The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Longhorned »

Impressive.

I'm pretty sure my battery cleaner brush makes different notes depending on the bristle I strum. I'm going to start with that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’ve taken up the baritone ukulele. Got it yesterday and I already know two songs.

I feel like a master of the universe.
Hotel California and Shake It Off?
Creep (Radiohead) and Real Love Baby (Father John Misty)

Next up is Such Great Heights (The Postal Service).

The wife has a tenor ukulele. By the time this quarantine is over we’ll be ready to hit the music festival circuit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’ve taken up the baritone ukulele. Got it yesterday and I already know two songs.

I feel like a master of the universe.
Hotel California and Shake It Off?
Creep (Radiohead) and Real Love Baby (Father John Misty)

Next up is Such Great Heights (The Postal Service).

The wife has a tenor ukulele. By the time this quarantine is over we’ll be ready to hit the music festival circuit.
This post, of course, will require a follow-up youtube video offering! :lol:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Was gonna say, do you have a YouTube channel?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

One day Chi you can play with these guys.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What would you do for a cartload of cherries?*

* To look literary, identify the reference.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Was gonna say, do you have a YouTube channel?
I do. Maybe one day we’ll get good enough to actually post some vids of us playing.

4 days in and I know 3 songs. So I’m getting there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Among the many entertainingly awful consistencies of 2000s crime dramas is that whenever the cops storm a drug den or midnight bar all the fugitive dealers, pimps, meth cooks, and tattooed biker outlaws are defiantly blasting really shitty Nu Metal. Remember for about a four year period (1997 - 2001?) where Nu Metal was EVERYWHERE? To the point that certain lead singers were A List pop-culture stars? One of the weirder times for music.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hey man Korn actually gets better with age. I didn't like them back then but now they are kinda nice to listen to. The rest of the nu metal I never listen to really, I'm more of a djent/death metal/prog metal kinda guy.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Hey man Korn actually gets better with age. I didn't like them back then but now they are kinda nice to listen to. The rest of the nu metal I never listen to really, I'm more of a djent/death metal/prog metal kinda guy.
I disagree about Korn. While they were never my favorite, I did enjoy their music back in the day. The new stuff just isn't worth listening to IMO. Although, I don't really really listen to Korn at all anymore so that could be part of it. I'm more of a metalcore/deathcore fan myself.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

On the couch just now I invented a new religion called Fat Buddhism, which is for Californians who eat in Chinese restaurants and confuse the statues of the fat guy with the purse for Buddha. We believe in enjoying ourselves and being unfamiliar with the south. We always hate landlords. Anybody want to be a priest?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:On the couch just now I invented a new religion called Fat Buddhism, which is for Californians who eat in Chinese restaurants and confuse the statues of the fat guy with the purse for Buddha. We believe in enjoying ourselves and being unfamiliar with the south. We always hate landlords. Anybody want to be a priest?
Is this just an offshoot of Lebowskiism, or is it a legit different thing?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ASUHATER! wrote:Hey man Korn actually gets better with age. I didn't like them back then but now they are kinda nice to listen to. The rest of the nu metal I never listen to really, I'm more of a djent/death metal/prog metal kinda guy.
Korn is the patron saint of Nu-Metal. Because they were years ahead of their time and they transcended the genre, they get a pass, even as negatively as Nu-Metal is viewed today. But if you're racing past Dairy Queen in your Plymouth Laser, blasting anything else like Papa Roach, that's probably a different story.

Since we're on the subject of music, who "grew up" with MTV? I was thinking about this the other day, how I NEVER hear anything about MTV anymore. From about 7th grade to 9th grade MTV was my go-to channel ('99-'01). There was just nothing else on TV like TRL, Real World, and Jackass. I specifically remember watching the Hawaii and New Orleans seasons of Real World, acting out Jackass stunts in Kroger parking lots with my buddies, and, until I grew into a better scene around 16, synchronizing my taste in music with their music video countdowns. I'm glad I moved on as early as I did, with the only MTV show I've paid attention to since then is the Osbournes and maybe another season of Real World.

Since then, I don't understand why MTV nixed TRL - a show, IMO, which defined teenage culture more than anything else at the time. Everybody knows they don't play music videos, which at first was OK as a business decision as long as the replacement properties like Real World were hits. This strategy was mostly successful until the end of the 2000s with shows like Hills and Jersey Shore, which I didn't watch, but still heard plenty about them as popular cultural brands. But this past decade seems a lost decade for MTV, and I don't even know what to expect if I turned on MTV.

A lot of why MTV seems past its shelf-life might be because everybody else in entertainment has run with MTVs initial ideas. Every other Cable channel has their variant on Real World, specifically Bravo Channel, TLC, & E Network. Perusing YouTube for backyard stunts and comedy has replaced what Jackass once only offered. Vice TV created a news empire based off True Life. Not to mention, if you want to watch music videos, there's no reason not to use YouTube even if MTV were still showing music countdowns.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I grew up with MTV when they actually played videos. :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Tomorrow is May 1st and I remembered the May Day Mystery in the Daily Wildcat. I haven't thought about it in many years but remember reading about it on the old board many years ago. For a while I really followed it closely.
Such a bizarre thing that is still going after so many years.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

OriginalAZ wrote:Tomorrow is May 1st and I remembered the May Day Mystery in the Daily Wildcat. I haven't thought about it in many years but remember reading about it on the old board many years ago. For a while I really followed it closely.
Such a bizarre thing that is still going after so many years.
completely forgot about this.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:I grew up with MTV when they actually played videos. :lol:
And Bloom County was just a strip in college newspapers.

MTV was 100% videos except for small news segment put on by Kurt (?).

Every single straight guy I knew had a huge crush on Martha Quinn, whether she was coked up or not.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote:
The Gen X crowd, who were MTVs original viewers in the 1980s, have turned it into a mantra to (ironically?) criticize MTV's pivot away from the Music Video. It was actually a smart business by VIACOM to get into original programming, because by the time they bought MTV in 1985 the novelty of all-music video station was wearing off.

And the decision paid off as long as the programming resonated, which for about a 15 - 20 year period encompassing the 90s and ending sometime around 2010, MTV programming drove teen culture.

Now look at their programming schedule - only cycling through about 4 different shows:
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I kinda wonder if Elon just blew his company up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SCCats wrote:I kinda wonder if Elon just blew his company up.
He's having a bit of a tantrum.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote:
SCCats wrote:I kinda wonder if Elon just blew his company up.
He's having a bit of a tantrum.
You don’t have a company without customers. And I’m not sure how much his customers are going to be down with...all of this.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-sa ... 00044.html" target="_blank
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Haven't we've known Elon's been unglued for about two years now? Remember the summer of Elon two years ago. Namecalling on twitter, violating insider trading laws on twitter, and smoking pot on Joe Rogan's podcast?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SNL is weird tonight.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Insomnia... you’re a motherfucking bitch.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I swear by Excedrin PM
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:I swear by Excedrin PM
I'm looking into whatever killed Michael Jackson. Can I get that in a chewable?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote: I'm looking into whatever killed Michael Jackson. Can I get that in a chewable?
Before it ever comes to this ^ ^ ^ ^ you have so much left to try. Like mixing Xanax with Klonipin.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote: I'm looking into whatever killed Michael Jackson. Can I get that in a chewable?
Before it ever comes to this ^ ^ ^ ^ you have so much left to try. Like mixing Xanax with Klonipin.
Tonight I'm going to mix Bourbon and Muscle Relaxers. Let the party begin!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Take a laxative with a sleeping pill and let us know who wins in the morning.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Take a laxative with a sleeping pill and let us know who wins in the morning.
I'm betting on "no one".
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Insomnia... you’re a motherfucking bitch.
Zolpidem (generic Ambiem) is 80 cents at Rite Aid with Rx.

I take Advil PM after I wake up in the middle of the night to go pee and makes me all groggy in the morning.

But I sleep fine now thanks to modern medicine. Had a terrible insomnia problem before. At my age addiction is not really a concern.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:

I take Advil PM after I wake up in the middle of the night to go pee and makes me all groggy in the morning.

But I sleep fine now thanks to modern medicine. Had a terrible insomnia problem before. At my age addiction is not really a concern.
Docs won’t prescribe me Ambien or pain pills because my skin is slightly brown and they figure I’m an addict or going to sell them.

It’s actually a real problem in the medical community. When Brown people tell doctors about pain or sleeping issues they largely dismiss them as trying to score drugs. They’ll prescribe a White lady all the Xanax or Oxy she can carry but Brown people can’t get relief for actual ailments.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Docs won’t prescribe me Ambien or pain pills because my skin is slightly brown and they figure I’m an addict or going to sell them.

It’s actually a real problem in the medical community. When Brown people tell doctors about pain or sleeping issues they largely dismiss them as trying to score drugs. They’ll prescribe a White lady all the Xanax or Oxy she can carry but Brown people can’t get relief for actual ailments.
It's fucked up. I believe John Oliver did a segment about this.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

What's funny about this is when I think of pain killer addicts I picture skinny young white guys
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s messed up and I’m sorry your interacting with protocol non thinking docs.

I just put everyone on a controlled substance contract and prescribe appropriately. If I receive information that is in violation of the contract, it’s nullified. That simple. Normalize for everyone, no judgement.

Ironically enough, I have more difficulties with the MAGA demographic trying to score unsubstantiated controlled substances than African American or Latino populations.

I don’t mind having a fair but firm reputation in the community.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Here it is

https://youtu.be/TATSAHJKRd8" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Maybe CST can write you a script. We won't tell anyone.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Or maybe now that we are all doing telehealth, I can get a digital filter that turns me into a White guy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Or maybe now that we are all doing telehealth, I can get a digital filter that turns me into a White guy.
Too much?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m into it. Looks like he could use all the Ambien.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:I’m into it. Looks like he could use all the Ambien.
So is cultural appropriation for white guys buying all the prescription drugs you can get your hands on and not being shot and killed by the police?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’m into it. Looks like he could use all the Ambien.
So is cultural appropriation for white guys buying all the prescription drugs you can get your hands on and not being shot and killed by the police?
Also making potato salad with no seasoning.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Big mistake Chi. Don't go full Cracker. Never go full Cracker. There's not enough ketchup in the world to make it OK.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I still don't know what to make of Billie Eilish.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anne Lennox did it better
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azgreg wrote:I still don't know what to make of Billie Eilish.
four minutes ago...
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Hit bad by insomnia last night. It's a double and triple whammy of dread. Stage 1: You're constantly doing the math on how much sleep you're losing Vs the time your alarm goes off. Stage 2: Job stress circles around in my head. Stage 3: With the barriers of your mind fully down, you start combing through your past, remembering, for instance, some long last classmate you sat next to in 8th grade math, which leads to... Stage 4: Becoming unsettled by how much time has gone by. "Was 8th grade really TWENTY years ago?"
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stage 5 you turn on shit tv for background noise and then become a fan of 90day fiancé.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Stage 5 you turn on shit tv for background noise and then become a fan of 90day fiancé.
It still blows my mind that Lana is real.

*quarantine TV-watching with wife problems*