If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheBlackLodge

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by TheBlackLodge »

ButtonSalmon wrote:Anywhere around town have good jerk chicken?
Like SD86 said, D's Island Grill is the spot. The sauce on the jerk chicken is a little BBQ-y for me but it's still good. The rice and peas and festival are decent by most standards.
I would also kill for some good New York style Halal chicken and rice, anywhere in Tucson have that?
Best $5 lunch in NYC. Haven't found it here yet, but haven't really looked yet. Man, now I'm jonesing for some. Easy on the white sauce and extra hot sauce!
Formerly McLurvin
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You got Sonoran food. It's a trade-off.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Longhorned wrote:You got Sonoran food. It's a trade-off.
I know its completely off topic, but I feel like Sonoran is being pumped up the king of Mexican food right now and it's pissing me off.
Sonoran food is awesome no doubt, but as far as Mexican, I'll go with Sinaloa. One day I'm going to take you on one of my business trips down there LH.

I know you like seafood, so you would be absolutely blown away. Long lunches under a Palapa eating freshly caught fish/shrimp/scallops and washing it down with ice cold dos equis and tequila.

or go to this place: http://cabanna.com.mx/
which is my current favorite.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, that Cabanna place is it. Hell yeah I'm coming to work with you.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

If I'm feeling really hungry and cheap I like to hit up Sushi Ten (during happy hour). Love the Kiss Me Roll.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

cats101 wrote:If I'm feeling really hungry and cheap I like to hit up Sushi Ten (during happy hour). Love the Kiss Me Roll.
Sushi Ten is our go to sushi place. My kids love sushi and the happy hour prices allows us to afford it. Plus the red bean ice cream is very good.
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

scumdevils86 wrote:
ButtonSalmon wrote:Well it used to be Janos, loved his food. His new place Downtown Kitchen has a pretty good menu the one time I went there when I was in town but is probably mostly known for its cocktails. Poco Cosa and El Parador are good. Kingfisher of course. Blue Willow is always an enjoyable meal. The list is pretty long hard to nail down to just one.

Where is the best place to get good bowl of Pho on the east side or mid town and also anywhere around town have good jerk chicken? I would also kill for some good New York style Halal chicken and rice, anywhere in Tucson have that?

I have not lived here all my life, have been back and forth between Tucson and NY for the last two decades so I am not entirely aware of what Tucson cusine looks like presently, any tips would be appreciated wrt the above.
https://dsislandgrilltucson.com/

Perfect, never been there but that looks terrific, thanks for the tip!
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
ButtonSalmon wrote:Anywhere around town have good jerk chicken?
Like SD86 said, D's Island Grill is the spot. The sauce on the jerk chicken is a little BBQ-y for me but it's still good. The rice and peas and festival are decent by most standards.
I would also kill for some good New York style Halal chicken and rice, anywhere in Tucson have that?
Best $5 lunch in NYC. Haven't found it here yet, but haven't really looked yet. Man, now I'm jonesing for some. Easy on the white sauce and extra hot sauce!
Yea I am going to check that place out and you are right, you cannot beat that chicken and rice in NY for 5 bucks. Mouth watering good! There is a pretty sizable Muslim community in Tucson so I am sure someone is serving Halal chicken and rice, I will have to ask around and ill let you know, please do the same! Most likely it is going to be in one of those food trucks going around town if nothing else.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Back in the early 80's I used to love Davinci's, great Italian cuisine. Now I like Piazza Gavi up by Ventana Canyon.
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I remember a place over on 4th Ave. called Caruso's. Back in the late 80s before actual Italian food arrived in the state of Arizona. I think I drank cappuccino with my dish of spaghetti.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Goodness Fresh Food and Juice Bar
http://goodnessfresh.com/

MANGO JUNGLE Acai Bowl

acai, mango, pineapple, coconut milk and chia seed blend,
topped with seasonal berries, bee pollen, goji berries,
almonds, coconut shavings, and local honey

The main part is frozen like ice cream. I've tried a few of the offerings but this one is my favorite. Their maple syrup lemonade is good too. They just opened in April and are close to campus, just north of Grant on Campbell.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anyone remember the Blue Saguaro? Pretty decent Chop house. The owner was the cook and llived upstairs. He would slow cook everything.
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Catintheheat wrote:Goodness Fresh Food and Juice Bar
http://goodnessfresh.com/

MANGO JUNGLE Acai Bowl

acai, mango, pineapple, coconut milk and chia seed blend,
topped with seasonal berries, bee pollen, goji berries,
almonds, coconut shavings, and local honey

The main part is frozen like ice cream. I've tried a few of the offerings but this one is my favorite. Their maple syrup lemonade is good too. They just opened in April and are close to campus, just north of Grant on Campbell.
kinda makes me want a double bacon cheeseburger
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Anyone remember the Blue Saguaro? Pretty decent Chop house. The owner was the cook and llived upstairs. He would slow cook everything.
I do remember Daddy Jack's Blue Note. Very easy to steal pitchers and glasses, I was able to collect 2 complete sets. Had a couple strippers living in the apartment complex I live in. Used to sun up on the roof topless until they caught me staring at them.

Not sure why I brought that up, but was just talking about it with one of my brothers.

If I had to pick one strip club in Tucson it would be the Love Boat.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

El Charro isn't the fanciest place in town, but Carne Seca is my answer to the "desert island" hypothetical. And someday God willing, my cause of death.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

cats101 wrote:If I'm feeling really hungry and cheap I like to hit up Sushi Ten (during happy hour). Love the Kiss Me Roll.
Same here, love that place. Mexican roll and the sweet dream roll

If its ever too busy, Kazoku just west of there is amazing as well
ButtonSalmon wrote:Where is the best place to get good bowl of Pho on the east side or mid town
Ha Long Bay, just moved to Tanque Verde/Sabino Canyon late last year after their old building was torn down at Broadway/Wilmot. The waiter is from Ha Long Bay, Thailand.
Sage&Silver wrote:El Charro isn't the fanciest place in town, but Carne Seca is my answer to the "desert island" hypothetical. And someday God willing, my cause of death.
Ate at the original one downtown last night. Been there since 1922, its the oldest family owned and operated Mexican restaurant in the country

Also hit a couple new spots downtown this weekend that have to be on the list:

Mercado San Agustin(just west of I10/Congress) has 18 businesses inside an open air courtyard setting.

Agustine Kitchen
Seis Kitchen
Stella Java Coffee
La Estrella Bakery
Blu - Wine & Cheese Bar

and then a bike shop, trading posts, jewelry shops and a wellness spa.

Since its all in one location you can buy drinks at any place in there and walk around the whole place. Just gotta bring your glass back. Picked up some 32oz mimosas at Agustin Kitchen and took them over to Seis for some tacos/burritos. Ate in the covered courtyard. Sounds like they do Farmers Markets as well. Street car goes right past it, everyone in there is expecting a huge boom in business.

Agustin Kitchen, probably heading back this week to try it out:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Looks like there will be one less Mexican restaurant:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

2nd Guadalajara grill to burn in 2 months...sketchy, that.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love Guadalajara grill.

That sucks. We go (went) to the Kolb one all the time.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah I was gonna say...the one by my house on Prince has been going through fire restoration work....now it gets suspicious.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah I was gonna say...the one by my house on Prince has been going through fire restoration work....now it gets suspicious.

It seems that way, but they are owned by completely different people. It is crazy though.
Merkin

Hmmmm....

Post by Merkin »

Another Guadalajara Fiesta Grill burns down!

http://tucson.com/news/local/guadalajar ... f887a.html

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sucks, im there weekly. We were there Thursday for lunch and they were working on something on the ceiling. Looked liked electrical updates, makes you wonder...
gumby

Post by gumby »

BearDown89 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Went to Rosa's on Fort Lowell and Campbell once because I can walk there in 2 minutes. Worst service I've ever had in any restaurant. Never been back and the food was just average. Also have only been to Casa Molina on Campbell just once too because it is walking distance. Very average to bad Mexican food.
I grew up in the Campbell and River area. The old Campbell Casa Molina used to be located in this cool little old deserty ramshackle plaza on the SW corner of Campbell and the Rillito. I think maybe there's a Trader Joe's there now, or there was a Chuy's. Anyway, way back in the day Casa Molina was my family's Mexican joint. Great little building, knew the wait staff forever. It's where I developed my love for carne seca which is unique to Tucson Mexican. We used to pick it up by the quart or pint with a stack of tortillas and roll our own. They used to put a fried egg on my mom's enchiladas. They knew to bring my "gringo" little brother a cheeseburger. My grandparents were regulars, we always got a big cheese crisp, etc., etc. Always loved it. In my view, however, it went down hill the minute they moved down to Ft. Lowell into that big space. I've been there from time to time over the years, but it's never been the same for decades now I guess. Still has a place in my Mexican food DNA though.

My folks still live in the area and Rosa's has been their place for years now. I've been a handful of times when I'm in town. Went last Thanksgiving and it was packed that night. I have to agree though, the food is average at best. Folks are getting old and less discerning; they don't see the point in travelling to S. 4th Ave, or whereever else you guys are finding the good stuff these days.

I'm still a Mi Nidito guy, but I've been gone for 23 years. I'm sure there's lots of great places. Also loved going to El Torero off of S. 4th way back in the late 70s. That was always fun as a kid, pool table, shuffle board, cheese crisps. Had my oldests daughter's post-baptism lunch there. :lol:
Was that the one called "Midway Molina's"? Ate there in college. Popular because you could write a check without producing ID. Had a brassy waitress who was a huge Green Bay Packers fan.

Also liked El Chaparral (probably gone now), because you could bring your own six-pack and put it in the fridge.
Right where I want to be.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Midway Molinas is still around. Speedway and Rosemont I think, but a block north of Speedway, knd of hidden. If I remember correctly this was the original Molinas. Their kids run Casa Molina and the grandkids run El Molinito. Or something like that. 3 restaurant brands, 1 family.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thanks!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sage&Silver wrote:El Charro isn't the fanciest place in town, but Carne Seca is my answer to the "desert island" hypothetical. And someday God willing, my cause of death.

Had carne seca last time I was in Tucson in June, forgot the place (on Swan?), but never realized what I have been missing. Never knew what it was, so never ordered it. My son did ask, and it sounded really good and it was.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i hope the guadalajara grill on prince reopens soon. always been my favorite mexican place in town (still haven't tried mi nidito yet..every time i've gone by there it's an hour+ wait)

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Taqueria Pico De Gallo. Just found this place the other day at 6th/36th. Not on that side of town often but I will be making regular trips now. I guess it used to be a food truck. Every taco is under $2 and they do this fruit pico which is watermelon, coconut, pineapple, jicama and mango with salt, lime juice and chili powder

ASUHATER! wrote:i hope the guadalajara grill on prince reopens soon. always been my favorite mexican place in town (still haven't tried mi nidito yet..every time i've gone by there it's an hour+ wait)
Sounds like Sept
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Pico de Gallo is the bomb. Their pink sauce must be laced with crack, because I can't stop putting it on my tacos!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:i hope the guadalajara grill on prince reopens soon. always been my favorite mexican place in town (still haven't tried mi nidito yet..every time i've gone by there it's an hour+ wait)
Sit down and wait Hater! Cram yourself into the lobby so you can have a Margarita and look at all the celeb pictures over the years. Order carne seca.

Merkin wrote:
Had carne seca last time I was in Tucson in June, forgot the place (on Swan?), but never realized what I have been missing. Never knew what it was, so never ordered it. My son did ask, and it sounded really good and it was.
I don't believe I've ever ordered anything esle at a Tucson Mexican restaurant since I discovered the stuff when I was about 10. I might add a taco or two, but always carne seca. Sometimes in a plain burrito, sometimes enchilada style, sometimes in a chimi or even an enchilada style chimi. I've got a recipe for it in an old Tucson Junior League cookbook of my Mother's. Basically, you dry out the meat low and slow in the oven instead of the sun. It's a little labor intensive, but it turns out pretty good. I'll see if I can dig it up and post it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Carne seca. Sounds a lot better than "dry meat." Like mine in machaca. Northwest is a desert when it comes to carne seca.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Drove past Guadalajara and the roof is gone. They're gonna have to start over

Pretty sure those gaps in the siding are from the Fire Depts deluge gun.

Pics cut off on my monitor, right click and copy image url and post in a new tab to see the full width
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

They still dont know the cause of the fire. They just applied for a liquor license in the old TGIFs on Broadway
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:They still dont know the cause of the fire. They just applied for a liquor license in the old TGIFs on Broadway
I am hearing that the Kolb owners are the ones who applied for the license.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

All respect to Matty D, but any place you have to wait an hour on a weekend morning to get a table is not hidden.

That aside Prep and Pastry has some great food. I had a maple bacon dosant (can't call them cronuts, name is trademarked) and the breakfast poutine, and both were outstanding. The poutine was so filling I wasn't hungry again for 10-11 hours.
Formerly McLurvin
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Abbey closes again, might be for good.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... e-for-good
September 30, 2014
It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the closing of The Abbey restaurant. We will continue to explore options to transfer my ownership to a viable operator. In the meantime, my family and I would like to thank Tucson for embracing our restaurant and being so supportive for the past four years. I had hoped for a better outcome when I took over on July 2, 2014, but unfortunately, too much damage had been done. Despite our tireless efforts, we could not recover. And though we have to walk away from a restaurant we love, we walk away with pride because we know we tried absolutely everything in our power.
I send heartfelt thanks to my amazing staff for their unwavering loyalty and to my friends and family for their support and understanding. I would like to thank my best friend, Emmie Fohr, for always believing, and Beecher Howard, my rock and partner throughout this, for picking me up every time I fall.
Most importantly, I want to thank my children, for their unconditional love and their generous and brave hearts. And my daughter Abigale, wise beyond her years, for her thoughtful, consoling words, “You can close the Abbey, momma, as long as we get to spend more time together.”

Always,
Sandy Ford
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Tucson Cheba Hut closing. Friday is the last day they will be open.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Whattt? I was just there today for lunch. They're are always super busy.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Crap. I need a white widow before then somehow
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

The Guadalajara on Prince reopened a few weeks ago. Busy as ever.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

84Cat wrote:The Guadalajara on Prince reopened a few weeks ago. Busy as ever.
yep. it was ridiculous the first friday night it was reopened when I drove past. people had to park down the street. luckily my gf lives about a 5 minute walk away from there so no need to park!
Zero

Post by Zero »

Wow, Cheba Hut? Sucks.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

scumdevils86 wrote:Crap. I need a white widow before then somehow

http://www.leafly.com/hybrid/white-widow

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

6th, west of Campbell, desperately needs some new bar/restaurants
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

UAEebs86 wrote:Tucson Cheba Hut closing. Friday is the last day they will be open.
Cheba Hut had a great location, but I can think of at least 10 places in Tucson I'd rather get a sandwich from.
Formerly McLurvin
cat77

Post by cat77 »

Longhorned wrote:I remember a place over on 4th Ave. called Caruso's. Back in the late 80s before actual Italian food arrived in the state of Arizona. I think I drank cappuccino with my dish of spaghetti.
Yup Caruso's is still around. Family owned sense the 40's. Great food. My parents were going there before I was born 37 years ago. The ex wife is actually the assistant general manager. The family treats her very well.
cat77

Post by cat77 »

Jefe wrote:Taqueria Pico De Gallo. Just found this place the other day at 6th/36th. Not on that side of town often but I will be making regular trips now. I guess it used to be a food truck. Every taco is under $2 and they do this fruit pico which is watermelon, coconut, pineapple, jicama and mango with salt, lime juice and chili powder

Sounds like Sept
One of my favorite hole in the walls. The tacos, salsa, and pico are unbelievable.
UAEebs86

Cheba Hut in Tucson Closes, Plans to Reopen Eventually

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Whattt? I was just there today for lunch. They're are always super busy.

May reopen at some point with a different owner?:

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... eventually

Fans of Tucson’s toasted sub franchise Cheba Hut got some bad news last night via Facebook. Owners Steve and Colleen Bigelow announced that after over six years of slinging sandwiches, the location at 1820 E. 6th Street will be permanently closing on Friday, Dec. 5 at 10 p.m. due to “uncontrollable circumstances.”

Owner Steve Bigelow says those circumstances amounted to a disagreement between the company and him as the franchise owner, which he describes as still a “mom and pop operation.”

“Me, as the owner and landlord, and corporate could not come to terms to keep Cheba Hut open at this location.”

Though Bigelow says he’s unsure when or where Cheba Hut might open under new ownership, you can stop into Bigelow’s Cheba Hut from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 5 to say goodbye and get one last AK-47 pinner (8” French dip sub).
-JB