Depression and Anxiety Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Depression and Anxiety Thread

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Phylek wrote:There's too much happening, right now. Our society is devolving. It's really hitting me. Facebook is not helping because I'm coming to realize how many people are truly racist.

I'm disheartened. Which says a lot. I had trouble getting out of bed this morning.
Facebook is Russian malware. Dump it
I dumped it years ago. My kid's school insists on communicating through it, but I refuse.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote: Never really thought of it like that. The article you mention actually posits that depression is a natural and historic trait that serves a purpose of ordering our thoughts and dwelling on issues so we can analytically solve them.

I'm more inclined to your line of thinking. I used to lay down and watch clouds go by as a kid. My kids have literally never done that. And of course I haven't done that either. There is so little time in our waking lives for complete quiet even in our own minds.
Late reply but, yes the article is great. On top of agreeing that depression is meant to turn our thoughts to digging around in our mind, one addition to this that I want to very clearly make is how this plays out in our time of addictive digital stimuli, social media for example.

When we experience depression the act of checking twitter or instagram reinforces not only depression due to being confronted with unreal standards of beauty, adventure, and the sense of competition to keep up, but this act keeps our minds in a reactive, superficial state that's eroded of the quiet time needed in our brains.

Along with the longer term chemical activity, a lot of what spikes in-the-moment episodes of depression are reminders of how we failed somewhere or didn't live up to something. And in the past, these quiet times in our brain allowed us to come to terms and get used to realizing the scaled back existence of private contentment, which in the long term can continually address matters of regret and loss as they arise.

I worry that today's endless use of phones has completely roadblocked this capacity from our ability to address depression; I worry that our constantly online lives uproot our long evolved subconscious mechanisms of addressing depression.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:

I worry that today's endless use of phones has completely roadblocked this capacity from our ability to address depression; I worry that our constantly online lives uproot our long evolved subconscious mechanisms of addressing depression.
^^^^^^^^This.

During these Corona-days our walks never present a person under 45 years old simply walking without being plugged into his/her phone. It's as if simple silence and solitude has become disruptive and unhealthy.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Heading to Pinetop for a long weekend Saturday. Going to do my best to completely unplug when I'm there. Picked up a couple books to read instead of my Kindle app. The people I talk to most will be there. My life has been an endless groundhog day of bad news, working 50+ hours a week in the same room as my couch and tv, endless screen time, and crap tv for 90 days.

I am going to just spend time outside and hike a little. Talk to my wife and friends. Play cards. Grill and enjoy the cool mornings and highs. Definitely need this.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:Heading to Pinetop for a long weekend Saturday. Going to do my best to completely unplug when I'm there. Picked up a couple books to read instead of my Kindle app. The people I talk to most will be there. My life has been an endless groundhog day of bad news, working 50+ hours a week in the same room as my couch and tv, endless screen time, and crap tv for 90 days.

I am going to just spend time outside and hike a little. Talk to my wife and friends. Play cards. Grill and enjoy the cool mornings and highs. Definitely need this.
Dude just spent five glorious days at Fowler’s campground near mccloud in the mccloud River trail.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.campsi ... ers/%3famp" target="_blank

No cell reception just the wife and kids. Awesome hikes to three different waterfalls, kids got to “play ranger” ate/cooked damn good food, took my kids to Shasta and got them to the hut at the base at 8k where they could sign the register and play in snow in the middle of June.

They all loved it.

Naturally social distanced with other campers but still got to feel a part of it with other people. Just a cool trip and what we needed.

We are going somewhere else again in 3weekends. Wife wants to buy a travel trailer! Winning!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Heading to Pinetop for a long weekend Saturday. Going to do my best to completely unplug when I'm there. Picked up a couple books to read instead of my Kindle app. The people I talk to most will be there. My life has been an endless groundhog day of bad news, working 50+ hours a week in the same room as my couch and tv, endless screen time, and crap tv for 90 days.

Dude just spent five glorious days at Fowler’s campground near mccloud in the mccloud River trail.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.campsi ... ers/%3famp" target="_blank

No cell reception just the wife and kids. Awesome hikes to three different waterfalls, kids got to “play ranger” ate/cooked damn good food, took my kids to Shasta and got them to the hut at the base at 8k where they could sign the register and play in snow in the middle of June.

They all loved it.

Naturally social distanced with other campers but still got to feel a part of it with other people. Just a cool trip and what we needed.

We are going somewhere else again in 3weekends. Wife wants to buy a travel trailer! Winning!
Livin' the dream! I love the smell of propane in the morning..........
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I still break down in tears a few times a day. I get overwhelmed by sadness for a few minutes, and I breathe and I wait for a minute.

I remind myself that I am a white male American, who owns a home in a historic neighborhood, is employed with good health insurance and a wife and 2 kids who love him....

I am the American dream.

And then I cry again.

I speak to my therapist in Friday, and I am looking forward to it.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When daycare closes in Arizona as an irrational response to the irrational approach of basically encouraging the stupid to satisfy Trump, I think I'll try this double-shift schedule:

9 am - 5 pm: Daycare and homeschooling
6 pm - 2 am: Working at the job that pays me

I'm not a religious person but I may have to come around. God, give me the endurance I don't have inside me.
Last edited by Longhorned on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hey that's still nearly a full night's sleep!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:Hey that's still nearly a full night's sleep!
That's what I was thinking. We're friends with another couple with a child our age who do that schedule, and I think it's worth trying. We were splitting the day with no variation seven days a week. This way we can work full time during the week and have a sense that Friday came.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hell, that schedule gives you time to go next door and play cards on plague night.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Am I the only one here whose depression is transforming into deep anger and psychotic fucking hatred?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Longhorned wrote:Am I the only one here whose depression is transforming into deep anger and psychotic fucking hatred?
Only of Trump and his supporters.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:Am I the only one here whose depression is transforming into deep anger and psychotic fucking hatred?
The catharsis will come with the skull fucking.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

No, but I'm starting to think there is a direct correlation with the amount of time I've been spending on Twitter. That shit isn't healthy. But I can't stop.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

But on a positive note, I just got retweeted by a blue check mark. Shoot that validation straight into my veins!

Totally worth the hypertension and poor sleep.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:But on a positive note, I just got retweeted by a blue check mark. Shoot that validation straight into my veins!

Totally worth the hypertension and poor sleep.
Raffi once responded to one of my tweets, and liked another one.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No.

What do you do when you come to the realization that 2/3 of your professional activities (emails, projects, admin, mgmt) is just complete bullshit?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lol I resemble that remark. My entire job is emails, projects, administration, management, calls, stand-ups, working sessions, check ins...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:Lol I resemble that remark. My entire job is emails, projects, administration, management, calls, stand-ups, working sessions, check ins...
And honestly, when you distill it all down, isn’t the vast majority of it a giant time suck that really doesn’t move the needle on anything?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Totally. I have a project I've been working on for a year that I found out yesterday was largely pointless due to a key detail being left out from 2 of my vendors. Totally dead on arrival. Probably spent 300 hours in the last year working on it in various forms (calls meetings testing etc) now it has to be on hold for the next year or more.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:When daycare closes in Arizona as an irrational response to the irrational approach of basically encouraging the stupid to satisfy Trump, I think I'll try this double-shift schedule:

9 am - 5 pm: Daycare and homeschooling
6 pm - 2 am: Working at the job that pays me

I'm not a religious person but I may have to come around. God, give me the endurance I don't have inside me.

Did UofA make any threats like this?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Staying home since March has finally gotten the best of me. We can't handle it anymore. Decided we needed a vacation of sorts. Going to La Paloma next week. Gonna social distance in the pools.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Don't blame you
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Phylek wrote:Staying home since March has finally gotten the best of me. We can't handle it anymore. Decided we needed a vacation of sorts. Going to La Paloma next week. Gonna social distance in the pools.
If you have kids, they’ll love the water slide.

Pro Tip: The pool bar sells White Claw. I sneak it in and it doesn’t throw up any red flags. Unlike PBR.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

wyo-cat wrote:
Phylek wrote:Staying home since March has finally gotten the best of me. We can't handle it anymore. Decided we needed a vacation of sorts. Going to La Paloma next week. Gonna social distance in the pools.
If you have kids, they’ll love the water slide.

Pro Tip: The pool bar sells White Claw. I sneak it in and it doesn’t throw up any red flags. Unlike PBR.
I'm all about the water slide. I'm usually the one adult in the line. I own that thing.

I've never had white claw, but it's never too late to learn. I usually just order Margaritas.

Funny story from my last visit. I ordered a mango Margarita from the server at the pool. She told me they don't have mango Margaritas, even though I knew they did. So I asked her for a mango daiquiri made with tequila instead of rum. She came back laughing. Apparently when she's ordered it from the bartender he looked at her like she was crazy and said, "so...a mango Margarita?"
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I really don't want to rain on your parade, and I truly understand your plight, but please think about it again and listen to Mr. Jackson.

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

White Claw is the second worst thing I've ever had in my mouth.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

^^ :lol:

Yeah it’s disgusting
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote:White Claw is the second worst thing I've ever had in my mouth.
What's number 1?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote:
What's number 1?

I feel like that's going to be TMI.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bartender: Why are you drinking so much?
Man: Celebrating my first blowjob
Bartender: Congratulations! Let me buy you a drink!
Man: No that's OK, if 8 beers won't get the taste out of my mouth nothing will
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote:
What's number 1?
Not going there. Let's just say I was a young man in Europe and leave it at that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:
84Cat wrote:
What's number 1?
Not going there. Let's just say I was a young man in Europe and leave it at that.
:lol:

Azgreg rules.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
84Cat wrote:
What's number 1?
:lol:

Azgreg rules.
azgreg: unfettered and alive

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My kids tell me White Claw is for people on low carb & keto diets.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote:My kids tell me White Claw is for people on low carb & keto diets.

They never heard of hard liquor I guess.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote:My kids tell me White Claw is for people on low carb & keto diets.
I'm currently eating ice cream out of the container so I'm clearly not in that demographic.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't like sparkling water or things like LA Croix, but White Claw is good, especially at the pool.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

White claw is a good pool drink if you don't want a beer.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

White Claw is scary good and easy to drink.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'd rather drink my own urine than White Claw.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

azgreg wrote:I'd rather drink my own urine than White Claw.
Bear Grylls, is that you?

-Shane Battier
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TucsonClip wrote:
I'd wear a Rudy Carpenter jersey before I'd drink White Claw.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

azgreg wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
I'd wear a Rudy Carpenter jersey before I'd drink White Claw.

-Shane Battier
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I could mainline la croix
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:I could mainline la croix
I'm only going to drink seltzer if it has alcohol in it, otherwise it's pointless. If I am going to drink something non alcoholic I'll have a water or a soda, not a weak flavored seltzer.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I could mainline la croix
I'm only going to drink seltzer if it has alcohol in it, otherwise it's pointless. If I am going to drink something non alcoholic I'll have a water or a soda, not a weak flavored seltzer.
My family goes through cases of seltzer a week. I don't drink soda at all, either too much sugar or artificial sweeteners. Although I probably drink more ice tea, unsweetened of course.

Canada Dry Mandarin Orange is my family's favorite. Perrier seltzer is good too.