Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Venting Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

So...I'm 34 and a week ago randomly came down with bursitis in my elbow that became infected. Was more painful than when I broke my leg 20 years ago. Took a round of antibiotics and the worst of the swelling and pain is gone but now I'm concerned that this discomfort and soreness is something that's just part of my world now. Wtf is this shit.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I caved. I'm back on The Hill Disqus comment board tormenting the morons. It. Feels. So. Good. I'm a slut. I admit it unabashedly. It's like dry skin in the place on your back you can't reach. Don't stop. Don't stop. Please, don't stop.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

How hard is it to remember to turn off the faucet!? If you plug the sink and turn on the water, it will fill in like a minute. Why the hell would you walk away from the sink?

My mother-in-law did exactly this and then got in the shower with the sink running. Needless to say it flooded our 2nd floor bathroom, parts of the adjoining rooms on the 2nd floor, then came down between the walls to the 1st floor where we had water coming up under our floors downstairs, partly under our wood floors which might need to be completely replaced! Servpro came and setup stuff to dry everything our, drilled holes in the walls under the baseboards and now we have to run loud ass fans for 5 days straight in a time where we can't leave the house! Now will likely have to pay more for home insurance after the claim and hope no mold grows in our house. WTF! WTF! WTF!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn DW, that is wild. I thought for sure after reading the first paragraph that it was a kid who did it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I am officially at my breaking point with everyone and everything.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:I am officially at my breaking point with everyone and everything.
Right behind ya
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Right behind ya
The thing is we have about another month to go before we know how many more months we have to go.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Right behind ya
The thing is we have about another month to go before we know how many more months we have to go.
Thankfully in a month my kids will be done with school.

If I let them live that long...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This is where social distancing really sucks. Really hard to convey active kindness and empathy through an online forum. :(

I've never smoked pot in my life, my friend, but if it would help you feel better, I'd enjoy a bowl with you right now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea it's bad enough for me and I have it fairly easy by comparison. No kids, money in the bank, wife and I both have steady, good jobs. Yet I feel overwhelmed by being stuck at home, even though I didn't even do much. We'd see our friends once or twice a month for a BBQ or something, maybe go out to dinner a couple times a month. Go hiking on the weekend. Nothing crazy. Yet I feel like I'm on the edge of losing it. I feel awful for anyone who has actually been personally harmed by this disease, whether physically or financially.

This is going to be a very different country.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:
This is where social distancing really sucks. Really hard to convey active kindness and empathy through an online forum. :(

I've never smoked pot in my life, my friend, but if it would help you feel better, I'd enjoy a bowl with you right now.
I appreciate that. Going to a dispensary today I think.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

:) Good on ya. Hope you're a regular...heard the paperwork can really be a hassle for new customers, at least in my state.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

Fortunately my local dispensary delivers!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

:) Good on ya. Hope you're a regular...heard the paperwork can really be a hassle for new customers, at least in my state.
Real easy in Illinois thankfully. But yes, been there a few times so I’m in their system.
Merkin wrote:Fortunately my local dispensary delivers!
To Indiana?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I had to replace an ignition coil on my car this morning. It couldn't be one of the three easy ones in front noooooooooooo. It had to be one of the three in the back.

Which means I had to pull the upper intake plenum to gain access. What a pain in the ass.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I applaud you Greg, auto mechanics are life skills that I wish I had.

Today vent...

Shelter in place wife wants to paint the Master bedroom! Who knew there were so many god damn versions of while paint!

Went ended up with “whispering” white which apparently is a subtle classic milky while with cooling tones. :lol:
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Greg, without knowing which vehicle you own, or shop rates in your area, I estimate you saved somewhere in the vicinity of $200 - $250. Nothing wrong with that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I miss the days when vehicles actually had room in the engine compartment to work on them.

Although tune ups are a lot easier now without carburetors, points and condenser. Setting the dwell was no fun except for that Pontiac Firebird I had where you could set the dwell with an allen wrench with the engine running.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrMeow wrote:Greg, without knowing which vehicle you own, or shop rates in your area, I estimate you saved somewhere in the vicinity of $200 - $250. Nothing wrong with that.
I saved a lot more than that. Labor rates here in Phoenix are in the $100 range these days and a shop would have charged me at $350 in parts.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I decided about 20 years ago that I will save money in a lot of other areas but not car maintenance. I'm supporting mechanic's careers by paying them to take care of my car and all those random words you said.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:I decided about 20 years ago that I will save money in a lot of other areas but not car maintenance. I'm supporting mechanic's careers by paying them to take care of my car and all those random words you said.
I spent 22 years in the auto repair business. I've got it covered.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I just think it would be cool to build or work on a car that i loved.

Upmost respect for a good mechanic and people who know how to do this stuff like Greg. Engineering and an art!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just saw this. Greg, talk to BJBJ. He'll follow every word of this even though he claims he can't cook an egg.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Working on cars is easy. It's just a matter of unbolting parts and bolting new parts back on.......in the right order. The real skill is in driveability diagnostics. Those guys earn their money.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Working on cars is easy. It's just a matter of unbolting parts and bolting new parts back on.......in the right order. The real skill is in driveability diagnostics. Those guys earn their money.
Working on cars is not easy.

And every time I try to work on something on my house, I break it, along with additional collateral damage.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:Working on cars is easy. It's just a matter of unbolting parts and bolting new parts back on.......in the right order. The real skill is in driveability diagnostics. Those guys earn their money.

And every time I try to work on something on my house, I break it, along with additional collateral damage.
Tools are your friend. Don't be afraid of them.

Did I ever share pics of the bathroom vanities I built?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Tools are your friend. Don't be afraid of them.

Did I ever share pics of the bathroom vanities I built?
That sharp-tooth drill tool that makes holes for doorknobs isn't my friend.

Show us the bathroom vanities. I have to replace some drawers in the master bedroom bath, which suffered water damage when the metal P-trap corroded. What kind of idiot installs a metal P-trap?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Show us the bathroom vanities. I have to replace some drawers in the master bedroom bath, which suffered water damage when the metal P-trap corroded. What kind of idiot installs a metal P-trap?
My wife wanted farmhouse style vanities and we couldn't find any here in town so I decided to try and build them. I think they turned out OK.

This is the one in my boys room.

I can't locate a pic of the master vanity. It's similar to the boys vanity. So, here's a gif of a pretty girl in a doorway.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Show us the bathroom vanities. I have to replace some drawers in the master bedroom bath, which suffered water damage when the metal P-trap corroded. What kind of idiot installs a metal P-trap?
So, here's a gif of a pretty girl in a doorway.

That’s a hell of a metal trap!

Nice vanity, Greg!

Can you work on Lotuses? The Lotus certified service techs bill out at $225/hr. :shock:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:That’s a hell of a metal trap!

Nice vanity, Greg!

Can you work on Lotuses? The Lotus certified service techs bill out at $225/hr. :shock:
The shop I ran at Cave Creek and Bell did work for McGary's Jaguar. Can't be much difference between them and a Lotus. Parts fro a Lotus must be a pain. Not sure BAP has many in stock.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s sweet Greg.

How did your tear drop trailer turn out?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:That’s sweet Greg.

How did your tear drop trailer turn out?
That was put on hold due to the remodel.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azgreg wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Greg, without knowing which vehicle you own, or shop rates in your area, I estimate you saved somewhere in the vicinity of $200 - $250. Nothing wrong with that.
I saved a lot more than that. Labor rates here in Phoenix are in the $100 range these days and a shop would have charged me at $350 in parts.
Without knowing the vehicle, it's hard to look up the labor in ProDemand, so I just figured about 2.5 hours. You got the parts for free? Not bad.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrMeow wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Without knowing the vehicle, it's hard to look up the labor in ProDemand, so I just figured about 2.5 hours. You got the parts for free? Not bad.
2006 Escape. Parts ran me about $125.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Very impressive.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Very impressive.
What is?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

azgreg wrote:
What is?
The metal P-trap
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I can change my battery by myself.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
What is?
The bathroom vanity. Not the 2006 Ford, which is downright Longhornedesque except for the part where I pay someone $1650 for that job.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
1. Awesome!

2. I love Canada.

3. Much like ww2 was when the us asserted itself on the world stage..., this is the moment when it became apparent to all that Canada is the first world country that the us is not.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Getting an X-ray at urgent care.

So reassuring to know that the staff is marginally following the protocols that I wrote.

And then was snippy with me when asked if I was in the non-respiratory vs respiratory urgent care which again I designed and implemented to keep the sick from the non sick
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:
My wife wanted farmhouse style vanities and we couldn't find any here in town so I decided to try and build them. I think they turned out OK.

This is the one in my boys room.

I can't locate a pic of the master vanity. It's similar to the boys vanity. So, here's a gif of a pretty girl in a doorway.

Remodeled our kitchen in 2015, our main bathroom last year, and now the wife wants the master bath done.

Met with our contractor yesterday, and in the meantime wife ordered a vanity on Wayfair. It was delivered....err dropped off the fucking truck...by FedEx, and is useless. Wayfair is trying again, sending us another one.

I cannot stand remodeling projects. We bought a historic home a decade ago and now she's slowly deciding that everything needs to change. We will also need a new roof soon...

Yeah, good times.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Anyway to bow out of all these renovations? It's one thing to spend $2000 repairing a bathtub, but it's another to be in constant renovation mode. I work on the periphery of the skilled-contracting world, have seen for myself how the tricks work, and have learned, more than anything, how happy I am to be a long-term renter.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I just started a grunge channel on Pandora and they played Wicked by Chris Isaak because when I think grunge I think Chris Isaak.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Anyway to bow out of all these renovations? It's one thing to spend $2000 repairing a bathtub, but it's another to be in constant renovation mode. I work on the periphery of the skilled-contracting world, have seen for myself how the tricks work, and have learned, more than anything, how happy I am to be a long-term renter.
I married a woman in constant renovation mode, and am a homeowner. So I'm fucked.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:Anyway to bow out of all these renovations? It's one thing to spend $2000 repairing a bathtub, but it's another to be in constant renovation mode. I work on the periphery of the skilled-contracting world, have seen for myself how the tricks work, and have learned, more than anything, how happy I am to be a long-term renter.
I married a woman in constant renovation mode, and am a homeowner. So I'm fucked.
My wife and social isolation is not good for my honey do list.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg wrote:I just started a grunge channel on Pandora and they played Wicked by Chris Isaak because when I think grunge I think Chris Isaak.
Now they played Hotel California from the Eagles. Pandora needs a little work on heir algorithm.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:
azgreg wrote:I just started a grunge channel on Pandora and they played Wicked by Chris Isaak because when I think grunge I think Chris Isaak.
Now they played Hotel California from the Eagles. Pandora needs a little work on heir algorithm.
Don't you have to manually shitcan certain songs in order to teach the algo?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Don't you have to manually shitcan certain songs in order to teach the algo?
I don't know but no matter what you do, it leads to Neil Diamond. Even Tom Waits somehow trips into a tangential groove that takes you to Bob Seger, which then leads you straight to Neil fucking Diamond. Next thing you know it's "Everywheh around da woyld, they coming to Amehrica!"
Last edited by Longhorned on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.