. All of a sudden you’ve got more than a million-dollar business there,” Sam Woods, Senior Vice President of Sales for Mattress Firm, told WBEZ.

According to a report from PsychologyToday, a mall location may only need to sell 20 mattresses a month to cover its rent.
http://wgntv.com/2016/03/16/why-are-the ... -business/" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thinking back to old times, I still can't understand why posters eventually stop posting. Posting here, and in our previous incarnations of sites, is so central to my identity and orientation to the world that I'm pretty sure I'll never stop. I get when there's a scandal, as with Auer, or a disagreement, as will WilmasPimp or ByJoveByJingle (both driven off by Auer?), but I can't for the life of me understand how TopCat could stop posting.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah it is weird to think about how much time I've spent here and at TOS in the last 12 years. 12 years. Shit that's a long time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never did figure why Officer Craig stopped. He had plenty disagreements with Auer, but did outlast him.

Walk On Wildcat has his life back in order without the misses, and same with him.

Maybe they don't sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day like I do.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, if I'm in a meeting and alone on my side of the table, I post while people speak. I adopt an expression like I'm listening and taking notes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAdevil wrote:Forget secret FEMA camps...investigate what Mattress Firm is REALLY up to...because it can't really just be about mattresses right? Lol
I think it's about importing drugs.

Longhorned wrote:Thinking back to old times, I still can't understand why posters eventually stop posting. Posting here, and in our previous incarnations of sites, is so central to my identity and orientation to the world that I'm pretty sure I'll never stop. I get when there's a scandal, as with Auer, or a disagreement, as will WilmasPimp or ByJoveByJingle (both driven off by Auer?), but I can't for the life of me understand how TopCat could stop posting.
I quit once.

Once........
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAdevil wrote:Mattress Firm. What. The. Fuck. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but in Tucson and Phoenix it seems that every other major street intersection has 2, sometimes even 3 separate stores across from each other. Is there that much demand for mattresses? I mean, I buy one a decade maybe...

No shit. Our neighborhood Five Guys was replaced by Mattress Firm. WTF?

My sister just dropped big bucks on that sleep by numbers B.S. My current mattress is 20 years old. I'd rather have messy cheeseburgers and cajun fries.
Right where I want to be.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:

No shit. Our neighborhood Five Guys was replaced by Mattress Firm. WTF?

My sister just dropped big bucks on that sleep by numbers B.S. My current mattress is 20 years old. I'd rather have messy cheeseburgers and cajun fries.
You can have them both! Just take your dinner into your bed. You might want to be careful with that cajun sauce as it might burn your skin through the pajamas or worse if you sleep au natural.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's gone! Replaced by Mattress Firm. I'd have to drive across town. Too far. Though I could use all the mattress stores as rest stops.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:It's gone! Replaced by Mattress Firm. I'd have to drive across town. Too far. Though I could use all the mattress stores as rest stops.
Yeah, that business about the new mattress "test drive" where you lay down and try out different models. We should totally start a nation-wide problem where "customers" just stop in for a nap. Low overhead, huh? Let's see how good your single on-duty employee is at moving dead weight. Soon, our photos will be posted in the break rooms of multiple locations.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:It's gone! Replaced by Mattress Firm. I'd have to drive across town. Too far. Though I could use all the mattress stores as rest stops.
Yeah, that business about the new mattress "test drive" where you lay down and try out different models. We should totally start a nation-wide problem where "customers" just stop in for a nap. Low overhead, huh? Let's see how good your single on-duty employee is at moving dead weight. Soon, our photos will be posted in the break rooms of multiple locations.
My client and I were just talking yesterday about how we should open up one of those Tokyo-style nap pod places.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
My client and I were just talking yesterday about how we should open up one of those Tokyo-style nap pod places.
In America, we nap for free at the closest Mattress Firm location, usually located, well, right over there. No, behind you. Yeah.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here you go Merk.

https://teechip.com/arznold" target="_blank

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That does look pretty sharp in Navy, and large sizes too since I am a big guy and like oversized hoodies.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Want
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Though I am old, the other part would be a lie because I graduated from UCSB. My love for U of A can't be surpassed, obviously, so maybe the lie is partly true.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Longhorned wrote:Though I am old, the other part would be a lie because I graduated from UCSB. My love for U of A can't be surpassed, obviously, so maybe the lie is partly true.

UCSB. I see you headed down that hill LH, with a board under one arm and a volleyball under the other. A few games---then you grab your stick and get wet. Prof. Longhorned, we're going to start addressing you as "Dude"!
Last edited by EOCT on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Mattresses, schmattresses-----a new one won't help you get to sleep.

I suggest writing "yawn" on a piece of paper four times. Then repeat. Works once in a while.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Greg, you must be a member of this group, that's a common meme, although first time I have seen that image.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Weirdstufftucson" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I did get that off of Facebook, but it came from one of my wife's family members. Who knows where they got it from.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Anyone ever notice how horrible hotel toilets are at their one and only job of sucking? Good grief, doesn't matter if you're in a Motel 6 in Cross Lanes West Virginia or the Fairmont in downtown Seattle.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Anyone ever notice how horrible hotel toilets are at their one and only job of sucking? Good grief, doesn't matter if you're in a Motel 6 in Cross Lanes West Virginia or the Fairmont in downtown Seattle.
The place we recently stayed at in Pinetop (Roundhouse Resort) had one impressive toilet. Flushed fast with a minimum amount of water. Never had to re-flush.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Greg, you must be a member of this group, that's a common meme, although first time I have seen that image.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Weirdstufftucson" target="_blank
Spent a little time on thier page last night. Lots of interesting posts.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Its amazing what cake does for office morale.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If you're ever in Sac and want to pig out...

http://ricksdessertdiner.com" target="_blank
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Planning Weddings :(
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's why you do what I am doing...not having one! Just a ceremony for 2 on the beach in Oregon and that's that! Having a party in Tucson at Pueblo Vida Brewery in August for close friends and family. No stress, no mess, and about 1/10 the cost.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Is there anything you can't find on the internet?

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

scumdevils86 wrote:That's why you do what I am doing...not having one! Just a ceremony for 2 on the beach in Oregon and that's that! Having a party in Tucson at Pueblo Vida Brewery in August for close friends and family. No stress, no mess, and about 1/10 the cost.
I wanted to elope :D. I did get my wish of now bridal party except her niece (flower girl) and nephews (ring bearers) in order to try to limit the amount of drama.

Our cost is going to be reasonable, not like your reasonable though.
beames

Post by beames »

scumdevils86 wrote:That's why you do what I am doing...not having one! Just a ceremony for 2 on the beach in Oregon and that's that! Having a party in Tucson at Pueblo Vida Brewery in August for close friends and family. No stress, no mess, and about 1/10 the cost.
Which beach? Got married myself yards away from the water on the Oregon coast in an awesome little town called Yachats a few years back. Destination weddings are definitely the way to go, especially when it means you don't have to invite a bunch of people you don't want there! Could have done without the hippy-ish woman that officiated the wedding, and compared us to agates on the beach, but you could barely hear her over the waves crashing against the rocks, so whatever...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We're getting married in Ecola State Park between Seaside (where our rental house is, only $800 for the week btw and steps from the water) and Cannon Beach. The officiant seems awesome. Did splurge on a great photographer but that made sense. I used my rewards points for the the plane tickets and rental car and the dress was only $400 including alterations. I'm pretty damn pleased with how everything is working out.

17 days till I'm a married man.
beames

Post by beames »

scumdevils86 wrote:We're getting married in Ecola State Park between Seaside (where our rental house is, only $800 for the week btw and steps from the water) and Cannon Beach. The officiant seems awesome. Did splurge on a great photographer but that made sense. I used my rewards points for the the plane tickets and rental car and the dress was only $400 including alterations. I'm pretty damn pleased with how everything is working out.

17 days till I'm a married man.
Yeah, the photographer is definitely worth splurging on. We were lucky and found a 20-something that was willing to come all the way from Portland, and did a fantastic job. Last time my wife checked, his portfolio warranted charging about 4x now what we paid back then.

Anyway, good luck! Couldn't pick a better place than the Oregon coast. Don't forget to grab some ice cream and cheese curds at the Tillamook Cheese factory down the road!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

You know it's time for a new sponge when you can still smell it on your fingers.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:You know it's time for a new sponge when you can still smell it on your fingers.
That's when you give it one final hurrah and wipe your ass with it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just received the payment plan for both of my son's braces. $2250 each.

Who wants to help a brother out? :D
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wow kids are expensive.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

azgreg wrote:Just received the payment plan for both of my son's braces. $2250 each.

Who wants to help a brother out? :D
Nothing wrong with:

Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Are you ever around just women with no other men around, and you get hungry and nothing you say can get across to them that it's past time to eat?

It's like, "Okay, that's it. I need you to stop ignoring me on this. If I don't get some food right now, I'm going to fall through the floor. What should we eat?"

And they're all, "Kittens? What kittens?"
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

One of my favorite guys at the Y is the old dude rocking the cranberry velour track suit on the recumbent bike.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Lol wtf was that Justin Bieber?

Ashlee Simpson was like "dude that sucked"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Does every service and delivery person take a big, stinky dump in everyone's bathroom? Adding up to 36 dumps a day or whatever?

Or does every service and delivery person just save it up and hold it to take a big, stinky dump in my bathroom only?

Every time I have a delivery of any sort, I assume that I'll need to spend some time disinfecting afterwards. I even set the Clorox spray and disinfecting wipes out in advance.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I have never had a delivery person even pee in my house.

My wedding photographer did shit in my best man's hotel room, but in his defense he was with us all day.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Hail Frederik!