The Best Dog I Ever Knew

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: The Best Dog I Ever Knew

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:So, not a dog, but my wife and I are in the process of losing one of our two cats. His kidneys are failing, and the process has accelerated heavily lately. He's 16 and 1/2, so it is not odd, but it is hard coming to grips with the idea that he's slipping away.

I had both cats and dogs growing up. I was always taught they were part of the family, just in a different way from the human children. When I met my wife, she had two cats that had been only cats for 4 years, so we never wanted to upset the balance they had.

Right now, we're stuck in a place where I'd do anything to change the kidney progression and there's nothing we can do. We got a bad blood test result today..We're already managing the symptoms with meds and fluids, but the acceleration of the underlying disease. Each new blood test is a kick in the gut, and it's hardest knowing there's nothing that will help with the pain at the end.

So, for what it's worth, my heart goes out to everyone in this thread that's given special love and caring to a pet. Our guy loves to snuggle, and it breaks my heart that we'll lose the cat snuggling forever soon. Giving a pet a loving home is a special thing, and thanks to everyone here who does it.
So, I thought maybe we had months. Turns out we had days. Something bad happened last night and by today he couldn't walk. We called a vet to the home and had him put to sleep this afternoon.

For anyone who's dealt with the loss, God bless you in dealing. The stories of love in this thread bring up tears for me every time and especially today. This community is incredibly (especially for the internet) supportive. Pets are special and seeing everyone who's experienced that in this thread...well, you guys have good taste in universities and solid values in life.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

damn. my condolences. pets are always going to be one of life's greatest pleasures and joys. enjoy every moment with your furry little buddies. hardly anything is quite as hard as losing one when they are part of your family for years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not my dogs, but they certainly could be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Getting to be that point for my buddy. He turns 15 next month and while he still can take himself to the bathroom and eats fine and is happy and wants to play when I get home from work...his quality of life is degrading quickly. He has a gimpy leg from and ACL injury, has cataracts and is deaf. The vet says he has a heart arrhythmia and shouldn't be put under anesthesia since he'd probably die. The groomer won't really see him anymore since he's too old and fussy and may bite....

It's so tough since I know he's mentally fine and can still eat and get on the couch (with his step stool) but it's only going to be worse for him so I may be having him put down here real soon. Pets are always family to me so I know I'll be a blubbering mess for days afterwards.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm going to call the vet to put my 8 year old girl down tomorrow. She's perfectly healthy. She jumped all over me when I got home from work today. She's sitting in my lap giving me kisses right now. I love her.

She's also aggressive. She grabbed my 13 year old by the neck and shook him a few days ago. I keep them separate, but every time she manages to be in the same space as him, she attacks him. I've spent $1000s and countless hours on training and behavior therapy. I've put her on Prozac. She's just gotten worse and worse.

I'm fucking heartbroken, but it's just a matter of time before she bites a person or kills another dog. She isn't adoptable, and I owe her more than to make her spend her last days in the shelter and die scared and alone. She deserves for me to be in the room petting her and telling her I'm sorry.

If she had a physical illness, I think this would be easier, but she doesn't.

I'm broken right now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Really a sad fucking time to think about the puppy in asuhaters post. Last dog we got together as kids when we were 17 years old. Will be the end of an era and the death of a series of 4 cocker spaniel puppers we've had since before we were born. :(
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This thread is the worst.

Sorry to all of you.

Catfan... that is just a tough situation. I'm sure you are doing the right thing, but I know it doesn't make it any easier.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RIP Windy. My red-headed bitch and faithful companion!!

Rescued/Adopted 08/25/2007; deceased 09/17/2018
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This thread sucks.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Sorry to all who have had their dog pass away. I have a husky who just turned 3 years old and she is so loyal. I hate to even think about the day I have to take her to the vet and put her to sleep.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Shit this was a tough read.

Best thoughts are with you all.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

The vet wants to try upping her dose of Prozac to see if that helps. We talked about it for a long time, and if there's even a tiny little chance, I have to try, so she gets a reprieve. God, I hope this works.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUCatFan wrote:The vet wants to try upping her dose of Prozac to see if that helps. We talked about it for a long time, and if there's even a tiny little chance, I have to try, so she gets a reprieve. God, I hope this works.
Good luck buddy.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm sitting here looking up euthanasia costs and information while he sleeps on the couch and ugh.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:I'm sitting here looking up euthanasia costs and information while he sleeps on the couch and ugh.
There is no good way to do this, but for my dog who we had to put down about 2 years ago- he absolutely hated to go to the vet. He would completely freeze up and start shaking uncontrollably. We really didn't want his last moments to be like that. Through a friend, we were able to find a vet that does house calls and was able to come to our house and just let him relax with me on the floor and was patient with us and didn't start the shots until we were all ready. I've had to put 4 dogs down in my life, and this was the most peaceful of all of them.

The downside... it is more expensive and then you need to load up and take your dog to the dog cemetery. The Pet Cemetery of Tucson is actually a pretty nice place.

Again... sorry to all of you who have or currently are going through this.
CBCat

Re: The Best Dog I Ever Knew: A Memorium

Post by CBCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:This thread makes me dread the day I will have to eventually say goodbye to my dog.
Me too
My 12 1/2 yr old choc Lab Moose.
I’m cherishing every day. Sweet soul and the one dog I least expected to outlast all the other rest. Peace to you. I’m so sorry
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My heart goes out to anyone who is or has dealt with loss of a pet. I have a hard time reading the new posts because they're hard to read without being really sad. Having a furry companion is a blessing, and it does make me happy to see the people in this thread who recognize this.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Sorry to everyone going thru this tough situation with their animals recently. One of the hardest things in life to go through. It really sucks and no words do justice to the various feelings you have to recognize/face/absorb and somehow keep life moving.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Rip Reagan. My best bud 2003-2018. I'll miss you.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:(

I love dogs. My kids have never known not having a dog, besides the time after one passes and we get another.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote::(

I love dogs. My kids have never known not having a dog, besides the time after one passes and we get another.

He went peacefully enough this morning. After the sedative he was snoring like a freight train in my lap when he passed. Gave me one last smile with him.

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote::(

He went peacefully enough this morning. After the sedative he was snoring like a freight train in my lap when he passed. Gave me one last smile with him.

Sorry Hater. Some days just suck, no two ways about it. I know how it feels. Hang in there.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm so sorry, Hater. I'm glad your dog got to live his life with a friend like you.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASUCatFan wrote:I'm so sorry, Hater. I'm glad your dog got to live his life with a friend like you.
One of the toughest days I've had in a while. Came home from running an errand and I was taken aback when my buddy wasn't there to greet me at the door. Going to be tough getting used to that

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

In today's world, I especially love dogs.

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I went with my parents to put down our dog tonight. He had been in the family for fourteen years. Over the last two weeks he had an obstruction in his small intestine that made him terribly ill. The vet said that given his condition and age, he probably wouldn't have survived surgery. I held him in my arms till the end. My whole family is distraught. I was holding him before the vet came in and I realized it was not the dog I remember. His eyes and expression had that of someone that was tired, in agony, and defeated. It broke my heart. I know it was the humane thing to do, but it still hurts.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Ugh. I'm so sorry. All the best to you and your family. You did the right thing as hard as it was to do.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I just adopted the cutest Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd mix. She was eight weeks old when we picked her up two weeks ago, is in great health, fascinatingly smart and cunning, and already has a hold on our heart. Reading through this thread is heart breaking. It certainly was before I had my pup, but now even more so. The bond that has been formed these last two weeks is fairy-tailish. I can hardly imagine losing her after a mere two weeks, let alone after a bond of 14 years.

I appreciate everyone sharing, more than you realize.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TucsonClip wrote:I just adopted the cutest Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd mix. She was eight weeks old when we picked her up two weeks ago, is in great health, fascinatingly smart and cunning, and already has a hold on our heart. Reading through this thread is heart breaking. It certainly was before I had my pup, but now even more so. The bond that has been formed these last two weeks is fairy-tailish. I can hardly imagine losing her after a mere two weeks, let alone after a bond of 14 years.

I appreciate everyone sharing, more than you realize.
I have a Border Collie / Aussie mix as well.... He is amazing!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Sorry to hear, WildcatStunner. Sounds like what my folks went through with their dog Duke. Almost 15 and in obvious pain, going blind, entirely deaf. Remember the good times and know you’re freeing it’s soul to become that young pup again.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Thank you all for the condolences. The family is doing a little better today. We are really just focusing on the joy and happiness he brought everyone.

We will miss him. But I will take the pain in comparison to all the fun we had.

Sorry, the pic is kind of big.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I love him!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

yesterday and this morning have been very difficult...our husky, Dakota, was put down this morning after living a beautiful 14 years.

she was the most gentle and loving creature my family has ever known, and my 11 year old daughters protector and best friend.

to describe how im feeling is beyond words - im crushed.

god bless you, Dakota...you truly were the best dog i ever knew.

RIP
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

97cats wrote:yesterday and this morning have been very difficult...our husky, Dakota, was put down this morning after living a beautiful 14 years.

she was the most gentle and loving creature my family has ever known, and my 11 year old daughters protector and best friend.

RIP
I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you feel. It gets better but it was really tough on me the first weeks after I put down my dog. Coming home from work and not having a happy dog greeting you (especially when you live alone) was the worst.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So sorry Jon... I know how much it hurts.

All my best to you and your family.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

to 97 and everyone else who's lost a beloved animal, my condolences and also my apologies as I never know what to say in these situations.

I know that no words soothed me when I lost the best dog that ever lived (no offense to anyone), and so I don't know any magic words to help anyone else feel better in the same situation.

I'm not going to lie, it doesn't really get better with time, perhaps just a bit less painful, and there might come day when you can reminisce about the good times without immediately feeling the loss and heart ache. I say might because I've yet to reach that point, and it's been about 22 years for me now since I lost him. Hell, even writing this much about it is bringing moisture to the eyes and a scratchiness to the throat.

Meh, ignore me, I'm just a fool who got too attached to his childhood dog.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This threads sucks.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm sorry, man.

The best dog I ever knew was a St. Bernard named Heidi. But every other dog has been pretty much right there. Dogs are amazing. They may kill me one day due to my asthma and my inability to keep my distance from them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:yesterday and this morning have been very difficult...our husky, Dakota, was put down this morning after living a beautiful 14 years.

RIP
Dogs are family. No two ways about it. And losing one is just awful.

I’ll be thinking about you all. Gonna give my fluffy guy an extra treat tonight in Dakota’s memory.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:This threads sucks.
It’s hard. But I will click back to my first post and read and see the wonderful photos and smile. It’s crushing. But in time, my hope, is catharsis. I hope the same for everyone who has shared.

Very sorry, Jon.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Decades after the loss of my childhood dog he is at the heart of some wonderful, restorative and hopeful dreams. I awake and life just feels healed. It will for you, too.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm sorry, '97.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

thx, All - today is a new day.

every message and thought was/is much appreciated
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

RIP
Very sorry to hear this. I have a husky and she is the best dog I have ever had. Hope your daughter is doing ok, along with you.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Glad Trump doesn't have a dog.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Dogs are perfect.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Parrots, too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

As before, my best wishes to everyone in this thread.

I thought I'd post a positive thing. We lost one cat last year, and our girl turned 17 this February. In April, she had a kidney episode and her creatinine was at a fatal level at the emergency vet.

We hospitalized her for 3 days. It was hard leaving her for IV treatment. We saw her one hour a day for visiting hours until we could take her home.

She appears to be fairly stable. Her creatinine dropped from 7.6 to below 4 and has been right around 4 since. We have had at least 8 more months with her and I'm happy for every day.

She was my wife's before I entered the picture. She has always been a little scared of my face (common with women) but lately she's been more affectionate than ever. She sleeps lengthwise between my wife and I.

So, my thoughts are with all the good, loving pet owners in here. The time with our pets we have are special.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:As before, my best wishes to everyone in this thread.

I thought I'd post a positive thing. We lost one cat last year, and our girl turned 17 this February. In April, she had a kidney episode and her creatinine was at a fatal level at the emergency vet.

We hospitalized her for 3 days. It was hard leaving her for IV treatment. We saw her one hour a day for visiting hours until we could take her home.

She appears to be fairly stable. Her creatinine dropped from 7.6 to below 4 and has been right around 4 since. We have had at least 8 more months with her and I'm happy for every day.

She was my wife's before I entered the picture. She has always been a little scared of my face (common with women) but lately she's been more affectionate than ever. She sleeps lengthwise between my wife and I.

So, my thoughts are with all the good, loving pet owners in here. The time with our pets we have are special.
That’s a bummer Spiff. But glad you have more time. My guys are young (5 years old) but one was assessed as borderline on the creatinine when he had to have a tooth removed. Went back a few months later and his values went down just into the acceptable range. I’ll have him tested again in January before I leave for Dubai. I don’t know what the implications are, but I’m hoping his values go down even further so he’s not borderline anymore.