The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Sometimes you just get lucky. I wasn't the one who wrecked our car.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Famous people… they’re just like us!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Like that's what keeps me awake at night.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Post shower dumps are the worst. #firstworldproblems
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I love spicy hot food. But if too hot, I can't taste the flavor.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I like spicy but I'm probably a wimp compared to a lot of people. I want to be somewhat sniffly and watery at the end of the meal, but not coughing and needing to chug milk. So basically when ordering Thai food I order a 3 on the spicy scale when it's a 0-6.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For those of you who don't have a child of your own to love, let me explain to you what it's like.

You don't love your own child a hundred times more than you love your pet.

You don't love your child a gazillion times more than you love your pet.

You love your child about three times as much as you love your pet. If you love your pet, loving a child isn't beyond imagination.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You ever notice how people who labor under the burden of an east coast accent have mouths that are visibly warped by their efforts to make all those weird sounds?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:36 pm You ever notice how people who labor under the burden of an east coast accent have mouths that are visibly warped by their efforts to make all those weird sounds?
I feel personally attacked.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

But you don't labor under the burden of an east coast accent.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:36 pm You ever notice how people who labor under the burden of an east coast accent have mouths that are visibly warped by their efforts to make all those weird sounds?
This is shockingly accurate
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:03 pm But you don't labor under the burden of an east coast accent.
Much like Gwyneth Paltrow, I’ve worked very hard to cultivate the erudite accent I display to the world.

But in all seriousness, I have no accent because I spent my formative years split between Los Angeles and New York and my adult years in the Midwest. I doubt I have any accent at all . . .

. . . until I get pissed. And then all of a sudden there are R’s in words that shouldn’t have them and no R’s in words that should.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My mother in law removes R's, adds R's, and changes O's to A's, A's to E's, and I's to O's, and O's to U's. I have to focus so much on converting the sounds and reconstituting words, I can't put together the meaning she's trying to convey. If it's tiring for me, it must be exhausting for her to keep making all those changes in real time.

A friend of mine's father was telling me a hunting story and nonsensically kept saying "I'll ask her" until I figured out he was just trying to say "Alaska".
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tennis is absolutely the second greatest sport on the planet only behind basketball.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:52 pm Tennis is absolutely the second greatest sport on the planet only behind basketball.
Have you ever experienced the sheer insanity of Hurling?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:16 pm
Longhorned wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:52 pm Tennis is absolutely the second greatest sport on the planet only behind basketball.
Have you ever experienced the sheer insanity of Hurling?
My guess is the reason why it's The Whitest Sport on Earth is because people who move to Europe look at it and say, "the Fuck?"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Although the Scots are the black sheep of Europe…

Neil deGrasse Tyson had a debate on his show about which sport took the most hand/eye coordination and one person said Table Tennis and another said Fencing and the whole time I was thinking “Yeah, but none of those sports feature alternating hand and stick dribbling a baseball while an insane Scotsman tears after you trying to slam you in the face with a wooden mallet so I’m gonna go with Hurling.”

PS - I tried briefly to get a Hurling club sport started at UA but whenever I would explain to people that it was basically field hockey on meth they’d slowly back away from me.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 pm Although the Scots are the black sheep of Europe…

Neil deGrasse Tyson had a debate on his show about which sport took the most hand/eye coordination and one person said Table Tennis and another said Fencing and the whole time I was thinking “Yeah, but none of those sports feature alternating hand and stick dribbling a baseball while an insane Scotsman tears after you trying to slam you in the face with a wooden mallet so I’m gonna go with Hurling.”

PS - I tried briefly to get a Hurling club sport started at UA but whenever I would explain to people that it was basically field hockey on meth they’d slowly back away from me.
It's like a baseball? I thought it would be like a tennis ball. This is like that moment I realized that water polo is played in deep water, and the players only look like they're standing in shallow water because they're that fucking amazing at treading water.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yeah, it’s a hard ball. They just make it neon green because no one would be able to see it otherwise because it gets whipped at like 120mph.

Basically, everything in that game can kill you.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Rice Krispies are underrated. The more you think about it, the more you should replace rice with Rice Krispies. Also, instead of garnishing something with sesame seeds, garnish it with Rice Krispies. Including sushi.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:38 am This is like that moment I realized that water polo is played in deep water, and the players only look like they're standing in shallow water because they're that fucking amazing at treading water.
One of the most vicious sports in the world. My daughter used to play in high school, and it's amazing what goes on underwater. The boys team wore two swimming trunks for that reason.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Forgive my random thoughts for descending into the trash of Family Guy's humor, but I wonder if when Stephen Hawing farted in his wheel chair if it has the same electronic dissonance as his voice generator?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is there any chance that listening to sports on the radio is underrated? And that the full 1930s experience gives you something TV broadcasts can't?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:17 pm Is there any chance that listening to sports on the radio is underrated? And that the full 1930s experience gives you something TV broadcasts can't?
I listened to many hundreds of Detroit Tigers baseball games for years during the late 1960's and early 1970's on the radio, George Kell and Ernie Harwell come to mind.

Great for those long humid summer days in Michigan, and putting myself to sleep at night.

My dad still puts the radio on to hear UA basketball games with the TV on, whenever Bill Walton announces.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If you can find them, listen to old radio broadcasts of boxing matches.

The pictures those men painted with their words are amazing.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I can remember listening to the thriller in Manila. I would still rather watch it though
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:34 pm I can remember listening to the thriller in Manila. I would still rather watch it though
My gosh, what a boxing match. Sure were the glory days back then. Don't think I have seen a boxing match since Tyson's early days.

Just sensitive now to violent sports and the damage to boxers. Jerry Quarry was generally always punch drunk when seeing him on TV.

Don't watch MMA either although my oldest son and his girl love it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:15 pm
84Cat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:34 pm I can remember listening to the thriller in Manila. I would still rather watch it though
My gosh, what a boxing match. Sure were the glory days back then. Don't think I have seen a boxing match since Tyson's early days.

Just sensitive now to violent sports and the damage to boxers. Jerry Quarry was generally always punch drunk when seeing him on TV.

Don't watch MMA either although my oldest son and his girl love it.
Jesus, Jerry Quarry. That dude. Haven't thought about him in decades.

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i listen to the live radio feed while i watch the games on TV (muted) all the time, especially baseball - its my preference

and, Chi - my dad and i used to listen to fights on the radio growing up on friday nights all the time - i think thats where i fell in love with it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I feel like I've tried radio feed with muted TV and the timing was all off. I should try again.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm I feel like I've tried radio feed with muted TV and the timing was all off. I should try again.
I think there's a way to change the delay on streams if you get your radio that way, but I haven't looked into it in a while.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm I feel like I've tried radio feed with muted TV and the timing was all off. I should try again.
Live TV is delayed 7(?) seconds due to the possibility of swearing. Although my internet streams are way slower than that.

But we can still read lips.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I should be more humble and grateful. I need to remember that things can always be much, much worse than they are and that every day many, many others dream of having a life that resembles mine.

I had to have my car for use tomorrow so I picked up my unrepaired car having learned that another customer whose car is newer than mine must wait at least six months for a part coming from Great Britain. I drove to the grocery store and then home in an affluent town in the wealthiest country on earth passing half a dozen fellow citizens begging for money.

I should be more humble and grateful.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m home alone for the first time in what feels like years. And it’s gonna last for at least another hour.

I don’t know what to do with myself.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:54 pm I’m home alone for the first time in what feels like years. And it’s gonna last for at least another hour.

I don’t know what to do with myself.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m the master of … something.

BTW, the answer to what to do with myself was “hit a bomber joint and get really fucking high and watch a movie.”
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My wife's been working at home for a year and a half, and she doesn't drive, so I literally haven't been home alone for a year and a half.

I used to just travel alone for weeks or months at a time. Just reading a book while drinking a beer on a hotel balcony was an everyday happening. Room service!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Being home alone was glorious. Made me want to schedule the wife a spa day and play dates for the kids so I could do it again on a weekend.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

You should
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just as long as you also milk it as being for her and them out of generosity from you.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Starting today I will be kinder and spread good works and help the naked.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:01 am Starting today I will be kinder and spread good works and help the naked.
Admirable

Will this go beyond stopping yourself from pointing and laughing?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:01 am Starting today I will be kinder and spread good works and help the naked.
Is this an art thing? Classical nudes? Post-modernist? Performance nudes?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Maybe a mistranslation but as a child in church, I was curious about all those naked people I was to encounter as a Christian.

But in all my years, I've encountered precisely one publicly naked person, outside Isla Vista. Even then, it was at Coachella. The cops had him handcuffed behind his back while they desperately tried to conceal his genitals with a baseball cap. It's a strange thing to apprehend someone for not being enveloped in fabric.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Still life with ball cap.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Got my booster poke today: feel a touch punky. Went to Trumptown Cottonwood for our first dental checkup in two years. Saw a Shiteater drive by with Mullet Mafia on the side of his pickup. I must be getting old because I just don't wanna know.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Gross