If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Went to the new Seis Kitchen at River/Campbell on Sunday. Tacos were good and the best Tomatillo based salsa I've ever had.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ASUCatFan wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Wonder why he didn't go to a real restaurant. Tucson has much more to offer than that crap hole
He didn't go to Risky Business. He went to Incas in the same plaza, which is really solid. He also went to Chef Alisha's (my favorite restaurant in town by far), Renee's Organic Oven (never been there), Rocco's (love it), Tumerico (been meaning to try it), and Zemam's (I prefer Desta, bust still really good.)

All in all, some solid choices.
Watching the Renee's Organic Oven episode now. Guy said it was in a strip mall in north east Tucson I believe. Where is it? Looks good.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

BearDown89 wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Wonder why he didn't go to a real restaurant. Tucson has much more to offer than that crap hole
He didn't go to Risky Business. He went to Incas in the same plaza, which is really solid. He also went to Chef Alisha's (my favorite restaurant in town by far), Renee's Organic Oven (never been there), Rocco's (love it), Tumerico (been meaning to try it), and Zemam's (I prefer Desta, bust still really good.)

All in all, some solid choices.
Watching the Renee's Organic Oven episode now. Guy said it was in a strip mall in north east Tucson I believe. Where is it? Looks good.

NW corner of Sabino Canyon and Tanque Verde.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Ate at the Quesadillas tonight. Such amazing barbacoa and carne asada and salsa bar.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like apartments are going up where Maloney's used to be.

http://tucson.com/business/proposed-apa ... aign=share" target="_blank
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Anyone been to El Barraco?

I'd never heard of it before but we ended up there last night and it's awesome. It's a seafood / Latin/ Mexican place that is designed to look like a submarine. It's pretty unique and fun. It's on 1st Ave between Glen and Ft Lowell. If you like seafood check it out. If you don't... don't go! They literally have zero dishes with chicken or beef, etc... it's 100% seafood. They have a huge menu and is fairly reasonably priced. I had the Marisquera which is linguini with a white wine sauce with Shrimp, Mussels, clams, and octopus..... so good.

I need to go back and explore more of the menu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just went to Roma Imports for the first time. Dunno why I haven't gone in 14 years. It was great. Had a spicy meatball sub and traditional Italian sandwich for lunch. Bought some veal goulash and vodka sauce from the frozen section to bring home. Amaziiing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My buddy is providing prizes for a raffle and one is going to be $500 to a Tucson restaurant.

Anyone got a suggestion for somewhere you can easily spend that kind of money in one visit?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bob’s Steak & Chop House
Ginza Sushi
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Chicat wrote:My buddy is providing prizes for a raffle and one is going to be $500 to a Tucson restaurant.

Anyone got a suggestion for somewhere you can easily spend that kind of money in one visit?
Probably either The Grill at Hacienda Del Sol, the Arizona Inn Main Dining Room, or Fleming's.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Eegees
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Bob’s Steak & Chop House
Ginza Sushi
Awesome, thanks Jefe.
ASUCatFan wrote:Probably either The Grill at Hacienda Del Sol, the Arizona Inn Main Dining Room, or Fleming's.
This was my suggestion. I’m partial to Hacienda because that’s where I got married. To this day it’s still the best wedding food I’ve ever eaten.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'd say hacienda too
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mike Stoops recommends Sullivan's.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:Mike Stoops recommends Sullivan's.
It's an old meme sir, but it checks out.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Mike Stoops recommends Sullivan's.
It's an old meme sir, but it checks out.
:lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Eegee's sold to NY investment firm.

https://tucson.com/business/tucson-base ... the-latest" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Expansion in the works?

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

2nd time they have been sold if I remember correctly
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hilarious reading accounts of Tucsonans are falling all over themselves with excitement over their experience at the first Dutch Bros. grand opening in town.

Guys, there are more than 30 locations all over the state. If the Dutch Bros. experience is revelatory to you, you must be housebound.

Of course, I remember a similar citywide response barely a decade ago for the city's first In-n-Out and Chick-fil-A, so...welcome to life in the slow lane, I guess.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:Hilarious reading accounts of Tucsonans are falling all over themselves with excitement over their experience at the first Dutch Bros. grand opening in town.

Guys, there are more than 30 locations all over the state. If the Dutch Bros. experience is revelatory to you, you must be housebound.

Of course, I remember a similar citywide response barely a decade ago for the city's first In-n-Out and Chick-fil-A, so...welcome to life in the slow lane, I guess.
While I enjoy me some in n out very much, the things people get excited about are weird. Tucson has an insane variety of good local restaurants that have opened in the last 5 years.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Hilarious reading accounts of Tucsonans are falling all over themselves with excitement over their experience at the first Dutch Bros. grand opening in town.

Talk about In-N-Out all you want, but leave Chick Fil A out of this. Chick Fil A is legitimately something to be excited about.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Talk about In-N-Out all you want, but leave Chick Fil A out of this. Chick Fil A is legitimately something to be excited about.
Unfortunately their politics have made me not pay to eat there in about 3 years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't eat fast food, so politics or not, I avoid both those places. Cutting back on red meats and fried foods.

However, I did enjoy the double double protein style with grilled onions when I did go there. Quite tasty.

Did enjoy some free Chick-Fil-A sandwiches a couple times due to coupons I had, but would never pay for a meal there.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

84Cat wrote:2nd time they have been sold if I remember correctly
Yep Ed Irving sold it in 2007. Sounds like they will be expanding as well as remodeling existing locations

Who knew flavored ice and homemade ranch dressing would be worth millions
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't know why fake bacon bits and frozen crinkle fries doused in ranch is so good, but it is.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't know why fake bacon bits and frozen crinkle fries doused in ranch is so good, but it is.
Because buried in our genetic code, way down deep, we remember the lean times... the hard times. We remember when the crops failed and the herds thinned and the cold gripped the land. The starving times are chiseled into our DNA.

So you might as well get the extra large.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I don't know why fake bacon bits and frozen crinkle fries doused in ranch is so good, but it is.
Because buried in our genetic code, way down deep, we remember the lean times... the hard times. We remember when the crops failed and the herds thinned and the cold gripped the land. The starving times are chiseled into our DNA.

So you might as well get the extra large.
I love these things that bind us together as Arizona fans. Whether we went to school in the 70s or 90s or present or lived our whole lives in Tucson or just spent 8 months a year there in a 45 month college period, we all had the same stuff.

Eegees, waiting at taco shop lobbies are 230 am for food, 1st and Grant Fry's...

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My fat ass has eaten out more the last month or two than usual. But boy was it good.

Friday-Chile colorado at Guadalajara Grill
Sunday-mixed grill platter at Chef Alisah's (absolutely one of the best in Tucson)
Tuesday-Spicy tuna volcano bowl, fried jalapeno stuffed with crab, and spicy teriyaki pork bowl with miso soup from Samurai Japanese

3 of my all time Tucson favorites in one week.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I guess there’s no good pizza in Tucson. I’ve run out of places to try.

Great food city, just a strange thing for everyone to agree to do terribly. If one decent pizzeria came around, they’d take over.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:I guess there’s no good pizza in Tucson. I’ve run out of places to try.

Great food city, just a strange thing for everyone to agree to do terribly. If one decent pizzeria came around, they’d take over.
Been to Anello or Fiamme yet?

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Vero Amore
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Longhorned wrote:I guess there’s no good pizza in Tucson. I’ve run out of places to try.

Upper Crust and Arizona Pizza Company are both good for a quick slice.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Papa Johns. You're welcome.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASUCatFan wrote:

Upper Crust and Arizona Pizza Company are both good for a quick slice.
SBTR at Upper Crust is always good.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:

No, I should specify. I mean delivery and take out, not Neapolitan sit-down. Every Friday, my 2 year old wants pizza night in front of the TV. Maybe it’s the style of pizza in Arizona and California that I don’t like. Like a NY pizza but with an oddly doughy crust, and nobody has good sausage. I tried Oregano’s, which is midwestern style, but it’s so salty, it’s bitter. Who pours cheap iodized salt all over the cheese on a pizza? Way to ruin potential.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks for those recs! We’ll try them. They hadn’t made it into any articles I’ve read about Tucson pizza.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

No, I should specify. I mean delivery and take out, not Neapolitan sit-down. Every Friday, my 2 year old wants pizza night in front of the TV. Maybe it’s the style of pizza in Arizona and California that I don’t like. Like a NY pizza but with an oddly doughy crust, and nobody has good sausage. I tried Oregano’s, which is midwestern style, but it’s so salty, it’s bitter. Who pours cheap iodized salt all over the cheese on a pizza? Way to ruin potential.
Midwesterners over salt everything.

And I would recommend Upper Crust if you haven't had it yet for what you're looking for.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think the main problem with midwestern food is that midwesterners internalize that they’re farm animals and set the quality bar accordingly.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:I think the main problem with midwestern food is that midwesterners internalize that they’re farm animals and set the quality bar accordingly.
I'm going to frame this statement.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Rocco's has really good sausage, but their pizza is usually too greasy for me. Plus, they cut it in squares, which I hate.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUCatFan wrote:Rocco's has really good sausage, but their pizza is usually too greasy for me. Plus, they cut it in squares, which I hate.
That's as bad as not cutting a sammy on the diagonal. Unforgivable.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

A proper Chicago pizza has to be square cut. Radial cut isn’t structurally possible.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I thought Rocco's was pretty damn good.

NYPD on Tanque Verde is good NY style.
The owner is a former UA O lineman.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’m starting to suspect Rocco’s might be my pizza.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicago pizza isn't pizza; it's an overcooked yet gelatinous pancake above-ground pool with 23 unidentified things swimming in greese (cheese+grease). I'd sooner eat grout compound.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Rocco's supposedly has good wings too. Somehow I haven't been in my 15 years here
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Chicago pizza isn't pizza; it's an overcooked yet gelatinous pancake above-ground pool with 23 unidentified things swimming in greese (cheese+grease). I'd sooner eat grout compound.

There's also Chicago thin crust which is delicious.

Had it at both Giordano's and Geno's East in Chi-Town.

Rosati's does a decent version too.
-JB
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Chicago pizza isn't pizza; it's an overcooked yet gelatinous pancake above-ground pool with 23 unidentified things swimming in greese (cheese+grease). I'd sooner eat grout compound.

There's also Chicago thin crust which is delicious.

Had it at both Giordano's and Geno's East in Chi-Town.

Rosati's does a decent version too.
Is that like St Louis pizza?