azgreg

Re: The Weather is Crazy

Post by azgreg »

Chi, is this your new house?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Looks cozy.

Got up to 17 above zero briefly yesterday. Felt downright balmy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have seen snow plenty of times over the last 10 years or so but it has been at least that long since I have actually been in a snow storm. I am jealous of the cold and snow you guys get sometimes. Would take that over AZ summers 100% of the time.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Not me. It was as cold a New Year's Eve in freaking Los Angeles as I ever want to experience. We gave up seeing anything else at Disneyland by 8 p.m.

Just huddled in our hotel beds for warmth listening to the fireworks outside. That's too cold.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

maybe not arctic Wisconsin level cold like where my gf is from...last I saw yesterday the high temperature was -1 degree.

I wouldn't mind living somewhere where it is constantly in the teens-40s for half the year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:I have seen snow plenty of times over the last 10 years or so but it has been at least that long since I have actually been in a snow storm. I am jealous of the cold and snow you guys get sometimes. Would take that over AZ summers 100% of the time.
Snow is great . . . as long as you have nowhere to be.

I don't mind the cold, but when it gets stupid cold (the other morning it was -8, -30 with the wind chill) it's tough to take if you have to do anything outdoors, like shovel/snowblow your driveway. It's that "oh my god I'm going to die" cold that seems to hurt your bones no matter how many layers you're wearing.

I do like it that we have seasons though. Our summer this year was magnificent. Especially sitting on the back porch, sipping on a cold beer, soaking up the warm sun, and remembering that just a few short months before it was snowing sideways daily and it was too cold to do anything outside for more than a few minutes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I have seen snow plenty of times over the last 10 years or so but it has been at least that long since I have actually been in a snow storm. I am jealous of the cold and snow you guys get sometimes. Would take that over AZ summers 100% of the time.
Snow is great . . . as long as you have nowhere to be.

I don't mind the cold, but when it gets stupid cold (the other morning it was -8, -30 with the wind chill) it's tough to take if you have to do anything outdoors, like shovel/snowblow your driveway. It's that "oh my god I'm going to die" cold that seems to hurt your bones no matter how many layers you're wearing.

I do like it that we have seasons though. Our summer this year was magnificent. Especially sitting on the back porch, sipping on a cold beer, soaking up the warm sun, and remembering that just a few short months before it was snowing sideways daily and it was too cold to do anything outside for more than a few minutes.
I think that's what I mean more than anything...seasons. Living in AZ all 29 years of my life means I have never really experienced "seasons". Sure I've visited every corner of this country all times of the year but to me I only truly know "HOT" season and "NOT HOT" season. Eh.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, "seasons" and "green" are nice things. Read about 'em.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We have seasons here. We just choose to skip the shitty one.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Shyte. . .. :shock:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My garage door is frozen open. I had to leave it that way when I left my house last Wednesday. I got back today and it's still frozen open.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:My garage door is frozen open. I had to leave it that way when I left my house last Wednesday. I got back today and it's still frozen open.
Mine has issues opening, which is a shitload better than having issues closing. You will notice a difference in your utility bill for this month.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:My garage door is frozen open. I had to leave it that way when I left my house last Wednesday. I got back today and it's still frozen open.
Mine has issues opening, which is a shitload better than having issues closing. You will notice a difference in your utility bill for this month.
And the number of items you keep in your garage.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
And the number of items you keep in your garage.
You mean because somebody will steal the items in my garage? Who would risk the icy driveway to steal garage items?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote:Yeah, "seasons" and "green" are nice things. Read about 'em.
I grew up in the Midwest and have to say seasons are extremely overrated. Hate the cold of winter, winds of springs and fall and the humidity of summer. The sights and sounds of fall were nice but you knee old man winter was just around the corner.

Going to be 72 here today.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Merkin wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Yeah, "seasons" and "green" are nice things. Read about 'em.
I grew up in the Midwest and have to say seasons are extremely overrated. Hate the cold of winter, winds of springs and fall and the humidity of summer. The sights and sounds of fall were nice but you knee old man winter was just around the corner.

Going to be 72 here today.
Agreed. I like snow, but it is pretty infrequent compared to the rest of the winter days where it's freezing and merely overcast or sunny. Spring is still cold as fuck and wet and windy beyond belief, spreading mother nature's seed everywhere. Fall is pretty good though I guess, with the cool down post-summer and nice scenery. There's really only two small periods of good weather in VA...when spring turns to summer and when summer turns to fall. Shit sucks, especially since I love to golf. Hell my HOA pays for a community pool and the damn thing is barely open 2.5 months out of the year, that tells you all you need to know.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I agree with the last two posts. I don't miss the weather at all. I do miss the green and the lakes. And I miss Wrigley Field. Other than that I will vacation there for a week or two during the summer. You can keep all the rest.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

If you never grew up with seasons you long for them.

Also it is crazy foggy in Tucson currently
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I lived in LA from the time I was 3 until I was 11, so when I moved to NY the seasons were an absolute wonder. Heck, the fact that it rained at least a couple of times a week was totally foreign to me. And then later in life I spent some years in Tucson and New Orleans, so I'm a fan of seasons. But for me, they get old quickly. There's that feeling of newness whenever we get the first snow, first buds on the trees, first warm, humid, stormy day, and the first leaves to change. But then the cold, wind, heat, and rain start to wear on me and I long to live somewhere more temperate.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I live along the City of New Orleans train line, so I can wake up any day in New Orleans, Memphis, Jackson, or Chicago. No reservation ever needed. If I have to go to work today, my coat is thick, my boots are lined, and my hat is of rabbit fur. I come home to my frozen garage in my house in the pines, in the pines, where the sun don't ever shine, and I shiver the whole night through.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My girl, my girl, where will you go
I'm going where the cold wind blows
Longhorned wrote:where the sun don't ever shine
I never knew you could have snow on the ground and the sun being out at the same time until I moved to CO. Just days and days of gloom. Arizonans should check out the movie Fargo for what it looks like it winter.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

When the sun is out here, you know it's going to be super extra fucking cold. Last night it went down to -6. Clouds actually trap some of the sun's warmth, so it keeps the temps up at least a little. When they clear out, any of that remaining heat radiates back into the sky.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup. Easiest way to know it will be cold is if it rains/snows during the day and firing the evening or night it clears out and then the next day will be way colder.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My girl,
My girl,
Don't you lie to me,
Tell me where did you sleep last night.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Starting to look like a near mirror of last year in Tucson. "Winter" is over by early January with way above average temps the rest of Jan, Feb, Mar. The 10 day period between Jan 25 and Feb 3 is forecast to be about 10-20 degrees above average with some temps in the low to mid 80s.

Sigh
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:Starting to look like a near mirror of last year in Tucson. "Winter" is over by early January with way above average temps the rest of Jan, Feb, Mar. The 10 day period between Jan 25 and Feb 3 is forecast to be about 10-20 degrees above average with some temps in the low to mid 80s.

Sigh

Same out here in CA. A very warm and unfortunately dry winter. Here's a branch of one of my apple trees. I still have leaves from last year, but now the buds are starting to swell already from this year.

Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Merkin wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Starting to look like a near mirror of last year in Tucson. "Winter" is over by early January with way above average temps the rest of Jan, Feb, Mar. The 10 day period between Jan 25 and Feb 3 is forecast to be about 10-20 degrees above average with some temps in the low to mid 80s.

Sigh

Same out here in CA. A very warm and unfortunately dry winter.
Good post about the unusual winter we have had here:

http://www.weatherwest.com/archives/2853
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Sigh
Move dude. :lol:
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Salty wrote:

Sigh
some of us have stable careers and obligations like mortgages and can't just live a hobo life like yourself saltsters.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Salty wrote:

Sigh
some of us have stable careers and obligations like mortgages and can't just live a hobo life like yourself saltsters.
Yeah, because no other city in the country has banks.

And you can sell the house, genius.

Move to Buffalo or Cleveland. Somewhere cold and bitter, like your soul.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Can't sell a house worth half the outstanding principal balance saltsters. Did you move to Austin yet or was that another lie?

Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:Can't sell a house worth half the outstanding principal balance saltsters. Did you move to Austin yet or was that another lie?
Sure you can.

Or just rent it out.

Not yet, coming weeks.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

last week you said you were moving this week? or am I mistaken?
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:last week you said you were moving this week? or am I mistaken?
My last day at my current job is today.

I was supposed to be gone by Feb 1st, but it will probably be a little after that now. I'm guessing middle of February.

Don't worry, I'll take pictures and catalog all of this for you so you wont have any doubts.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Meanwhile it was 82 at my house on Saturday, 81 Sunday.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

overcast and a good chance of rain in tucson today. was pushing 80 yesterday though which is almost 15 above average.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Nor'easter blizzard bearing down on us in CT. Should be a fun next 24 hours.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I just barely made it out of New York before the blizzard.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:Nor'easter blizzard bearing down on us in CT. Should be a fun next 24 hours.
Hope you don't have to go anywhere.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

its raining here this afternoon in SoCal -- crazy for sure
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:Nor'easter blizzard bearing down on us in CT. Should be a fun next 24 hours.
Hope you don't have to go anywhere.
I have to go to Atlanta every week Mon-Thur...I changed my flight at 4:00am Monday because the locks on the door would have been changed if I left.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Beautiful day up north...
Attachments
Where I Work
Where I Work
image.jpg (113.61 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I'm in the middle of the Central corridor in Phoenix, just off Central Avenue. It's in the mid-70's. Rode my bike to work today and it was very pleasant.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Catintheheat wrote:I'm in the middle of the Central corridor in Phoenix, just off Central Avenue. It's in the mid-70's. Rode my bike to work today and it was very pleasant.
Yep. Nice little rainfall we got last night. Will get some more Thursday night/Friday morning.
Salty

Post by Salty »

It has been absolutely perfect out today.

Or, as SD86 might say, completely miserable.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yep, too warm.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:yep, too warm.
It's 72, sunny, and there's a slight breeze.

In other words, perfect.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

By 72 you mean 78