gumby

Expensive wine is for suckers

Post by gumby »

Right where I want to be.
SCCats

Re: Expensive wine is for suckers

Post by SCCats »

Heh that's a mind fuck right there.

You actually do enjoy the expensive wine more, but you only enjoy it more because you know it's expensive but knowing it's expensive actually, in fact, effects how much you enjoy the wine.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

the most i've ever spent on a bottle of wine (not at a restaurant) is $45. it was really good. but i also just had a zinfandel last week that was absolutely stunning (in my low rent mind anyway) for $14.99. I've even had a few bottles that were in the $6-9 range that were quite good.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

There's nothing like a good box of wine.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Been to France, and the best part of it was that a bottle of wine, that was really good, was often less than a bottle of soda.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I liked John Cleese's documentary, Wine for the Confused, which addressed some of this. But it's all a bit complicated.

The best bottle of wine I've had in years costs $9.99. I drink lots of wine, but none better than that, even the super expensive bottle when somebody rich is paying. So mostly I keep going back to the well.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:I liked John Cleese's documentary, Wine for the Confused, which addressed some of this. But it's all a bit complicated.

The best bottle of wine I've had in years costs $9.99. I drink lots of wine, but none better than that, even the super expensive bottle when somebody rich is paying. So mostly I keep going back to the well.
may I ask what wine that is?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I liked John Cleese's documentary, Wine for the Confused, which addressed some of this. But it's all a bit complicated.

may I ask what wine that is?
Guenoc North Coast Victorian Claret. I'm not sure how much the price varies, but because of whatever deal my wine guy gets, he sells it for $9.99 a bottle, or 10% off that when you buy a case.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I avoid learning how to properly taste wine. That way I can still enjoy pretty cheap wine.

Grocery Outlet has the best deals on wine. Sometimes I can get local Central Coast wines for $4-$5.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

This applies to vodka too (with locally made exceptions. . .). Scotch on the other hand. . .
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:This applies to vodka too (with locally made exceptions. . .). Scotch on the other hand. . .
But then again, an amazing deal is Johnny Walker Black Label. Somebody can say, "Well, that's a blended whiskey, not a single malt...." And then we're back to snobbery, like with wine. Johnny Walker Black represents the art of blending. It's a damn good scotch.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Give me the Costco brand of Malbec for about $7 or $8 and I'm happy.
Last edited by VegasCatFan on Wed May 20, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Black box wine shiraz is good. $16 at Total Wine
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Wild Irish Rose with beef. Thunderbird with fish and chicken. Ripple for everything else.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

KaibabKat wrote:Wild Irish Rose with beef. Thunderbird with fish and chicken. Ripple for everything else.
Great. Now what do I do with all this Boone's Farm and M/D 20-20?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Wild Irish Rose with beef. Thunderbird with fish and chicken. Ripple for everything else.
Microwave burritos.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Make some bad life decisions.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Make some bad life decisions.
Too late.
ghostwhitehorse

Longhorned wrote:
ghostwhitehorse wrote:This applies to vodka too (with locally made exceptions. . .). Scotch on the other hand. . .
But then again, an amazing deal is Johnny Walker Black Label. Somebody can say, "Well, that's a blended whiskey, not a single malt...." And then we're back to snobbery, like with wine. Johnny Walker Black represents the art of blending. It's a damn good scotch.
Long as it's not the Red Label. . .
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:the most i've ever spent on a bottle of wine (not at a restaurant) is $45. it was really good.
Same here. The only time I justify spending over $30 on wine is at a restaurant. Some cute girl putting on a bottle service show.

Best wines I've recently had is a White Zinfandel for $15 and Kenwood (Sonoma County) Chardonnay for about $18. Probably the best Chardonnay I've had.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:Black box wine shiraz is good. $16 at Total Wine
Again, all onboard. Black Box overall is very underrated. If we ever met up it should be at in a Total Wine parking lot.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

VegasCatFan wrote:Give me the Costco brand of Malbec for about $7 or $8 and I'm happy.
I get Durigutti Malbec at Total Wine for 11-12 bucks. Quality wine at a good price.
gumby

Post by gumby »

SCCats wrote:Heh that's a mind fuck right there.

You actually do enjoy the expensive wine more, but you only enjoy it more because you know it's expensive but knowing it's expensive actually, in fact, effects how much you enjoy the wine.
Yep. That's why I insist on being charge $30 for Big Macs.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:

A place in Philly makes a $100 cheese steak. It has truffles, lobster, and other stuff I can't remember. I bet it isn't as good as a regular cheese steak.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UAEebs86 wrote:

You'll vomit, eventually.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ghostwhitehorse

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:

A place in Philly makes a $100 cheese steak. It has truffles, lobster, and other stuff I can't remember. I bet it isn't as good as a regular cheese steak.
That. . .is not a cheese steak.

(It's a mutant lobster roll. Somebody call Charles Xavier, stat!)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:

Apologies. There's no lobster on it. It actually looks amazing. I'd pay $100:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia ... l?page=all
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:

What's a regular cheese steak? Aren't there really 2 versions of the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Are you talking about Pat's v. Gino's? I don't know about different versions. But Pat's and Gino's aren't really among the top in the city. Not that I'm a fan of any cheese steaks when sober. I make one better at home over the grill.
ghostwhitehorse

Longhorned wrote:
ghostwhitehorse wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:

Apologies. There's no lobster on it. It actually looks amazing. I'd pay $100:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia ... l?page=all
The Barclay Prime cheesesteak uses A5 Japanese Wagyu beef, foie gras, shaved truffles and comes with a small bottle of champagne.
If you do you might have some trouble with geese . . . just sayin'.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

ITALIAN CHEESE STEAK:

Cut a steakum down the middle lengthwise.
Fry in a small frying pan.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic salt.
Split an 8" roll almost through.
Cover lightly with marinara sauce and 3 slices of Provolone.
Place in toaster oven to melt.
Remove meat from pan and quickly sauté chopped onions.
Place steakum on the melted cheese, and cover with onions.

Enjoy
97cats

Post by 97cats »

cant stop drinking anything Sancerre
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Good wine has nothing to do with price. Price does have to with where you buy it (cellar door, bottle shop, restaurant?) and the business structure of the winery (small independent, medium to large independent, brand within a conglomerate stable?). Bottle shops are usually the cheapest place to buy a bottle, cellar doors cannot sell for less than the bottle shop will retail it for, restaurants of course mark up heavily and its usually their most profitable sell. On the other hand, cellar doors and wineries home tasting clubs often have great wines you cannot get at retail (usually because of smaller supplies).

Also, wine is meant to be drunk with food. A naked blind test is not a 'proper' test of the wine - matching wine with food does make a difference.

Three things go into the making of a great wine: balance, balance, and balance. Balance between the fruit, the acid, the tannin. Balance between the quality of the grapes, the skill of the wine maker, and the quality of the oak (for red wines that is). Balance between the treatment of the wine, the needs of the business, and the vision of the sales team.

There are certainly wineries that think they must put their prices up to ridiculous levels because they want to be perceived along side the established super-premiums. Until they have actually earned that consideration they are fooling themselves and defrauding their customers. There are other wineries that have established themselves as consistently super-premium and the simple rules of supply and demand dictates super-premium prices. And there are wineries that fall anywhere in between.

There is one statistic that is more important that anything else in what vision a winemaker has for his product: somewhere around 95% of all bottled wine is consumed within 48 hours of purchase. Any one who thinks a winemaker is not about selling his wine is crazy. Winemakers make the vast majority of their wine to satisfy that market. Small wine makers cannot compete in the mass market because they simply don't have the volume to supply it - they have to compete in the 5% 'niche' wine market and they have to cover their costs so they have to charge premium prices for wine that is often not premium quality.

That doesn't mean that small makers cannot make great wine that justifies the higher prices, but rather that they are much more subject to the vintage variation that large makers are, these days, basically immune. A winery in a big stable like Constellation or Treasury stable can 'fix' any wine they think comes up short by finding other grapes from somewhere else to cover the gaps. A small independent cannot do that - but the small guy must still cover his costs even if he has a bad year.

A few examples from my experience:

1) I have a group of friends that buy bulk wine every year from a certain wine maker who could easily bottle this stuff himself and sell it for $30 a bottle. He is honoring his father's wish to 'look after his friends' - that's us and some other groups who kept him going with bulk purchases for a couple of years when he was really stiff for cash flow. This is GREAT wine. We bottle it ourselves and end up putting it in the bottle for around $7. It is drinkable now, but really shines after about 5 years. Far superior to any $15 bottle shop wine.

2) The best wine I ever had was a 1978 Bailey's of Glenrowan 'Winemaker's Selection' Cabernet Sauvignon, bar none, no opposing arguments considered. I drank that in 1988 with a Kangaroo Carpaccio that just melted in the mouth. The bottle cost about $AUD5 in 1979 when it was purchased at the cellar door. In would probably cost around $AUD20 today.

3) On December 31st, 1999 I drank a 1986 Bailey's of Glenrowan (cooincidence) Classic Shiraz and a 1986 Penfold's Grange Hermatage side by side. When purchased, the Bailey's cost $AUD12.99 and the Grange $AUD120. They were almost indistinguishable from each other in the glass, and although you could of course distinguish them in the mouth, as far as a pleasurable experience was concerned they were identical. Bailey's no longer makes the 'Classic' Shiraz; they split the grapes into a '1904 Block' which costs around $80 bucks I think and the '1920 Block' for about $45 a bottle. Grange costs over $700 a bottle these days. The Grange price is set more by speculators than drinkers - its a big mover on the Auction market.

Like I said, great wines require balance, balance, and balance. Those wines I listed (except the bulk - though I have had some of this bulk after 10 years and it is still good) were over 10 years old when consumed. Unbalanced wines don't last long. Inexpensive wines don't have to be unbalanced, and expensive wines aren't necessarily balanced. The price doesn't make the difference between good and bad wine. The grapes and the wine maker make the difference. The cliche is that great wine is made in the vinyard, and bad wine is made in the winery.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:There's nothing like a good box of wine.

Nothing beats 4 bottles of home made wine every day.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2768792/man-wh ... ink-water/" target="_blank
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Quick question:

Is it wrong for me to have a glass or 2 of wine before going to my kids science fair at their school tonight?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Quick question:

Is it wrong for me to have a glass or 2 of wine before going to my kids science fair at their school tonight?
Wine is technically science. It would be downright wrong of you NOT to have wine before their science fair. And if anyone says anything about your boozy breath, you just tell them "It's called 'Fermentation' you fucking troglodyte!" and knock over their kid's crappy potato clock.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just had a cup of coffee. A well-balanced coffee, with beans imported from somewhere or other. I should probably investigate.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'm in Avila Beach and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a winery or two to stop by. Probably too lazy to drive up to Paso so thinking SLO. Possibly arroyo grande but prefer SLO
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:I'm in Avila Beach and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a winery or two to stop by. Probably too lazy to drive up to Paso so thinking SLO. Possibly arroyo grande but prefer SLO

Didn't see this yesterday, but I prefer the Santa Ynez wineries.

Haven't done this yet, but watch the movie Sideways, then go to the same wineries http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/wine ... ine-trail/" target="_blank

When guests come out, I take them to the Firestone winery. It's the only one in the area that gives free tours still. Fess Parker (yes, the late actor) Winery is just down the road.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

I don't care for wine, with the exception of "Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling". Its about $8 a bottle, although I've been to restaurants where they charge $48 a bottle for it. Had it with dinner the night I got married (know as much about wine now as i did then... nothing) and was surprised I liked it. That place charged about $29 a bottle. Came home from the honeymoon, went to Binny's and found it for $8. Bought a case. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PeKcWCC-tw" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

another reason the ladies love Wine Wednesdays