Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Chicat »

Grilled some chicken/bell pepper/onion/pineapple skewers marinated in a hoisin garlic pineapple juice teriyaki marinade that I made up on the spot and holy shit it was delicious.

Also, Trader Joe’s frozen veggie fried rice never disappoints.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tacos from Calle Tepa.

While watching the Taco Chronicles on Netflix.

And finishing the last episode and crying that it's over because it's fucking amazing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I made a $70 a pound domestic wagyu ribeye steak and it was a revelation. I don't regret not paying $95 a pound for Japanese wagyu because that's about cattle scarcity, not quality.

I'm struck by this idea (not mine) of buying smaller quantities of more expensive, high quality steak, and eating less of it. In the end, it costs the same, but the experience is out of this world. It was $50 for about 3/4 pound. I've paid more than that and had what my doctor would say is too much steak, and it was never ethereal like this.
Last edited by Longhorned on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's *generally* my rule of thumb when it comes to beef and pork lately. We so rarely eat it (maybe once or twice a month at most) that when I do make it, I'd rather buy something that's nicer quality. I'm avoiding buying a choice cut of beef or some factory slaughtered pork from the Fry's meat section ever again.

I'll bite the bullet on wagyu at some point, but that's not happening any time soon with the wife on (unpaid) leave from work with the baby.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I hear you but last night I got take out from Zayna, a mediocre middle eastern restaurant, and it was close to $60 including tip. I've gotten so much take out because we've been busy, and it's so expensive. Wagyu is even easier than cooking a regular steak. A loaf of bread and a salad, and boom - 5 minute home cooked meal that's memorable.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We have 3 freezers and a huge pantry full of stuff like an insane amount of premade meals, rancho gordo beans, nice meats, trader joes staples, homemade stock, a billion kinds of pasta etc. I'm working through all that first while I'm on leave from work. We've only done takeout once a week do far actually.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Btw, have you had caravan grill on country club? Best baba ghanoush I've ever eaten.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:02 pm I made a $70 a pound domestic wagyu ribeye steak and it was a revelation. I don't regret not paying $95 a pound for Japanese wagyu because that's about cattle scarcity, not quality.

I'm struck by this idea (not mine) of buying smaller quantities of more expensive, high quality steak, and eating less of it. In the end, it costs the same, but the experience is out of this world. It was $50 for about 3/4 pound. I've paid more than that and had what my doctor would say is too much steak, and it was never ethereal like this.
I can't manage more than 6 ounces of beef in one sitting anymore.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:13 pm I can't manage more than 6 ounces of beef in one sitting anymore.
Same here, I order a small sirloin or filet now because of my stomach issues.

Once in my UofA days I ate the 2 pound T-Bone at Lil Abner's. I think that would kill me now LOL.

Can't imagine what it would be like to stuff yourself full at one of those Brazilian steakhouses. Talk about the meat sweats.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pussies

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We stopped there once on a trip back to the Midwest - saw a trucker trying to get the free meal. You have to eat everything.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:06 pm Btw, have you had caravan grill on country club? Best baba ghanoush I've ever eaten.
Love that place. They make a killer burrito gyro as well
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:55 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:13 pm I can't manage more than 6 ounces of beef in one sitting anymore.

Once in my UofA days I ate the 2 pound T-Bone at Lil Abner's. I think that would kill me now LOL.

Can't imagine what it would be like to stuff yourself full at one of those Brazilian steakhouses. Talk about the meat sweats.
Those Brazilian steakhouses have amazing salad bars and side dishes. And then as soon as you gesture an interest in those, all the Brazilians you're with say, "Nooooo! That stuff is for suckers! You're here to fill up on meat!"
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:38 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:55 am

Those Brazilian steakhouses have amazing salad bars and side dishes. And then as soon as you gesture an interest in those, all the Brazilians you're with say, "Nooooo! That stuff is for suckers! You're here to fill up on meat!"
There was one 5 minutes from us in San Antonio. Rarely did I ever go the meat route because the market table was copious and interesting and well worth the cost.

Also, apropos another thread, a slimly meat poop post shower is to be avoided.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dinner tonight:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No offense but that looks like shit on a shingle.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's an inmate's photo of his recent dinner in a Texas prison. But my dinner from New Dehli Palace was analogous.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Based on something I heard David Chang say in a passing comment in Ugly Delicious, I'm turning his memory of a favorite childhood dish into a taco.

Flour tortillas

Boneless chicken thighs (hopefully with skin) marinated in Shaoxing wine and soy sauce, then dipped in flour, and then dipped in egg and cooked in oil in the pan. Keep them as big pieces, like half the thigh.

Dressed with grilled green onions and Kewpie with Sriracha.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:32 pm Based on something I heard David Chang say in a passing comment in Ugly Delicious, I'm turning his memory of a favorite childhood dish into a taco.

Flour tortillas

Boneless chicken thighs (hopefully with skin) marinated in Shaoxing wine and soy sauce, then dipped in flour, and then dipped in egg and cooked in oil in the pan. Keep them as big pieces, like half the thigh.

10/10
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I like the simple creativity. Chicken thighs are probably the tastiest, most foolproof, and versatile cut of meat on the planet. It's probably my most consumed animal protein by a very wide margin.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:13 pm
Longhorned wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:32 pm Based on something I heard David Chang say in a passing comment in Ugly Delicious, I'm turning his memory of a favorite childhood dish into a taco.

Flour tortillas

10/10
Would they be better or worse deep fried?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm going to postulate it would be worse deep fried if the outer layer is egg. Probably too wet
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, the outer egg would make no sense if it were deep fried. David Chang seemed to think it was a surprising recipe. It reminded me of Japanese Oyakodon, which I guess means "mother and child" because of the chicken-egg combo. But I did it like in the photo he showed, where it's all piled high in a dish and covered with softened green onions. I guess you'd need a knife and fork instead of chop sticks, but I wanted to wrap it and hold it my hands so we could sink our teeth into it. It's something I'd never think of but it was such comfort food.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chinese Lion's Head Pork Meatballs With Vermicelli and Bok Choy
geo plotter
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That's a dinner! Looks fantastic
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It was pretty damn good. Used some roasted chicken stock I made a few months back from the freezer, that made it perfect.

https://www.seriouseats.com/lions-head- ... oup-recipe
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sole Meunière except with arctic char.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Where's the fish from?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Black pepper crusted seared rare ahi partially ceviched in citrus first. Paired with fresh nectarine.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:41 pm Where's the fish from?
Flora's. Every day but Monday, there's a good 1-2 solid choices surrounded by a lot of sad choices. Usually, the arctic char looks sad. Yesterday, everything looked great. The arctic char was like it could be Yuri's. $18 a pound.

Fish has been really expensive there. A decent salmon or a striped sea bass is $35 a pound. Dry scallops are $50 a pound.

The bread has improved. It's not like Time Market's bread, but you can't buy meat and fish at Time Market, and for me it's not on the way.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Have you picked up any fresh seafood from JPS on 12th Ave?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:04 am Have you picked up any fresh seafood from JPS on 12th Ave?
No, I'd like to. Just haven't found the time for the drive. Not close to home, work, or the kid's school.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

1/3 pound sous vide and seared grass fed burgers topped with home grown jalapenos, white american cheese, thick cut bacon, pickles, and a couple big dollops of creamy peanut butter.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Just picked 90 ears of corn, cooking some, giving a lot away, usually freeze a bunch but not this year. Had lots of help keeping it all together this past year.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:30 pm 1/3 pound sous vide and seared grass fed burgers topped with home grown jalapenos, white american cheese, thick cut bacon, pickles, and a couple big dollops of creamy peanut butter.
Creamy peanut butter? One of my favorite sandwiches since I was 5 is baloney and peanut butter. Whenever I've convinced anyone to try it, they've admitted it's a damn good sandwich. I'll have to try the PB on a burger.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:46 pm
scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:30 pm 1/3 pound sous vide and seared grass fed burgers topped with home grown jalapenos, white american cheese, thick cut bacon, pickles, and a couple big dollops of creamy peanut butter.
Creamy peanut butter? One of my favorite sandwiches since I was 5 is baloney and peanut butter. Whenever I've convinced anyone to try it, they've admitted it's a damn good sandwich. I'll have to try the PB on a burger.
Yep. Jif natural creamy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The wife made her quiche lorraine. I'm about to sit down and eat real well.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Velveeta, cheddar, broccoli, chicken and rice casserole. Put some msg in it and grilled up the chicken. 10/10
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Black beans and rice with chicken.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My dad made some homemade bratwurst and pretzel hot dog buns and I cooked up the wurst with a bath of O'Dell Oktoberfest beer, onions, mustard, thyme, paprika, butter and beef broth and washed it all down with a La Cumbre Oktoberfest beer. Man this is always one of the best food combos out there and makes me pine for the pre covid times of going to the Sun Sounds beer fest at TEP here in Tucson with SD86 and the crew.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Based on my memory of a roast rabbit in Nafplio, Greece:

Chicken thighs rubbed in salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon. Roasted with chopped tomatoes with a little cinnamon and lots of olive oil.

Over rice pilaf

It's all I had in the house and then with all the flooding, I hunkered down with this.

Wish me luck
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Sounds good. I used a galbi style marinade on some old top sirloin steaks in the freezer. Sous vide then grilled over charcoal. Served with bibb lettuce, rice, ssamjang (homemade), and oi muchim (Korean chile and sesame marinated cucumber).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My neighbor made a brisket yesterday.

It was heaven.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Buffalo chicken stuffed bread braid thingy courtesy of the wife. Made some fatty buttermilk ranch to go with it.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That look scrumptious.

Time Market dinner tonight:

Bottle of Rioja
Baguette
Spanish chorizo
Heirloom tomatoes
Baby lettuces
Manchego
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Had some mahi mahi fish tacos. Marinated the fish in olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. Cooked on the cast iron griddle on the stove and topped with cabbage, homemade salsa, cilantro, feta cheese (didn't have any crumbly mexican cheese), and a sour cream/lime/green chile sauce.
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Feta always works, and vice-versa.

Was that a salsa you made in the blender?