Post Your Job Thread --

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Post Your Job Thread --

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Made a move today:

Still teach part time, but:

Marketing Educator, Account Manager with Better Business Bureau.

Base pay is almost what I earned as a full time educator, plus commission/residuals, plus full benefits.

Newer region, so all upside, and I have an eye on their expansion toward Flagstaff in a few years that could find me back there, maybe running it.

If all goes well, I could make make double what I did as a full time educator, and I'll I'm doing it talking!
Nice work J!

I love my new job. Been 16 weeks and I'm being groomed (and positioning myself) to become VP of Sales. Taken on training, marketing, and operations liaison roles and I'll have direct reports by early next year. The agency I work for is awesome. Tomorrow we have our summer party which is an all day booze fest starting with 9am mimosas. I couldn't be happier.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:

Base pay is almost what I earned as a full time educator, plus commission/residuals, plus full benefits.

Newer region, so all upside, and I have an eye on their expansion toward Flagstaff in a few years that could find me back there, maybe running it.

If all goes well, I could make make double what I did as a full time educator, and I'll I'm doing it talking!
Nice work J!

I love my new job. Been 16 weeks and I'm being groomed (and positioning myself) to become VP of Sales. Taken on training, marketing, and operations liaison roles and I'll have direct reports by early next year. The agency I work for is awesome. Tomorrow we have our summer party which is an all day booze fest starting with 9am mimosas. I couldn't be happier.
That's awesome. I've been self employed for almost 2 years, and wouldn't say I've scraped by, though the last few months have been brutal. Not sure if Trump effect, but no business wants to talk Benefits right now.

So I consider myself blessed a business associate got wind of this job and told me to apply. They immediately loved me, but had to jump through all the hoops.

Lotta work with this, but I bring some great existing contacts, and the upside is immense, both in the market and within the company. They seemed to like all my 2-year, 5-year, 10-year goals for myself within the company.

Hopefully this works for me like yours worked for you.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Nice work J!

That's awesome. I've been self employed for almost 2 years, and wouldn't say I've scraped by, though the last few months have been brutal. Not sure if Trump effect, but no business wants to talk Benefits right now.

So I consider myself blessed a business associate got wind of this job and told me to apply. They immediately loved me, but had to jump through all the hoops.

Lotta work with this, but I bring some great existing contacts, and the upside is immense, both in the market and within the company. They seemed to like all my 2-year, 5-year, 10-year goals for myself within the company.

Hopefully this works for me like yours worked for you.
Super happy for you. You deserve it.

If I learned anything from my last year at my old job and my first few months in my current position it's that you have to be your own cheerleader. If you aren't, no one will put that much effort into being one for you.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Does anyone commute for work?

Headhunter called today to discuss a very interesting position in Reno. Would give me more autonomy and some really interesting population health and policy work.

Wife and I arn't excited about moving to Reno (even though closer to mountains and snow and Tahoe) but the option of a 4 day work week is there.

Does anyone do the super commuter thing? Like work in one place Monday though Thursday and home with family Thursday night through Monday am? Honestly, I probably won't proceed because i like reading and playing with my daughters after work, but I am flattered to be considered and want to do my due diligence/consideration, before making an informed denial.

Just curious what others experience has been with this type of set up.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

I am increasingly ready for a new job.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CalStateTempe wrote:Does anyone commute for work?

Headhunter called today to discuss a very interesting position in Reno. Would give me more autonomy and some really interesting population health and policy work.

Wife and I arn't excited about moving to Reno (even though closer to mountains and snow and Tahoe) but the option of a 4 day work week is there.

Does anyone do the super commuter thing? Like work in one place Monday though Thursday and home with family Thursday night through Monday am? Honestly, I probably won't proceed because i like reading and playing with my daughters after work, but I am flattered to be considered and want to do my due diligence/consideration, before making an informed denial.

What's your definition? I have a ten minute bike ride each way... :lol:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have known a couple people who have done the M-Th in one town, then weekend at home with the family in another town. In both cases it didn't last too long.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've met a few people who live in Phx and work in LA. They fly over on Monday morning and fly back Friday evening.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The consultant commute thing is a recipe for divorce IMO.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks guys, a lot of this echos my initial thoughts on the matter. It's nice to hear from people who have seen it play out in real life.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

A friend of my wife had their marriage totally destroyed by having the husband stay mon-thurs in an apartment in Phoenix and weekends in Tucson.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Thanks guys, a lot of this echos my initial thoughts on the matter. It's nice to hear from people who have seen it play out in real life.
In both cases, the worker gave up their M-Th apartment and ended up commuting. One from Tucson to Phoenix, the other from Lockwood to San Luis Obispo. Just in time to say goodnight and get to bed I imagine.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CalStateTempe wrote:Thanks guys, a lot of this echos my initial thoughts on the matter. It's nice to hear from people who have seen it play out in real life.
Friend of mine was a consultant in Orange County and flew every Fri/Mon there and back. After about a year his wife decided to move to OC, found a new job and they rented a place. Then they started flying him all over the world and he was gone for a week or two at a time. Somehow they made it work for about 3 years(pre-kid). He wound up getting a better offer back here and they both came back and had a baby. I dont think they regret it at all, made their relationship stronger.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'm doing it now. Tiny little town offered me a $14K a year raise to teach two hours from home.

I live in a trailer in the back of the school with the art teacher, who goes home to Prescott on Thursdays through Sundays. Done it for three years, but all the kids are grown up, unlike mine.

I have to say, initial responses here don't inspire much confidence.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I frequently commute from Tucson to Phoenix. Probably 50/50 between the two cities. It sort of sucks, and it sort of doesn't. I'm a single guy with a roommate who watches my dogs. If I had a family, there's no way I would do that.
Last edited by ASUCatFan on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I travel quite a bit with my job and I am sometimes out of town for 7-10... even 14 days at a time. It's balanced that when I'm back in town I'm not working for about a week or so at a time, so when I'm home, I'm doing everything... driving kids around, shopping, cleaning, cooking, etc. It's hard sometimes, especially since my wife has the higher profile of a job between the 2 of us.

You need to have the right partner to make it work. Trust is big... never give her a reason to not trust you. It is certainly easier now than when our kids were very little.

So it can work, but it is difficult.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My bro in law travels a shit load. Lots of trips to Jersey and all over. He's gone at least 2-3 days a week. It's fixin' to pay off with a HQ job in Basel.

It's a strain, but they make it work.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We just landed a new customer. I can't tell you who it is but their reusable rocket boosters are pretty cool.
Last edited by azgreg on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I make my family come with me wherever I go. And I gladly come along for my wife's work trips as well.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My job, in weeks like these, is continually finding opportunities to go online and check what's being said on BearDownWildcats
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote:We just landed a new customer. I can't tell you who it is but their reusable rocket boosters are pretty cool.
Can you get a Tesla at a discount?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Just got offered and accepted a promotion at my current financial firm, it's a 2 level jump in the company. I'm so excited, worked really hard for this!
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Congrats!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Lando05 wrote:Just got offered and accepted a promotion at my current financial firm, it's a 2 level jump in the company. I'm so excited, worked really hard for this!
ya thats super cool -- couldnt happen to a nicer guy.

congratulations
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Right on Lando!
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Thank you guys. I'm really excited! Adulting can be very rewarding..
gumby

Post by gumby »

About to slide into semi-retirement. Keep working, guys. Those payroll taxes are very meaningful to me!
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lando05 wrote:Just got offered and accepted a promotion at my current financial firm, it's a 2 level jump in the company. I'm so excited, worked really hard for this!
Nice! Best news I’ve heard all day.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well done, Lando
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Thank you Chicat, Longhorned, azgreg, 97cats, and gumby. Apprecite all the postive support. Really made my day! Gonna celebrate this weekend in style. I'll have a drink for each of you, cheers!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Lando05 wrote:Thank you Chicat, Longhorned, azgreg, 97cats, and gumby. Apprecite all the postive support. Really made my day! Gonna celebrate this weekend in style. I'll have a drink for each of you, cheers!
Forgot. Congrats!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:About to slide into semi-retirement. Keep working, guys. Those payroll taxes are very meaningful to me!
What is semi-retirement? Half the work, all the pay?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not my main job, but I'm the jumper on the right:
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:About to slide into semi-retirement. Keep working, guys. Those payroll taxes are very meaningful to me!
Less work at the discount rate.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

First month in new role and I bettered my quota by 33% ...

Already have commitments for December to do same again this month.

I was losing my mind at first, but it’s been pretty cool this far, albeit it hectic.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Ironically, considering my situation, I now bottle specialty nutritional products. On my average day on an 8 to 13 person crew, I am responsible for the operation of anywhere com 7 to 11 machines.

I'm new, but with a background in Engineering and a hobby of nutrional supplements, my learning curve has been very good.

I work hard and love it. Have to keep the motor running. Lost 43 lbs. While becoming healthier and stronger... I think.

Dave
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Considering a move and not sure what to do. Right now I'm consulting (which I don't love), but it's flexible and easy. Can check in, check out whenever I want. Cakewalk.

New role is really different. There's a lot of background here I won't bore you guys with - instead, here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
- inspired role and something I've always wanted to do.
- i truly believe in the mission of the company.
- challenging and engaging.
- a very diverse set of responsibilities which suit my random skill set (i consider this a big plus).
- great team.
- massive networking opportunity.

Cons:
- longer hours, less flexible.
- conference calls nights and weekends.
- less pay.
- it's an odd move for the resume. can justify it, but i'm not sure what trajectory it sends me on.
- founder/CEO has been labeled difficult to work with by several people I know (i'd report to him).
- the board appears to be micro-managing the org. this is not good.
- they are incredibly unorganized (which is part of the reason why I can make a big impact).

That's the short of it. It comes down to whether I want to keep the cushy job that is sucking the soul out of me, or go out and do something I really care about that will likely drive me crazy. I also have to consider my 3 small kids and wife that also works full time.

At 45 I feel like I'm at the crossroads. Take the high road, ride out the safe career, lean on my experience and play roles that are appropriate at this stage. Or get back in the trenches and push my envelope by doing something that really engages me. I'm not really looking for the magic bullet here - more that it's therapeutic just to write down my dilemma. But if anyone has thoughts I'd love to hear em.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I would keep looking. I would be more frustrated in the new role than the cushy job unless you go into it primarily for the networking possibilities.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea man...for me less pay and worse hours would always be a killer. I enjoy spending time with my wife and being home. Work will never define me or what I accomplish. I would take less pay to have more free time to spend doing the things that I love. The comments you had about the leadership of the org being sketchy too would be a huge downside to me.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

First time seeing this thread, I will contribute.

I am a Senior Data Analyst for a Pharmaceutical Benefit Management company. Analyze rows of data, create reports with charts and graphs. Always work under deadlines. But I do get to work from home full time.
KingG

Post by KingG »

I would jump at the new opportunity, but only if the new employer steps up to the plate and at the very minimum matches your current salary.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

threenumberones, you wrote under cons:

"- founder/CEO has been labeled difficult to work with by several people I know (i'd report to him).
- the board appears to be micro-managing the org. this is not good."

FWIW, these issues sound like a big ouch.

Second issue you mention .....board appears to micro-managing the org. ....." is a killer in my view.

First, the Board shouldn't be "managing". Its job is governance, not management----which in this case is the CEO. (https://www.boardeffect.com/blog/board- ... anagement/" target="_blank)

Second, you as an exec in the company should only have one boss, not a group of people as with the CEO and Board members givng you direction. Only the CEO has multiple bosses(the Board members), and that's only for the governance function----not as part of his or her management function.

Some people excuse smaller organizations from management discipline, as above; but don't let them kid you, breaking just these simple rules of good management is nearly always poison in my experience. You're a smart man with leadership skill, threenumberones. Get a job which deserves you and where you can thrive, huh?
threenumberones

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the comments. It has helped me a great deal. Especially EOCT as that's pretty much exactly how I view things and it's why this is so hard. It is extremely rare for me to come across something I really want to do that fits my strengths.

My time is now up and I need to make a decision. I spent the weekend with some buddies reflecting on things. And since I wrote the original post I have spoken to members of the board who are frustrated with things and they have told me that changes are needed. This has eased many of my concerns and supported my hope that they are currently acting out of necessity. So I've decided to call a meeting with the CEO and ask for three things:
- can he get to the point where he will trust me to run (most of) his company?
- is he open to changing the way the company operates?
- can the staff share in the upside of what we are doing?

I'm mostly looking for reactions here - the answers are less important. If he doesn't listen then I'm going to walk. If he is inquisitive and asks for reasoning/justification or if there is good dialog about it then that's likely good enough for me. I'm confident enough to win him over with performance, but he has to be a willing participant in order for us to get there. What I refuse to be is the political ping pong between the CEO and the board.

Anyway, I'll reply with what happens!
threenumberones

threenumberones wrote:Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the comments. It has helped me a great deal. Especially EOCT as that's pretty much exactly how I view things and it's why this is so hard. It is extremely rare for me to come across something I really want to do that fits my strengths.

My time is now up and I need to make a decision. I spent the weekend with some buddies reflecting on things. And since I wrote the original post I have spoken to members of the board who are frustrated with things and they have told me that changes are needed. This has eased many of my concerns and supported my hope that they are currently acting out of necessity. So I've decided to call a meeting with the CEO and ask for three things:
- can he get to the point where he will trust me to run (most of) his company?
- is he open to changing the way the company operates?
- can the staff share in the upside of what we are doing?

I'm mostly looking for reactions here - the answers are less important. If he doesn't listen then I'm going to walk. If he is inquisitive and asks for reasoning/justification or if there is good dialog about it then that's likely good enough for me. I'm confident enough to win him over with performance, but he has to be a willing participant in order for us to get there. What I refuse to be is the political ping pong between the CEO and the board.

Anyway, I'll reply with what happens!
Man, it has been a hell of a two weeks. After two calls and three face-to-face meetings with the founder, this morning I took the gig.

Long story short: my concerns have all been addressed with good explanations and no-BS answers. I feel like I can communicate honestly with the founder/board, and I think they are mostly pragmatic. It's not all roses, but the turds I can deal with and the things I was concerned with turned out to be relatively non-issue. There is an absolute ass-ton of stuff to do in this role, and I'm sure it will crush me for a while, but man it's going to be a hell of a ride. Despite the low salary (it's effing LOW), I'm more excited about this than any other job in my past. I do get a decent piece of the upside, so what the hell - might as well swing for the fences...45 isn't too old to follow your heart/dreams, right? Well too late :) I'm getting drunk tonight to celebrate..FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wtg 3NUmberones! That is awesome.

Thank you for letting Us in on your decision making process.
threenumberones

Someone let me know that I didn't actually describe the role here in the Post Your Job Thread. Whoops. The job is running an accelerator. It has a different focus though: strictly international startups. We bring companies from around the world and launch them in the US. Average around 1000 applicants a year, and take in around 10 for a 12mo period. They typically need lots of help so the equity piece is premium. That's the reason this works.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That sounds sweet!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Congrats three! Sounds like a good move for you.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
So much for that. Joined a political campaign (Congress) as communications director. Never been busier. Watched last three games on DVR.

Gotta go!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
So much for that. Joined a political campaign (Congress) as communications director. Never been busier. Watched last three games on DVR.

Gotta go!
Fucking awesome.

Give ‘em hell, G!