Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't think Lonzo Ball will be better than Steph Curry. And her certainly isn't the second coming of MJ, Kobe, LeBron.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats wrote:1 - The Rookie
2 - The Rookie
3 - The Rookie
4 - The Rookie
5 - The Rookie
6 - The Rookie
7 - The Rookie
8 - The Rookie
9 - The Rookie
10 - The Rookie
Fixed your post.

:mrgreen:
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Original Bad News Bears is #1.

And I listen to all of it if it is written well. Just because a dude teased his hair and wore some makeup to get some fans in an odd time in music history, it doesn't mean he (or she) couldn't/didn't write good songs. Tom Kiefer of the unfortunately named Cinderella is a good example of that. The first two Motley albums hold up. I may prefer hardcore and post-punk/new wave overall, but a great pop song is a great pop song, and a lot of those hair poodles wrote good songs...
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't think Lonzo Ball will be better than Steph Curry. And her certainly isn't the second coming of MJ, Kobe, LeBron.
That's unpopular? It will be unbearable if he is.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Eight Men Out" should be in the Top 10. John Sayles rocks.

Hope they make a movie of "The Art of Fielding." Really good novel.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The D League is a better environment for player development than college basketball.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That's preception and a marketing battle college ball is currently losing.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The D League is a better environment for player development than college basketball.
Super. Then go from high school to there. Hell, skip high school, too, if you want to get a Running Start.

All the more reason for the NBA to open the door sooner. Deepen the talent pool.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:The D League is a better environment for player development than college basketball.
Super. Then go from high school to there. Hell, skip high school, too, if you want to get a Running Start.

All the more reason for the NBA to open the door sooner. Deepen the talent pool.
I also preferred the pre-one and done era where players could just make the choice they wanted to. That seems an unpopular opinion here as well.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:

I also preferred the pre-one and done era where players could just make the choice they wanted to. That seems an unpopular opinion here as well.
We can turn them around.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I would change that to "The D League could become a better environment for player development than college basketball if the NBA continues to put resources into it and the coaching improves."

It is getting closer. But I am not sure Matt Brase is developing anyone better than Sean Miller. The coaching has to pick up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I think colleges and high schools should get rid of sports all together.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't think some glorified rec league coach in the d league cares about player development unless they get incentivized for how many development players they put in the L for their respective teams.

But who wants to learn anything anymore? Who wants to be a student of the game/history? Those are old and tired ideas.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:I think colleges and high schools should get rid of sports all together.
What about the dance program?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't think some glorified rec league coach in the d league cares about player development unless they get incentivized for how many development players they put in the L for their respective teams.

But who wants to learn anything anymore? Who wants to be a student of the game/history? Those are old and tired ideas.
D League coaches are auditioning for the NBA as much as players are. I'm sure they care a lot about how their performance is viewed.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't think some glorified rec league coach in the d league cares about player development unless they get incentivized for how many development players they put in the L for their respective teams.

That's not entirely accurate. While the coaching needs to improve to make it a better option, the minor league system works if invested in. MLB has been just fine letting those they don't want go to college and snagging those they do want out of high school. It becomes an audition for players and coaches...just the coaches are more evaluated on their ability to develop players than W/L.

Basketball would be a FAR simpler minor league to operate and do well. There isn't a magic potion college ball has...LeBron and others have done well without it. As long as they were talented enough. NCAA hoops comes in to help those who aren't quite ready...but the goofy one and done also has players who are ready making pit stops when they would be better served under either the main club or coaches paid to develop those players to supplement the main club.

College ball should not have players who are only coming because they HAVE to for a year. The baseball model is so much more sane...
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:I think colleges and high schools should get rid of sports all together.
But keep the cheerleaders.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

D League coaches are auditioning for the NBA as much as players are. I'm sure they care a lot about how their performance is viewed.
Quin Snyder, I believe is a good example... College, NBDL, NBA Assistant, overseas, NBA Assistant, NBA Head Coach
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

EVCat wrote:I would change that to "The D League could become a better environment for player development than college basketball if the NBA continues to put resources into it and the coaching improves."
Not disagreeing, but this is happening already.

Jerry Stackhouse is going to land an NBA job soon.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

As far as corporate overlords go, I prefer Walmart to amazon.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

CalStateTempe wrote:As far as corporate overlords go, I prefer Walmart to amazon.
No way. I don't have to look at people or fear a hunting aisle Deliverance style nightmare by shopping on Amazon.
Zero

Post by Zero »

I like pineapple on pizza.

Pepperoni, pineapple and jalapeno. Judge me
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Anglo-Norman Romanesque architecture is the bomb.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:As far as corporate overlords go, I prefer Walmart to amazon.
I think you've accurately and succinctly summed up this thread.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

At least Walmart hires people on the margins of society, locally/regionally sources it's produce, and are located in areas that help fight food insecurity and food deserts.

Amazon sells shit cheap while dominating the supply chain and running small businesses and box stores out of business. Sure I buy from amazon but I don't fell good about it. Amazon promote income inequality to a far greater degree than Walmart, but we all feel good about it cause we can shop at home and it's cheap.

I love the irony of urban sophisticates bagging on Walmart when amazons business and labor practices are capitalism on steroids.

Love how amazon controls 40% of the us commercial supply chain and 30% of all us commercial GDP. Surely That's not an economic security risk to our nation. But it's so cool cause it's technology, yay technology!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Blue apron is sooooo fucked wth amazons recent purchase of Whole Foods.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Walmart hires people at the fringe of society mostly to reap massive benefits for themselves. They pay them shit with shit benefits so they are forced to shop at their shit store while their employees are still in need of gov't assistance to live. So that welfare and food stamps is paid essentially directly from the gov't to Walmart's bottom line and they can pay the employees nothing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

At least they are employed.

Amazon world is a world with robots doing all the labor or humans that produce to the level of robots, workers comp injuries be damned.

The civil unrest when no one has jobs to buy the shit amazon sells will be a sight to see. Thank god I'll likely be dead by then.

Ah, but But but universal basic income! Yay Wall-E world and Big N Buy or whatever that corporation in that movie was.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Amazon has 350,000 employees. That pales in comparison to Walmart but it's not nothing. Also you have to realize how many small businesses do business on Amazon. How many small businesses sell through Walmart?

Amazon is of course the #1 culprit of the death of brick & mortar retail, but if you're a business big or small and you're relying on your storefronts to drive sales, you should seriously consider joining the current century before market forces beyond only Amazon drive right the fuck over you.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:At least they are employed.

Amazon world is a world with robots doing all the labor or humans that produce to the level of robots, workers comp injuries be damned.

The civil unrest when no one has jobs to buy the shit amazon sells will be a sight to see. Thank god I'll likely be dead by then.

Ah, but But but universal basic income! Yay Wall-E world and Big N Buy or whatever that corporation in that movie was.
You have cause and effect backwards. Amazon isn't making retail stores and manual labor obsolete. Technological advances in general did that. The more interesting question would be whether Amazon should've been forced to stay in their lane and limit the scope of their sales to books, allowing others to take Amazon's role in other spaces or perhaps whether the massive cost of developing a door-to-door same day delivery infrastructure puts Amazon into the realm of a natural monopoly that should be regulated.

Uber/Google/Apple are going to put millions of truck and cab drivers out of work. It's not their fault technology developed a cheaper and more efficient way to do those jobs. And those drivers are truly the dregs of society who will be a huge drain and likely source of violent unrest when they have nothing to occupy their time.

The rest of us have a few decades but we're all going to end up in the same boat eventually. And it has nothing to due with Amazon.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

legallykenny wrote: The rest of us have a few decades but we're all going to end up in the same boat eventually.
What do you mean? That technology could automate even what corporate attorneys, physicians, etc. do?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Longhorned wrote:
legallykenny wrote: The rest of us have a few decades but we're all going to end up in the same boat eventually.
What do you mean? That technology could automate even what corporate attorneys, physicians, etc. do?
Do you not think AI will be capable of this? I'm already seeing it in finance robo advisors are all the rage right now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah I have a hard time seeing what jobs robots/ai won't be able to do in 20-30 years.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Caring for people, particularly the old, sick and very young.

You know, all those jobs nobody wants to fill right now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

catgrad97 wrote:Caring for people, particularly the old, sick and very young.

You know, all those jobs nobody wants to fill right now.
My wife is doing her damndest to make this her life! GOP and AI can go to hell.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Lando05 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Do you not think AI will be capable of this? I'm already seeing it in finance robo advisors are all the rage right now.
I get why a computer wins at chess, but I'd be curious to see just what those robo advisors are really capable of, given the intricacies of the market, the human element of economics, and ethical complications.

I'm open to being persuaded otherwise, but to me it seems like technology is in its infancy, and that there's no real basis for predicting anything like an artificial physician or attorney in 30 years. Other than becoming smaller and having better graphics, user interfaces, and data storage options, I don't think computers have changed much since 30 years ago.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Processing power has increased more than a thousand fold in 30 years. 30 years down the line, true AI might not happen, but will eventually.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, processing power, too. Some other things, too, no doubt. But artificial intelligence able to do what specialized humans can do seems like the dream of nuclear fusion. There's a project right now that may provide a blueprint toward it, but these kinds of claims are what drive research funding. We can imagine, but nobody knows how to get there based on where we are now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like a cappella.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:I like a cappella.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Longhorned wrote:
Yes. And frankly do it far, far, far better than humans can. You remove the inherent biases and move towards outcome maximization. Far too much of my job is "what is market on this point" and for a doctor it's "what do these symptoms indicate is the text step in analysis or treatment"? AI will immediately know the answer to that every time based on far more data points than any human can possibly know. 2x every 18 months for computers. Eventually that catches up with human ability and our evolution can't match that. I honestly don't know how society survives which is why I'm hoping to save enough to overcome.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

legallykenny wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Yes. And frankly do it far, far, far better than humans can. You remove the inherent biases and move towards outcome maximization. Far too much of my job is "what is market on this point" and for a doctor it's "what do these symptoms indicate is the text step in analysis or treatment"? AI will immediately know the answer to that every time based on far more data points than any human can possibly know. 2x every 18 months for computers. Eventually that catches up with human ability and our evolution can't match that. I honestly don't know how society survives which is why I'm hoping to save enough to overcome.
I can't wait to bump this thread 30 years from now when you're rich and I'm still toiling just so I can show off how right I am.

There's no evidence of any way forward to build a social, ethical, human element into machine learning. Ever-improving data storage, cleaning, and analysis are going to make AI an improved version of what it is today: a tool that brings accuracy and efficiency to your job, but also new challenges that make it harder in some ways. It will be like auto-pilot, which requires a real pilot to operate, and is in many cases harder than flying without it.

The idea of an intelligent attorney-machine or that builds an improved attorney-machine and leaves human attorneys as flawed, antiquated trash that gets put aside and eventually forget law altogether is possible, but only in the way Jules Verne imagined travel between Earth and Mars by getting shot into space by powerful canons. 150 years later, we sort of know, but don't really know, how to deliver a living, eating, pooping body to Mars.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:At least they are employed.

You have cause and effect backwards. Amazon isn't making retail stores and manual labor obsolete. Technological advances in general did that. The more interesting question would be whether Amazon should've been forced to stay in their lane and limit the scope of their sales to books, allowing others to take Amazon's role in other spaces or perhaps whether the massive cost of developing a door-to-door same day delivery infrastructure puts Amazon into the realm of a natural monopoly that should be regulated.

Uber/Google/Apple are going to put millions of truck and cab drivers out of work. It's not their fault technology developed a cheaper and more efficient way to do those jobs. And those drivers are truly the dregs of society who will be a huge drain and likely source of violent unrest when they have nothing to occupy their time.

The rest of us have a few decades but we're all going to end up in the same boat eventually. And it has nothing to due with Amazon.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Walmart hires people at the fringe of society mostly to reap massive benefits for themselves. They pay them shit with shit benefits so they are forced to shop at their shit store while their employees are still in need of gov't assistance to live. So that welfare and food stamps is paid essentially directly from the gov't to Walmart's bottom line and they can pay the employees nothing.
The working poor can either become rich or commit suicide. Why do they hate freedom?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

legallykenny wrote:Uber/Google/Apple are going to put millions of truck and cab drivers out of work. It's not their fault technology developed a cheaper and more efficient way to do those jobs. And those drivers are truly the dregs of society who will be a huge drain and likely source of violent unrest when they have nothing to occupy their time.
Over the last 4 decades I've traveled all over the West and been through a lot of Flying Js and rubbed shoulders with a lotta truckers. These days they're unlike the cowboy booted white necks of old; they're likely to be immigrants of all shades, pairs of LGBT folk with small poodles, Muslims and Sikhs in full headgear regalia. When they lose their jobs they WILL be in dire need of healthcare because...Damn...they look poorly.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ton of Sikhs in commercial driving. It's quite impressive really.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Even in India, Sikhs are traditionally the taxi driving caste.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:Even in India, Sikhs are traditionally the taxi driving caste.
Interestingly I have come to learn that yuba city, an ag town 1hr north of sac, has the largest concentration of sikhs in the US. Apparently the annual festival is something to be seen.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

From the correlation is not causation department: it's easy to see why many conservative Americans think the changing face of our working class has caused the relentless destruction of the value of domestic labor. Back in the day long-haul truckers made good bank and, of course, they were the iconic white truckers of that period. Talk to these current guys sometime...they're fucking miserable: poor health, shaky family life, as exploited as one would expect low-skilled labor to be. Anymore, only an immigrant's disposition is capable of making a go of it. Somewhere there's one of the few remaining unionized truckers trying to keep his head down long enough to retire before.

~ Wilhoit's Law