Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

77HoyaCat4Ever

Re: Venting Thread

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Visionless, effed up state leadership:

LO QUE PASA:

Arizona passes state budget, deeper cuts for higher education

Early Saturday morning, the Arizona Legislature passed a $9.1 billion state budget that includes $99 million in cuts to higher education, an increase to the $75 million originally proposed by Gov. Doug Ducey, but less than the $104 million cut advanced Wednesday by legislative leaders.

The allocation for the cuts is based on student FTE at each university, consistent with the governor’s first budget proposal. The reduction for the UA is $28.2 million, $53.2 million for Arizona State University and $17.2 million for Northern Arizona University.

The proposed budget also eliminates state funding for community colleges in Maricopa and Pima counties.

‪#‎SeriouslyArizona?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:Visionless, effed up state leadership:

LO QUE PASA:

Arizona passes state budget, deeper cuts for higher education

Early Saturday morning, the Arizona Legislature passed a $9.1 billion state budget that includes $99 million in cuts to higher education, an increase to the $75 million originally proposed by Gov. Doug Ducey, but less than the $104 million cut advanced Wednesday by legislative leaders.

The allocation for the cuts is based on student FTE at each university, consistent with the governor’s first budget proposal. The reduction for the UA is $28.2 million, $53.2 million for Arizona State University and $17.2 million for Northern Arizona University.

The proposed budget also eliminates state funding for community colleges in Maricopa and Pima counties.

‪#‎SeriouslyArizona?
So who will vote for politicians ready to raise taxes?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ugh...

Offering to jump on a project that turns out to create more work with little foreseeable payoff.

Huge miscalculation on my part...Ends up not meeting FINER-G criteria.

(Feasible, Innovative, Novel, Ethical, Relevant, Good for my Career)
gumby

Post by gumby »

We have a paucity of acronyms in my career. WTH!!
Right where I want to be.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

azgreg wrote:This god damn adhesion capsulitis (frozen shoulder) is kicking my ass.
Hey Greg, I'm sure you know you gotta get with great PT quick to crack it. Don't let it get you, man! Good wishes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just got done grading 60 midterms. After doing this for about 7 years, I can say that the Fighting Illini are, for the most part, about as sharp as a bag of yogurt.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:I just got done grading 60 midterms. After doing this for about 7 years, I can say that the Fighting Illini are, for the most part, about as sharp as a bag of yogurt.
Don't you mean yoghurt?

Besides, don't you have any hot TAs to do the grading for you?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I just got done grading 60 midterms. After doing this for about 7 years, I can say that the Fighting Illini are, for the most part, about as sharp as a bag of yogurt.
They're about as tarp as a shack huh?
Mr.Zebra

Post by Mr.Zebra »

Why in the world would you send me to have blood work done, that gets mailed off, to a place that you know doesn't accept my insurance? So after nearly 2 weeks of waiting, when I'm thinking "hey my blood work should be almost done, I wonder what the results will be" I get a letter from the testing company that says "sorry dude, we don't accept your insurance, give us a call". Then upon calling them, I'm informed that they offer reduced fees based on income but that it will be anywhere from 250 to 800 dollars. What. The. Fuck. If I had 250-800 dollars laying around I'd probably, oh I don't know, pay down some of my soul-crushing debt. Instead, I'm forced to cancel the test and leave a message with the assistant at the doctor's office.

Fuck you, whoever decided that we shouldn't just all have healthcare taken care of. Thanks for nothing you bastard.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Mr.Zebra wrote:Why in the world would you send me to have blood work done, that gets mailed off, to a place that you know doesn't accept my insurance? So after nearly 2 weeks of waiting, when I'm thinking "hey my blood work should be almost done, I wonder what the results will be" I get a letter from the testing company that says "sorry dude, we don't accept your insurance, give us a call". Then upon calling them, I'm informed that they offer reduced fees based on income but that it will be anywhere from 250 to 800 dollars. What. The. Fuck. If I had 250-800 dollars laying around I'd probably, oh I don't know, pay down some of my soul-crushing debt. Instead, I'm forced to cancel the test and leave a message with the assistant at the doctor's office.

Fuck you, whoever decided that we shouldn't just all have healthcare taken care of. Thanks for nothing you bastard.
If you wanted to not have to worry about whether your insurance covers stuff you should have been born rich . . . or Canadian.

Bet you won't make that mistake again...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Hey, University of Illinois!

This is me flipping off you with more fingers than I can have and in every way I know how.

Fuhuhuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.

Fucking Crying Illini losers...
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Tomorrow. . .blargh.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Tonight I made the rare decision and picked work over family and I'm not happy with myself. Totally misread the situation. Fortunately, I am blessed with a loving and supportive wife, the real mess is in my own headspace, and I will learn from this.

That being said, I doubt I'll ever go to dinner with a colleague, no matter how close our relationship, who I turned down a job offer from ever again.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm officially "checking out" of my job. Since I can't be fired, I'm no longer serving those assholes. I'm doing research and teaching, and that's it. It will be nice to work only 60 hours a week instead of 80.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:I'm officially "checking out" of my job. Since I can't be fired, I'm no longer serving those assholes. I'm doing research and teaching, and that's it. It will be nice to work only 60 hours a week instead of 80.
Well 20 of that already is Arizona message board work...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I'm officially "checking out" of my job. Since I can't be fired, I'm no longer serving those assholes. I'm doing research and teaching, and that's it. It will be nice to work only 60 hours a week instead of 80.
Well 20 of that already is Arizona message board work...
Doesn't everyone take breaks? Who works every hour of the day straight? Hell, I don't know. Maybe everyone but us.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Rains are causing mice. I think one is trapped in the wall. Won't leave that space. Found some tracks in the deep recesses of a nook space.

I'm pretty pissed. I keep all food in thick plastic bins, so they have nothing to munch on. I bought one of those electric wall plugin eradicators and some glue pads and bait traps.

I keep thinking of that Newsradio episode where the office "pet" mouse turned out to be a few dozen mice.

Please, God, no...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Oh, he'll come out.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:Oh, he'll come out.
:lol:

That was a great thread at TOS.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Previous Mouse Trap RAP champion ready to help out if a new trap design is needed
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I was told be previous tenant they had mice, but they were slobs who left dog food out in garage, etc. I cleaned every inch of the house upon moving in, searched for entry areas, covered them, and kept food in plastic tubs in the pantry unless in glass or tin housing.

He have proper drain covers, vent covers.

So I'm not really sure what to do. I'm hoping over the next few days the eradicator forces them out and they get stuck on glue pads near the bait boxes I laid.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Food poisoning...oh God.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Oh, he'll come out.
:lol:

That was a great thread at TOS.
Yep, still there, pics and all.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=129361
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Haven't heard or seen new evidence or lingering evidence. Put bait and traps in high traffic areas, no new tracks, no nibbles of bait, no triggering of capturing in traps.

Not sure what this means.

I was thinking of getting some of those sticky traps, putting some cheese in middle and seeing if that draws them out. Probably do this in garage.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:Haven't heard or seen new evidence or lingering evidence. Put bait and traps in high traffic areas, no new tracks, no nibbles of bait, no triggering of capturing in traps.

I was thinking of getting some of those sticky traps, putting some cheese in middle and seeing if that draws them out. Probably do this in garage.
Most likely it means they have a food source. Something you weren't thinking of when you put something somewhere, and that they keep returning to every night instead of following the trap bait. One time for me, it was the parrot's bag of dry food, kept in another bag down in the sub-grade level. Another time, it was some vacuum-packed packages of imported pumpernickel bread kept on the lowest shelf of a cabinet, whose door the mouse could open. Still another time, it was the food inside the parrot cage, which the mice could climb up and into by way of the sheet that covers the cage at night.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

No pets, no pet food, and all food is in enclosed bins in pantry, or tin/glass containers.

Dishes are done pretty much nightly, and at the very least rinsed off/out.

No random fruit or bread on counters.

Done the best to be proactive. Got lazy with pizza cheese packets in a drawer. That won't happen again.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

God damn it! I hate going to the dentist.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Olsondogg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I don't post too much personal stuff in the internet, but I need a release. Yesterday, my wife had a miscarriage after 9 weeks of pregnancy. We have a 2 year old son, who is a better kid than any parent deserves...but this loss is devastating for my wife and I. Looked so forward to expanding our family and now we are coming to terms with the loss.

I know that "things happen for a reason" and we will "get through this"...but today the pain is palpable.

After 38 years on this earth, some shit never makes much sense.

For any dude that's been through this, I feel your pain. For anyone's wife, or sister or mother or friend that's had this happen to her...give her a hug and tell her you love her.

So I just wanted to revisit this, and probably not the best thread for it...but my wife is actually 11 1/2 weeks pregnant. We had an ultrasound this week and everything looks completely good and perfect. I have not let myself get excited until now...and have kept this a secret from everyone including close family cause I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

But thinking back to this post makes me appreciate the good fortune we've had. We are so excited and blessed again.

Just thought I'd share.

After 23 hours of labor, my second son was born on Wednesday morning. I don't know how I've been so blessed, but I am. Say hello to my (2nd) future wildcat:

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Congrats ODogg! Cute kid.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Home improvement projects with a dad and wife.

One has less attention to fine details that I would like, while the other has too much.

I'm the ringleader and/or grunt depending on the situation...

Fun times.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

You know what really grinds my gears?

People on Facebook or linked articles with comment sections who just 'tag' or post the name of the person they want to see the article/post at the comment. I read an interesting piece, go to the comments to see what people are discussing, and 75%+ of the posts are just fucking names posted. So damned annoying. SHARE the post, don't comment on the post by just posting your friend's name!
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Fairly sure this fellow would like to vent. . .
Huskies have seriously expressive faces.
VoltronX

Post by VoltronX »

JMarkJohns wrote:Haven't heard or seen new evidence or lingering evidence. Put bait and traps in high traffic areas, no new tracks, no nibbles of bait, no triggering of capturing in traps.

Hey man, You gotta do what you gotta do.. and I am certainly not a huge animal rights activist or anything... but about 10 years ago, my mom put down some sticky/glue traps to catch a mouse. Well it caught it... It was a lot more horrifying than anyone thought it would be.

It's really hard to explain, but its limbs were bent out of a comfortable zone and its head and everything were stuck. It looked very painful and I'm not sure I could ever use one again. My family feels the same way.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do.. but just beware. Surely, there's gotta be another solution.. I think the other mouse traps are probably better/quicker.... If not, don't let your family see the end result.. Handle it right away. Might want to be prepared to kill it as soon as you can, because its horrible to see it suffering.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

You gotta used Longhorned's peanut buttered can trap.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My mother works for American Airlines now and lives in Dallas. She flies whenever she wants...this is a good thing and a curse.

She announced on Thursday she was flying in for the weekend...which wasnt too bad as hell 2 whole days notice is pretty good with her. I'm expecting to pick her up from the airport at 3 pm today.

I sleep in late today for the first time in a long time (woke up at 945) and I see an email from her at 815 saying she is boarding a plane and is that ok? Umm I guess so as that gave me 20 mins to get ready and leave for the airport. There went my relaxing morning with my new fiance. She's understandably pissed too.

I wish she would get a job where she couldn't travel 1000 miles as easily!
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Protip: Set some boundaries with your Mom. Tell her you need a weeks notice and don't be afraid to say no if you want to. It will hurt her feelings at first, but it will make your life a lot easier.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASUCatFan wrote:Protip: Set some boundaries with your Mom. Tell her you need a weeks notice and don't be afraid to say no if you want to. It will hurt her feelings at first, but it will make your life a lot easier.
That's a lot easier said than done with our mom hah.

ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

It was with mine too. Trust me, she'll be upset for a while and then she'll get over it. You don't want to be those guys who are afraid to say no to their mother.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What ASUCatFan said.

If you don't do it now, it will only get worse and more difficult and potentially more sh*t storm inducing for you and your nuclear family (Ie, SD, SD's future wife, and any future kiddos) when you are older and married.

Sack up, set appropriate expectations with mom, deal with the minor few days/weeks of fallout, and move on.

Trust me.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My fucking back!!!

I've had back issues since I was about 20, but since I've turned 40 it's really become bad. I've gone to chiropractors, had massages, gone to a spinal specialist, Ben put on meds, taken physical therapy... But nothing works.

Fuck!!

and it's been feeling decent for the last few weeks, but I had a flair up yesterday. My main problem is that I can't sit down for long periods of time without agony. And I'm about to go on a road trip...

Fuck!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:My fucking back!!!

I've had back issues since I was about 20, but since I've turned 40 it's really become bad. I've gone to chiropractors, had massages, gone to a spinal specialist, Ben put on meds, taken physical therapy... But nothing works.

Fuck!!

and it's been feeling decent for the last few weeks, but I had a flair up yesterday. My main problem is that I can't sit down for long periods of time without agony. And I'm about to go on a road trip...

Fuck!!!
Same here. Diagnosed with degenerative discs between L2, L3, L4, and L5. Received a total of 16 shots (spinal epidurals) during 4 sessions over a 6 month period.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Road trip as in you're the driver? What do the doctors recommend for managing it while you're on a road trip?

Also, I think that now that we're in our 40s, we have to make serious changes that, on the surface, sound like drastic decisions. Like, the doctors might say, "Don't go on the road trip." And we scoff, "Ha! Easy for you to say. If I don't go on this road trip, this entire project will fall apart, and I'm immediately expendable." But after surviving just this last road trip (and paying any consequences), maybe we need to figure out the long-term alternative, and let people know.

John Madden couldn't fly, and so he went all over the country in an RV. You need to look your higher-up in the eye and tell him, "I am the John Madden of all video operations." And then pick up an apple off his desk and crunch into it menacingly, chewing with your mouth open like a horse.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:

Fuck!!

Fuck!!!
Same here. Diagnosed with degenerative discs between L2, L3, L4, and L5. Received a total of 16 shots (spinal epidurals) during 4 sessions over a 6 month period.
Did the epidural help? I've had trigger point injections but they didn't help at all. My next plan is epidural
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:Road trip as in you're the driver? What do the doctors recommend for managing it while you're on a road trip?

Also, I think that now that we're in our 40s, we have to make serious changes that, on the surface, sound like drastic decisions. Like, the doctors might say, "Don't go on the road trip." And we scoff, "Ha! Easy for you to say. If I don't go on this road trip, this entire project will fall apart, and I'm immediately expendable." But after surviving just this last road trip (and paying any consequences), maybe we need to figure out the long-term alternative, and let people know.

John Madden couldn't fly, and so he went all over the country in an RV. You need to look your higher-up in the eye and tell him, "I am the John Madden of all video operations." And then pick up an apple off his desk and crunch into it menacingly, chewing with your mouth open like a horse.
It's a family vacation road trip so yes I'll be doing most of the driving. Kids can't quite reach the pedals yet

My plan of action is to constantly have an ice pack on my lower back. When it's numb I'm somewhat ok. We will be driving with a cooler full of ice and I will alternate ice packs, keeping 1 on ice while the other is on my back

Living the dream!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Fuck!!

Fuck!!!
Did the epidural help? I've had trigger point injections but they didn't help at all. My next plan is epidural
Worked great. before there were times when my wife had to put my shoes and socks on for me. No I just have times when my back feels a bit stiff and sore, but I'm playing golf again and doing all the things I want to do. Now if I over do something I'll pay the price for it, but I'm quite happy with the results. My ortho guy still thinks I'll need surgery at some time, but I'm holding off for that as long as I can. I'm thinking the longer I wait the better the technology gets.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

In a new twist of the "Dear John" letter, I received a welcome letter from an institution that will remain nameless congratulating me (by full name) on becoming full-time faculty. Yes, full-time. Said they were excited for my contributions to academics and committees.

Turns out, it's a mistake. Oops! Didn't mean to include anything involving full-time.

Cool.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:In a new twist of the "Dear John" letter, I received a welcome letter from an institution that will remain nameless congratulating me (by full name) on becoming full-time faculty. Yes, full-time. Said they were excited for my contributions to academics and committees.

Turns out, it's a mistake. Oops! Didn't mean to include anything involving full-time.

Cool.
UCSB hired me as a Lecturer to teach 5 courses over the academic year. According to the offer letter, my annual salary was to be $42,000. What the letter did not specify is that 9 courses constitute full time, and therefore my income (as opposed to my annual salary) was to be 5/9 of my annual salary, and therefore $23,300 for the year. In Santa Barbara, California. I didn't realize that until I got my first paycheck, upon which I realized I could not afford to make rent. I sunk into such depths of credit card debt over the year that I couldn't have a normal life for the first several years of having a tenure-track job.