TOS Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: TOS Discussion

Post by NYCat »

When did I become well respected? I'm a c- poster at best

Why was I mentioned above more well known posters
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

MAO sounds a little bit more conciliatory. Will he keep his promise? Has he broken his promise before?

He still needs to upgrade the forum. This version of vBulletin is not supported. He's promised to give more admin rights to others in the past and reneged. I don't see him changing now. And still he hasn't identified himself yet.

No, I'm not going back.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

still don't get it. seems like gladiatorcat/richardcranium/tucsonpaint are still full in on staying at TOS from what i can see. but i also see that outside of that one thread..there has been no posts in the last 24 hours besides a couple from mrbug and devilswin.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Catintheheat wrote:MAO sounds a little bit more conciliatory. Will he keep his promise? Has he broken his promise before?

He still needs to upgrade the forum. This version of vBulletin is not supported. He's promised to give more admin rights to others in the past and reneged. I don't see him changing now. And still he hasn't identified himself yet.

No, I'm not going back.
my thought is...who cares what MAO rights now...it's over. he's won/lost (depending how you see it) and the board is dead. i still think that he'll promise the moon and deliver 10% of it and a good small minority (like 10-20%) of the people that came here will go back, but unless something crazy happens, this site is now the new home for the majority of us from there for a long time to come.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:

1. Still doesn't get it
2. Double-TRIPLE downing on Free Boarders not being legitimate customers
3. Failed to make his list.
4. He's hurting...rivals and ad content is going to suffer. He won't admit, but thats whats behind this.
5. Again still will not admit that free boards, when thriving, have a monetary value.
6. Letter reads like lame letters/texts/emails/post-mortum, you get from chicks when you dump them. Kinda pathetic and fun to laugh at.
7. Still doesn't identify who he is. I won't be apart of a recruiting nightmare.

All MAO wants is for you to love him.

Love me. Love ME, LOVE ME!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Great and Powerful MAO has spoken . . . again.

Where was all this communication over the week the boards were FUBAR and everyone thought there was a real possibility they would stay that way forever? Where was that communication over the past few years when users were asking for changes?

The Admin have only ever told us "your opinion only really counts if you're a premium member, and even then it doesn't count enough to make significant changes" and then one day they wake up and their site is a ghost town and all of a sudden it's, "hey guys, let's chat!"?

I want to respond to that post to say that the upgrade wasn't the reason we left, but the impetus and opportunity to make something for ourselves. But fuck it. For all the times MAO didn't think we were worthy of an explanation, the tables have now turned.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

RichardCranium wrote:The 'splinter group' was itching to try their hand at running their own site, and this gave them an excuse to galvanize enough people to pull it off. Fine, good luck to them, we'll see what happens; I intend to give it a good chance. But my background and my sense of fair play cannot let the good intentions, no matter how badly executed, of the ownership be unfairly slammed.
Yeah, splinter group...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

can you call 90% of a community a splinter group? seems to me the 5-10 stragglers left at TOS are the remaining loyalist bodyguards for a king in his keep that is in the midst of being sacked.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASUHATER! wrote:can you call 90% of a community a splinter group? seems to me the 5-10 stragglers left at TOS are the remaining loyalist bodyguards for a king in his keep that is in the midst of being sacked.
Yeah, I don't get RC. The only people saying be patient the site will get better were you and your bro. After day after day after day of no communication, even you gave up. Nothing from MAO or Matt or Tracey.

And then the half-hearted apologies show up (with the continued slamming of the freeloaders) when the people who set up this site called their bluff.

This is so far beyond an upgrade gone bad, but that seems to be all he sees.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I like having shaggy bevy as the model to emulate
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:can you call 90% of a community a splinter group? seems to me the 5-10 stragglers left at TOS are the remaining loyalist bodyguards for a king in his keep that is in the midst of being sacked.
Yeah, I don't get RC. The only people saying be patient the site will get better were you and your bro. After day after day after day of no communication, even you gave up. Nothing from MAO or Matt or Tracey.

And then the half-hearted apologies show up (with the continued slamming of the freeloaders) when the people who set up this site called their bluff.

This is so far beyond an upgrade gone bad, but that seems to be all he sees.
it really helped to find out info on the other behind the scenes dealings and pms. i was ok with a short period, but after a major overhaul like that and then no communication about promised fixes and more upgrades for days and days along with the consistent condescension really awakened my eyes rather quickly (in a matter of a day or so)

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

10 years, 9 as a mod, and one of the most active in trying to relieve admin of their obligation of responsibility to the site. I've been both a subscriber to premium, and a valued contributor that admin comped me premium access to help drum up support in premium.

Yet I get no mention?

25,000 posts. Had several of them pilfered by ESPN and other sites.

Yet I get no mention?

Cool. Love ya, too, bro...
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

EVCat wrote:I just read that rant in sections. My add/ alzheimers prevents me from digesting the whole text in one reading. There is a nugget of valid point in his entire otherwise certifiable rant, which is people on Internet message boards often engage in holier-than-thou ism. The deconstruction and reconstruction of individual phrases and even words in a single post are not uncommon. I offered up a nugget of info I had heard from the closest damn thing to the only source that mattered on Nick deciding to go pro and got called a child, a sock, etc. But that's just part of the deal on message boards, and our more laid back Arizona boards are considerably friendlier than the boards of fan bases east and southward. I wish people were less snark and full of their online persona than is common on most message boards, but the level of attack on goazcats was about a 3 on the obligatory scale of 11.

If my peanut gallery advice means anything to the good people who hope to grow this board, I would just offer one item: be careful not to become a class system/clique that pats itself on the back too much for this rather impressive move. I have just caught it in bits and pieces...a "no one important isn't here" comment or similar sentiments. You guys actually did it and showed the community is bigger than the URL (that is a great takeaway from all of this) and made a new home on the strength of the collective. Each new member feeling their way around has the potential to be the 2017 salim'sheadband (my personal favorite poster) .

I don't mean any undue criticism with my post. I am really floored at just how strong this whole thing has been. Just one thought from an interested participant/observer
Thanks boss :)
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Olsondogg wrote:I'm depressed. I realized that after reading that, I'm never gonna get those 2 minutes back...
Well I am really hurting because after five years and over 10000 posts I didn't even make Percyndler's list

:shock:
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

So why don't we have a new "Women are Certifiable" or "Over 30s chicks" thread started over here yet???
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Two of my favorite non sports' threads on the TOS were "Kidney Stones" (urine therapy, blowing smoke)

and "A Good Reason not to have Pitino" (15 seconds, Italian tablecloths, women's hats, cougars, bears and other animals)

thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I'm pretty much following this group of posters wherever they go. I probably won't contribute much until my kids get older but I enjoy what this collective brings to a UA and college basketball discussion. I hope 97 and Winger become regulars here as well. Really enjoy their contributions, as well as those from those already here.

EV, calm and on point as always. I've done one of these exodus migrations before, and the reason that new board is dying after a few years is a failure to expand. Retention of quality members is important in the beginning but that group went private, only accepted new players by invitation, became a clique and ultimately began speaking in one voice. Diversity, debate and plain old keeping things fresh by encouraging new members to join seems important to longevity. I even think it's best to tolerate the crazies, because they do add something to a forum, even if it's just mind-blowing humor. Either way, I'm just glad this was put together and hope it continues to be a community worth following for years to come.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

1. 4life's newly-edited manifesto is hilarious. That dude has a shit load of issues with the world and for some reason he projects those feelings onto people here.

2. You can probably tell who is stubborn in real life based on the people clinging to the past at TOS.

3. I'm here for the long haul, I have no intention of ever going back to goazcats.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Kind of creepy that my Private Messages got turned off. Makes you wonder if somebody's reading them.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:Kind of creepy that my Private Messages got turned off. Makes you wonder if somebody's reading them.
I like that the free-boards contain people that aren't "customers" and that our opinions essentially don't make a difference...yet users can get banned for sending a link to another free site, aka competitors (which is funny, cause we aren't customers). Additionally, I find it funny that the Admin couldn't be bothered to answer any questions, nor add any new members over the course of the last few years...but now the admin is suddenly so active and responsive.

The admin there has also posted several times about users of the free boards that have premium accounts somewhere else...is there a plan to ban or limit those traitors too?

The whole thing is a joke.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

my pm's were turned off as well.

I enabled them again...

MAO taking a page from the communist motherland.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Just posted this on GOAZCATS to Voltron and figured I'd share here.

Voltron:
Lets cut to the chase and address the elephant in the room..

The massively bungled upgrade was an excuse to leave ... The real reason everyone left was the admin came on here time and time again and decided to piss on everyone.. and unfortunately people don't like to be pissed on.. especially well off college graduates who have lots of money and ego.. So they made their own board. A lot of those that left are some of the more opinionated posters..

This board has been pretty crap since they left.. but I'm not ready to jump to that board either...

I guess we got until college football season to figure it out.

Azcat34:

I had no intention to leave until that craptastic week where the admin thought people had nowhere else to go.

Mystery admin has only been conciliatory until after everyone started to flee.

I even tweeted the Goazcats writers and the main Twitter account and told them there was about to be a massive exodus unless they said something about the bungled upgrade and I got crickets. The excuse about not being able to post is a bull**** one in 2014 with Twitter, Facebook etc.

GOAZCats could have put out a statement on Twitter and it would have been re-posted almost instantly all over the boards.

They called people's bluff thinking there was enough good will and lack of options that no one would possibly leave.

They couldn't have been more wrong and now they are paying a severe price with the lack of traffic and Alexa ranking.

I obviously don't have premium subscriber data, but I can't imagine this whole episode benefited their bottom line.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:Kind of creepy that my Private Messages got turned off. Makes you wonder if somebody's reading them.
I sent a long PM to RichardCranium trying to disabuse him of the notion that it was the board upgrade that was the reason for so many of us to leave and not just the opportunity. Let's see if my PMs get turned off as well.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think those mentioned in the "respected"post were it had been long time premium posters. Just a guess. I can accept his apology but its this community that I want to follow. When Gershon left I spent a day on there free boards and I couldn't take it anymore. The added value of goazcats is not the premium content, its the fretboard members and community. Unfortunately they missed that.

BTW, what does MAO stand for (or whatever that acronym was). Did Bison make it over, he pm'ed me and I gave him the site
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:I think those mentioned in the "respected"post were it had been long time premium posters. Just a guess. I can accept his apology but its this community that I want to follow. When Gershon left I spent a day on there free boards and I couldn't take it anymore. The added value of goazcats is not the premium content, its the fretboard members and community. Unfortunately they missed that.

BTW, what does MAO stand for (or whatever that acronym was). Did Bison make it over, he pm'ed me and I gave him the site
MAO = Mystery Admin Overlord
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

What a fascinating - dare I say - soap-opera-esque development these last few weeks have been. I'm curious on a question or two:

* The last couple years at TOS especially were highly read by "guests" who were (due to Admins lack of care for the freeboards) unable to sign in. Have those numbers dropped as drastically as the members numbers have? I won't click over there so I'm not sure.

* I understand that the monetization/paypal aspect of this new site is down the road - but can we maybe come up with a guess on what kind of numbers we may be talking about? I'm not in the least bit concerned about funding coming from this group, just a complete novice to these things & curious.

* Am I the only one who keeps reading the 4life post (over & over with each new edit) & is thinking it's a huge level? I can think of a few of my especially demented friends who may start something like that, then when they knew it was getting attention with each revision, would keep heaping on the crazy & sitting back & laughing the whole time at their brilliance. Just a thought from a looney.

Lastly, LOVE all the posts in this thread about interest & care in building of the new site/community. I think up & running at full speed/functionality by football season is an attainable goal - even if it isn't quite achieved. Please keep us updated on how us minions can help.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:* The last couple years at TOS especially were highly read by "guests" who were (due to Admins lack of care for the freeboards) unable to sign in. Have those numbers dropped as drastically as the members numbers have? I won't click over there so I'm not sure.
I'm not sure either, but I would suspect that anyone who has waited for months in the Moderation Queue in the hopes of having their posting privileges approved is a spammer and any true fan probably decided to join Scout or PGU.
Bear Down Vegas wrote:* I understand that the monetization/paypal aspect of this new site is down the road - but can we maybe come up with a guess on what kind of numbers we may be talking about? I'm not in the least bit concerned about funding coming from this group, just a complete novice to these things & curious.
I believe it was 3dmk who spit-balled some numbers in a different thread and they were in the $2500-$5000 range yearly in order to run the site.

Edit: here's his post -
3dmk wrote:Still working out overall ideas but pulling up some ballpark numbers from AWS and dropping them into Excel:

Lowest cost per month without having to support burst capabilities: 180/m or 2160/y
Highest cost per month with burst capabilities running 100% of the year: 350/m or 4200/y

Both include redundancies in both web server and database to account for possible outages. It also includes bandwidth usage and other auxiliary services provided by AWS to allow for rapid increase and decrease in capacity (Route 53 for DNS and the like).

Keep in mind, this was done hastily on the back of a napkin with basic usage of excel for calculations. Depending on the feature set it could include the introduction of an additional instance or two, but overall its generally pretty simple. To put it in perspective, I spend about 100/m myself for my own personal AWS playground for testing out new technology. It is a bit more expensive than running dedicated servers but the ability to increase and decrease capacity on demand is a beautiful thing, and having instances located in data centers with multiple bandwidth providers that are generally ungodly fast makes up for it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I am on TWO lists! Oh, joy!

(Haven't been a Premium member in five years, BTW.)

I'm going to go back now to getting paid for hating Tucson and being a poseur. Anybody who still is over at TOS, that's their problem.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

When football season starts and there's still no traffic are they gonna start saying "Just wait for Basketball season, then they will all really be back"
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

catgrad97 wrote:I am on TWO lists! Oh, joy!

I'm going to go back now to getting paid for hating Tucson and being a poseur. Anybody who still is over at TOS, that's their problem.
What is this job and how can Machina apply?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Edit: here's his post -
3dmk wrote:Still working out overall ideas but pulling up some ballpark numbers from AWS and dropping them into Excel:

Lowest cost per month without having to support burst capabilities: 180/m or 2160/y
Highest cost per month with burst capabilities running 100% of the year: 350/m or 4200/y
If I pay that $4200 a year myself, can I come in here with terrorizing messages about all the free-loaders, and how I'll shut this whole thing down if you don't start wearing the official site uniform?

Send photographic documentation to:

Longhorned
411 E. Big Bus Ave.
Any Cow, IL 61822
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Again, even if this board costs $4000+ a year to run...that's completely covered by 80 members each donating $5/month to a paypal account or whatever for this site (with hopeful transparency of where every penny is being spent).
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My aim is to have transparency. I don't think you can ask for money without it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

JMarkJohns wrote:My aim is to have transparency. I don't think you can ask for money without it.
I agree.

And I don't know jack shit about the message board industry, but $4000 / year sounds a bit steep for what we want it to do... doesn't it?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I might also be interested in spearheading a member-funded site donation to the University of Arizona. I wouldn't mind the site being identified with something like that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:My aim is to have transparency. I don't think you can ask for money without it.
Does this mean we have to expose ourselves for money? I'm not sure I'm comfortable stripping for the cause.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Does this mean we have to expose ourselves for money? I'm not sure I'm comfortable stripping for the cause.
I'm guessing some sort of financial statement. I doubt who donated will have to be disclosed. Revenues, expenses, and leftover assets would be the most important. We may not need to donate anything over time I we have enough sponsors or ad revenue.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Alieberman wrote:
I agree.

And I don't know jack shit about the message board industry, but $4000 / year sounds a bit steep for what we want it to do... doesn't it?
That's the high end. It's for specialized hosting that can handle heavy traffic, still offer speed in use, and, while more than I expected, which I still think will be closer to $2500/3000 (we won't always be peaked in traffic), once we gain traffic, a few banner or footer ads will absorb that cost.

Gotta have a quality platform for friendly user experience, and gotta have hosting so it runs smoothly.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:I am on TWO lists! Oh, joy!

I'm listless. He had Percy on me.
Right where I want to be.
Bear Down Vegas

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Spaceman Spiff's screen name & avatar reminds me of that really whacky poster on TOS who would pop up every few years. I'm a little embarrassed I can't remember the name...help?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Spaceman Spiff's screen name & avatar reminds me of that really whacky poster on TOS who would pop up every few years. I'm a little embarrassed I can't remember the name...help?
Les Grossman?
Bear Down Vegas

LOVED Les Grossman...classic sock. Also loved Jerryd's Kids or whoever that was.

No, I think it was Spaceman Bryce, which I just realized the new name must be a nod to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:LOVED Les Grossman...classic sock. Also loved Jerryd's Kids or whoever that was.

No, I think it was Spaceman Bryce, which I just realized the new name must be a nod to.
No, it's a nod the the best cartoon strip of all time. I had no idea there was another Spaceman at goazcats.
I'm just a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Hasn't been a post on The Proud Tradition in 2 days. Literally every single poster has been driven away.

Quite an impressive feat for Mystery Admin.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

JMJ preaching to TOS.

Love it.

Won't post there though. Love what is happening over here.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:JMJ preaching to TOS.

Love it.

Won't post there though. Love what is happening over here.
Even if he accepts all of our demands, MAO got exposed as a conflict of interest when it comes to supporting Arizona Athletics. Ownership would remain a problem. It turns out that he wasn't in a position to speak from a strong position.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Really surprised with RC. If he wants to stay so be it.

Has anyone invited zonasoccer?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Zero wrote:Has anyone invited zonasoccer?
I did.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I did too...
Jerryd's Kids

Post by Jerryd's Kids »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:LOVED Les Grossman...classic sock. Also loved Jerryd's Kids or whoever that was.

I know Jerryd's Kids;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.
But trust me.... You don't.
I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.
This is how bad info gets passed around.
If you dont know about the topic....Dont make yourself sound like you do.
Cos some people believe anything they hear.