Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cpt

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by cpt »

Last night’s celebration dinner: prime rib eyes with herb butter, Alaskan King Crab legs, Alton Brown baked potato and a 2012 Côte d’Or Burgundy.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

mother to son poem theme

Roasted poblano, bacon, and chicken risotto. Perfect risotto in the pressure cooker every time.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Picked up a pasture raised prime ribeye and a Japanese sweet potato. Sous vide at 128 degrees for an hour then seared over charcoal. Sweet potato is baked with miso butter and scallions.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

IMO that's perfect medium rare! God damn!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I don't eat red meat often. Even less often steak. But the one or 2 times a year I do I always get a good cut and always sous vide it. Turns out perfect with edge to edge medium rare every time.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Showed your pics to my wife. She's not only impressed, she said: "That's Charlie Meadows!" We watched Barton Fink last night.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lol I haven't seen that movie in ages. One of my top Coen bros by far though.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicken katsu curry

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chinese bbq pork tenderloin (served with stir fried snap peas and rice)

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Been cooking like crazy with the wife this week we've had off in our newish kitchen.

Homemade spinach and ricotta stuffed agnolotti pasta
4 quarts roasted marinara sauce
About 200 ricotta gnocchi
Sweet potato gnocchi with sage and broccoli rabe
Whole Thanksgiving dinner with all the sides including homemade rolls
60 salted caramel chocolate chip cookies
4 quarts of roasted brown turkey/chicken stock
4 smoked turkey pot pies
8 cups Holiday cranberry jam
Holiday cranberry spice cocktail syrup
Smash burgers
Vegetarian noodle stir fry
6 dozen organic pumpkin and banana dog treats
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Made a standing rib roast the other night that I way undercooked. That's the last time I listen to reviews of recipes online instead of going with my gut. 375 degrees for an hour then letting it sit in the warm oven for 5 hours and getting it back up to 375 in the last half hour before serving led to some raw ass meat. I was so pissed.

Should have cranked that bad boy up to 500 and then let it cool off. 375 was way too low and allrecipes.com can lick my taint for telling me it would come out perfect (as should all the reviewers who claimed to have made it that way).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea that's way too low. The 500 then cool down has always worked for us.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:43 am Made a standing rib roast the other night that I way undercooked. That's the last time I listen to reviews of recipes online instead of going with my gut. 375 degrees for an hour then letting it sit in the warm oven for 5 hours and getting it back up to 375 in the last half hour before serving led to some raw ass meat. I was so pissed.

Should have cranked that bad boy up to 500 and then let it cool off. 375 was way too low and allrecipes.com can lick my taint for telling me it would come out perfect (as should all the reviewers who claimed to have made it that way).
Was this the dinner during the Rams game? Both your team and your dinner apparently were undercooked...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:00 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:43 am Made a standing rib roast the other night that I way undercooked. That's the last time I listen to reviews of recipes online instead of going with my gut. 375 degrees for an hour then letting it sit in the warm oven for 5 hours and getting it back up to 375 in the last half hour before serving led to some raw ass meat. I was so pissed.

Was this the dinner during the Rams game? Both your team and your dinner apparently were undercooked...
Bingo. I was throwing around oven mitts in anger for more than one reason.

The cronchy smashed potatoes and roasted broccoli I made were on point though.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I use a 4 probe Bluetooth thermometer. It’s only $50 and gets your meat to the perfect temp.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Wireless ... ird&sr=8-3
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I made a good Punahou Portuguese bean soup with fresh linguica from Forbes Meat in Tucson last night. Pretty good
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 am I made a good Punahou Portuguese bean soup with fresh linguica from Forbes Meat in Tucson last night. Pretty good
My last name is Forbes...

Why I am suddenly having a Rocky Horror Picture Show flashback?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:39 am

Outstanding.
May I suggest the next time you cook during the Rams game you make something with a little more consistency...
;)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Grilled cheese and ramen noodles last night.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:56 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:39 am

Outstanding.
May I suggest the next time you cook during the Rams game you make something with a little more consistency...
;)
I don’t usually cook on Sundays. And I don’t plan to do it again any time soon. I’ll just go back to being the weekday short order asshole.

So the Rams are going to have to get their shit together on their own.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Made Parmesan crusted chicken breasts with vermicelli & spinach in a lemon ricotta cream sauce and it was fucking fantastic.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Sounds great! I'm making tikka masala on Saturday and prob more smash burgers on Sunday
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

If there is a God this would be his burger. Two 2 oz 73/27 ultra fatty balls of beef. Smashed onto a cast iron griddle on my Weber grill for 45 seconds. Flip both patties and then top one patty with a slice of American cheese. Then immediately put the second patty on top of the cheesed patty. After maybe 15 seconds serve on a toasted, cheap ass bun with thousand island dressing, pickle chips, lots of onion, and a squirt of yellow mustard.

Heaven awaits. Better than culver's or in n and out or anything else you could buy.

image hosting
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How long do you think he boiled this?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dry as fuck and covered in ketchup? Christ.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The pregnant wife has only been able to stand basically carbs, cheese, grapes and ginger ale in weeks 6 through 9 of pregnancy thusfar so I made Kenji's cheesy broccoli casserole to bridge both worlds.

10/10 would make and demolish again. Ain't your Midwestern grandma's cheesy broccoli!

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Thread....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

plus

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The wife made a crazy fancy (trust me it was a lot of work!) carrot cake for my birthday
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Anybody here match this?

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Someone has a cast iron fetish.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I made some of the best ribs I’ve ever eaten tonight.

They were so good there was dead silence at the table and no one left any meat on any of their bones. The dog was really disappointed but everyone else was happy as fuck.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Quick run down in the method/ingredients? I've made some pretty good ribs a lot but never AMAZING. I did make the best pulled pork I've ever eaten about a month ago though with sous vide and smoking. HIGHLY recommend.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Used Sweet Baby Ray’s honey mustard as the binder and the BBQ 3000 spice from Penzy’s as my rub. Four hours in the oven at 275 wrapped in foil. Uncovered and broiled for five minutes after slathering it with Sweet Baby Ray’s original bbq sauce.

Bones basically fell right out and the taste was fantastic.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The wife just called and she's stopping off at El Pollo Loco on her way home. I love her so much.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Pollo a la plancha con frijoles negros cubanos
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Bone-in pork chops in a cast iron skillet with creamy garlic mashed potatoes and a salad. Turned out nice.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

King crab with assorted sides that no one consciously ate.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Seis Kitchen for the first time. Pretty damn good.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Grilled chicken quesadillas with queso mennonita from Chihuahua. My fave melting cheese in existence. My folks have a vacation home (rustic adobe) in Chihuahua. Whenever they visit they bring back a shit ton. $7 a kilo.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Fuck. I want some. I love quesadillas and using regular old cheddar or Monterey or mozzarella is just meh now.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spent five nights in San Diego are eating everything in sight. Had some pretty hoity-doity meals that rocked my world but hands down the one that made my socks go up and down was a glorious Chicano staple for under $10 at a Birrieria / Menuderia spot in Chula Vista. Goat stew so velvety and robust (but not at all gamey) that I moaned with every spoonful. Followed that with beef tongue tacos. GODDAMN! That's real food!

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yes fucking right that is real food. I've had some fairly decent and higher end meals in my life but the stuff I have fantasies about is the kind of thing you just mentioned. Those people know how to really cook. Really, many times fancy chefs will secretly tell you the same thing.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:21 pm Fuck. I want some. I love quesadillas and using regular old cheddar or Monterey or mozzarella is just meh now.

It's the best. Very occasionally you can find a passable queso Chihuahua at Costco and sometimes at El Super on south 6th Ave. Though nothing beats buying a few kilos from a blonde kid speaking high German, in Chihuahua. Lol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queso_Chihuahua
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:33 pm Yes fucking right that is real food. I've had some fairly decent and higher end meals in my life but the stuff I have fantasies about is the kind of thing you just mentioned. Those people know how to really cook. Really, many times fancy chefs will secretly tell you the same thing.
On the other end of the spectrum is grilled octopus and swordfish. I've decided if I could eat only one fish for the rest of my life it'd be swordfish in any form. Octopus puts squid absolutely to shame. So sumptuous. I'm glad it's not technically a fish HA! Then there's bucatini. Why is it that bucatini is so magical? Drizzle it with motor oil and a lot of black pepper and I'll eat my weight in it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Same thoughts here. One of my favorites is making bucatini all'amatriciana with some guanciale from Roma Imports. And if I go to a decent restaurant that has octopus on the menu that's what I am getting. Period.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Something I'm sort of making up as I go tonight based on ingredients at hand (low on EVERYTHING):

Potato Chowder

Starting with a roux with bacon, flour, onion, shallot, butter.

Added 6 cups chicken stock and fresh garlic, brought it to a boil.

next up:

6 diced russet potatoes to to boiling roux/broth

That's gonna simmer for a while.

Adding 3 cups of sweet corn to the mix.

Maybe drop in a bit of cream of mushroom.

Add about a cup of sour cream.

Garnish with parsley flakes.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Any suggestions on additions tweaks as I'm only halfway in here and winging it.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I cooked up some chicken wings in my Ninja air fryer for the first time. Really crunchy and some of the best tasking chicken wings I've ever had.

Redmond's Real salt
Freshly ground black pepper
RA Signature Seasonings Caribbean Jerk spice (from the Farmers Market)
Freshly ground chili peppers from Thailand (really hot)
Cutino Sauce Company Habanero Sauce (Out of Tempe and not as hot as it sounds) added after cooked

Cook at 375 for 15 minutes. Flip wings and cook for another 15 minutes.

https://raseasonings.com/
https://cutinosauce.com/
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

First real meal out sitting down in a restaurant since February 2020 tonight. Tito and Pep. That was actually one of my last 2 meals out before the pandemic too. Their food is amazing and very well priced for the quality. Nothing over $24 on their menu. We had the grilled octopus with salsa macha, an insanely beautiful pork chop with beet greens/jamaica mole sauce/purple sweet potato, and grilled trout with chard and fried garlic. Beautiful stuff.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I got a tour of the kitchen and mesquite oven there. Chef Martinez showed us around. He’s a really cool guy and a helluva good cook.