The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by dovecanyoncat »

IMO the test of a burger is its second half. If I'm wearing it on my elbows and I'm on my fifth napkin then even if it tasted good it's more of a patty soup on a plate than a sandwich.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Imma just leave this right here. . .
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So I temporarily lost my driver’s license. Couldn’t find it anywhere for like a week.

When I went to see if I could get a replacement online, the DMV said I had renewed my license online previously so this time I’d have to show up in person at a branch.

Then I looked closer and it was showing that my license had expired on my birthday in May. So apparently I’d been driving on an expired license for months, which is really just an invitation to catch a beating from a cop since my skin tone is more brown than they usually can stand.

Fast forward a few hours of frantic re-searching for my license and I end up finding it! (Wedged way down deep into a crease on the side of my seat in the car)

And what does it say on my license? That it doesn’t expire until 2023.

What the fuck? The DMV system thinks I’m driving on an expired license while my actual license gives me another 2 years before I need to renew.

I’m on hold with them right now. No reason to give the high school losers who make up our police force a reason to use all the fancy equipment they’re issued to keep the undesirables in line.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

No worries Chi. I'm sure the cop would look at your actual license first.

And then give you a beating for altering your ID...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 am Nope, definitely not what I was expecting.

I was expecting at the very least that whatever water was in there would have separated from the oil and milk fats and all the fake plastic fillers leaving a toxic liquid at the top and a hunk of unidentifiable solids at the bottom.

At the worst, I figured it would look like an ASU frat boy’s Petri dish bacterial results from an STD test.

Jerk ;)
I am a jerk.

Fair enough. I think I generally assume packaged queso, non separated peanut butter, etc. are swimming in enough preservatives that they're basically immune to all environmental factors.

So in that vein, I wonder if we could combine the technology of Tostitos queso could be recombined into human body organs. If scientists could pull this off, human body function might be able to sustain itself indefinitely.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:28 am No worries Chi. I'm sure the cop would look at your actual license first.

And then give you a beating for altering your ID...
Or looking at him sideways.

Or breathing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:35 am
Chicat wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 am Nope, definitely not what I was expecting.

I was expecting at the very least that whatever water was in there would have separated from the oil and milk fats and all the fake plastic fillers leaving a toxic liquid at the top and a hunk of unidentifiable solids at the bottom.

At the worst, I figured it would look like an ASU frat boy’s Petri dish bacterial results from an STD test.

Jerk ;)
I am a jerk.

Fair enough. I think I generally assume packaged queso, non separated peanut butter, etc. are swimming in enough preservatives that they're basically immune to all environmental factors.

So in that vein, I wonder if we could combine the technology of Tostitos queso could be recombined into human body organs. If scientists could pull this off, human body function might be able to sustain itself indefinitely.
I’m gonna live forever.

Thanks Tostitos!!!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Since alcohol is also a good preservative, I now know the key to immortality!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's a good reason for AZ drivers licenses to not expire till age 65. I still have until 2051 to get a new one.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:35 pm That's a good reason for AZ drivers licenses to not expire till age 65. I still have until 2051 to get a new one.
I always thought that was so ridiculous. When I got my Arizona drivers license and the clerk told me congrats, you won’t need to get another one for like 45 years I asked her wasn’t it possible that a whole lot could change during that time as far as my ability to see and think? She just stared blankly at me. Meanwhile at the next line over a woman was reading the eye chart to her husband who was trying to memorize every line.

Good ol’ Arizona!!!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

What, you don't want to be on the streets when my 94 year old FIL is driving? He can only see out of 1 eye and can barely hear
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:46 pm What, you don't want to be on the streets when my 94 year old FIL is driving? He can only see out of 1 eye and can barely hear
I’d like to be about 250 feet behind him . . . just to see what happens.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Am I the only one here who's scared to go to the doctor's? I hate the conversation about why is my heart rate so high. It's because I'm panicking, if that's okay with you.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I love the doctor.

A) She’s really pretty.
B) She has no issue with prescribing me fun drugs.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chi's DMV moment reminded me that last year we all of a sudden noticed our plates were expired. The DMV droid said we would be charged a late fee for renewing.

"Aren't y'all supposed to notify us when our plates are getting old?"
"Yup, we sent you a notice."
"Show me."
"Says here we sent you a letter."
"Never got it."
"Went to Tucson."
"Haven't lived there for over seven years."
"Anything else I can do for you?"
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:36 pm Chi's DMV moment reminded me that last year we all of a sudden noticed our plates were expired. The DMV droid said we would be charged a late fee for renewing.

"Aren't y'all supposed to notify us when our plates are getting old?"
"Yup, we sent you a notice."
"Show me."
"Says here we sent you a letter."
"Never got it."
"Went to Tucson."
"Haven't lived there for over seven years."
"Anything else I can do for you?"
Sounds an awful lot like the conversation I had today.

“Sir, our system indicates your license is expired.”
“But I’m looking at it right now and it says 2023.”
“On my screen it says 2021.”
“I understand that, but my license says 2023.”
“Is there anything else I can help you with?”
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:55 pm I love the doctor.

A) She’s really pretty.
My doctor today wasn't entirely un-pretty, but he couldn't locate evidence for the heart condition I described, and he referred me to a psychologist for "intermittent anxiety."
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

“Is there anything else I can help you with?”
"Not if I can't shit in your mouth over the phone."

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:43 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:55 pm I love the doctor.

A) She’s really pretty.
My doctor today wasn't entirely un-pretty, but he couldn't locate evidence for the heart condition I described, and he referred me to a psychologist for "intermittent anxiety."
I feel like we may have different doctors.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:44 pm “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“You could die … and then I could deal with whoever takes the headset from your cold dead empty head.”
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:47 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:44 pm “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“You could die … and then I could deal with whoever takes the headset from your cold dead empty head.”
"Yes, I'd like my first vanity plate: FOFFDMV"

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Those of you who drink Coke/Pepsi out of a Can - what are you doing tapping on the top before opening it?

So many do this!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:00 pm Those of you who drink Coke/Pepsi out of a Can - what are you doing tapping on the top before opening it?

So many do this!
There is an urban legend that it stops it from fizzing over.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tapping the sides actually works.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It's something I picked up with cans of too warm, shitty beer in college...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I doubt I do it, but video surveillance would prove I do. At this point, it's like the dog who walks in tight circles before sitting down on a ceramic floor.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I feel like MythBusters did something on it.

Basically pressure builds and has no escape so it adheres to the metal. Tapping the sides causes the CO2 to release and rise to the top causing there to be gas on top of liquid. So when you open it, all the CO2 escapes out of the opening as opposed to rushing up from the sides and bottom taking the liquid along with it.

Ok, that explanation sucked, but that’s the gist.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I wish I can get back those 2 minutes of my life reading those last few posts...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:05 pm I wish I can get back those 2 minutes of my life reading those last few posts...
What would you do with those two minutes?

Try out an alternate ass wiping method?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:25 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:05 pm I wish I can get back those 2 minutes of my life reading those last few posts...

Here you go ECC:

viewtopic.php?p=117230#p117230
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm all ears if you got a good one, sure. Right now I've switched to the left hand wrap around. Working out quite nicely.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm all ears if you got a good one, sure. Right now I've switched to the left hand wrap around. Working out quite nicely.
I use toilet paper, but you do you Stinky…
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:33 pm

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If soy sauce on rice is wrong then I don't want to be right.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Is it really wrong?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Says the internet. I agree that correctly cooked short grain white rice is perfect and a blank slate and all that, but when it's brown, it's never good enough on its own. Whereas brown rice and white rice taste the same when you add a few drops of soy sauce to them. And it's always really good.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

All I eat is brown rice, at least at home. It's whole grain and hasn't the bran and germ removed like white rice. But no soy, it's extremely high in sodium, although I loved it when I had low blood pressure. Thanks a lot pandemic!

But is there a worse smell for those that love to hangout in their backyard like I do, than your neighbor using lighter fluid to start their barbecue?

Especially here in the Central Coast. How embarrassing if you have to use lighter fluid. Makes me gag. Just an awful smell.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why on earth does anyone use lighter fluid? It smells and it's kind of scary, and it doesn't work as well as a chimney thing.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I literally just ate a big pile of brown rice 2 days ago. I couldn't handle it on its own.

So I made a sauce of equal parts light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, chingkiang black vinegar, and a few drops of toasted sesame oil. That really made it perfect.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've also never used lighter fluid as an adult. Have this and a bunch of old packing newspaper. Works like a charm.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:30 pm All I eat is brown rice, at least at home. It's whole grain and hasn't the bran and germ removed like white rice. But no soy, it's extremely high in sodium, although I loved it when I had low blood pressure. Thanks a lot pandemic!

But is there a worse smell for those that love to hangout in their backyard like I do, than your neighbor using lighter fluid to start their barbecue?

Especially here in the Central Coast. How embarrassing if you have to use lighter fluid. Makes me gag. Just an awful smell.
But it's an iconic Boomer olfactory memory trigger, like Sea 'N Ski.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:41 pm I literally just ate a big pile of brown rice 2 days ago. I couldn't handle it on its own.

So I made a sauce of equal parts light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, chingkiang black vinegar, and a few drops of toasted sesame oil. That really made it perfect.
I really like that chingkiang black vinegar.

For brown rice, I stand by this Japanese person's (Nami) super easy recipe where you soak it 6-12 hours and cook it in the Instant Pot:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/instant-pot-brown-rice/

I use this rice both for white and brown:

https://www.amazon.com/Sukoyaka-Brown-R ... 218&sr=8-2

It comes out sticky and it tastes pleasant. The problem is that the bran basically conceals the aromatic, cereal-y flavor you get with the white rice. So I feel like nothing's lost if I flavor it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:43 pm I've also never used lighter fluid as an adult. Have this and a bunch of old packing newspaper. Works like a charm.

I remember when my chimney was new and looked like that. Now it's all beat up and dulled and dirty and dented, like something left in the bottom of the truckload of salvage junk hauled by Sanford & Son.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My cats are kleptomaniacs.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If that's your yard, where are all the ridiculous weeds from these rains? My gravel yard if fully green. It's literally covered in tall grasses.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

You guys remember those dude mags Maxim, FHM, and Stuffed? I remember those being a big thing through the 2000s when I was finishing up high school. Are they still around? Haven't come across one in a LONG time. Last issue I can remember noticing had the bottle blonde from Big Bang Theory on its cover (2008?). Wondering if all the Instagram modeling has made Maxim obsolete.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:49 pm You guys remember those dude mags Maxim, FHM, and Stuffed? I remember those being a big thing through the 2000s when I was finishing up high school. Are they still around? Haven't come across one in a LONG time. Last issue I can remember noticing had the bottle blonde from Big Bang Theory on its cover (2008?). Wondering if all the Instagram modeling has made Maxim obsolete.
Last one I remember seeing is the Jessica Biel one when she was on Seventh Heaven and wanted to get off the show.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I had that issue.

Big fan.