Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Venting Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

Unbelievable. Fucking unbelievable.

Just found out an enterprise level project on the executive roadmap that I've been working on for a year was just torpedoed by our main vendor's sheer stupidity and laziness. They had specs for an integration for another 3rd party for 13 months. Just found out today a basic encryption algorithm doesn't jive between the two of them. This could end the entire thing and costs us upwards of 6 figures to back out of. Their engineers should've discovered this problem a year ago and despite their assurances that this project was on time without hiccups for the last year...it's dead in the water now. All because some engineer couldn't read the specs. I'm furious.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The vaunted efficiency of business. HAR!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:The vaunted efficiency of business. HAR!
We should run the government just like that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

And speaking of Credit Unions: spent two days getting shit sorted out at a new local CU wrt new CDs. Groan. They didn't know which credit reporting agency they use for the soft pull so I could temporarily lift a freeze. They didn't understand the operative parameters of Federal CD insurance. Between two people at the branch and two people at corporate they didn't know who was on first.

And some geniuses want to run government like business. HAR!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

In my previous experience it didn't matter which bureau you had to suspend the freeze on. If it was on any of them it would deny the application. That's many moons ago for me though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The inability of my front desk to learn never ceases to amaze me.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Accountant fired today at 3:30 PM. His new hire replacement was waiting downstairs... No bridge for continuity. No heads up. Just an all out war in the person's office, storm out, new hire walks upstairs.

This is hilariously depressing.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's impressive
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:In my previous experience it didn't matter which bureau you had to suspend the freeze on. If it was on any of them it would deny the application. That's many moons ago for me though.
I figured it was way below your pay grade, you being the cyber CEO and all 8-) . But it still annoys me considering the fact that I'm not applying, I'm depositing.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:In my previous experience it didn't matter which bureau you had to suspend the freeze on. If it was on any of them it would deny the application. That's many moons ago for me though.
I figured it was way below your pay grade, you being the cyber CEO and all 8-) . But it still annoys me considering the fact that I'm not applying, I'm depositing.
Wait do you mean you already have an account and are just trying to deposit funds?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hey Dove! Wife’s big EV holding today took at dump!

I’m laughing and can’t wait to see her response when I get home.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Wait do you mean you already have an account and are just trying to deposit funds?
No, we switched to a different local CU for the better CD rate. But all CUs require the soft pull on (CD) depositors as a SS# check. I get it, but it's annoying because we put freezes on our accounts with all three credit reporting agencies, and lifting the freeze at the one agency the CU uses is a hassle, especially when the CU uses one agency for loans and another for the soft pull on CD depositors, and the CU doesn't have enough spit in its mouth to train its people to know the difference.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Hey Dove! Wife’s big EV holding today took at dump!

I remember the feeling. Hope she cut and ran, like a good scalper must. (Keep her away from bio-pharma names. Holy shit!)

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
No, we switched to a different local CU for the better CD rate. But all CUs require the soft pull on (CD) depositors as a SS# check. I get it, but it's annoying because we put freezes on our accounts with all three credit reporting agencies, and lifting the freeze at the one agency the CU uses is a hassle, especially when the CU uses one agency for loans and another for the soft pull on CD depositors, and the CU doesn't have enough spit in its mouth to train its people to know the difference.
My cu doesn't even utilize credit bureaus for account opening verification anymore.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
My cu doesn't even utilize credit bureaus for account opening verification anymore.
I am in awe. You must be from the future!

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It's the simple things really
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:

I remember the feeling. Hope she cut and ran, like a good scalper must. (Keep her away from bio-pharma names. Holy shit!)
My wife just became a degenerate day trader

She just had her first big win off Nio and keeps buying shares!

Oh man.. :lol:
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

My wife just became a degenerate day trader

She just had her first big win off Nio and keeps buying shares!

Oh man.. :lol:
xpeng is going to ipo and be the next hot ev stock. I'm still holding onto my Tesla, up 6% today.

Edit: Oh, NIO up 15% today. Nice job!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And then like 12 yesterday

She go in at 11

Like the ipo tip, thanks!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

84, what’s your take on the upcoming Tesla split and what it will do to value medium term?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe wrote:84, what’s your take on the upcoming Tesla split and what it will do to value medium term?
It should have no impact on the price but the split obviously has as the price has been on a tear lately. The price is currently overpriced on a price to earnings ratio so I am at a loss. I'm a long term investor so I don't really care too much. Tesla has been growing at close to a 50% annual rate and I don't see that slowing down anytime soon. I think other investors believe Tesla will keep growing so they want in. Nothing else makes sense to me. All the tech stocks are going crazy. I have Apple & MS too. They are all at all time highs today. I wish I had Amazon & Netflix too as they are setting highs too.

Day trading is a whole different style of trading than I am familiar with. Takes nerves of steel to succeed with that and I freak out every time I buy stock. I don't think I could sleep at night doing day trading
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks man appreciate the info.

Yeah my wife’s been playing around with pennies and sub 5 dollar stocks but I think l she’s gravitating to high priced stocks with actual products.

I think we are both learning we are of the investor mentality, but it was fun watching Nio this week.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I’m just fucking tired. I know I’m not alone. But with with friends dying to start this week and what this week has stolen from us, and I know I’m still lucky, because my family is well and healthy and employed. But Jesus there’s just a weight it feels like I’m dragging and can’t shake free.

Be well, everyone. This entire earthly experiment is so fucking fragile but also burdensome.

Carry yourself with care and caution. Talk to people. Be real. Don’t let it build, because it becomes a boulder.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Red Cross: "Chicat!!! We desperately need your blood. Please give!!! We'll give you whatever you want, just please sign up to donate!"

Me: "Cool, I'll just look for a drive near me and donate ASAP."

RC: "Oh, haha... nah fam. The only drive that's near you with appointments available in the next six weeks is 170 miles away and you have to be there at 6 in the morning or 8 at night."

Me: ......

RC: "WHY HAVEN'T YOU MADE YOUR APPOINTMENT?!?!? PEOPLE ARE DYING YOU SELFISH FUCK!!!!!!"
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just got my 4th job search rejection email of the day.
Hey Chicat,

How are you? Please excuse the radio silence on coming back to you- it's been super busy on the hiring front!
Unfortunately, we have decided not to proceed to the interview stage. We have been fortunate enough to have a large pool of candidates who have experience within the digital/programmatic industry, something which we cannot flex on right now as the learning curve would likely be too steep.

Thanks so much for your time and interest in Fuckface Industries, wishing you the best of luck in your job search!

Bitchface McGee
Dear Bitchface,

I do have Digital/Programmatic experience. You never actually ever asked me about those things during our initial 15 minute bullshit interview. Please eat shit and die.

- Chicat
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

So I just got the keys to my new build house 12 days ago. We haven't even moved in yet but yesterday while visiting tje house I notice the carpets are wet in the master bedroom and closet. Also water leaking out the side of the house. Plumber comes out and has to cut the stucco and finds a stucco staple that made a hole in the Pex piping. Repair guy came today to fix all the water damage. This sucks for a brand new house.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

OriginalAZ wrote:So I just got the keys to my new build house 12 days ago. We haven't even moved in yet but yesterday while visiting tje house I notice the carpets are wet in the master bedroom and closet. Also water leaking out the side of the house. Plumber comes out and has to cut the stucco and finds a stucco staple that made a hole in the Pex piping. Repair guy came today to fix all the water damage. This sucks for a brand new house.
Brother, after they fix the cracked foundation slab and leaking skylights, and shore up the missing load-bearing wall post, after you buy all the window treatments your house will become better than new!

~ Wilhoit's Law
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:So I just got the keys to my new build house 12 days ago. We haven't even moved in yet but yesterday while visiting tje house I notice the carpets are wet in the master bedroom and closet. Also water leaking out the side of the house. Plumber comes out and has to cut the stucco and finds a stucco staple that made a hole in the Pex piping. Repair guy came today to fix all the water damage. This sucks for a brand new house.
Brother, after they fix the cracked foundation slab and leaking skylights, and shore up the missing load-bearing wall post, after you buy all the window treatments your house will become better than new!
This is my first new build and probably my last. All the shoddy construction and poor attention to details are driving me crazy. Not to mention all the expenses. Are there any good home builders out there? They all have bad reviews.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

OriginalAZ wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
This is my first new build and probably my last. All the shoddy construction and poor attention to details are driving me crazy. Not to mention all the expenses. Are there any good home builders out there? They all have bad reviews.
I've done three new builds. Avoid them if possible I say. Too many pieces, players, and permutations of accident and blame. Still, it's instructive how things that make you insane in time totally disappear amongst other tiny tragedies. Is it us or the thing that is the problem? Groan.

~ Wilhoit's Law
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
I've done three new builds. Avoid them if possible I say. Too many pieces, players, and permutations of accident and blame. Still, it's instructive how things that make you insane in time totally disappear amongst other tiny tragedies. Is it us or the thing that is the problem? Groan.
True my old house was built in 2003 and has wear and tear and imperfections and I don't seem to care. I guess when you buy something new you expect it to be perfect.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My dream is to build my own retirement home doing as much of the work as I can. What I can't do i will watch like a hawk.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The house we bought is 40 years old but I can honestly say I trust more about the guts inside and how it is built than some brand new construction.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:The house we bought is 40 years old but I can honestly say I trust more about the guts inside and how it is built than some brand new construction.
I agree with you. Builders now promise a lot but in the end just want to cut costs and do things quickly. Some of the baseboards in my new house look terrible. Not sure how they passed any sort of quality control.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My house was built in 1959, and the plumbing and electrical were upgraded some time ago.

The best thing about old houses though is big yards! Especially out here in CA, but I see new developments in Tucson with very small yards. Hello neighbor!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Absolutely. Out house has a third of an acre. Most new house lots are maybe 4000 square feet max.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Our house was built 12 years ago. We moved in 11 years ago.

Four years in we finally figured out why our floors and ceilings were constantly cracking. The architectural design was totally fucked up and it was literally falling in on itself. A new beam and multiple support posts later, it might actually stay standing.

How the fuck do you design and build a house that can’t stand up on its own?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:Our house was built 12 years ago. We moved in 11 years ago.

Four years in we finally figured out why our floors and ceilings were constantly cracking. The architectural design was totally fucked up and it was literally falling in on itself. A new beam and multiple support posts later, it might actually stay standing.

How the fuck do you design and build a house that can’t stand up on its own?
DIE PULTE HOMES! DIE! DIE! FUCKING DIE!

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:My dream is to build my own retirement home doing as much of the work as I can. What I can't do i will watch like a hawk.

It's obvious you know what you're doing. The only problem with that plan is you'll end up with a gorgeous, well built, unfinished house but you will either be in a prison cell or the loony bin. Other people exist, and they suck.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
azgreg wrote:My dream is to build my own retirement home doing as much of the work as I can. What I can't do i will watch like a hawk.

It's obvious you know what you're doing. The only problem with that plan is you'll end up with a gorgeous, well built, unfinished house but you will either be in a prison cell or the loony bin. Other people exist, and they suck.
Planning a small (1,000-1,200 sq ft) 2 bedroom 1 bath home on a couple acre lot. Highly insulated and net zero.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Outside of the lead and asbestos, I'd always pick a house built in the 50s or 60s over one built in the 2000s or 2010s.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

Planning a small (1,000-1,200 sq ft) 2 bedroom 1 bath home on a couple acre lot. Highly insulated and net zero.
We tried the 1 bath condo in San Antonio. Never again. My wife wouldn't need the head until I was en route, then it was like a dozen Keystone Cops trying to get into the cruiser all at once.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

We tried the 1 bath condo in San Antonio. Never again. My wife wouldn't need the head until I was en route, then it was like a dozen Keystone Cops trying to get into the cruiser all at once.

I was thinking the same thing. Even if I lived by myself I would require 2 bathrooms. Just in case something happens to one or you have guests.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

Well, I'm with you here. Ultimately I believe she'd be very happy with a master suite. I've already talked her out of a turret. Baby steps you know.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

Well, I'm with you here. Ultimately I believe she'd be very happy with a master suite. I've already talked her out of a turret. Baby steps you know.
When I lived in San Francisco, we had a 3rd floor flat in The Sunset. It was only one bath, but tub/shower was in one room, and the toilet was in a water closet. Pretty clever. My wife can take a shower while I take a dump, and not bother each other.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Fuck You Cox Internet!!!!!

Do I have any other choices for high speed?

4 outages in 3 weeks...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:Fuck You Cox Internet!!!!!

4 outages in 3 weeks...
Yeaaa my team was already short staffed this week and 2 of our specialists had outages and had to leave home and drive to the office today. Been a cluster.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

4 outages in 3 weeks...
I had Cox Gigablast at my old house paying $120/month but just got Century Link fiber Gigabit for $65/month at my new house. So far so good. I am getting around 900 mbps download speed over Wifi. I did have some very brief outages today only but for a couple minutes.
I don't think a lot of neighborhoods have it available though. A friend of mine contacted CenturyLink for internet at his new house and they said the top speed he could get is 1.5 mbps.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

4 outages in 3 weeks...
I had a COX guy at my house today installing Homelife and he said someone burned down an APS pole causing a lot of damage to some of their fiber network. He said whoever did it knew what they were doing.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

OriginalAZ wrote:

4 outages in 3 weeks...
I had Cox Gigablast at my old house paying $120/month but just got Century Link fiber Gigabit for $65/month at my new house. So far so good. I am getting around 900 mbps download speed over Wifi. I did have some very brief outages today only but for a couple minutes.
I don't think a lot of neighborhoods have it available though. A friend of mine contacted CenturyLink for internet at his new house and they said the top speed he could get is 1.5 mbps.
I wish I could get Century link but it looks like cox is the only thing available in my neighborhood.

It sucks
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:

4 outages in 3 weeks...
I wish I could get Century link but it looks like cox is the only thing available in my neighborhood.

It sucks
If you can't get fiber Century Link sucks.