Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:Did you see that Anthony Bourdain No Reservations visit to Saudi Arabia, where they butchered and ate that camel? That animal was meaty. Maybe not fair, but I'm picturing llama as sinewy and lean.
No no no!

Llama is delicious, soft like Filet Minion, a hint of gamey but not overpowering, touch of sweetness.

Damn, I need to get back to Salta. Probably one of the more delicious steaks I've ever had.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Did you see that Anthony Bourdain No Reservations visit to Saudi Arabia, where they butchered and ate that camel? That animal was meaty. Maybe not fair, but I'm picturing llama as sinewy and lean.
No no no!

Llama is delicious, soft like Filet Minion, a hint of gamey but not overpowering, touch of sweetness.

Damn, I need to get back to Salta. Probably one of the more delicious steaks I've ever had.
Oh, okay. I'll pick some up and grill it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Inch-thick tuna steaks:

1 cup Pinot Grigio
3/4 cup OVOO
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 water
1/4 grilling seasoning
3 tbs dijon mustard
2 tbs fresh basil
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs thyme
Salt/Pepper to taste

Marinate for 2 hours, fully covered in liquid.

As your grilling, each flip, dip into marinade, as the oil & wine makes flames jump up and sear the meat. Flip every 2/3 minutes for about 15-20 minutes total, or until about 75% cooked through, as you want mostly pink inside, and a bit of dark pink center.

Really, weird combinations, but fantastic flavor. Not subtle, but not overpowering.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Prince Edward Island Oysters

Seared Loch Du Art Salmon with pearl couscous, roasted tomatoes, prosciutto, garlic confit, butternut squash and baby arugula

Journeyman Distillery Featherbone Bourbon Manhattan
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I went to a wedding. Chopped up pork in barbecue sauce on cheap buns. It was weird. The wedding cake was a bunch of donuts piled high.
Merkin

I'm a meat and potatoes guy

Post by Merkin »

Although I don't eat potatoes or potato products.

For my wife's birthday yesterday, made grilled some filet mignon for her and myself, and fake filet mignons from Costco for the kids.

They didn't notice or care, since they filled up on these anyway.

Some very nice cabernet that one of my son's friends brought over. Forgot what it was, but it was a nickel wine at BevMo.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Had a bacon cheddar burger at Bun Huggers in Flagstaff yesterday. Fantastic.
Lane_Myers

Re: I'm a meat and potatoes guy

Post by Lane_Myers »

Merkin wrote:
They didn't notice or care, since they filled up on these anyway.

Merkin,

Are those your version of jalapeno poppers? If so, please share the recipe, thanks!

-Lane
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very easy Lane.

Just half shredded cheese, half soften cream cheese mixed together.

Jalapenos and sweet peppers (for the wife) cut in half and deseeded.

Fill with the cheese mixture.

Wrap with half a slice of quality bacon and use a toothpick to hold it on.

Roast at a low temperature until the cheese mixture starts to brown.

Very easy to make and quite popular.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merk, are you on a strict no carb diet?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin, that all looks soooooo good.

What's fake filet mignon? I bet I'd like it.

Last night over charcoal: Lebanese flat bread and goat kebap, with rockets salad

Tonight: Japanese rice omelets, with a tatsoi salad

Here's the grilled flat bread recipe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/dining/01minirex.html

[youtube]xrhJZdzfMe8[/youtube]
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Grilled chicken sandwiches with provolone, arugula, and a red pepper Sriracha mayo. Fries, salad, and apple ginger hard cider.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

kneeding some dough for flat bread to go with one whole branzino, which I'll stuff with lemon and thyme and grill over charcoal:

Will split it with my wife. Kind of wish I got two.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Goat kebap bulgur pilaf with vermicelli
Salad
Raki
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sushi
gumby

Post by gumby »

Steelhead.
Right where I want to be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Grilled pork chops and steamed veggies
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

nana taco
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

THIS.

[youtube]Q5y2voEWJ6U[/youtube]

Used mesquite charcoal, which added a nice flavor. After the meat was done, I put a cast iron skillet on the coals and cooked up some bell peppers and onions for fajitas. Simply delicious.
Formerly McLurvin
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

TheBlackLodge wrote:THIS.

Used mesquite charcoal, which added a nice flavor. After the meat was done, I put a cast iron skillet on the coals and cooked up some bell peppers and onions for fajitas. Simply delicious.
Nice. You did the meat directly on the coals like Alton did? Lump charcoal like he used or Kingsford type briquets? I've never done that before directly on the coals. I'd think you'd want to use the lump type.

I was raised on a Weber kettle and natural mesquite from the yard. My family's go-to cut has always been the London Broil on a hot fire, 7-9 minutes a side depending on thickness, cooked to the temp in that video, wrapped and rested for 5-10 minutes and sliced like he did. The flank steak is a close second on our grill.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TheBlackLodge wrote:THIS.

[youtube]Q5y2voEWJ6U[/youtube]

I'll copy that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beef short ribs barbecued over charcoal. They're gigantic, like from a dinosaur. Basted with barbecue sauce. Some people say you shouldn't put barbecue sauce on beef ribs, but I think they're saying that just to feel better about themselves.

Wish I'd have thought to make cole slaw.

Grilled bread, salad.

It's 4:00, and I'm starting on drinking now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I won't even be home feom work for another six hours or so...I bet my dinner options will be limited tonight
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I'm going to the swap meet to get a bud light in a paper cup, nachos, kettle corn and a Sonoran dog. I may try to trade some baseball cards or even get a haircut. I don't know, I don't want to plan it out too much. It will be a visceral experience.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Take out from Taylor's Chowder House.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Getting ready to put a fresh 2lbs filet of Copper River salmon on the Weber. Lightly dressed with olive oil, salt, cracked pepper and lemon slices. Directly cooked over the coals skin side down with one flip to the flesh side for grill marks. The fish looks outstanding. Corn on the cob, husks pulled back buttered and olive oiled, salt, pepper and chopped cilantro, re-wrap in the husks and foil, roast on the Weber off the coals.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:Getting ready to put a fresh 2lbs filet of Copper River salmon on the Weber. Lightly dressed with olive oil, salt, cracked pepper and lemon slices. Directly cooked over the coals skin side down with one flip to the flesh side for grill marks. The fish looks outstanding. Corn on the cob, husks pulled back buttered and olive oiled, salt, pepper and chopped cilantro, re-wrap in the husks and foil, roast on the Weber off the coals.
You ate well tonight.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Steak on charcoal grill medium rare.

Malbec.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Longhorned wrote:Beef short ribs barbecued over charcoal. They're gigantic, like from a dinosaur. Basted with barbecue sauce. Some people say you shouldn't put barbecue sauce on beef ribs, but I think they're saying that just to feel better about themselves.

Wish I'd have thought to make cole slaw.

Grilled bread, salad.

It's 4:00, and I'm starting on drinking now.
The right bbq sauce on beef ribs is the key. You don't want anything too over the top sweet. I make a bourbon bbq sauce for them. A good balance of sweet and vinegar for the ribs slow roasted over mesquite coals.

I had all the ingredients to make the Alton Brown Skirt steaks on lump charcoal last night. I just couldn't bring myself to put the meat on the ashy dirty coals, so I just cooked the steak the old fashioned way. Made Vampiro Tacos (toasted corn tortillas) with fresh panella cheese from Hermosillo, and beans re fried with chorrizo grease. They. Were. Awesome.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

azgreg wrote:Take out from Taylor's Chowder House.
This sounds like the Punchline to a joke that ends with hip gyrations and Taylor using both hands to point down at his underwear zone.

What ever happened to Taylor? I know he disappeared before hand, but does he know about the migration?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gato Salvaje wrote: I just couldn't bring myself to put the meat on the ashy dirty coals
Same here, esp. the price of those cuts.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

BearDown89 wrote:Nice. You did the meat directly on the coals like Alton did? Lump charcoal like he used or Kingsford type briquets? I've never done that before directly on the coals. I'd think you'd want to use the lump type.
Yep, the meat went down directly onto the coals. I used 100% natural mesquite lump charcoal (40 lbs. for $12.49, thanks Food City!) and cooked each side for about 35-40 seconds. Can't imagine using briquets with all of the fillers and binders in them, and even worse the lighter fluid!
Gato Salvaje wrote:I had all the ingredients to make the Alton Brown Skirt steaks on lump charcoal last night. I just couldn't bring myself to put the meat on the ashy dirty coals, so I just cooked the steak the old fashioned way.
Merkin wrote:Same here, esp. the price of those cuts.
It seems weird, I know, but you should give it a go. In an old episode of Good Eats when Alton Brown uses the same grilling technique, he does mention that you could use a hair dryer to blow off any excess ash before you start cooking. Honestly, the juices and fat coming from the meat during cooking wash off almost all the stuck-on ash. Neither the gf or I noticed any weird flavors. Just had the leftovers for breakfast with some home fries and over-easy eggs. Still amazing.
Formerly McLurvin
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Gato Salvaje wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Some people say you shouldn't put barbecue sauce on beef ribs, but I think they're saying that just to feel better about themselves.
The right bbq sauce on beef ribs is the key. You don't want anything too over the top sweet. I make a bourbon bbq sauce for them. A good balance of sweet and vinegar for the ribs slow roasted over mesquite coals.
That's exactly what I made! A nice vinegary bourbon sauce that penetrated the meat and cut the fat while giving it that woodsy bourbon note.
Gato Salvaje wrote:I had all the ingredients to make the Alton Brown Skirt steaks on lump charcoal last night. I just couldn't bring myself to put the meat on the ashy dirty coals, so I just cooked the steak the old fashioned way. Made Vampiro Tacos (toasted corn tortillas) with fresh panella cheese from Hermosillo, and beans re fried with chorrizo grease. They. Were. Awesome.
That is a pretty big leap of faith. I'd probably back out at the last second, but some day when I'm playing with house money, I'd like to try, because Alton Brown hasn't let me down. Those tacos sound spectacular, though.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:Nice. You did the meat directly on the coals like Alton did? Lump charcoal like he used or Kingsford type briquets? I've never done that before directly on the coals. I'd think you'd want to use the lump type.
Yep, the meat went down directly onto the coals. I used 100% natural mesquite lump charcoal (40 lbs. for $12.49, thanks Food City!) and cooked each side for about 35-40 seconds. Can't imagine using briquets with all of the fillers and binders in them, and even worse the lighter fluid!
Gato Salvaje wrote:I had all the ingredients to make the Alton Brown Skirt steaks on lump charcoal last night. I just couldn't bring myself to put the meat on the ashy dirty coals, so I just cooked the steak the old fashioned way.
Merkin wrote:Same here, esp. the price of those cuts.
It seems weird, I know, but you should give it a go. In an old episode of Good Eats when Alton Brown uses the same grilling technique, he does mention that you could use a hair dryer to blow off any excess ash before you start cooking. Honestly, the juices and fat coming from the meat during cooking wash off almost all the stuck-on ash. Neither the gf or I noticed any weird flavors. Just had the leftovers for breakfast with some home fries and over-easy eggs. Still amazing.
OK, maybe I'm ready after reading this.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

From garden:

to grill in just minutes.

No idea how they were, I don't like squash, but everyone else seemed to like them.

Just some olive oil and salt and pepper.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Me and the wife had a couple of steaks last night at The Keg in N Scottsdale last night in celebration of our 23rd anniversary.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Gato Salvaje wrote:I had all the ingredients to make the Alton Brown Skirt steaks on lump charcoal last night. I just couldn't bring myself to put the meat on the ashy dirty coals, so I just cooked the steak the old fashioned way. Made Vampiro Tacos (toasted corn tortillas) with fresh panella cheese from Hermosillo, and beans re fried with chorrizo grease. They. Were. Awesome.
Dude.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote: Image

No idea how they were, I don't like squash, but everyone else seemed to like them.

Just some olive oil and salt and pepper.
I do this all the time just like that Merk. It's the best way to get rid of all those zucchinis folks give you from their gardens.
BearDown89

Re: Dinner Last Night

Post by BearDown89 »

The friendly Canadian GF and I went up to Ketchum (Sun Valley for you tourists), Idaho for some mountain biking this weekend. After a great ride we hit legendary local dive - Grumpy's for a few post-ride schooners.

That's the Birdman and one of their 32oz fishbowls.

The special was a grilled brat with sauerkraut and horseradish mustard. I dumped the coleslaw on it just for good measure. Washed down with a schooner of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last night I made the barbacoa style taco meat from a chuck roast in my oven. As a former beef elitist, I would never buy chuck roast. Now I can't get enough. To bad it's not 88c a pound any more.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Last night I made the barbacoa style taco meat from a chuck roast in my oven. As a former beef elitist, I would never buy chuck roast. Now I can't get enough. To bad it's not 88c a pound any more.

Oh my god. My teeth want it. Love barbacoa, and that's beautiful barbacoa.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thai Beef Salad
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Eastern NC BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Eastern NC BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.
Take out? Did they give you sauce on the side? Clear?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Lasagna.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Eastern NC BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.
Take out? Did they give you sauce on the side? Clear?
Hursey's BBQ; Dine in, A thick syrupy, spicy vinger based sauce. Moist finely chopped pulled pork, with a piece of fried chicken, slaw, hushpuppies, and fries. One of the better ones I've had since out here.

Allen and Son's is the tits if you're ever in these parts.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Vinegar based sauces are the bomb! I'm a fan of vinegar cole slaw, too.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Grilled lemon pepper seasoned chicken over jasmine rice, feta, sauteed spinach, red onion and zucchini. With a grilled lemon to squeeze over. Started a little healthier meal plan for all of July. Was excellent.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Longhorned wrote:
Gato Salvaje wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Some people say you shouldn't put barbecue sauce on beef ribs, but I think they're saying that just to feel better about themselves.
That's exactly what I made! A nice vinegary bourbon sauce that penetrated the meat and cut the fat while giving it that woodsy bourbon note.
That is a pretty big leap of faith. I'd probably back out at the last second, but some day when I'm playing with house money, I'd like to try, because Alton Brown hasn't let me down. Those tacos sound spectacular, though.
I know. It's definitely the Alton Brown Factor that's keeping me interested, but the part where he says the ashy juice adds to the flavor makes me a bit nauseous.

How about an ashtray smoothie? wacala