Shit...silvermine was a good sub.
Zero

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by Zero »

Loved silvermine delivered at 130 am drunk as shit
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Silver Mine is still up at Oracle and Wetmore.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:What a clusterfuck. There are 3 partners in this restaurant. 1 didn't know about the post and has already resigned and is weighing his legal options to untangle himself from the business. I doubt they survive the week. What a stupid thing to put out to the general public.

http://tucson.com/laestrella/ciudad/cup ... bc00c.html" target="_blank
Shooting off a polarizing political opinion (really either way) is a bad idea for a business in today's political climate. It's just going to lead to huge backlash. I feel bad for the third guy who got torpedoed for no reason.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow, Sam Hughes place will be a ghost town

https://realestatedaily-news.com/sam-hu ... 8-million/" target="_blank

Sam Hughes Place in Tucson Retail Sells at Auction for $2.58 Million

wow thats cheap
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Jefe wrote:Wow, Sam Hughes place will be a ghost town

wow thats cheap
That site is geo-blocked for 'security reasons'.

WTF is going on that a Real Estate site has 'security issues' that they have to block access from overseas sites. What if I want to move back to Tucson and need to look for a house (which is absolutely NOT an unreasonable concept).
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichardCranium wrote:

wow thats cheap
That site is geo-blocked for 'security reasons'.

WTF is going on that a Real Estate site has 'security issues' that they have to block access from overseas sites. What if I want to move back to Tucson and need to look for a house (which is absolutely NOT an unreasonable concept).

That is strange. Believe there is a plug-in for Chrome that allows you to change your country. People use it to watch sports not allowed overseas.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

wow thats cheap
It didn't look cheap when I looked over the prospectus however many months ago. Like the link says that was just for the ground floor commercial, a commercial space that hadn't had tenant in it's primary "Social House" location for 9 or 12 months (or longer? it's been a while now) and, if you looked closely, you could see Grimaldi's didn't have much time left on their lease (only some months) which would lead one to a conclusion that the reason they hadn't extended their lease was that they were likely leaving.

$2.58M for a Tucson turn around project? Look, perhaps they'll make it work. But it felt pretty expensive when I looked at it and sifted through the numbers. And if it's not working well in the 2016 economy at this good, mature point in the cycle...

There were LOTS of other things that were MUCH more interesting investments than that was at that price.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I don't know what it is with popular chains not meeting their lease in Tucson. That's what caused Tomy Roma's to move out down there a decade ago.

Grimaldi's has a 2-year-old location in Flagstaff in the more expensive parcel below brand new student housing and it's doing fine.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

SCCats wrote:It didn't look cheap when I looked over the prospectus however many months ago. Like the link says that was just for the ground floor commercial, a commercial space that hadn't had tenant in it's primary "Social House" location for 9 or 12 months (or longer? it's been a while now) and, if you looked closely, you could see Grimaldi's didn't have much time left on their lease (only some months) which would lead one to a conclusion that the reason they hadn't extended their lease was that they were likely leaving.
$2.58M for a Tucson turn around project? Look, perhaps they'll make it work. But it felt pretty expensive when I looked at it and sifted through the numbers. And if it's not working well in the 2016 economy at this good, mature point in the cycle...
There were LOTS of other things that were MUCH more interesting investments than that was at that price.
True but its still "new" construction less than a 1/4 mile from campus and they got it for $155/ft. You would think there would be a bidding war for a spot like that.

The whole layout of SoHo/Champs was terrible plus there is no parking. I've talked to a few successful restaurateurs that were interested in the space and and turned it down based on the kitchen layout alone. Then you have to deal with the residential aspect upstairs. I think it was 2012 but we were pre-gaming on the outside patio and someone dumped a drunk on me from upstairs

Grimaldi's is a head scratcher. They were always packed. They must big plans for the property
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I only ever went there 2 or 3 times and I hated it for the parking alone.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:someone dumped a drunk on me from upstairs
I imagine that was quite painful for the drunk.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:I imagine that was quite painful for the drunk.
I was actually talking to the manager when it happened. We both looked up and they were gone. He said it happens all the time
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Went to Culinary Dropout(Grant Rd Lumber) on Sunday. We were there for what seemed like 6 hours and there were never less than 200 people inside. It was a 50 minute wait but we found a spot at the bar. Ive had friends tell me its a 2 hour+ wait on Friday/Saturday nights but use the Open Table app and its quicker.

They have a massive gaming area with ping pong, cornhole, foosball and shuffleboard tables. I didn't eat all that much so I can't judge the food quite yet. 30+ kitchen staff working through clear glass was neat to watch. Its one of the best bar/lounges in Tucson though. They have a $1.95 brown bag beer and you don't know what it is until they crack it open for you.

If you signup for their email list they send you a $10 off your first $20: http://www.culinarydropout.com/email-signup/" target="_blank

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The boy had a JV game tonight at Cholla, and dad snuck up Grande and hit Pat's Chili Dogs.

As good as I remember.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The boy had a JV game tonight at Cholla, and dad snuck up Grande and hit Pat's Chili Dogs.

As good as I remember.
KingG

Post by KingG »

Charro Steak has been my go to place for a great steak dinner recently. The T Bone on my last trip was perfectly seasoned and so tender. The charro beans served on the side are also excellent. Very reasonable prices too.
azgreg

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Phoenix

Post by azgreg »

Cooper’stown and three locations of Z’Tejas Southwestern Grill are closing up here in Phoenix.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Any opinions on Wild Garlic Grill? The new location is about 5-10 minutes from my house, so I was thinking about giving it a go. I was a little bugged out by the appetizers for $13-15.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It’s good. I’ve know the chef, for years - like mid 90’s. He’s very talented and has a great rep at WGG. I haven’t been to the new place yet. Sounds like Foothills prices...maybe happy hour?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

One of the best meals you will have in Tucson. Go all out! Can't wait to check out the new spot
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

wyo-cat wrote:It’s good. I’ve know the chef, for years - like mid 90’s. He’s very talented and has a great rep at WGG. I haven’t been to the new place yet. Sounds like Foothills prices...maybe happy hour?
Finally went Sunday. It was very good, if pricey.

I got a cup of wild mushroom soup, which was very mushroom centric and very good. Then San Francisco pier stew. I should have laid off the appetizer. There was a ton of fish and a tasty broth. In hindsight, I should have conserved money by laying off the appetizer, because I could barely finish and was stuffed after.

My wife got the garlic chicken breast and liked it a lot. It had a ton of food too and some good garlic mashed potatoes. I only tried the potatoes, but she said she liked the chicken. We'll be going back...with a reservation. It was insanely busy.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I thought part of the charm of the place was the old location, but I'll try out the new one sometime. Never had a bad meal there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUCatFan wrote:I thought part of the charm of the place was the old location, but I'll try out the new one sometime. Never had a bad meal there.
I didn't go to the old location, but our waiter was mentioning that the new location was about 4-5 times the kitchen space and much larger in seating. It was crowded on a Sunday, so I can imagine them needing it.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Merkin wrote:Review of ex-Wildcat House now Brother John's (BroJos):

Seems pricey for a lunch destination to go all the way to N Stone.

http://tucson.com/entertainment/dining/ ... &id=201408" target="_blank
Was in town last weekend for the game and went to Brother John's. We got the deviled eggs, pork belly bites, brisket, pulled pork, cheesey Serrano grits, and potato salad. All was very very good. Will be back next time in town.

Also went to Blake's Lotaburger which I do every time that I am in town. I grew up on the green chile cheeseburgers in New Mexico. It was as good as ever.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Coop Cat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Review of ex-Wildcat House now Brother John's (BroJos):

Seems pricey for a lunch destination to go all the way to N Stone.

http://tucson.com/entertainment/dining/ ... &id=201408" target="_blank
Was in town last weekend for the game and went to Brother John's. We got the deviled eggs, pork belly bites, brisket, pulled pork, cheesey Serrano grits, and potato salad. All was very very good. Will be back next time in town.

Also went to Blake's Lotaburger which I do every time that I am in town. I grew up on the green chile cheeseburgers in New Mexico. It was as good as ever.
The brisket and pulled pork are very good there. Potato salad too.

I like the hot mess appetizer.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:Went to Culinary Dropout(Grant Rd Lumber) on Sunday. We were there for what seemed like 6 hours and there were never less than 200 people inside. It was a 50 minute wait but we found a spot at the bar. Ive had friends tell me its a 2 hour+ wait on Friday/Saturday nights but use the Open Table app and its quicker.

They have a massive gaming area with ping pong, cornhole, foosball and shuffleboard tables. I didn't eat all that much so I can't judge the food quite yet. 30+ kitchen staff working through clear glass was neat to watch. Its one of the best bar/lounges in Tucson though. They have a $1.95 brown bag beer and you don't know what it is until they crack it open for you.

If you signup for their email list they send you a $10 off your first $20: http://www.culinarydropout.com/email-signup/" target="_blank

Funny it seems like a lot of things come to Phoenix and then Tucson 4 years later. Makes sense
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So we'll be dealing with an apathetic alumni base in Tucson in 4 years?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:So we'll be dealing with an apathetic alumni base in Tucson in 4 years?
Have you seen the pathetic attendance at Arizona Stadium, it is already there
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:
Funny it seems like a lot of things come to Phoenix and then Tucson 4 years later. Makes sense
This isn't going to go well.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
This isn't going to go well.
Its a joke. With the population difference it makes total sense why Top Golf and Culinary Dropout and Dave and Busters all did. But it was a joke.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Seemed like more of a troll move. Just know that w/o Greg Byrne as the AD it will be more than 4 years before you get another Wildcat game in Phoenix against a non-ASU opponent. :)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

cats101 wrote:Seemed like more of a troll move. Just know that w/o Greg Byrne as the AD it will be more than 4 years before you get another Wildcat game in Phoenix against a non-ASU opponent. :)
It was a joke. Tucson has great restaurants. Better than most places in the Phoenix area.

Byrne was big on building Phoenix. Not sure if Heeke is. Nothing to indicate either way yet.

I did hear with all things considered that U of A made a lot of money on the game vs BYU so that might happen again sometime, but we will see as nothing has been rumored lately. As far as basketball, just depends if you can get a Duke or UNC or Kansas or Kentucky to play close neutral site games. I wouldnt mind seeing a UA KU matchup in Kansas City and Phoenix, provided the Phoenix game is a Saturday or Sunday.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Risky Business?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

No, no-no-no-no. No.

The site of Black Saturday, 2005 (Arizona vs. Illinois). Was going to meet Chicat there, but he couldn't get out of his friend's wedding in time.

So I happened to run into my first g/f instead. The one that got away.

With her new husband. Watching the WHOLE damn game there.

Just no.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wonder why he didn't go to a real restaurant. Tucson has much more to offer than that crap hole
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Wonder why he didn't go to a real restaurant. Tucson has much more to offer than that crap hole
Yeah, the original concept of "local hole-in-the-wall" has pretty much faded over time and evolved into "unique" menu item. Still enjoy watching all the different recipes and prep, but yeah, you'd think he could do much better in Tucson. Be interesting to see where else he went. I'm not a fan of the places he went in Boise several years ago. Too bad the strip club around the corner doesn't still serve finger steaks like it did back in the day...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BearDown89 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Wonder why he didn't go to a real restaurant. Tucson has much more to offer than that crap hole
Yeah, the original concept of "local hole-in-the-wall" has pretty much faded over time and evolved into "unique" menu item. Still enjoy watching all the different recipes and prep, but yeah, you'd think he could do much better in Tucson. Be interesting to see where else he went. I'm not a fan of the places he went in Boise several years ago. Too bad the strip club around the corner doesn't still serve finger steaks like it did back in the day...
I've heard the buffet at Raiders Reef is tasty.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I was very impressed with the new Wild Garlic Grill this past weekend. Got the San Francisco Pier Seafood Stew. Dayum.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

He didn't go to Risky Business. He went to Incas in the same plaza, which is really solid. He also went to Chef Alisha's (my favorite restaurant in town by far), Renee's Organic Oven (never been there), Rocco's (love it), Tumerico (been meaning to try it), and Zemam's (I prefer Desta, bust still really good.)

All in all, some solid choices.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just saw this. That's good...I love chef alisahs
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Big time, real-deal and funky, fresh spin.

It's all straight from the Guy Fieri phrasebook, so it does check out. My wife will watch food network, and they have DDD marathons. If you watch multiple episodes, it becomes obvious fairly fast that he basically says the same thing about every restaurant in basically the same order.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Big time, real-deal and funky, fresh spin.

It's all straight from the Guy Fieri phrasebook, so it does check out. My wife will watch food network, and they have DDD marathons. If you watch multiple episodes, it becomes obvious fairly fast that he basically says the same thing about every restaurant in basically the same order.
That can basically be said about any and all shows on Food Network, HGTV, Velocity or any other reality television, etc., etc. There's a cookie-cutter production template for all of it.

I still like seeing the different places, recipes and preparation though . . .
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I took my toddler to a Bob Evans Restaurant last night so I didn't have to feel bad about her toddler antics and manners. What I don't get is why there were people eating there who were clearly locals and didn't have toddlers. Why would adults willingly eat at a chain family restaurant?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

My daughter mercilessly taunts me with this food porn of a fat tasty enchilada style carne seca burro from Mi Nidito. She's in Tucson visiting her grandparents. Evil child.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Hol E Shit
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Definitely stopping by to check that out. Green/Red chili please!!