Transfer help?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catinfl

Transfer help?

Post by catinfl »

So for my first two years I decided that I would try to play college lacrosse at the D3 level and Im really getting sick from puking my brains out from running. So I'll be done with most of my basics after this year and I was just curious as to if anyone had any experience from moving across the country to go to Arizona. (From Alabama at the moment). or if anyone had any experience in getting awarded in state after a year.
UAEebs86

Re: Transfer help?

Post by UAEebs86 »

catinfl wrote:So for my first two years I decided that I would try to play college lacrosse at the D3 level and Im really getting sick from puking my brains out from running. So I'll be done with most of my basics after this year and I was just curious as to if anyone had any experience from moving across the country to go to Arizona. (From Alabama at the moment). or if anyone had any experience in getting awarded in state after a year.
I think you have to declare independence to get in-state somewhere other than where your parents live.

How old are you? I recently looked into the rules for declaring independence, and I found it has changed dramatically from when I was in school. Basically, if you are under 24 almost impossible unless you are married, have dependents, or are in the military.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

UAEebs86 wrote:
catinfl wrote:So for my first two years I decided that I would try to play college lacrosse at the D3 level and Im really getting sick from puking my brains out from running. So I'll be done with most of my basics after this year and I was just curious as to if anyone had any experience from moving across the country to go to Arizona. (From Alabama at the moment). or if anyone had any experience in getting awarded in state after a year.
I think you have to declare independence to get in-state somewhere other than where your parents live.

How old are you? I recently looked into the rules for declaring independence, and I found it has changed dramatically from when I was in school. Basically, if you are under 24 almost impossible unless you are married, have dependents, or are in the military.
About to turn 21. I was under the impression that if I just get a job and work for a year it wasn't too hard to get. Here is what i could get from the UA site "In general, Arizona domicile occurs when a financially independent person has been physically present in Arizona for at least a year with the clear and convincing intention of making Arizona their permanent home BEYOND THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF BEING A STUDENT."

Also says that I have to be independent from my parents taxes for two years. Im not really sure how to prove that I plan on being there beyond being a student. I guess working during the summer and living in Tucson?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It's been a lot of years, but I had to stay in Tucson over the summer to get in-state the next year and show my rent and utility receipts.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Pima CC is a lot more lenient than UA when it comes to declaring in-state status. I was at Pima CC a while, long enough to establish residency in the state of Arizona and have it recognized by Pima CC. It took over a year. When I eventually transferred to UA they automatically rated me with in-state status based on Pima CC's recognition. It would have been a lot more difficult, nearly impossible, to switch from out-of-state if already at UA.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I was thinking about taking like 8 hours at Arizona and the other classes at Pima, but I'm not sure how that would work. In-State absolutely needs to happen because I can't take a couple years with the out of state tuition Arizona has now. (16,000 a semester for just tuition) Maybe just transferring to Pima would be a better idea for a year and I'll just find ways to sneak into the zoo on gamedays.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I would recommend getting your AZ drivers license the day you arrive. That will start the clock ticking on your resident status.

Then if you get a job, go and talk to Pima about how you relocated from out of state for said job and you would like to start taking classes as a resident working person.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I had to get my driver's license immediately and show my pay stubs to prove that I lived and worked in state for a year. My transfer was from U of A to the UC system, but same issue.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Longhorned wrote:I had to get my driver's license immediately and show my pay stubs to prove that I lived and worked in state for a year. My transfer was from U of A to the UC system, but same issue.
Exactly what I did. Get the DL the week you arrive, ALSO, register at Pima CC the week you arrive. They require initial registration in-person which establishes that you were at least on the ground on that date. I did so at the NW campus, then went right to the DMV a block away off Ina. Additionally, I saved paychecks from the Fry's store I worked at part time about 3 months after moving to Tucson.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I think AZ state law requires you to get a drivers license within 10 days if you move here. However, students and military might be exempt from this.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

My dad wants me to get a drivers license when I am in Arizona during Thanksgiving don't think that'll do much, but I might as well do it. Thanks for all the responses guys. I was told that you can't leave much so I won't be able to visit, but it's only one year. Says I have to declare independent so I need to do that asap because it's supposed to be for two years.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I think your parents also need to stop taking you as a deduction on their income tax if you want to declare independence.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UAEebs86 wrote:I think your parents also need to stop taking you as a deduction on their income tax if you want to declare independence.
Yes, that is one of the requirements. You also have to show you are paying state taxes and be living in Arizona for at least one year.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Well, I've been gathering as much information as I could on declaring residency and with my luck of course Arizona is the, if not one of the hardest states to declare residency. I really hope I don't move out there to only be denied after a year, but it's completely possible.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

catinfl wrote:Well, I've been gathering as much information as I could on declaring residency and with my luck of course Arizona is the, if not one of the hardest states to declare residency. I really hope I don't move out there to only be denied after a year, but it's completely possible.
Don't know if you have gone to the UofA's Residency Classification website, but I have provided a link to it.
http://www.registrar.arizona.edu/residency/aborpro.htm" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't know why Arizona would make it so hard to declare residency. It's not like the state provides residential tax dollars to its universities, which might as well go private and stop distinguishing between residents and non-residents.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Irish27 wrote:
catinfl wrote:Well, I've been gathering as much information as I could on declaring residency and with my luck of course Arizona is the, if not one of the hardest states to declare residency. I really hope I don't move out there to only be denied after a year, but it's completely possible.
Don't know if you have gone to the UofA's Residency Classification website, but I have provided a link to it.
http://www.registrar.arizona.edu/residency/aborpro.htm" target="_blank
Yeah I've looked it over quite a lot and am actually getting help from a company that specializes in getting people in state tuition. It's just one of the harder states to do so. To go to Arizona for a full year is around 32,000 for out of state and about 15,000 for in-state. It's just crazy how big of a discrepancy there is.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

bumping this once again for anyone who may be able to help. I'm moving out to Arizona on July 25th, i'm gonna have to go to Pima for my first year and hopefully will get awarded in-state in 2018 (isn't it great how UofA has the most strict rules for in-state in Arizona), but I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any place hiring in Tucson. I've been a waiter for the past six months and I don't have any doubt I can find a restaurant job if I have too, but after working in one since I've been 16 I'm real tired of working in food. I'm open to pretty much anything. So if anyone knows of anything please PM me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sadly Tucson is a low wage town and a large percentage of the jobs are in services, especially restaurants due to the revitalization of downtown.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Merkin wrote:Sadly Tucson is a low wage town and a large percentage of the jobs are in services, especially restaurants due to the revitalization of downtown.
That's what I thought. Oh well ill just be a waiter for the next two years
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Check out http://www.uacareers.com" target="_blank. Get a job at the U and get instant instate tuition and almost free classes.

FM has some entry level jobs, not great, but you would walk away without any loan debt due to the QTR benefit.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

wyo-cat wrote:Check out http://www.uacareers.com" target="_blank. Get a job at the U and get instant instate tuition and almost free classes.

FM has some entry level jobs, not great, but you would walk away without any loan debt due to the QTR benefit.
There was nothing listed under student jobs, but thanks anyways I'll check up on it every once in awhile to see if anything pops up. Instant instate would be a godsend for me.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I wouldn't expect many student jobs to be up there now in May. Will be a lot listed in mid July to mid September though. Not that hard to get them. I actually worked in 4 different student jobs there. Safe ride, the bookstore, the planning design and construction department and at the health sciences library.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:I wouldn't expect many student jobs to be up there now in May. Will be a lot listed in mid July to mid September though. Not that hard to get them. I actually worked in 4 different student jobs there. Safe ride, the bookstore, the planning design and construction department and at the health sciences library.
What did you do at PDC?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lots of filing. Took the University cars to the car wash. Delivered intra office mail.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:Lots of filing. Took the University cars to the car wash. Delivered intra office mail.
What did you think of the faculty? I don't know whether to despise or pity them.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well I never really dealt with faculty. It was all UA staff people. The non academic crowd. Administrators and accountants and HR people.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well I never really dealt with faculty. It was all UA staff people. The non academic crowd. Administrators and accountants and HR people.

As an university staff person myself, I and most of my colleagues go years without talking to faculty in the nature of our work.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ASUHATER! wrote:I wouldn't expect many student jobs to be up there now in May. Will be a lot listed in mid July to mid September though. Not that hard to get them. I actually worked in 4 different student jobs there. Safe ride, the bookstore, the planning design and construction department and at the health sciences library.
Just saw this, but did it help with your tuition? Were classes cheaper? This would be great because I can't go to Pima forever and I look constantly for jobs, but I guess I will wait until July.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catinfl wrote:
Just saw this, but did it help with your tuition? Were classes cheaper? This would be great because I can't go to Pima forever and I look constantly for jobs, but I guess I will wait until July.
Can't speak for the UA, but the CA campus I work for does not give tuition discounts. Only regular staff do. See some part time jobs:

https://uacareers.com/postings/search" target="_blank
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

FM has some entry level FTE jobs. Comes with bennys and almost free tuition.