Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Anyone here a fan of sweetbreads? Aside from Hannibal Lector devotees that is.
Me. I've had lots of amazing sweetbreads, but my favorite ever was sweetbreads fajitas at a beloved Mexican restaurant in San Antonio.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Anyone here a fan of sweetbreads? Aside from Hannibal Lector devotees that is.
I had some at Feast in Tucson with a pea puree and some other sauce last year. Delicious.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wife made broccoli chicken casserole and green chile chicken enchiladas this week. Some of the best staoles that always hit the spot.

I have some flanken cut beef ribs in the freezer, I'm thinking kalbi? Any ideas? I work 6 days a week now and just have Sundays to cook :( so nothing too long.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The curse of organ meat: death by heaven.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Shit, forgot to get my life together to start curing a brisket for corned beef and cabbage.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’ve fallen off the wagon this week and eaten really really well.

Boycotting gym this morning which on one level feels good but I know I’m going to beat myself up over it later.

Dinner at a old school Italian place near the house last night and a big healing bowl of seafood linguini and a few negroni’s.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

got treated to Hundred Acre last night
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:got treated to Hundred Acre last night
Would it be worth buying yourself? Does it blow away your favorite $90 bottle of wine? Or is it more like: Man, it's damn good, but whatever -- if you say so.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Cocktails, oysters, barrio bread, veal, lamb osso bucco and more at Agustin Kitchen tonight. Haven't had a meal that long and big in quite some time. Weather was perfect on the patio too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Cocktails, oysters, barrio bread, veal, lamb osso bucco and more at Agustin Kitchen tonight. Haven't had a meal that long and big in quite some time. Weather was perfect on the patio too.
Well done. I’ve never had dinner there, just brunch. But it sounds like your soul must have replenished.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

pizza
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

After seeing what Scum eats I'm eatin' crow.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Cocktails, oysters, barrio bread, veal, lamb osso bucco and more at Agustin Kitchen tonight. Haven't had a meal that long and big in quite some time. Weather was perfect on the patio too.
Well done. I’ve never had dinner there, just brunch. But it sounds like your soul must have replenished.
My first time there actually. Some kinda negative reviews lately but we wanted to give it a shot. Service was a bit slow but it honestly fit the meal perfectly. I'm usually in and out so quick for meals but we made it almost 2.5 hours tonight.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote: Would it be worth buying yourself? Does it blow away your favorite $90 bottle of wine? Or is it more like: Man, it's damn good, but whatever -- if you say so.
the only way i would order it would be if it was expensed - however, i was taken to dinner by a client and he ordered it, two actually :lol:

at the moment, i would order a french burgundy if the reserve list landed in my lap.

and yes, its absolutely dynamite all the way around...not as good as Scarecrow but great nonetheless.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ordered medium spicy red chicken curry from a awesome Thai place near the house last night and my 2yo slurped it all up!!!

I was so damn proud. She loved every drop and was sad when it was gone.

My 4yo is picky as hell. My 2yo will eat anything.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Easter dinner tonight care of Anita Street Market:

red chile
beans
calabacitas
tortillas
and other fixings
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Among other things, best french fries I’ve had in years at some place in Pittsburgh.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

A really bad burrito that is giving me GI distress.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:A really bad burrito that is giving me GI distress.
Gotta stop eating that crap California Mexican food and get some real food in Tucson.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tried the almost famous Primanti Bros. sandwiches tonight. Sean Miller and TJ McConnell can’t stop talking about them. Not bad, and a little weird, but not good. Just big, dry, flavorless bites of starch and low quality meat. I don’t get it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Amazing Detroit style pizza at a place called Michigan and Turnbull. Tomato sauce, creme fraiche, mozzarella, fennel sausage, and broccoli
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The final dinner of my current house before we move, made with odds and ends: spaghetti with meatballs.

Meatballs courtesy of Roma Imports, discovered here in my freezer.

I'm packing the kitchen as I cook.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Can't embed on mobile but holy shit, this, I want this.

https://youtu.be/BlGyHxHrQFQ" target="_blank

10 cuts of beef accompanied by a king’s spread of beef tartare, caviar-topped scallops, banchan, kimchi salads, lettuce wraps, chile-slicked cold noodles, puffy egg souffles, and cute little caramel sundaes. The price is $125 per person, or $250 for two.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Can't embed on mobile but holy shit, this, I want this.

https://youtu.be/BlGyHxHrQFQ" target="_blank

10 cuts of beef accompanied by a king’s spread of beef tartare, caviar-topped scallops, banchan, kimchi salads, lettuce wraps, chile-slicked cold noodles, puffy egg souffles, and cute little caramel sundaes. The price is $125 per person, or $250 for two.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How quickly would you lose your friends if you insisted on carrying out that whole routine around your grill with that exact tone of humble erudition using cuts of beef from Fry's?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:How quickly would you lose your friends if you insisted on carrying out that whole routine around your grill with that exact tone of humble erudition using cuts of beef from Fry's?
I can't explain how much I laughed at this.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I had a hot dog.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just finished a plate of fatty brisket with Mac and cheese and coleslaw at Lil Miss BBQ Sunnyslope. Buddy just bought a house half mile away. Absolutely incredible BBQ, best I've ever had by a mile.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Eating ground bison chili with sauted onions and mushrooms in unrefined organic coconut oil, garlic, whole tomatoes, hatch roasted green chiles, dark chili powder. And an avocado and raspberries. Plus bulletproof coffee with ghee and coconut cream. Since I'm on a ketogenic diet I won't eat beans.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Jerk pork skewers and roasted brussel sprouts with a splash of good balsamic.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My son and his girlfriend made street tacos. Mmm....
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Picked up some snow peas at Fry's the other day that are fantastic. Great right out of the bag.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Had a combination dinner last night with chicken mole and chile verde. Not sure it gets better than that.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I hate all of you guys. If I’m not eating out, it’s a ham sandwich or a shitty salad, or if I’m feeling ambitious a bowl of pasta with canned Stagg chili thrown on top.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Learning to cook decent food with a variety of techniques and a well stocked pantry has given me one of the most fulfilling things in my life tbh.
cpt

Post by cpt »

I smoked a 20 pound pork shoulder over the weekend (22 hours!) over hickory and apple wood. Had a bunch of people over but still have about half of that left. It is legit.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The problem with dinner is that in order to stem the tendency for body mass relentlessly to rise with age it (dinner) really needs to be that of a pauper and consumed at home. It's a meager concept, but true. Anymore, lunch is where a king's fantasy goes for succor and where satiety is home. Kale, my penance due, come hither as the sun is down.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

scumdevils86 wrote:Learning to cook decent food with a variety of techniques and a well stocked pantry has given me one of the most fulfilling things in my life tbh.
There is no joy in cooking only for yourself. At least for me.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Learning to cook decent food with a variety of techniques and a well stocked pantry has given me one of the most fulfilling things in my life tbh.
That is a fair point for sure. I rarely cook for more than just my wife and I but I agree totally.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

TucsonClip wrote:Had a combination dinner last night with chicken mole and chile verde. Not sure it gets better than that.
Can't believe I forgot this, but I had a cheese crisp in freaking San Diego. I've been hunting for years out here and haven't had much luck until last night.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Had a combination dinner last night with chicken mole and chile verde. Not sure it gets better than that.
Can't believe I forgot this, but I had a cheese crisp in freaking San Diego. I've been hunting for years out here and haven't had much luck until last night.
In Tucson, I've been finding more quesadillas and fewer cheese crisps.

Why can't "authenticity" mean being yourself and doing what you do well? Why does it have to mean doing what others do, but doing it poorly because you don't know how?

Tucson needs to internalize how badly other people wish they could eat Sonoran food.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
If I were in your position, I like to think I'd embrace the bachelor identity, and not cook. You have the right car for it.

"Are you married," they'd ask.

My response would never be "no." Instead, I'd answer, "I'm a bachelor."

And I'd never cook unless I'm acting like one of the male characters in one of those made-for-women TV shows. You know, the girl is in your kitchen with you while you're cooking with that open bottle of wine, and laughing your way through it with all the making out on the countertop. I think that must happen all the time to bachelors.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lmao. Your the best LH.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I hate all of you guys. If I’m not eating out, it’s a ham sandwich or a shitty salad, or if I’m feeling ambitious a bowl of pasta with canned Stagg chili thrown on top.
The few things I've learned about cooking at home is pick a protein, veggie, and starch. Keep it simple, take your time, and season season season. The use of salt, pepper, and acids are critical for balance.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
If I were in your position, I like to think I'd embrace the bachelor identity, and not cook. You have the right car for it.

And I'd never cook unless I'm acting like one of the male characters in one of those made-for-women TV shows. You know, the girl is in your kitchen with you while you're cooking with that open bottle of wine, and laughing your way through it with all the making out on the countertop. I think that must happen all the time to bachelors.
:lol: :lol:
Ah yes, the Two and a Half Men lifestyle. Unfortunately, I think I’m living the John Wick bachelorhood, minus all the interesting violence.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

azgreg wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I hate all of you guys. If I’m not eating out, it’s a ham sandwich or a shitty salad, or if I’m feeling ambitious a bowl of pasta with canned Stagg chili thrown on top.
The few things I've learned about cooking at home is pick a protein, veggie, and starch. Keep it simple, take your time, and season season season. The use of salt, pepper, and acids are critical for balance.
Great advice! Now I just need to get my shit together and stop taking the path of least resistance. I think that’s the epitaph for my tombstone: “He took the path of least resistance, and he took it better than anybody else.”
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Great advice! Now I just need to get my shit together and stop taking the path of least resistance. I think that’s the epigraph for my tombstone: “He took the path of least resistance, and he took it better than anybody else.”
Mine will be “Murdered by Culver’s”.

Dinner tonight will be at an airport. Luckily those options have come a long way since the days of McDonalds & Go Fuck Yourself.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Great advice! Now I just need to get my shit together and stop taking the path of least resistance. I think that’s the epigraph for my tombstone: “He took the path of least resistance, and he took it better than anybody else.”
Mine will be “Murdered by Culver’s”.

Dinner tonight will be at an airport. Luckily those options have come a long way since the days of McDonalds & Go Fuck Yourself.
I too enjoy the sweet greasy embrace of death in Culver's.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:

The White House press corps has no idea what they're missing.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

For the sake of economy this includes a Venting Thread post. Since we're back in SA for business, dinner tonight was at Battalion: my favorite pasta Bucatini in a medium pecorino sauce with a shit ton of black pepper; prosciutto grilled green beans; puree of grilled eggplant dip with excellent bread; a bottle of Montepulciano.

Venting: It chaps my ass that restaurants hire shills to chat us up. I get it: the gig economy. Honey, dress appropriately and it won't be so obvious.

I appreciate old repurposed buildings that take on new retail contributions to downtown revitalization. In general it's a very good thing. But when the largest sound absorbing object in the entire restaurant is my goddamned napkin I get grumpy. Women in their 30s huddle like football players to communicate. Everyone else either shrieks or uses sign language. I yearn for a 50s era Sinatra steakhouse sotto voce setting replete with today's food. Is that too much to ask?

~ Wilhoit's Law