The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Today I tweeted out a very picturesque waterfront photo in the midst of one of the most miserable working days I've ever had. Got me random-thinking on how what we present of ourselves on social media is always better than it actually is, and thus people alone and late at night creeping our facebook/insta/twitter feeds might become comparatively envious of a projection of our lives rater than the life of trouble it can be to lead our life.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Today I tweeted out a very picturesque waterfront photo in the midst of one of the most miserable working days I've ever had. Got me random-thinking on how what we present of ourselves on social media is always better than it actually is, and thus people alone and late at night creeping our facebook/insta/twitter feeds might become comparatively envious of a projection of our lives rater than the life of trouble it can be to lead our life.
This is exactly the hypothesis for why social media leads to greater prevalence of depression/anxiety among moderate to high users of SM in population studies.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Today I tweeted out a very picturesque waterfront photo in the midst of one of the most miserable working days I've ever had. Got me random-thinking on how what we present of ourselves on social media is always better than it actually is, and thus people alone and late at night creeping our facebook/insta/twitter feeds might become comparatively envious of a projection of our lives rater than the life of trouble it can be to lead our life.
There's an inverse to that which is the social media warrior who is just a constant stream of negativity. Someone took up two parking spots? Snapchat that shit. Your lunch got accidentally thrown out at the office? Put the cleaning lady on blast on Facebook. It's raining? On instagram it's ALWAYS raining.

Makes you wonder if those people are secretly super fucking happy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Interesting.
https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/worldr ... ty-arizona" target="_blank
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Ok, my mind just exploded.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azgreg wrote:Interesting.
https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/worldr ... ty-arizona" target="_blank
Ok, I openly geeked out more than a little bit over this.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That's awesome!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My neighbor's daughter, the homecoming queen (she's beautiful!), just laughed at my other neighbor and pooped her shorts.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Longhorned wrote:My neighbor's daughter, the homecoming queen (she's beautiful!), just laughed at my other neighbor and pooped her shorts.
...and you just happened to be secretly filming her, as you are always doing.

Well that's a bit creepy, but at lest that means we get to see the footage!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This tweet thread is amazing...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Air conditioning has provided a new form of natural selection.

Its 80 degrees outside (SoCal)and people get in fights over the f*ing temperature inside the office like little kids. One person turns it down to 60 and the other turns it off. Meanwhile, im freezing my ass off in my office watching people who couldnt survive five minutes outside at the beach in April slowly kill each other off. These are supposed to be highly functioning individuals. Garbage.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Guess when my solar system came on line.

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azgreg wrote:Guess when my solar system came on line.

Curious are you releasing or did you purchase equipment?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Leasing from Vivint.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's really something when you spell a word so bad spell check has no fucking idea what you're trying to type.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spell check keeps correcting whatever I'm typing wrong as "hardpan."

"a hardened impervious layer, typically of clay, occurring in or below the soil and impairing drainage and plant growth."
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Has USC renamed their racist horse yet?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:Has USC renamed their racist horse yet?
Maybe Travel Lodge is a racist motel name.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What happened to the "Fuck Greg Byrne" random thought from yesterday?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Spell check keeps correcting whatever I'm typing wrong as "hardpan."

"a hardened impervious layer, typically of clay, occurring in or below the soil and impairing drainage and plant growth."
That frequently happens to me when I try to type "hard peen."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:What happened to the "Fuck Greg Byrne" random thought from yesterday?

I thought that was in the post your unpopular opinions thread.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mural at Skate Country in Tucson:

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:What happened to the "Fuck Greg Byrne" random thought from yesterday?

I thought that was in the post your unpopular opinions thread.
Ah yes, there it is. Carry on...
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Mural at Skate Country in Tucson:

Skating by yourself UAEebs86, or with a group on a Class Pass?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:Mural at Skate Country in Tucson:

Beware extreme extreme caution if Superman blows his load?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

BearDown89 wrote:
Skating by yourself UAEebs86, or with a group on a Class Pass?
:lol: - not my pic.

Dropped the kids off many times in their younger years - I guess I did actually skate there once when their orthodontist bought out the place for his patients.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I remember while I was at Palo Verde I participated in a skate-a-thon at Skate Country for MD. Skated for 36 hours straight. We got a 5 min break every hour for bathroom etc.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I imagine Hater's 2nd grade experience had to be dramatic. The story stems from his 1st grade teacher sneaking into the classroom to whisper into the ear of Hater's 2nd grade teacher and all the other kids wondering what this shit was about?

Come to find out..it was his former teacher warning the present, to keep the fucking paste away from Hater!

:D
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What's the origin of paste eating as an accusation? And wouldn't it cause a blockage and possible make you die of literally shitting bricks?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:What's the origin of paste eating as an accusation? And wouldn't it cause a blockage and possible make you die of literally shitting bricks?

Just triggered a 50+ year old flashback of me eating school paste in 1st or 2nd grade, really. It was mostly just flour and water, and no doubt I was hungry.

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

http://www.gpb.org/blogs/the-daily-jog/ ... as-a-child" target="_blank
White, creamy, sweet… with just a hint of mint. Got you going yet? I'm not surprised there are plenty of tasty things that fit that description. What I am here to talk about isn't Junior Mints or Oreos… It's paste, which for some of you might bring back fond, flavorful memories.

If you ate paste as a child you probably know now that it wasn't too big of a deal. In fact, the deck was stacked against you as paste is, for the most part, just flour and sugar. It isn't all sunshine and rainbows with paste, though, there are a few ingredients that you shouldn't really be eating. How about this…Let's break down paste and then see what we can do to recreate the wide-eyed childhood joy of ingesting adhesive.

Paste is a combination of ingredients that are either right in front of you or easy to obtain.

Library Paste:
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Sugar
4 Cups Water
1 tsp. Alum
30 drops of clove oil

Flour, sugar, water… that seems no more dangerous than pizza crust or pasta (wait for it). Lets talk about the last two ingredients. Alum is used in paste for a couple reasons.

Alum keeps moisture out:
If you use an anti-persperant you probably slather yourself in alum all the time. Alum helps the paste dry. Perhaps it works too well for this as I remember paste being a clumpy, unwieldy mess when I tried to use it as a kid.

Alum makes your whites whiter:
There was a point in time when alum was used to make bread white. I will admit this is conjecture on my part but I think it is safe to assume that alum makes that tasty paste an even more enticing shade of white.

Alum shows up in food (like pickles) but not that much -- not the safest thing to eat in large doses either. Alum also irritates your mucous membranes. Spoiler alert: your mouth is a mucous membrane. Let's remove alum from our recipe.

So about that clove oil. Cloves are wonderful, you say. I could go for some mulled wine right now, you think. Why is there clove oil in paste?

Clove is an insect repellant:
The recipe we are breaking down is more for book binding than macaroni pictures. There are insects (like the silver fish) that love a good book binding. In fact they enjoy book bindings for the same reason you liked paste as a kid, sugar. Clove is an irritant and has a pretty heavy smell that insects are not fond of.

Anti-Fungal properties.
Clove oil has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Paste is essentially a dough and will mold if not preserved. Clove and alum together attempt to keep your book spine from sprouting spores.

Clove doesn't sound nearly as bad as alum but pure essential oils are pretty concentrated and can easily make you sick. Clove like alum irritates mucous membranes. The 30 drop concentration in this paste recipe is a bit too much for human consumption. We can't get rid of the clove oil all together though as this essential oil is part of the magic of paste. I am sure we can figure something out.

There is a strong chance that most people grew up eating Elmer's school paste or some variant there of. The key difference is that Elmer's paste uses spearmint oil not clove oil. Spearmint has some of the properties of clove but is not quite as strong. Perfectly suited for poorly constructed popsicle stick houses.

We have water, flour, and sugar left in our paste recipe. All we need to do now is replace the water with an egg or two and we turn our paste into pasta, which are just about the same thing… Ok… I will admit that is stretching it a little, but paste and pasta are very similar.

The quick and dirty moral of the story is that if you want to enjoy paste responsibly a quick sprinkle of clove or mint on your next pasta dish could bring back those halcyon days.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:What's the origin of paste eating as an accusation? And wouldn't it cause a blockage and possible make you die of literally shitting bricks?
I ate Play-Doh as a child, but would never have considered paste. I am a classy guy with standards.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

How the fuck did we shop with our wives/girlfriends before smartphones?
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:How the fuck did we shop with our wives/girlfriends before smartphones?
We suffered. And exchanged knowing looks with the other assholes stuck in the fifth circle of hell.

But every once in a while they wanted to go to the mall that had the Sharper Image with the hottie sales clerk who you would imagine demonstrating the "personal massager"....
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UAEebs86 wrote:How the fuck did we shop with our wives/girlfriends before smartphones?
Benches and/or Booze.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

You can't throw a tire in this town without hitting a shitty driver.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote:
Benches and/or Booze.
Stores like Niemann Marcus used to have bars. On Christmas eve, the men (who hadn't yet given a thought to the holidays) would sit at the bar and get sloshed while sales girls modeled little outfits and accessories for them to point at, and the staff would wrap them up perfectly in Christmas paper so the husbands could stumble home with their shopping all done.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fantastic!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So I'm in a place. And at that place I'm partying and having fun. And the people at that place are asking me where I'm going after this place. And I'm trying to explain to them that, no matter how fun I might be, they need to find it in themselves to have fun, to find it in their souls.

But they still want to know. So I charge them $20 to have fun. And they are more than happy to pay. As many as I can take.
gumby

Post by gumby »

On this day in history, Francis Drake becomes first British sailor to circumnavigate the Earth.

Love The Drake.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If it wasn't for the NFL and the national anthem, my Facebook feed would be dead today.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If it wasn't for the NFL and the national anthem, my Facebook feed would be dead today.
I've discovered the Unfollow feature.

Heaven .... I'm in Heaven ...
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If it wasn't for the NFL and the national anthem, my Facebook feed would be dead today.
I've discovered the Unfollow feature.

Heaven .... I'm in Heaven ...
It's the only thing keeping me on Facebook.
-JB
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Lute Olson is a lifelong Republican.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This could qualify as a vent, too.

Our HS has Homecoming this week. Each day has been themed and pretty fun like "Pajama Day." Then it got kinda mean-spirited with "Tack Tourist Day," and my daughter wore one of my Hawaiian shirts.

Kids these days have no sense of style.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

to be fair i've seen quite a few hipsterish types wearing hawaiian shirts lately. i think it is making a comeback with the youngins in some circles.