Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Venting Thread

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Hey Family,

when we are coordinating dates for you to come visit for my daughters birthday and I specifically say not to come on this day and that day and to fly in on this day due to previous personal and professional obligations and I remind you of this over 3 separate phone calls to each of you, how about we not book the flights for the exact opposite of what I requested/you asked.

Just because I am your son/brother, doesn't mean you can just drop in whenever your single life schedule allows.
On the same note, single people shouldn't have to schedule their entire lives and schedules around married people or people with kids. Goes both ways. If you have kids, your schedule isn't any more important than anyone else's, especially if they have previous personal or business obligations too. But in your case here your family members are definitely in the wrong by explicitly ignoring your suggestions.
My schedule may not be more important, but with two kids it certainly can be busier and more difficult to navigate. And my kids are WAY more important to me than your schedule. Sorry.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

when we are coordinating dates for you to come visit for my daughters birthday and I specifically say not to come on this day and that day and to fly in on this day due to previous personal and professional obligations and I remind you of this over 3 separate phone calls to each of you, how about we not book the flights for the exact opposite of what I requested/you asked.

Just because I am your son/brother, doesn't mean you can just drop in whenever your single life schedule allows.
On the same note, single people shouldn't have to schedule their entire lives and schedules around married people or people with kids. Goes both ways. If you have kids, your schedule isn't any more important than anyone else's, especially if they have previous personal or business obligations too. But in your case here your family members are definitely in the wrong by explicitly ignoring your suggestions.
My schedule may not be more important, but with two kids it certainly can be busier and more difficult to navigate. And my kids are WAY more important to me than your schedule. Sorry.
It's just a two way street like everything. In CSTs case his family is completely in the wrong since they're visiting him and he told them what works several times. If CST was visiting them, sorry, if doesn't matter if you have kids or not, you gotta work around the single person's schedule. Common courtesy. Having a wife or kids doesn't automatically make your schedule by default more important in all situations.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

It's just a two way street like everything. In CSTs case his family is completely in the wrong since they're visiting him and he told them what works several times. If CST was visiting them, sorry, if doesn't matter if you have kids or not, you gotta work around the single person's schedule. Common courtesy. Having a wife or kids doesn't automatically make your schedule by default more important in all situations.
Never fucken said my schedule is more important what my dads or sisters and of fucking course I would honor/adjust my plans to whoever I’m visiting and their life?

That’s what you got out of my post? That I thought single peoples schedules a less valued to my own?!?

I only dropped the “single” phrase cause that’s what these two party’s are and subsequent live their lives without an ounce of planning and then get huffy when you tell them why those plans won’t/can’t work for you based on your own obligations.

I should’ve been more frank and just called it out as it is, inconsiderate. But then it’s par for the course with those two who have a habit of marching to their own path and to hell with everyone else.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Take my family out of it....I have an all day work event in that I have to and actually want to go to and I specifically mentioned this as a reason why they should schedule accordingly.

So now they get to hang in sac for two days and not see my kids family, their choice.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote: My schedule may not be more important, but with two kids it certainly can be busier and more difficult to navigate. And my kids are WAY more important to me than your schedule. Sorry.
This.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think the disconnect is that single/childless people have a hard time understanding the difficulties a with-kids schedule can produce.

An example is that my neighbor who doesn’t have kids will text me last minute to go out sometimes. Love it. Appreciate the invite. Flattered you want to hang out. But I can’t just grab the wife and tell my two kids who are under ten to do their best to make themselves dinner and not burn the house down. There’s just no such thing as a last minute babysitter.

Another example is my wife’s crew of girlfriends. All have kids now and live in various suburbs except one. They let that one plan ladies night last month and it was a clusterfuck. After arranging childcare, train schedules and so forth for 6 women, she tried to change the day they were meeting up that morning. When everyone said that wouldn’t work, she changed the time to later. Then she changed the time AGAIN while my wife was on the train in. Why? The yoga class she loves got moved. It was no big deal to her to switch the dinner reservation to 9pm because she had no train to catch, kids to get home to, etc. Not malicious, just a disconnect between the life of a single city-dweller and the lives of suburban families.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I hate when people can't and won't communicate. I invited my friend who lives another state to a wedding in March. I invited her in December and she said yes. Been talking about it up to a week ago. Monday was a month away and I was gonna help her finalize her flight. I texted her that day and haven't heard back all week. I tried calling today and it went straight to voicemail. Were not even dating or have dated. We are just friends and I was there for her through her kidney cancer. We've been friends for 6 years. I don't care if you cant make it, what sucks is the complete silence. My generation is horrible at communicating.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I am a freelancer in the audio video corporate convention business. I work and resorts and convention centers all over the world. I am job to job. Most of my work is a week here and then back home for a few days and then repeat.

I just had a 7 day meeting cancel due to the coronavirus scare. And I am hearing this is just the 1st shoe to drop. The entire convention business is about to go away for the spring.

Fucking sucks not just for me but for this entire industry. I will be fine but there are so many people who don't make much money that are about to be totally fucked. I feel worst for them
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:I am a freelancer in the audio video corporate convention business. I work and resorts and convention centers all over the world. I am job to job. Most of my work is a week here and then back home for a few days and then repeat.

I just had a 7 day meeting cancel due to the coronavirus scare. And I am hearing this is just the 1st shoe to drop. The entire convention business is about to go away for the spring.

Fucking sucks not just for me but for this entire industry. I will be fine but there are so many people who don't make much money that are about to be totally fucked. I feel worst for them
Awful news. Just an unending series of knock-on effects from this. I feel small even talking about it, as my livelihood isn’t at stake, but I’m so disappointed not to be allowed to travel to San Diego for the ACSA National Architecture conference. I’ve been awarded a national Design Education Award for Design Build but I won’t be able to attend the ceremony to accept it. This is like our equivalent of the Oscars and I’m going to be stuck eating ramen in my apartment here in the UAE instead of meeting with old colleagues and enjoying the nightlife in SD.

I’m glad you’re positioned to make it through this dry spell. Time for a new hobby!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I am a freelancer in the audio video corporate convention business. I work and resorts and convention centers all over the world. I am job to job. Most of my work is a week here and then back home for a few days and then repeat.

Awful news. Just an unending series of knock-on effects from this. I feel small even talking about it, as my livelihood isn’t at stake, but I’m so disappointed not to be allowed to travel to San Diego for the ACSA National Architecture conference. I’ve been awarded a national Design Education Award for Design Build but I won’t be able to attend the ceremony to accept it. This is like our equivalent of the Oscars and I’m going to be stuck eating ramen in my apartment here in the UAE instead of meeting with old colleagues and enjoying the nightlife in SD.

I’m glad you’re positioned to make it through this dry spell. Time for a new hobby!

Ok... now I'm pissed. The company I was working for for this job (and I do lots of work with) just sent me an email on the procedure I need to follow to write them a check to cover the per diem money they sent me a few weeks ago.

Fuck You.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Ok... now I'm pissed. The company I was working for for this job (and I do lots of work with) just sent me an email on the procedure I need to follow to write them a check to cover the per diem money they sent me a few weeks ago.

Fuck You.
As if their insurance doesn’t cover that? Assholes...
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

My father had a stroke this week. Minor, but symptoms keep recurring intermittently and the drugs that work on most folks do not seem to be helping him. We've been in limbo for 5 days as he's 100% himself and good for an hour, then he has stroke symptoms for a minute or two and resolve before they can get him into an MRI to see where the problem is. They tried sending him home yesterday...when he stood up to get dressed he passed out and had a seizure...they lay him down in his bed a moment later he's back to himself. So frustrating.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Devil- I know it's not what you want to hear, but try to be patient. When my father had a minor stroke it took quite a while for his verbal function to return near normal. As for seizures, my wife's Uncle had violent and prolonged episodes that took a long time for Drs. to medicate properly. Sometimes dosing is very hard to dial in. Hang in there. We want so much to DO SOMETHING, but sometimes doing little to nothing is all that can be done. Best of luck.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

I was going to take 2 of my kids to Disneyland this week for spring break. I already took the time off from work. Now my wife is freaked out and made us cancel our trip because of coronavirus. Trying to figure out what to do with the kids for a week.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:

So this conference has been canceled as well. Hopefully they will hold it some time in a future post-corona crisis world. Or invite us all back at next year’s conference. The ramifications of this crisis are truly undefined at this point. So many things will be affected that we haven’t even considered yet.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There's so much heartbreaking news in this thread I'm just looking at for the first time in the past couple weeks. I'm sorry to all. UADevil, I'm so sorry. Take good care of your dad.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Fuck You.
For a conference that already happened?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Fuck You.
No, for a conference that I was supposed to be flying out for tomorrow.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Fuck You.
No, for a conference that I was supposed to be flying out for tomorrow.
Oh, okay. Here you go:

----

Dear friends,

Thank you for your helpful email. You'll be pleased to know I already spent that per diem money on a cooler full of meats to travel with and fry on the iron in my hotel room. Since my dogs are vegetarians, I'm unable to grill the meats at home.

I accept your apologies for the inconvenience, and I won't be charging you for the gas money I spent driving to Fry's to procure the meat.

With confidence,
Alieberman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I would love to send that email just to see what the response would be!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I would love to send that email just to see what the response would be!
It's an airtight email. There's nothing they could say!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Thanks to my employer booking us into Homewood Suites or Hilton Gardens when sending us on work travel, we're all Hilton Honors members. It's been this way for a while, and though I don't work-travel too much, I still accumulate enough "points" for free weekend stays about once or twice a year.

All was good until this year when Hilton started soliciting me for their Hilton Grand Vacation Ownerships (Timeshares). They called a few times, cheery as anything (but also relentless) to offer a free weekend in Vegas for attending one of their seminars, which I turned down until having to hang up one them.

Now when I check into certain Hilton properties the front desk is in on the game of trying to convince me to attend info sessions on buying timeshares. Fortunately I know better. Used car salesmen will hold onto my ID while scribbling enough numbers on a board to obscure what's really being sold - a lifetime of maintenance fees at a faraway property only usable one or two weeks a year.

Why is Hilton, a Fortune 500 company, in on the timeshare game??? I know they've probably sold timeshares for years now, but getting solicited all the time is like if my bank hounded me about using payday loans. Or a professor requiring students to all buy a textbook they won't use. Or a doctor prescribing meds you don't need.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Thanks to my employer booking us into Homewood Suites or Hilton Gardens when sending us on work travel, we're all Hilton Honors members. It's been this way for a while, and though I don't work-travel too much, I still accumulate enough "points" for free weekend stays about once or twice a year.

All was good until this year when Hilton started soliciting me for their Hilton Grand Vacation Ownerships (Timeshares). They called a few times, cheery as anything (but also relentless) to offer a free weekend in Vegas for attending one of their seminars, which I turned down until having to hang up one them.

Now when I check into certain Hilton properties the front desk is in on the game of trying to convince me to attend info sessions on buying timeshares. Fortunately I know better. Used car salesmen will hold onto my ID while scribbling enough numbers on a board to obscure what's really being sold - a lifetime of maintenance fees at a faraway property only usable one or two weeks a year.

Why is Hilton, a Fortune 500 company, in on the timeshare game??? I know they've probably sold timeshares for years now, but getting solicited all the time is like if my bank hounded me about using payday loans. Or a professor requiring students to all buy a textbook they won't use. Or a doctor prescribing meds you don't need.
"Well it looks like we have you down for an opportunity to learn about timesharing! Could we...."

"I don't know what you're talking about and I want you to shut up."

"Sir, okay, I was just...."

"I don't know what you're talking about and I want you to shut up."

"Well, if I...."

"I don't know what you're talking about and I want you to shut up and give me my fucking room key.."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I did a timeshare info session once in Mexico. We got a bottle of tequila and two vouchers for a zip lining tour out of it.

When we got there I asked for the tequila and the vouchers. They said they’d give them to us at the end. So I told them see you later. They ran and got the bottle and vouchers.

They told us it would take “about two hours”. I told them they had 120 minutes exactly so they better hustle. And sure as shit, at 10:00am on the dot I walked out with a bottle of tequila, a zip lining tour, and NO timeshare. Because fuck that shit. I’m going to sign up to pay a bunch of money every year for “my” beachside apartment that will never be available when I want it? Momma didn’t raise no dummy...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I can't get "The Longest Time" from Billy Joel out of my head.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:I told them they had 120 minutes exactly so they better hustle. And sure as shit, at 10:00am on the dot I walked out with a bottle of tequila, a zip lining tour, and NO timeshare. Because fuck that shit. I’m going to sign up to pay a bunch of money every year for “my” beachside apartment that will never be available when I want it? Momma didn’t raise no dummy...
See, I know myself well enough, and am honest enough with myself, to know that if these used car salesman get me into a conference with their dry erase boards and slick slide shows, I've ALREADY LOST.

Why?

Because I'm generally a non-confrontational person and not the alpha male type that responds with the aggression these salesman deserve. People like me are why Carmax exists.

I plan on NEVER getting roped into a timeshare conference. And shame on Hilton, who's already profiting from me, to try and dump their equivalent of a payday loan onto me! :evil:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote:I told them they had 120 minutes exactly so they better hustle. And sure as shit, at 10:00am on the dot I walked out with a bottle of tequila, a zip lining tour, and NO timeshare. Because fuck that shit. I’m going to sign up to pay a bunch of money every year for “my” beachside apartment that will never be available when I want it? Momma didn’t raise no dummy...
See, I know myself well enough, and am honest enough with myself, to know that if these used car salesman get me into a conference with their dry erase boards and slick slide shows, I've ALREADY LOST.

Why?

Because I'm generally a non-confrontational person and not the alpha male type that responds with the aggression these salesman deserve. People like me are why Carmax exists.

I plan on NEVER getting roped into a timeshare conference. And shame on Hilton, who's already profiting from me, to try and dump their equivalent of a payday loan onto me! :evil:
I’m in sales. So any time I can roundhouse kick a salesman in the jaw like what happens to me weekly, I take it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatsbyAZ wrote:

Why?

Practice on people who talk to you in the gate before boarding a plane. On the day David Bowie died I was in no mood, and a guy at SFO started talked to me about how much money makes as such a successful person. I told him I thought his life sounds horrible and his ambitions are meaningless and shallow, and I can't think of anyone I know who wouldn't be depressed to have to trade places with him. Then I found myself assigned to the middle seat next to him on the whole flight to ORD. Boy did I get the elbow rest.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Treating these creatures with human compassion is our first instinct, but it's inappropriate because in truth they don't take themselves or you seriously. They're like diseased zombie hookers who just move on to the next bag of meat that appears. Try grinning and lampooning the whole interaction. It works. Since they already know every personality type they might encounter, once you're IDed then it becomes a piece of sardonic performance art largely abbreviated because they know you're only in it for a lark.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Treating these creatures with human compassion is our first instinct, but it's inappropriate because in truth they don't take themselves or you seriously. They're like diseased zombie hookers who just move on to the next bag of meat that appears. Try grinning and lampooning the whole interaction. It works. Since they already know every personality type they might encounter, once you're IDed then it becomes a piece of sardonic performance art largely abbreviated because they know you're only in it for a lark.
Definitely true of the sales “professionals” in Puerto Vallarta. Lot of sloppy drunk expats counting down the hours until it was margarita time, which I’m guessing was 11am.

I didn’t feel bad being a dick because they work in paradise and probably sucker a bunch of old people with that last kicker.... “You can even leave it to your grandchildren in your will!”
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:
I didn’t feel bad being a dick because they work in paradise and probably sucker a bunch of old people with that last kicker.... “You can even leave it to your grandchildren in your will!”
That's my biggest WTF with these timeshare contracts - IN PERPETUITY!

The ability for Starwood or WorldMark to just raise their own maintenance fees without warning or protest is bad enough, but to force those onto the descendants is truly bad faith!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote:
That's my biggest WTF with these timeshare contracts - IN PERPETUITY!

The ability for Starwood or WorldMark to just raise their own maintenance fees without warning or protest is bad enough, but to force those onto the descendants is truly bad faith!
I imagine everyone at Great Aunt Gladys’s will reading praying they didn’t get the Time Life Collection of Wizard of Oz commemorative plates or the Pensacola timeshare that’s 4 blocks from the beach and only available the third week of school.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Whenever we're pitched in some ludicrous time suck manner my wife and I both trot out a hook from Mexico of over 30 years ago: "Have you been to Pacifica?!!"

It works as well as any gibberish question in response to dickhead sales pitches. He who asks the questions controls the conversation.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’ve never seen so many crane flies in Arizona. I just skip lunch and walk around with my mouth open.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's 6:40 AM and I'm already half way through my second cup of coffee.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:It's 6:40 AM and I'm already half way through my second cup of coffee.
I’ve been up since 430.

Just swamped at work...and there is never enough coffee.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The title company contacts me 2 hours AFTER the deed is recorded on closing day to tell me I can't get my funds because they haven't received a payoff statement from my mortgage company.

Information I could have used last week!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm gonna get several emails tomorrow cancelling several jobs over the next couple months.

At least I'll have March Madness to keep my mind off of it.....
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Who do I have to fuck to get off this planet?

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Who do I have to fuck to get off this planet?
Elon Musk.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Yep.... I'm basically unemployed for the next 2 months.... and counting
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dang, alieb, I’m really saddened to hear that.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Who do I have to fuck to get off this planet?
Elon Musk.
You never disappoint, Greg.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:
At least I'll have March Madness to keep my mind off of it.....
This feels like a set up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Was going to vent about a new couch that wouldn’t fit down the stairs to my basement and how I can’t watch my brand new 75” TV but then I realized I am a total fucking asshole and should probably shut the fuck up with my petty bullshit.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:Was going to vent about a new couch that wouldn’t fit down the stairs to my basement and how I can’t watch my brand new 75” TV but then I realized I am a total fucking asshole and should probably shut the fuck up with my petty bullshit.
Lol...the self deprecating vent, I love it!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Told my wife I really miss my Tundra and travel trailer. A month in the sticks sounds about right. Load up on guns and ammo, set up a free-fire perimeter and go full retard Walking Dead. Learn to make javalina jerky.

Darlin' it don't get no bettern' this.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Since I saw John Wick before Game of Thrones I found it unutterably satisfying to see Iosef Tarasov, who killed John Wick's puppy, turn into Theon Greyjoy and get his cock cut off.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I absolutely love grocery shopping. But I was excited to try Amazon Fresh given the situation. Amazon Fresh has available delivery windows during the 3 next 3 days and you cant schedule more than 3 days out. Oh well
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Netflix please quit e-mailing top picks for me.

Like I need to be reminded every day that it's Netflix and chill for the next 2 fucking months.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion