California Has One Year of Water Left

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: California Has One Year of Water Left

Post by ASUHATER! »

What about the millions more green lawns and golf courses and and fountains in California than in Arizona? California absolutely is the one that needs to drastically cut their use the most
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:58 pm What about the millions more green lawns and golf courses and and fountains in California than in Arizona? California absolutely is the one that needs to drastically cut their use the most
This kind of finger pointing is doing us no good. Everybody needs to cut and we need better planning for the future.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:58 pm What about the millions more green lawns and golf courses and and fountains in California than in Arizona? California absolutely is the one that needs to drastically cut their use the most
Golf courses use recycled water. Most fountains I see are empty. Saw one the other day beautifully done in succulents.

I have rocks in my front yard, my neighbor does too, and the opposite neighbor abandoned her front lawn.

Tucson has been ahead of the curve when I lived there back before the CAP. Phoenix has not, so that's why I mentioned them. Maybe CAP is a bad thing, people would have started conserving earlier. Remember when Casa Grande had excess CAP water and wanted to build a huge lake?

CAP is a huge federal pork program championed by Mo Udall. But getting water to Tucson came at a cost. AZ had to become a junior partner and now has to deal with that.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:55 pm On the other hand, the desert agricultural areas are the most productive farm fields in the world. Does it make good strategic sense to cut off our nation's food factories? To replace them in areas within our nation which are more moist and closer to the water source would mean converting many more acres of habitat into farms.
I don't think it does, but I do think it makes more sense to grow crops that do well with less water. It makes absolutely no sense to grow things like cotton, alfalfa, and lettuce in a place that is running out of water. It makes even less sense to grow alfalfa in that place so it can be shipped overseas. There are plenty of low water food crops that could be grown on that farmland. Tepary beans are delicious and barely require irrigation at all. We should be providing incentives for those sorts of crops instead of cotton.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUCatFan wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:37 pm It makes even less sense to grow alfalfa in that place so it can be shipped overseas.

Oh yes, forgot about that. Gotta love these Trump type of deals.

https://azpbs.org/horizon/2022/06/saudi ... n-phoenix/
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUCatFan wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:37 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:55 pm On the other hand, the desert agricultural areas are the most productive farm fields in the world. Does it make good strategic sense to cut off our nation's food factories? To replace them in areas within our nation which are more moist and closer to the water source would mean converting many more acres of habitat into farms.
I don't think it does, but I do think it makes more sense to grow crops that do well with less water. It makes absolutely no sense to grow things like cotton, alfalfa, and lettuce in a place that is running out of water. It makes even less sense to grow alfalfa in that place so it can be shipped overseas. There are plenty of low water food crops that could be grown on that farmland. Tepary beans are delicious and barely require irrigation at all. We should be providing incentives for those sorts of crops instead of cotton.
Like salads? You're talking about cutting off the most productive lettuce ground in the world.

Like beef?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:59 pm
Like salads? You're talking about cutting off the most productive lettuce ground in the world.

Like beef?
Lettuce only grows in the water starved desert?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:21 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:59 pm

Like beef?
Lettuce only grows in the water starved desert?
I should've said. "Like to eat salad in the winter?" . Lettuce is susceptible to freeze damage.