Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Venting Thread

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Seriously? You too, did it three years in a row?

I'm feeling like a bona fide wimp here, cause we average a move only about every 6-7 years. Wait, did your mover show up an hour and a half late, with no dollies, ignorant or your building and knowing no English? Did you then drive eight hours on four hours of sleep and have good reason to think you'd lost your wallet at one of two gas stations many miles apart, and get to witness your wife of multiple decades quickly evolve into a starved velociraptor..... only to discover she had ever so slightly MORE culpability in the misunderstanding? After a frantic dash back to the last gas station, after fevered calls to the previous one, before I found my wallet, I figured she was gonna open me up like a ripe melon and eat my liver right there in the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express.

YESTERDAY, I really could have used the Venting Thread yesterday.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Seriously? You too, did it three years in a row?

I'm feeling like a bona fide wimp here, cause we average a move only about every 6-7 years. Wait, did your mover show up an hour and a half late, with no dollies, ignorant or your building and knowing no English? Did you then drive eight hours on four hours of sleep and have good reason to think you'd lost your wallet at one of two gas stations many miles apart, and get to witness your wife of multiple decades quickly evolve into a starved velociraptor..... only to discover she had ever so slightly MORE culpability in the misunderstanding? After a frantic dash back to the last gas station, after fevered calls to the previous one, before I found my wallet, I figured she was gonna open me up like a ripe melon and eat my liver right there in the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express.

This makes me dread the possibility of moving next year. I'm 33 years old and have moved once in my life, almost 14 years ago.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Seriously? You too, did it three years in a row?

I was college and didn't own much. Other than my bed I could fit everything in my Nissan pickup.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Southwest lost my luggage two flights in a row.

Thankful they got me there safely and not in one of their Boeing 800 Max 8s, but why couldn’t my luggage make it too?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's crazy. Southwest has always been bear the top in baggage handling I think and baggage handling overall is better than it's ever been. Bad luck there.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:Southwest lost my luggage two flights in a row.

Thankful they got me there safely and not in one of their Boeing 800 Max 8s, but why couldn’t my luggage make it too?
Maybe they were trying to tell you a little something about your wardrobe? Too many Jean shorts and cargo pants?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hate southwest.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Southwest is all I've flown the last 8 or 9 years and I've never had a single issue or problem. Of course most of my travel has been just the west coast and Midwest but it's always been easy, cheap, and convenient with fantastic service. If I was consistently flying cross country or internationally I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I really only fly Southwest, and this is the first time I’ve had an issue. But two lost bags six days apart seems like the start of a downward slide, no matter how many pairs of cargo shorts I may have packed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

scumdevils86 wrote:Southwest is all I've flown the last 8 or 9 years and I've never had a single issue or problem. Of course most of my travel has been just the west coast and Midwest but it's always been easy, cheap, and convenient with fantastic service. If I was consistently flying cross country or internationally I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.
You going to be one of those brave souls who tries out Soutwest to Hawaii?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My wife bought a $8.49 bottle of Paddy Devil's apple whiskey. It tastes just like it sounds.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:My wife bought a $8.49 bottle of Paddy Devil's apple whiskey. It tastes just like it sounds.
Like Paddy Devil’s Apple Dick?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:My wife bought a $8.49 bottle of Paddy Devil's apple whiskey. It tastes just like it sounds.
Tough choice over what to be more concerned about here: whether you or your wife knows what his dick tastes like. :?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Put it this way. My paint brush won't come near the stuff.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Almost 15 hour workday today. About 12 hours of which was spent fixing another department's screw up that almost completely derailed a 16 month project that culminates in 6 days.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

14 hour day today, I'm not doing so great with that!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good time to ask for a raise.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Good time to ask for a raise.
Doesn't work like that there unfortunately for sd86. You get your yearly raise dependent on your performance review and that's it.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Doesn't work like that there unfortunately for sd86. You get your yearly raise dependent on your performance review and that's it.
Then maybe he can get a bonus. Nothing over the top, just $10,000 or so.

I have friends who would be pissed to no end if their annual bonus was only $10K. When you add them all up, my total annual bonuses for my entire work history is $0.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:14 hour day today, I'm not doing so great with that!
I admire and caution you. That's easy for me to say, but I mean it. I hope your plans and goals are met because your effort sure deserves it. But be careful man.
ASUHATER! wrote:
Too many guys my age seem to think guys y'alls age aren't going to hammer yourselves the way we used to.... and I can't understand that conceit. Youth isn't wasted on the young, it's exactly where it needs to be.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Then maybe he can get a bonus. Nothing over the top, just $10,000 or so.

I have friends who would be pissed to no end if their annual bonus was only $10K. When you add them all up, my total annual bonuses for my entire work history is $0.
Haha yeah no. I worked there too for a while and that ain't happening.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I do have an exit strategy for 2020, been with the same company for going on 12 years and I'm not particularly old. Grown and learned a lot but it'll be time.

I am getting a tiny "bonus" when this project is over. Only makes up for about 10% of the extra hours I'm working though.

I'd be doing better if the wife was around, but she's in Wisconsin and I'm living the bachelor workaholic life for a week.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I can't remember the last time I didn't work overtime.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I want to write articles about the Parthenon all the time.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:I can't remember the last time I didn't work overtime.
As a sole proprietor I put in 90 hour weeks, each of 6 days. But I only could get 8 months out of each year. No employees. No boss. Just a government technician performing a cold inspection one week behind me. I sure won't miss 12 hours of rain and wet brush in a clammy rubber suit.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm fucking tired. I've worked 6 days a week for 3 months. I know other people have done worse but I'm a lazy millennial apparently and am not built for this work harder not smarter mentality. I literally am ecstatic to have a 2 day weekend again someday. Especially since I'm maxed out on PTO due to seniority but I can't use it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bed shopping sucks.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:Bed shopping sucks.
Buy a Purple on line. Done. You’re welcome
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:
azgreg wrote:Bed shopping sucks.
Buy a Purple on line. Done. You’re welcome
We've (wife) has decided to go with an adjustable bed in Cal king size. Purple doesn't offer a split Cal king.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Not sure how many more of these 14 hours days I can do.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Feel like I haven't been around these parts forever. Barely get to check in on threads during the day. Home by 8 tonight though so it's looking up!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I once had this horrible job at Northern Illinois University. One of the things I had to do every semester was repeat the same lecture every hour for a different audience for eight hours straight, five days a week for two weeks straight, in addition to teaching two other classes. Just to survive, I got a room at a Super 8 (at my expense on a $38.5K annual salary) so at least I wouldn't have to commute to work.

Just get through it, then never do it again.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I am not handling turning 55 as well as I thought I would.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:8 years ago next week my sister started work as an in-Home caregiver. She worked that job excellently well, winning city and regional acclaim and honors. 5 years ago her husband decided he wanted to fuck around, so, she did all this for her work with her own world falling apart. She braved everyday and battles and eventually she was given a promotion opportunity, which she grabbed a hold of, won, and hit the ground running, again, gaining regional acclaim, while battling through depression over her loss and her exes gain (a baby with his mistress, so now her children have a sibling not hers).

One year ago, she was aces. Then came a few people retiring and her caseload became untenable, and she was stockpiled with 8/10 of the most difficult care cases. About six months ago, she had a care giver completely screw up and in the flurry of activity, a few small things were missed, and slowly over the last 6 months they have emerged and now a job where she gets 3 strikes is now a job where one strike has accounted for all three Xs. She’s been told she will not be retained and to find new employment soon, because if she isn’t gone by Thanksgiving, she will be fired and company policy is all recommendations for fired employees are basically non-recommendations.

It’s complete and utter bullshit.

She didn’t even make the mistake. The scheduled shift didn’t show up for work. She covered the shift until backup got there, left a list, walked her through what to do, left, only to have the backup with an unfamiliar academy miss one aspect of the new case.

No actual harm occurred. But it doesn’t matter.

So, now, mother of 2 with 8 years of her 32 years invested in this career has been kicked to the curb.

Your career doesn’t give a shit about you.
Damn. This is what boomers don't get. You don't owe anything to your company. You don't mean shit to them 99% of the time. Take care of yourself, your family and your sanity first. Work to live, don't live to work. Work smarter not harder. You aren't required to give every ounce of energy and time and 40 years to some company anymore. Late stage capitalism has ensured that you're just a throwaway drone. I hope she gets back on her feet soon.
Not sure why when I clicked on this thread it sent me here, but this is just awful.

How is your sis JMJ?

In regards to 'Haters' comments, I was thinking when I first started in the workforce after college.

My dad was a long time IBMer, and when IBM at the time had never gone through a layoff. So they took the long time employees, and offered them a golden handshake of 5 years added to your age, 5 years added to your time at IBM, and 5% on top of that.

So what's a guy to do? My dad retired, when he wasn't quite ready.

Same thing happened to my first boss at PG&E. Wasn't ready to retire, but they gave him a sweetheart retirement package.

Now corporate America will just lay you off, including IBM.

Corporations are beholden to the stock owners, not to employees.
azgreg wrote:I can't remember the last time I didn't work overtime.

I can't remember the last time I did work overtime. I am exempt, so don't get paid for it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Trees, Property Lines, Neighbors who want to control nature/the neighborhood.

Big oak (not over property line), blocking sun for old bat's ornamental plant.

Sorry lady, them's the breaks, I've got county and state law in my favor baby.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Hey middle school mom- If my 6th grader sends your 6th grader (who is his good friend) a text that you feel is inappropriate.... tell me about it... not the school fucking principle. Thanks for getting my kid an in school suspension for a fucking meme.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Hey middle school mom- If my 6th grader sends your 6th grader (who is his good friend) a text that you feel is inappropriate.... tell me about it... not the school fucking principle. Thanks for getting my kid an in school suspension for a fucking meme.
What was her ultimate end goal? To get your kid expelled and ruin his life? People fucking suck.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Hey middle school mom- If my 6th grader sends your 6th grader (who is his good friend) a text that you feel is inappropriate.... tell me about it... not the school fucking principle. Thanks for getting my kid an in school suspension for a fucking meme.
What was her ultimate end goal? To get your kid expelled and ruin his life? People fucking suck.
I don't fucking know. The thing is... we are friendly with her. Our kids hang out... she has our phone numbers. No... it was not something my kid should be texting... and yes... we would have given him a punishment... but Fuck You!!!!! Let us take care of it, not the school.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I don't fucking know. The thing is... we are friendly with her. Our kids hang out... she has our phone numbers. No... it was not something my kid should be texting... and yes... we would have given him a punishment... but Fuck You!!!!! Let us take care of it, not the school.
Did he text it at school? I just don't see how this is a school issue even if it did happen to occur during school or on school grounds. Hence my question about her ultimate goal.

This woman better hope and pray her precious little angel never does anything wrong. I mean, the principal obviously will need to be alerted ASAP so he better mind his fucking P's and Q's...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I just want to know what this dank meme was.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Did he text it at school? I just don't see how this is a school issue even if it did happen to occur during school or on school grounds. Hence my question about her ultimate goal.

This woman better hope and pray her precious little angel never does anything wrong. I mean, the principal obviously will need to be alerted ASAP so he better mind his fucking P's and Q's...
Yes he was on school grounds when he texted it, so it does violates the code of conduct... but I agree with you, it really doesn't seem like a school issue so it pisses me off. It wasn't a mean or threatening text.... I don't know what she was thinking. I am a very reasonable person. All she has to do is call me, I'll take care off it... it won't happen again, end of discussion. But instead she chose to escalate it and bring the school into it. Now it's personal.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Yes he was on school grounds when he texted it, so it does violates the code of conduct... but I agree with you, it really doesn't seem like a school issue so it pisses me off. It wasn't a mean or threatening text.... I don't know what she was thinking. I am a very reasonable person. All she has to do is call me, I'll take care off it... it won't happen again, end of discussion. But instead she chose to escalate it and bring the school into it. Now it's personal.
And I have to say, it's pretty bush league that the Principal didn't at any point say, "Is this something you can address directly with his parents? While this did occur on school grounds, I'm not sure that school punishment would be more impactful or useful than what his parents can administer."

Seems like school admin nowadays err on the side of punishment instead of common sense solutions such as handle your own shit and quit trying to narc on a good kid. Also, get some hobbies that don't revolve around trying to stir up shit between a kid and his educators.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Definitely odd lieb, especially if it wasn't mean or hateful. Why not just address it with your own kid first? They're not adults but you can have an adult conversation with a 12 year old about something inappropriate if it only happened one time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God that sucks Alieb.

I hope you get the chance to serve the bitch some crow.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thanks to DirecTV Now for going out in the bottom of the 7th of the softball game.

:evil:

And now again with 30 seconds left in the Eastern Conference Final
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My sister’s boss surprised everyone... had them work until 6 tonight instead of 2 pm, so that he could give them Monday off. Very nice. Very cool.

So, why am I venting?

Because all week he told them they were working Monday. So, my sister arranged to have a job interview at 4 pm today for an ideal job where she’d work 8–5 M-F with Medical and a comparable wage. She scheduled it because she always had 4 pm Saturday’s for herself. The admin who specifically asked me about her and scheduled time to come in on Saturday of a Holiday weekend to interview her says she understands that my sister couldn’t make the interview today and will call to reschedule

Fingers crossed, but this fucking sucks so much.

This was my sister’s big break... and her boss trying to be nice with a surprise fucked the whole thing up for her because she tried to do it on the sly since it’s not a given she gets the job.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Walked into the restroom at work this morning and caught the janitor cleaning the sinks with a mop.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Walked into the restroom at work this morning and caught the janitor cleaning the sinks with a mop.
Why is this surprising, or some kind of problem?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:Walked into the restroom at work this morning and caught the janitor cleaning the sinks with a mop.
When you find out, let us know how he cleans the toilets too....is it any different?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Both of my kids take hip-hop dance through a studio. This weekend is the annual recital. So far it’s been a total clusterfuck including a secret rehearsal no one bothered to inform us of. The owner of the studio is the world’s hugest bitch and just told me, “I’m not sure if this is your first recital but this is how it’s always been done.” This is our third year. I hope she gets a cold sore that eventually spreads all over her face.

MountainCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
When you find out, let us know how he cleans the toilets too....is it any different?
Better than a spit shine no matter what.