Thanksgiving plans

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Thanksgiving plans

Post by scumdevils86 »

do you not celebrate because of how we whitewash the genocide of native peoples in this country?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Now that I'm single again, I'm happy and very thankful to be spending Thanksgiving with one of my daughters, the former Mrs. BD89, her wife (you read that right) and their newer post-BD89 extended family and friends. Just your basic "Modern Family" affair. I'm looking forward to an enjoyable stress-free Holiday season in general now that I've parted ways with the drunk Canadian ex-GF.

Hope you all enjoy yourselves too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My son drove up from San Diego late last night to avoid this:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

BearDown89 wrote:Now that I'm single again, I'm happy and very thankful to be spending Thanksgiving with one of my daughters, the former Mrs. BD89, her wife (you read that right) and their newer post-BD89 extended family and friends. Just your basic "Modern Family" affair. I'm looking forward to an enjoyable stress-free Holiday season in general now that I've parted ways with the drunk Canadian ex-GF.

Sounds fantastic!

Enjoy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:Now that I'm single again, I'm happy and very thankful to be spending Thanksgiving with one of my daughters, the former Mrs. BD89, her wife (you read that right) and their newer post-BD89 extended family and friends. Just your basic "Modern Family" affair. I'm looking forward to an enjoyable stress-free Holiday season in general now that I've parted ways with the drunk Canadian ex-GF.

Sounds like what it should all be about. Happy Thanksgiving BD89 and all! Enjoy
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Happy Thanksgving!

I just finished making deviled eggs and I don't think they will make it family gathering nor will my wife enjoy my gas later

:twisted:
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Frybry02 wrote:Happy Thanksgving!

I just finished making deviled eggs and I don't think they will make it family gathering nor will my wife enjoy my gas later

:twisted:
Begging for lawyer shenanigans are we. . . ? :P
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Our Thanksgiving meal ended up being:

Slabs of smoked ribs slathered in brown sugar barbecue sauce

Corn fritters

Mac and cheese

Fried okra

Green beans

—-

The night before we had Gus’s fried chicken with mac and cheese and cole slaw
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Was in Ocotillo and did deep fried turkey, pretty damn good!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m thinking about breaking with tradition and cooking Cornish game hens instead.

Thoughts?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:I’m thinking about breaking with tradition and cooking Cornish game hens instead.

Thoughts?
Just is tiny chicken. You can have chicken any day of the year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I think I'll smoke the turkey fir the 3rd year running
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:I think I'll smoke the turkey fir the 3rd year running
I’m convinced this is the only real way to do a turkey.
That was 2015 and 2016 for us and everyone loved it.

I dunno I’m just feeling a bit bored with Turkey for this season and feel that some tumeric saffron lemon games hens will complement better all the other dishes we’ll be having at our “Persian” thanksgiving dinner.

We’re hosting my father in laws family.

The time to cook Cornish game hens is attractive to me as well.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I can definitely see the attraction of it. I'm only feeding 6 people though so I do fine with the 12 lb bird
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I haven't had Thanksgiving turkey in since 2005. Now it sounds good to me. So it probably takes about 13 years of abstaining before that happens. Some of you have a lot of prime rib and goose to do.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Did goose one year for Christmas. Not sure what I did wrong but it was very greasy.

Did prime rib too which was fantastic another year, but didn't like paying $50+ for the cut.

Also like duck for Christmas, but also pretty pricey.

FoodMaxx had turkeys for 39c a pound, so picked one up for for $5. They are now 29c a pound.

A good brine makes them top notch.

My oldest son is now vegetarian, so picked him up a tofurkey.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Update...
Plans changing with 5 dollar 12lb turkeys at Safeway!!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Did goose one year for Christmas. Not sure what I did wrong but it was very greasy.

Did prime rib too which was fantastic another year, but didn't like paying $50+ for the cut.

Also like duck for Christmas, but also pretty pricey.

FoodMaxx had turkeys for 39c a pound, so picked one up for for $5. They are now 29c a pound.

A good brine makes them top notch.

My oldest son is now vegetarian, so picked him up a tofurkey.
There’s an oil gland that we’re supposed to make sure they removed before we cook a goose or a duck. I never check, just lucky so far. If it’s there and we don’t cut it out, it’s one greasy roast. Happened to my mom’s roast when I was a kid. Not memorable in a good way.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Update...
Plans changing with 5 dollar 12lb turkeys at Safeway!!!!
Probably the better move. Those game hens are never raised on proper pasties and black and tan, and that just ain't right. May as well go American.

For me: porcine over anserine over meleagrine every time.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We gonna do some Persian turkey, with a compound butter with tumeric, saffron, cinnamon , cardamom and cumin. W Pomegranate glazed candies walnuts.

Boredom cured.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I heard the 'new thing' is Friendsgiving, where instead of ridiculous travel schedules and family fights, many friends get together and run a potluck.

We've been doing exactly that for 35 years in Australia (just about the first time I've been in front of the curve!).

So we'll have 26 or 28 people over on Saturday. I'll do the turkey, everybody else does something else.

I'll put it in the slow cooker on Tuesday, but leave it slightly under cooked, so it won't dry out and be ruined when I finish it off on Saturday (this because we are having Solar Panels installed on Wednesday, and I need time to implement plan B if there is no electricity on Friday/Saturday.

This will also be the sixth or seventh time in those 35 years that an election, either State or Federal has been called for "Friendsgiving Saturday". I need to clean up the office to turn it into a "Results Watching Room" again.

SWMBO is going to be out of town all week, so I have to do EVERYTHING myself. ARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. Now everyone will find out just how incompetent I am.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

RichardCranium wrote:I heard the 'new thing' is Friendsgiving, where instead of ridiculous travel schedules and family fights, many friends get together and run a potluck.

We've been doing exactly that for 35 years in Australia (just about the first time I've been in front of the curve!).

So we'll have 26 or 28 people over on Saturday. I'll do the turkey, everybody else does something else.

I'll put it in the slow cooker on Tuesday, but leave it slightly under cooked, so it won't dry out and be ruined when I finish it off on Saturday (this because we are having Solar Panels installed on Wednesday, and I need time to implement plan B if there is no electricity on Friday/Saturday.

This will also be the sixth or seventh time in those 35 years that an election, either State or Federal has been called for "Friendsgiving Saturday". I need to clean up the office to turn it into a "Results Watching Room" again.

SWMBO is going to be out of town all week, so I have to do EVERYTHING myself. ARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. Now everyone will find out just how incompetent I am.
An American tradition, Thanksgiving, is adopted down under? Celebrating the arrival of British criminals, are they? :D
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

MrMeow wrote: Celebrating the arrival of British criminals, are they? :D
So, it's just like the one celebrate in America?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My thought exactly:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We are hosting.

Grandma isn't coming because she didn't get a specific invitation, even though she's had Thanksgiving with us the last 4 years. Oh wait, she is coming. Crap. Now I have to eat her dry ass stuffing.

My father-in-law is bringing a whole bunch of stuff we told him definitely not to bring, including salsa that is too hot for human consumption. He'll need 4 bowls we can't spare, and room in the oven for two things. Oh, and he'll need us to turn the oven up, or down, or maybe he'll just make the change when no one is looking so everything else is cold/burned.

My mother-in-law will show up HOURS early and get in everyone's way trying to make herself useful. At one point she'll be huddled behind my car in the garage and I'll almost run her over making my 11th trip to the store. She might even pop out of the dryer as we're putting in the table cloth we forgot to wash after last Thanksgiving.

I'll make the mashed potatoes and they'll be this incredible cloud-like cacophony of butter, milk, and yukon gold deliciousness. Easily the best dish of what will turn out to be enough food to feed 12 families (mainly because my father-in-law will have brought some protein that absolutely no one asked for.. "Of course I brought sardine casserole! It was your great great grandpa Otto's favorite!! Now, can we just slide the turkey over a bit and turn the oven up to 550?")

The rest of it will go as it always goes. Lots of food, lots of people, little privacy. It's a dry Thanksgiving this year because the wife's alcoholic uncle is coming, so if anyone needs me, I'll be huddled in my closet with a bowl of mashed potatoes and a bottle of bourbon.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I've had to do the dry Thanksgiving/Christmas thing before and the way I got around it was pouring whiskey/bourbon/kahlua into a mug of decaf.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
cats101

Post by cats101 »

For the past 4-5 years, I've used this time to relax and recharge. I typically get invited to family functions but decline. Too much unnecessary drama goes on and I'm not interested.

Not a big fan of ''Thanksgiving food'' so I usually make some mashed potatoes which a steak or something and enjoy with alcohol.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:We are hosting.

Grandma isn't coming because she didn't get a specific invitation, even though she's had Thanksgiving with us the last 4 years. Oh wait, she is coming. Crap. Now I have to eat her dry ass stuffing.

My father-in-law is bringing a whole bunch of stuff we told him definitely not to bring, including salsa that is too hot for human consumption. He'll need 4 bowls we can't spare, and room in the oven for two things. Oh, and he'll need us to turn the oven up, or down, or maybe he'll just make the change when no one is looking so everything else is cold/burned.

My mother-in-law will show up HOURS early and get in everyone's way trying to make herself useful. At one point she'll be huddled behind my car in the garage and I'll almost run her over making my 11th trip to the store. She might even pop out of the dryer as we're putting in the table cloth we forgot to wash after last Thanksgiving.

I'll make the mashed potatoes and they'll be this incredible cloud-like cacophony of butter, milk, and yukon gold deliciousness. Easily the best dish of what will turn out to be enough food to feed 12 families (mainly because my father-in-law will have brought some protein that absolutely no one asked for.. "Of course I brought sardine casserole! It was your great great grandpa Otto's favorite!! Now, can we just slide the turkey over a bit and turn the oven up to 550?")

The rest of it will go as it always goes. Lots of food, lots of people, little privacy. It's a dry Thanksgiving this year because the wife's alcoholic uncle is coming, so if anyone needs me, I'll be huddled in my closet with a bowl of mashed potatoes and a bottle of bourbon.

Happy Thanksgiving!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:We are hosting.

Happy Thanksgiving!
That is poetic. All I can add is mine used to be worse - until, 30 years later, we quit hosting. Now my eldest daughter has accepted the baton, and now we sit on OUR fat asses like patrons in a restaurant. Tournabout is still fair play.