If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat wrote:El Corral and El Charro (downtown) may not be trendy, but they are Tucson classics.

http://tucson.com/entertainment/blogs/c ... ?id=201408
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Had El Charro twice and I was just not impressed.

Had Poco & Moms about and week ago and the Green Hatch Chili Enchiladas blew my socks off.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

cats101 wrote:Had El Charro twice and I was just not impressed.

Had Poco & Moms about and week ago and the Green Hatch Chili Enchiladas blew my socks off.
I had those with the fried egg on top. F'in amazing.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My new favorite thing is the machaca at Guadalajara grill.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I could really go some Mi Nidito right now.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

cats101 wrote:Had Poco & Moms about and week ago and the Green Hatch Chili Enchiladas blew my socks off.
Try the red chili as well, so good. I like the new location except for the loud mouth behind the bar who invites all her friends in for weekday drinking
Zero

Post by Zero »

Longhorned wrote:I could really go some Mi Nidito right now.
Went this past Saturday. One hour wait at 2pm and was well worth it.

My new faves in town are La Botana on Ft Lowell and 1st, Proper downtown and Pizzeria Bianco downtown. Have had great meals at all of these recently.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Zero wrote:

My new faves in town are La Botana on Ft Lowell and 1st, Proper downtown and Pizzeria Bianco downtown. Have had great meals at all of these recently.
I keep saying I'll go to La Botana as I live a half mile away tops but I have never heard of anyone eating there personally. What did you have?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

La Botana has some amazing happy hour food and margarita deals.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
cats101

Post by cats101 »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Good God they do fried eggs on top. :o
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Jefe wrote:
cats101 wrote:Had Poco & Moms about and week ago and the Green Hatch Chili Enchiladas blew my socks off.
Try the red chili as well, so good. I like the new location except for the loud mouth behind the bar who invites all her friends in for weekday drinking
Interesting.

They need another location closer to mid-town...or for my sake they probably don't.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

cats101 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Good God they do fried eggs on top. :o
My mom has been having fried eggs on top of her enchiladas forever. It's the way to go.

I might also suggest cracking a few eggs on top of a pizza next time you make one . . .
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I've always been partial to 'Lil Abner's. Best beef ribs I've ever had, anywhere, and I've been to a lot of high end places around the world. Rarely do you get fall-off-the-bone beef ribs. They slow cook them and then finish them over an open mesquite fire. If you were to grab the end of one of the bones on your plate all the meat falls off. So damn good. Their BBQ sauce comes on the side (be wary of places that slather their ribs in sauce, shows they're not confident in their meat) and I rarely use any, though it's very good. Not too often can beef ribs stand on their own without BBQ sauce. These do. Every time.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Zero

Post by Zero »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Zero wrote:

I keep saying I'll go to La Botana as I live a half mile away tops but I have never heard of anyone eating there personally. What did you have?
I have had a ton of different things. I usually get a few tacos with different meats. Great margaritas as well.
cat77

Post by cat77 »

UAdevil wrote:I've always been partial to 'Lil Abner's. Best beef ribs I've ever had, anywhere, and I've been to a lot of high end places around the world. Rarely do you get fall-off-the-bone beef ribs. They slow cook them and then finish them over an open mesquite fire. If you were to grab the end of one of the bones on your plate all the meat falls off. So damn good. Their BBQ sauce comes on the side (be wary of places that slather their ribs in sauce, shows they're not confident in their meat) and I rarely use any, though it's very good. Not too often can beef ribs stand on their own without BBQ sauce. These do. Every time.
Bingo!!!!! Their beef ribs are out of this world. Steaks are great as well. I went to El Coral for my birthday back in may. It had always been so good. However their food has gone down hill. It was horrible. Tasted like old people cafeteria food. I've spoken to a few friends that have been their recently and read some reviews and sadly this seems to be the norm now with them.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Been to Reforma a couple times now. They specialize in Tequila but have amazing food as well all made from scratch apparently. Its in the old Vivace's in St Philips. Same owners as Union.

http://www.reformatucson.com/

Bar: https://tucsonfoodie.com/wp-content/upl ... G_1060.jpg
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Jefe wrote:Been to Reforma a couple times now. They specialize in Tequila but have amazing food as well all made from scratch apparently. Its in the old Vivace's in St Philips. Same owners as Union.

http://www.reformatucson.com/

Bar: https://tucsonfoodie.com/wp-content/upl ... G_1060.jpg
I know a girl who is a server there. She is dumb as a bag of dirt but is smoking hot. :lol: tried to ask her about the food and drinks there once but she had no clue...even though she works there.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Sounds like the makings of a Restaurant Impossible episode.

The new street taco and beer place downtown is legit. Blows Gio out the water. Check it out of you get a chance.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Tried D's Island Grill Ja. at Ft. Lowell and Country Club. Very solid.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just got take out from Za'atar on Country Club and Glenn. Next door to (and also owned by) Caravan Mid Eastern Foods Market. Used to be some crappy taco shop. Just opened in the last 2 weeks

Holy crap was it good. They make their own bread and everything else from scratch. The shawarma and falafel were so damn tasty.

Definitely give it a try...looks like a total hole but damn good eat in. Always trust opinions of people from the respective country the food is from.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Zero wrote:The new street taco and beer place downtown is legit. Blows Gio out the water. Check it out of you get a chance.
GIO just lowered all tacos to $2.50 to compete

I like Street, cool bar but I would have expected more on the taco than just meat. Salsa bar could have more options. The street corn is worthless by the way, don't waste your $3. Only been there once though

Theres a new brewery on Broadway called Pueblo Vida. They hired BK to setup a hot dog stand outside. Great idea
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:My new favorite thing is the machaca at Guadalajara grill.
For whatever reason, I hadn't been here until last month. Been there twice now, blown away both times. Someone mentioned Calle Tepa on the first page, I go there for carnitas tacos every time I am on the east side. Best Sonoran dogs in town are at Aqui Con El Nene, flowing wells/wetmore. I can't count how many people I have converted from Gueros and BK's.

I agree that street taco and beer place is pretty good. I though Gio was overpriced and was crap, outside of one of the five types of tacos I got.

ANother good taco spot is Taco Apson, just across the street from Pueblo. Their "Taco Apson" is carne, cheese and green chiles and is amazing.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bluefin is closing in May :(
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Went to Poco and Moms last night, got the green chili enchiladas too. Good, good stuff. I will be going back, even though it's a long drive.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Metzger in trouble with another restaurant LOL. This time GIO Taco downtown.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... -is-closed
News came about mid-day yesterday via Facebook that the Metzger Family Restaurant group had decided to close Gio Taco. Located off at 360 E. Congress St., the taco joint had opened just 15 months ago in the heart of downtown.

"Our take on tacos, inspired by the dynamic culinary traditions of the Americas, didn't earn the level of support that it needed for the restaurant to survive on the corner of Congress and Fourth," Metzger said in a statement.

According to the statement from Metzger and MFR, the business had hoped to remain open until the end of the month, but the closing is effective immediately, despite trying to reach an agreement with their landlord.

"We aren't too proud to admit that some concepts simply don't work," the statement goes on to say.

If you have gift certificates for Gio Taco, those will be honored at other MFR restaurants like Jackson Tavern and Poppy Kitchen.
They didn't close on their own accord, the Landlord shut him down for not paying his bills. The same thing that happened to Abbey. I love the part about "some concepts simply dont work." You mean going into incredible amounts of debt to try to make it back $2.50 at a time?

When will people stop loaning this guy money? Hes now lost 2 restaurants, has 2 left and I bet Poppy isnt around in the summer of 2016
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

This guy obviously doesn't understand you have to pay bills to run a restaurant. Gio taco was overrated. That space will get gobbled up quickly by another restaurant.

Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Jefe wrote:Metzger in trouble with another restaurant LOL. This time GIO Taco downtown.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... -is-closed
News came about mid-day yesterday via Facebook that the Metzger Family Restaurant group had decided to close Gio Taco. Located off at 360 E. Congress St., the taco joint had opened just 15 months ago in the heart of downtown.

"Our take on tacos, inspired by the dynamic culinary traditions of the Americas, didn't earn the level of support that it needed for the restaurant to survive on the corner of Congress and Fourth," Metzger said in a statement.

According to the statement from Metzger and MFR, the business had hoped to remain open until the end of the month, but the closing is effective immediately, despite trying to reach an agreement with their landlord.

"We aren't too proud to admit that some concepts simply don't work," the statement goes on to say.

If you have gift certificates for Gio Taco, those will be honored at other MFR restaurants like Jackson Tavern and Poppy Kitchen.
They didn't close on their own accord, the Landlord shut him down for not paying his bills. The same thing that happened to Abbey. I love the part about "some concepts simply dont work." You mean going into incredible amounts of debt to try to make it back $2.50 at a time?

When will people stop loaning this guy money? Hes now lost 2 restaurants, has 2 left and I bet Poppy isnt around in the summer of 2016

Dude's a mess, and I'm not convinced Jackson Tavern will survive the year either ...
Last edited by Reydituto on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've been hanging out at Vero Amore a bunch lately. Great for happy hour appetizers, wine and a nice patio.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I thought this was at least his third restaurant shut down? gotta be some shady stuff going down w this dude. I don't know how so many restaurants fail and you are still opening new ones up like it is nothing. I heard some other things that I wont repeat; who knows if they are true or not.

And GIO taco was wack. Only a few of the tacos were decent, they were small and overpriced. Place had no chance in any border state.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

True, I bet if you opened gio taco in Omaha or Milwaukee it would be hailed as an amazing restaurant.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

rgdeuce wrote:I thought this was at least his third restaurant shut down?
You're right, Abbey, GIO, and Jax. He has Poppy and Jacksons Tavern now. Havent been to either but I bet he is down to 1 soon.

He is losing valuable employees left and right as well. One of his former employees got out just in time and now runs Prep & Pastry. Might be the best brunch in town
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Jefe wrote:
You're right, Abbey, GIO, and Jax. He has Poppy and Jacksons Tavern now. Havent been to either but I bet he is down to 1 soon.

He is losing valuable employees left and right as well. One of his former employees got out just in time and now runs Prep & Pastry. Might be the best brunch in town
I live about a 5 min walk from Prep and Pastry and I have only been there twice...both within a month or two of it opening (it was awesome btw). That was over a year ago and since then I haven't been able to get near that place on the weekends. 8 am, 10 am, noon...didn't matter. There are always at least 20 people standing out front and hour plus wait times.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Exactly. I heard they are trying to take over the Abbey location btw. Prob not another P&P but a lunch/dinner spot ran by someone that actually knows how to balance a checkbook
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Jefe wrote:

Technically, The Abbey was owned and run by Metzger's ex-wife at the time of its demise, but did close for much the same reasons.

Best time to go to Prep & Pastry is after 1:30-2:00 pm for a late Brunch/Lunch ...
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Reydituto wrote:Technically, The Abbey was owned and run by Metzger's ex-wife at the time of its demise, but did close for much the same reasons
But while he still owned it, it shut down for 3 days because he wasnt paying his rent. Then he lost it in the divorce
gumby

Post by gumby »

ASUHATER! wrote:True, I bet if you opened gio taco in Omaha or Milwaukee it would be hailed as an amazing restaurant.
In Spokane, "too spicy!" None of the decent Mexican places last.
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Omaha or Milwaukee requires potatoes in all their Mexican food.

They're really big on ground hamburger in their burritos in Nebraska. No idea why, they taste terrible.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

My wife and I really liked Abbey. Great vibe and good food with menu that changed. Main issue as I understood it was husband/wife/divorce/finances.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Reydituto wrote:Technically, The Abbey was owned and run by Metzger's ex-wife at the time of its demise, but did close for much the same reasons.

Was ownership switched to her at some point though, maybe as things were looking bad??? ;)
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Jefe wrote:
Reydituto wrote:Technically, The Abbey was owned and run by Metzger's ex-wife at the time of its demise, but did close for much the same reasons
But while he still owned it, it shut down for 3 days because he wasnt paying his rent. Then he lost it in the divorce
That actually happened while the divorce - and a Chapter 11 bankruptcy - was still in progress. Smart bit of business by him to let that sinking ship go to his ex in the divorce actually ... As always, there's more to the story, but it's not my place ...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Omaha or Milwaukee requires potatoes in all their Mexican food.

They're really big on ground hamburger in their burritos in Nebraska. No idea why, they taste terrible.
During a trip the the Oregon Coast, my wife and I ate at a "Mexican" restaurant. I regularly rag on her for being a wuss with spicy food and even she thought it was bland. I've had spicier toast.

Other regions, it's just a neutered interpretation of the real.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

They don't get the spices right.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alton Brown is in Tucson today. Sounds like he couldn't get into Prep & Pastry:

-JB
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He went back. The hostess didn't know who he was
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Went to Gueros for his sonoran dog instead of Aqui Con El Nene :/
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Metzger loses his Exec Chef now :lol:

http://tucson.com/entertainment/blogs/c ... ?id=201408
The executive chef/general manager at McMahon's Prime Steakhouse is crossing the street on North Swan Road to become corporate chef for Metzger Family Restaurants — Jackson Tavern on North Swan Road and Poppy Kitchen at La Paloma Resort.

Gary Hickey, whose role will include overseeing developing menus for both restaurants and purchasing and vendor relations, will leave McMahon's in mid-April.

Hickey's arrival marks the departure of longtime and beloved Metzger executive chef Virginia "Ginny" Wooters, who is largely responsible for the menus at Jackson Tavern and Poppy Kitchen as well as Metzger's earlier restaurants Jax Kitchen and The Abbey.

Wooters three weeks ago was named executive chef at the three-month-old Pie Bird Bakery and Cafe, 177 N. Church Ave., downtown.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Nathan from Prep & Pastry is opening Commoner & Co in the old Abbey location at Sunrise/Kolb this summer

The owners of the popular midtown restaurant Prep & Pastry are opening a second restaurant this summer.

Commoner & Co. could open as early as June in the space that was once The Abbey, 6960 E. Sunrise Drive. It’s a place that Nathan Ares and his partners Brian Morris and William Meinke know very well after working for several years at The Abbey and for its parent company, Metzger Family Restaurants.

“There are so many of the guys and gals excited to get back in here,” said Ares. “We thought about making a run for this space because we were so tied into it. We love this space. I think this is the only project we would really touch in Tucson that wasn’t another Prep & Pastry.”

Ares and his partners — a fourth one, Brian Pracko, was not an Abbey veteran — are investing as much as $40,000 in renovations to the space including removing the old chalkboard wall and pulling back walls to open up the dining room.

The restaurant’s menu is still a work in progress, but it will borrow sensibilities from Prep & Pastry, 3073 N. Campbell Ave., a restaurant specializing in crafted modern comfort food that twists dishes as simple as a breakfast sandwich — sausage, egg and cheese between a biscuit or English muffin — to make it more complex: tri-tip subs for sausage and a house-made cheddar biscuit gets a slather of jalapeño jam to play off the peppery tones of arugula and buttery accents of scrambled eggs.

They’ll bring that sort of playfulness to Commoner’s menu, as well as a couple of signature Prep & Pastry dishes that will likely be reimagined. Ares said he anticipates a house-made pasta, a chicken entree and house-ground burger on a brioche bun made in-house to be among the offerings.

“We haven’t really dialed it all in,” he added.

But Ares said he and his partners have dialed in big plans for a weekday happy hour from 2 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.

“I think we are going to do a really big happy hour up here. That’s really missing in this area,” said Ares, who tended bar at The Abbey, Lindy’s on Fourth and in clubs and restaurants in Vegas.

In addition to featuring local beers (Ten Fifty-Five Brewing from Tucson and Historic Brewing from Flagstaff), Commoner & Co.’s happy hour will include a sangria program curated by award-winning Tucson mixologist/bartender Matt Martinez from downtown’s Scott & Co. and its sisters 47 Scott and Eat.Drink. “I’m asking Matt to give us three different ones: a dry, a red and a white,” Ares said.

Commoner & Co. will serve lunch and dinner daily and brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. Prep & Pastry serves breakfast and lunch daily and brunch on Saturdays and Sundays.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

excited to see how that turns out
UAEebs86

Mr. An to take over Social House location at Sam Hughes Plac

Post by UAEebs86 »

http://tucson.com/entertainment/blogs/c ... 3a231.html

Kwang C. An is opening an Asian restaurant and sports bar near the University of Arizona this summer.

An, best known as Mr. An from his TV commercials and years running restaurants in Tucson, hopes to open An-U in Sam Hughes Place, 446 N. Campbell Ave., by early August. It will take over the space that was most recently home to Social House Kitchen & Pub — nicknamed So-Ho — which closed at the end of March.

An, who owns his namesake Mr. An’s Teppan Steak, Sushi & Seafood, 6091 N. Oracle Road, said he is renovating the space and hopes to be finished by late July.

The restaurant will serve Asian cuisine and include a sports bar.

An, who also owns Great Wall of China restaurant on South Craycroft Road, said a grand opening will be in early August, before students return to the UA for the fall semester.
-JB
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Had no idea SoHo closed ...

Last time I was there last year before a FB game it was packed.

Guess, as usual, I was part of the problem ...