The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Just had a flash of memory from 1996 in Mesa when we parked our trailer at Venture Out and began to explore the PHX valley as a home destination. It took one month to decide that Tucson was way better. There was a killer German restaurant called Zur Kate that absolutely slayed us. Heavy, rich, sumptuous, delicious, copious food. Food. Coma. Every. Time.

My mind wanders.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Just had a flash of memory from 1996 in Mesa when we parked our trailer at Venture Out and began to explore the PHX valley as a home destination. It took one month to decide that Tucson was way better. There was a killer German restaurant called Zur Kate that absolutely slayed us. Heavy, rich, sumptuous, delicious, copious food. Food. Coma. Every. Time.

My mind wanders.
Mmm Zur Kate. Love that place.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Just had a flash of memory from 1996 in Mesa when we parked our trailer at Venture Out and began to explore the PHX valley as a home destination. It took one month to decide that Tucson was way better. There was a killer German restaurant called Zur Kate that absolutely slayed us. Heavy, rich, sumptuous, delicious, copious food. Food. Coma. Every. Time.

My mind wanders.
Mmm Zur Kate. Love that place.
Somehow I knew you would know of this place.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Never heard of it. Do they have good corn dogs?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We were a Bavarian Point, family.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:We were a Bavarian Point, family.

One of my old coworkers used to take us there a lot.

Is it still around?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Why don't you just tell me the movie you want to see?!
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When you think about good times in the past, you never really remember how bad you had to pee.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:When you think about good times in the past, you never really remember how bad you had to pee.
I have good memories of visiting a friend in Denver a few years back but I also remember having to get off the light rail to pee in a field next to it in 15 degree weather since I was seconds from pissing myself on the train.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

As I'm a witness, this actually happened two days ago in front of a big audience of children and their parents at the Fleet Science Center in San Diego:

A 350-pound man stood on the stage performing with a "showman's voice" and engaged his young audience with the wonders of science. As his act unfolded, he pointed to a bed of nails and explained in scientific terms why a bed of nails can't hurt you as long as you present the nail heads with enough surface area of your body. Before he lay down on the bed of nails, he drove his point home by jumping up and down on it, applying maximum impact on his big feet without any repercussions.

Then, suddenly forgetting the scientific principles he espoused, he went to lie down on the bed of nails by bending down and placing all of his weight on the point of a single knee. As the nail heads painfully penetrated his pants and his skin, he tried to save himself by reaching with his arms and propping himself on an inverted plastic tub he'd left on the adjoining stage. The bucket completely collapsed under his weight, causing him to fall off the high bed of nails and the stage, down through the air onto the audience below, crushing a small child beneath him. As he lied there suddenly disabled by the confusion of the accident, several parents rushed into the space left by screaming children who scurried away to save their lives, and the adults worked to lift the rotund performer off of the child who lied pressed against the carpet. The smashed child wailed loudly in pain as his parents picked him up and rushed him from the scene.

The performer finally picked himself up and resumed his now ridiculous showman's voice:

"This is unfortunate! But sometimes this happens! The show must go on!"

And then he picked up where he'd left off as I and every other parent grabbed our kids and took them as far away as we could.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

What a dangerous amateur. A professional would have blamed it on the insufficient surface area of the child and then returned to his day job at the Department of Justice.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
There's a professor of music composition who's gone off his rocker because of the lack of noise reduction measures taken there. He says he can't compose music while everyone else is playing music. He's become unstable. It might be him.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

"...........There's nobody to batter when your mind is your might
So when you go solo you hold your own hand
And remember that depth is the greatest of heights
And if you know where you stand then you know where to land
And if you fall it won't matter 'cause you'll know that you're right"

~ Wilhoit's Law
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

So I've been following this forum back when it was on goazcats and I believe another platform before that. So for about 20 years. I completely forgot that this board existed for the past couple years. I was mostly a lurker and did not post that much so probably not memorable. Still nice to see many familiar names. Like Facebook I decided to drop "The" from my username.
Sad that we are having another disappointing Wildcats season. I miss the glory days. I graduated from U of A in 99. Those were the days!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Welcome long time lurker!
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:Welcome long time lurker!
Thanks. I actually probably had a few hundred posts. Just nothing of much substance.
Speaking of Bavarian Point. I have never eaten there but I lived in East Mesa for a few years when I was a kid. Recently I decided to drive down to Superstition Ranch Market. It is just as I remembered it! I think Bavarian Point is still open too.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

OriginalAZ wrote:
Thanks. I actually probably had a few hundred posts. Just nothing of much substance.
Speaking of Bavarian Point. I have never eaten there but I lived in East Mesa for a few years when I was a kid. Recently I decided to drive down to Superstition Ranch Market. It is just as I remembered it! I think Bavarian Point is still open too.

A while ago I was thinking "what was the name of that German place in Mesa my work team used to go to all the time". Within a few weeks, it came up here.

Welcome back! Does that mean we should call you "not The Original AZ" now as we do with nTOSU? :D
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

OriginalAZ wrote:
Compared to us degenerates a few hundred posts is lurking

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Welcome back OAZ. Good to see you!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

OriginalAZ wrote:So I've been following this forum back when it was on goazcats and I believe another platform before that. So for about 20 years. I completely forgot that this board existed for the past couple years. I was mostly a lurker and did not post that much so probably not memorable. Still nice to see many familiar names. Like Facebook I decided to drop "The" from my username.
Sad that we are having another disappointing Wildcats season. I miss the glory days. I graduated from U of A in 99. Those were the days!
Welcome back! Totally remember you from GoAZCats. Back in the day...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OriginalAZ wrote:Thanks. I actually probably had a few hundred posts. Just nothing of much substance.
Rookie! I have probably 80,000 or so with nothing of substance. Probably 50,000 in the in game threads going "nice shot".
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:Thanks. I actually probably had a few hundred posts. Just nothing of much substance.
Rookie! I have probably 80,000 or so with nothing of substance. Probably 50,000 in the in game threads going "nice shot".
Amateur
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

"I'm an all-action man in anything I do," he once said. "If I'm drinking, I'm drinking until I can't stand up any more. If I'm going out for Chinese, I'm going to an all-you-can-eat Chinese. If I'm eating cake, I'm eating the whole cake. I don't know what you'd call me -- an idiot, maybe?" ~Tyson Fury

"Oi fookin' hate Pikeys."
"You're a sensitive boy, Tommy."

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It’s 1:15 pm on a Monday, I’m in good health, and the only reason I’m getting out of bed right now is to go to the fridge for something to eat.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

In an effort to distract myself from Corona shitshow I was re-watching S4 of Justified, and in the special features Graham Yost mentioned something I should have known but didn't: In 10 years more service men and women had killed themselves than had died in the War.

Human tragedy caused by accident is far outweighed by the tragic consequence of human project. When W dies I will remember that.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I didn’t know. But now that I do, I’m going to remember that now while W lives and paints those truly awful images made more awful by his own responsibility.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:I didn’t know. But now that I do, I’m going to remember that now while W lives and paints those truly awful images made more awful by his own responsibility.
I fucking hate W. That assholes war on science and truth and data and facts wrought what we are suffering from now.

W to the Trump as is Wuhan is to Covid19 Pandemic.

One begets the far worse other and the far worse other doesn't exist without the first.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Do you think there's an icutmywifeshair.com?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

For those missing sports.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm not going back to The Hill simply because it's too easy to get into fights with right wing morons. I tormented them for a while and got so many time-outs and bans that I just don't think it's worth it. I will miss sending them into tongue-tied fits of apoplexy. Perhaps I should cultivate another hobby. I like turtles. Maybe I'll raise turtles.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Speaking of turtles and random thoughts: My wife and I covet beyond expression our unapologetic revisitation of a memory of finding in Dove Canyon a baby desert tortoise the size of a silver dollar. So impossibly perfect, so inwardly massive in detail and frailty, our desire of it overwhelming, all actuated by accident, we succumbed to it there in my palm. It was damned hard to return it to an unlikely survival with but a human name in commemoration.

On return we scanned the plot in hopes despite ourselves indulgent. In our hearts it is still ours as much as we deserve, which ain't much.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I think I will omit my phone number when I fill out the online census form. Can anyone with more education in civics and civic duty suggest a reason to do otherwise?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Goodbye to Rosie, the Queen of Corona
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:I think I will omit my phone number when I fill out the online census form. Can anyone with more education in civics and civic duty suggest a reason to do otherwise?
I tried to omit it but the site wouldn’t let me.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:I think I will omit my phone number when I fill out the online census form. Can anyone with more education in civics and civic duty suggest a reason to do otherwise?

They know it anyway.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

They know it anyway.
Probably, but on the second refusal and submission the site accepted it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm enjoying staying at home and never going out ever.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:I'm enjoying staying at home and never going out ever.
I basically haven't left the house in 16 days. It's starting to go crazy.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Took a 3 hour hike today. Mountain bikers are as dangerous as E-scooter scumbags, but they're very polite.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ever read the ingredients on a sleeve of Mexican chorizo?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:Ever read the ingredients on a sleeve of Mexican chorizo?
Yup and it doesn't bother me one bit

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Ever read the ingredients on a sleeve of Mexican chorizo?
I bought the last tube of chorizo at Safeway today. Salivary glands and lymph nodes for the win.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And fat. Don’t forget the fat.

I was practically raised on the stuff and only today got the need to look.

Fed my daughters! They loved it!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

*shrug* everyone needs potato, egg, chorizo, and cheese breakfast burritos in their life.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:*shrug* everyone needs potato, egg, chorizo, and cheese breakfast burritos in their life.
I'll never forget my last meal out before the Black Death: carne seca burro, enchilada style at Micha's.

Maybe with the restaurants closed, we'll all become master home cooks of Sonoran cuisine.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:*shrug* everyone needs potato, egg, chorizo, and cheese breakfast burritos in their life.

Lol. That how last night happened....wife made homemade french fries but forgot to defrost the impossible burger patties. So I said I know what to do, and whipped up chorizo burritos with all the ingredients you listed scum!

Delicious! My wife, a vegetarian, had something with canned pinto beans.

My girls 5 and 3 aren’t big fans of spicy foods; but they loved the chorizo!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote: Delicious! My wife, a vegetarian, had something with canned pinto beans.

They do make soy chorizo, tastes the same and a lot less greasy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote: Delicious! My wife, a vegetarian, had something with canned pinto beans.

They do make soy chorizo, tastes the same and a lot less greasy.
I guess with that much spicing, the base doesn't matter as much.