$2.61

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

$2.61

Post by Merkin »

Paid $3.35 in Tucson Saturday morning, and $3.95 in Buellton Saturday evening driving home. $3.55 Quartzsite filling up before the CA border.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/06/ ... a-bargain/

The average price of a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline in Los Angeles County dropped three-tenths of a cent Friday to $4.129, its lowest since April 7, according to figures from the AAA and Oil Price Information Service. While that price is nearly 13 cents more than one year ago, most experts are predicting a relatively tame 7 to 10 cents a gallon increase in the next two weeks as the summer season kicks off.
But any reduction in the flow of Iraqi crude due to the ongoing Islamic insurgency in the northern Iraq cities of Mosul and Tikrit could have worldwide economic consequences, according to oil industry analyst Phill Flynn, who said speculators are watching for the worst-case scenario.
“They think that Baghdad will not fall and that will be a more spirited defense of that city,” Flynn said. “But if it does fall and if the terrorists move further south, the price you’re paying at the pump today is gonna look like a bargain in a couple weeks.”
gumby

Re: $2.61

Post by gumby »

Men watch gas prices the way women watch shoe prices.

Bottled water is the real ripoff.

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2 ... -gasoline/
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So...speaking of gasoline...what the hell is in this stuff?

http://www.mymagictank.com/
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:Men watch gas prices the way women watch shoe prices.

Bottled water is the real ripoff.

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2 ... -gasoline/
Well, they both have pumps. :D
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rep!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

http://news.yahoo.com/senators-propose- ... nance.html
WASHINGTON (AP) — Two senators unveiled a bipartisan plan Wednesday to raise federal gasoline and diesel taxes for the first time in more than two decades, pitching the proposal as a solution to Congress' struggle to pay for highway and transit programs.

The plan offered by Sens. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Bob Corker, R-Tenn., would raise the 18.4-cents-a-gallon federal gas tax and 24.4-cents-a- gallon diesel tax by 12 cents each over the next two years, and then index the taxes to keep pace with inflation.

The plan also calls for offsetting the tax increases with other taxes cuts. Senators said that could be done by permanently extending six federal tax breaks that expired this year, but they indicated they would be open to other suggestions for offsets.

The federal Highway Trust Fund that pays for highway and transit aid is forecast to go broke by late August. Revenue from gas taxes and other transportation user fees that go into the fund haven't kept pace with federal aid promised to states. People are driving less per capita and cars are more fuel efficient, keeping revenues fairly flat. But nation's infrastructure is aging, creating greater demand for new and rebuilt roads and bridges. At the same time, the cost of construction has increased.

"For too long, Congress has shied away from taking serious action to update our country's aging infrastructure," Murphy said in a statement. "We're currently facing a transportation crisis that will only get worse if we don't take bold action to fund the Highway Trust Fund."

Since 2008, Congress has repeatedly dipped into the general treasury for money to keep the trust fund solvent, sometimes waiting until the government was the verge of slowing down payments to states. States have complained that the uncertainty over whether federal aid will be forthcoming has limited their ability to commit to larger projects that take years to plan and construct.

"Congress should be embarrassed that it has played chicken with the Highway Trust Fund and allowed it to become one of the largest budgeting failures in the federal government," Corker said.

The six expired tax breaks identified by the senators as possible offsets for fuel tax increases are a research and development tax credit, certain expensing by small businesses, the state and local sales tax deduction, increasing employer-provided transit benefits to the same level as parking benefits, a deduction for spending by teachers on classroom supplies, and an increased deduction for land conservation and easement donations.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:So...speaking of gasoline...what the hell is in this stuff?

"What if your at work and your spouse runs out of gas?"

Seems legit...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Im not even 30 and I remember $0.99/gallon :evil:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jefe wrote:Im not even 30 and I remember $0.99/gallon :evil:
right around when i got my driver's permit in the late summer of 2001, i remember filling up the car that i'm driving now for about $.89 a gallon for a couple weeks. cost just over $15 to fill up the tank. now it costs about $52 to fill up the same tank.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:So...speaking of gasoline...what the hell is in this stuff?

"What if your at work and your spouse runs out of gas?"

Seems legit...

"What if your at work and your spouse runs out of gas on the way to grammar class?"
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
right around when i got my driver's permit in the late summer of 2001, i remember filling up the car that i'm driving now for about $.89 a gallon for a couple weeks. cost just over $15 to fill up the tank. now it costs about $52 to fill up the same tank.
Once all that free Iraqi oil starts flowing it'll get back down there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Once all that free Iraqi oil starts flowing it'll get back down there.
what? well it won't be free if ISIS blows it all up...and gas will never again be below about $2.80 a gallon (in my mostly amateur opinion). just is too much money to be made by oil companies gouging people across the world. even if the US starts producing more of our own gas and isn't hugely reliant on the middle east anymore, i can still see average gas prices (even in cheap tucson) being $5 a gallon by the end of the decade and pushing $6+ a gallon in expensive parts of the US.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I was kidding.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:I was kidding.
i was hoping so haha. if they do take out that refinery or whatever, then the oil companies will use it as an excuse to jack up prices to $4.50 a gallon within a week because of a "shortage".

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I remember gas lines and odd/even license plate rules...it could be much worse.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

you "old timers" acting like 1974 was hundreds of years ago...geeze
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gas just went down .20 here overnight. I have no explanation for this.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:Gas just went down .20 here overnight. I have no explanation for this.
Fuckin Obama...oh wait, you said down...my bad.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:Gas just went down .20 here overnight. I have no explanation for this.
Fuckin Obama...oh wait, you said down...my bad.
He's just trying to support Hillary's book tour.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... e-24192721

Two senators unveiled a bipartisan plan Wednesday to raise federal gasoline and diesel taxes for the first time in more than two decades, pitching the proposal as a solution to Congress' struggle to pay for highway and transit programs.

The plan offered by Sens. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Bob Corker, R-Tenn., would raise the 18.4 cents-a-gallon federal gas tax and 24.4 cents-a-gallon diesel tax each by 12 cents over the next two years, and then index the taxes to keep pace with inflation. The increase would be applied in two increments of 6 cents each.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:
2009 is a terrible years to use as a benchmark.

Prices now are less than they were in 2008.

These things fluctuate.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Salty wrote:
Chicat wrote:
2009 is a terrible years to use as a benchmark.

Prices now are less than they were in 2008.

These things fluctuate.
I guess, if you believe cross-sectionally analyses as predictive of trends.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Filled up for $2.89 today.

Saw a headline that gas prices just hit a 4 year low.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Got a dollar off per gallon at Fry's Saturday and paid $1.85 per gallon. Had my wife bring up every vehicle we had and filled them all up.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

paid 2.77 in dallas a week ago.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I blame Obama!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

84Cat wrote:I blame Obama!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Edit: His continued support of fracking is an important piece of the puzzle, but he hasn't really done a ton policy-wise to impact oil/gas prices either way.

$2.59 this morning.

Further, if oil/gas prices continue to plummet it will have a negative impact on our economy and possibly lead to deflation. Production in the Midwest and Texas is at all time highs with supply dropping now that summer is over.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

the real dill wrote:
Edit: His continued support of fracking is an important piece of the puzzle, but he hasn't really done a ton policy-wise to impact oil/gas prices either way.

$2.59 this morning.

Further, if oil/gas prices continue to plummet it will have a negative impact on our economy and possibly lead to deflation. Production in the Midwest and Texas is at all time highs with supply dropping now that summer is over.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
Reverse ferret!
gumby

Post by gumby »

The White House chef has more effect on gas than Obama. But it is funny to see that this is only acknowledged when the price falls.

Great time for a carbon tax!
Last edited by gumby on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Chicat wrote:
the real dill wrote:

$2.59 this morning.

I'm not some Fox News advocate, but both of those statements are accurate in appropriate context.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote: Great time for a carbon tax!
Starting 1/1/15 in CA.

Going to hurt low wage earners quite a bit as they can least afford to live close where they work. Gas taxes are very regressive here, so the GOP should be very pleased. It was Schwarzenegger who signed it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

the real dill wrote:
Chicat wrote:
the real dill wrote:

$2.59 this morning.

I'm not some Fox News advocate, but both of those statements are accurate in appropriate context.
"Fox News" and "appropriate context" should not be used in the same sentence.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Paid 2.99 in Flagstaff, today. Cheapest in 4 years.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
Starting 1/1/15 in CA.

Going to hurt low wage earners quite a bit as they can least afford to live close where they work. Gas taxes are very regressive here, so the GOP should be very pleased. It was Schwarzenegger who signed it.
Should do it B.C. style. Money rebated. Basically, revenue neutral. Other taxes lowered.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Cheap gas hurts human comfort and longevity in the world.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Starting 1/1/15 in CA.

Should do it B.C. style. Money rebated. Basically, revenue neutral. Other taxes lowered.
I guess BC style is very carbon friendly.

Looks like the BC maximum net incomes for the tax rebate are $CDN32K and $CDN37K families. http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page?id ... 674F4EAABD

CA is pocketing a lot of the money, and plans to use some of it to build affordable housing near transportation hubs, and invest in that awful high speed rail between LA and the Bay Area that goes through the San Joaquin valley. What a terrible idea.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:paid 2.77 in dallas a week ago.
Just paid the same amount. Prices went down +$.10 overnight.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I remember friends blaming Bush for high prices during his term and all I could do was roll my eyes. Gas prices are set on global markets so President's have minimal impact on oil prices but that hasn't stopped the gop from bitching for the last 6 years. That being said, Bush opening up the oil contracts and Obama mostly continuing that policy has lead to record oil supply from the USA which has had a pretty big impact. Also, Saudi Arabia not cut back with this oil glut like they have in the past is the biggest reason gas in dropping.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts investment in the oil sector. Many have said that it has already impacted investment that will be felt for years. If the price continues to drop, I would expect to see some projects stop producing oil as they will be losing money to continue at these prices. I remember reading an Exxon blog post that claimed that it costs Exxon $2.75/gal to bring oil to the market. If that is accurate, something will have to give sooner or later.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I blamed Bush for high oil prices due to his Iraq invasion and increasing global tensions in that area which did lead to higher gas prices.

Other than that, no.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What we really should do is put the oil market in the hands of the government and run it with taxpayer money. Every driver could fuel up once per week without paying, and each additional time pay a supplement determined by the formula of average gallons per vehicle X current production and transport cost X the current Federal Fund Rate + 8.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Yes, exactly what we need, more government control :roll:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

in some areas, yes we do need government control.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:in some areas, yes we do need government control.
People who advocate for extremely limited government should be forced to live in that Libertarian utopia Liberia.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

12 cents a gallon in Venezuela.

Gas is cheaper in the US now that Mexico. Remember when people used to run for the border to get gas?
Mr.Zebra

Post by Mr.Zebra »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:in some areas, yes we do need government control.
People who advocate for extremely limited government should be forced to live in that Libertarian utopia Liberia.
Liberian girl, you came and you changed my world
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Longhorned wrote:What we really should do is put the oil market in the hands of the government and run it with taxpayer money. Every driver could fuel up once per week without paying, and each additional time pay a supplement determined by the formula of average gallons per vehicle X current production and transport cost X the current Federal Fund Rate + 8.
Why not just have the government control all money and hand out a weekly petty cash allowance along with whatever additional resources they deem appropriate for that week?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

the real dill wrote:
Longhorned wrote:What we really should do is put the oil market in the hands of the government and run it with taxpayer money. Every driver could fuel up once per week without paying, and each additional time pay a supplement determined by the formula of average gallons per vehicle X current production and transport cost X the current Federal Fund Rate + 8.
Why not just have the government control all money and hand out a weekly petty cash allowance along with whatever additional resources they deem appropriate for that week?
They should. Here's the formula for the weekly dole: (1 X each working adult + 0.25 x each child [maximum 0.75]) X CCL (current cost of living) + 5 certificates for government-made sandwiches with condiment packets.