If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicago deep dish is good, it just doesn't qualify as pizza. It's a baked casserole type dish.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Chicago pizza isn't pizza; it's an overcooked yet gelatinous pancake above-ground pool with 23 unidentified things swimming in greese (cheese+grease). I'd sooner eat grout compound.

There's also Chicago thin crust which is delicious.

Had it at both Giordano's and Geno's East in Chi-Town.

Rosati's does a decent version too.
Sounds to me like Rocco's is thin crust, which is the real Chicago pizza. Chicagoans don't eat deep dish pizza.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Chicago pizza isn't pizza; it's an overcooked yet gelatinous pancake above-ground pool with 23 unidentified things swimming in greese (cheese+grease). I'd sooner eat grout compound.

OK, I'll admit never having tried thin crust Chicago. Mea culpa. Does it come in minimalist versions? I detest pizza piled with the garbage disposal contents, the forever soup pizza landfill. Anything surpassing the Margherita composition by more than one meat or some melanzane is like going to IHOP for carne asada.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
KingG

Post by KingG »

Longhorned wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Sounds to me like Rocco's is thin crust, which is the real Chicago pizza. Chicagoans don't eat deep dish pizza.
Rocco’s has awesome thin crust and deep dish. And their sausage is excellent, they source it from Roma Imports. They have the best Cesar Salad in town IMO, and the wings are great too, especially if you like them extra crispy.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Roma imports *thumbs up*
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Longhorned wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

They do both. I love Rocco's, but I usually order pasta, salads, or sandwiches when I go. Their pizza just doesn't float my boat.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

NYPD just moved into the shopping center next to Sakura on Tanque Verde and makes a great pizza. Also Renee's Organic Oven makes a damn good pizza
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jefe wrote:NYPD just moved into the shopping center next to Sakura on Tanque Verde and makes a great pizza. Also Renee's Organic Oven makes a damn good pizza
I always meant to go to NYPD but never did.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:NYPD just moved into the shopping center next to Sakura on Tanque Verde and makes a great pizza.

The owner Mark Fontana was an Offensive Lineman for UofA, recruited by Larry Smith but he played for Tomey I believe.
He coached my son at Cienega - both his boys played there.

The wings are really good too.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Just wanted to post an insanely late thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. I’ll definitely be checking out some of these places when I get back to Tucson. As a newbie, it’s really hard to find out where the must-visit restaurants are without having an in-the-know local guiding you.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sometimes a caramelo is all you need. I know there are posters who can’t be in Tucson as often as often as they’d like, and if you’re among them, you should say fuck it and come home.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:Sometimes a caramelo is all you need. I know there are posters who can’t be in Tucson as often as often as they’d like, and if you’re among them, you should say fuck it and come home.
Mmm. Don't suppose you went to Aqui con el Nene? Went there for tacos and a hot dog last weekend.

My wife is convincing me to move to La Crosse, Wisconsin in a year or two...I'll miss the Mexican food more than the 60-70 degree winters :(
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Sometimes a caramelo is all you need. I know there are posters who can’t be in Tucson as often as often as they’d like, and if you’re among them, you should say fuck it and come home.
Mmm. Don't suppose you went to Aqui con el Nene? Went there for tacos and a hot dog last weekend.

My wife is convincing me to move to La Crosse, Wisconsin in a year or two...I'll miss the Mexican food more than the 60-70 degree winters :(
I'll try it. Tonight I hit Los Chipilones.

Don't do it.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

If you go to Aqui con el Nene, get the Papancha.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As one who grew up in Michigan if my Tucson born wife wanted to move to the upper midwest she would have to go without me for half the year. The snow and cold is bad enough but the endless winter days with the sun not coming out for days just drains on you.

It's OK if you grew up there since it's all you know. It wasn't until I moved to Colorado that I knew that there could be snow on the ground and the sun could be out. Colorado I could probably do if I needed to.
Junior

Post by Junior »

scumdevils86 wrote:

My brother-in-law lives in West Salem, just outside of La Crosse and he sent me pics from two different days during that polar vortex... one day -30 and the other -25. Oh and they just got 9 inches of snow the other day.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote:As one who grew up in Michigan if my Tucson born wife wanted to move to the upper midwest she would have to go without me for half the year. The snow and cold is bad enough but the endless winter days with the sun not coming out for days just drains on you.

It's OK if you grew up there since it's all you know. It wasn't until I moved to Colorado that I knew that there could be snow on the ground and the sun could be out. Colorado I could probably do if I needed to.
Same for me re Colorado. I grew up in Montana. People who praise Montana beauty never spent a winter in Missoula.

Scum, I was gonna bust your chops about Badger basketball, but I'll offer my winter sympathies instead.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Merkin wrote:As one who grew up in Michigan if my Tucson born wife wanted to move to the upper midwest she would have to go without me for half the year. The snow and cold is bad enough but the endless winter days with the sun not coming out for days just drains on you.

Same for me re Colorado. I grew up in Montana. People who praise Montana beauty never spent a winter in Missoula.

Scum, I was gonna bust your chops about Badger basketball, but I'll offer my winter sympathies instead.
We had a student employee who was born and raised and raised in Southern California. When he graduated he found a job in Wyoming. I told him he would be back within a year. He said "oh no, I love the outdoors and winter sports".

Guess who was right.

Thinking more on it, I think there is only one good season in the upper Midwest, and it's fall. The sights are smells are fantastic, and it's finally cooling down.

The summer humidity is just brutal, and you can't go outside after dark due to the mosquitoes.

My niece had a summer job at Yellowstone the past summer and stayed in the dorms there, and was offered a winter position at the airport gift shop but with no housing.

She had to turn it down due to the high cost of housing there.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hahaha yeeah I know it'll be bad. I honestly think if we do move we'll be back in a few years. She mostly wants to move because all her family is around there and we're thinking of adding some little scumdevils86's in a year or two. I told her we can have little kids there then move back to AZ when they hit school age!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Probably no good Mexican restaurants is right.

But this is cool, 51% Clinton, 41% Trump http://www.city-data.com/city/La-Crosse-Wisconsin.html" target="_blank

Definitely 4 season weather.

and the (future) kids will like this:

This will be hard to get used to, at least for me.

Compared to Tucson.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

La Crosse is a younger liberal college town. Average age there is like 29, compared to like 39 for the rest of the state. It does seem like a nice place to live outside of the weather from December through March.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Main things I'll miss if we end up in La Crosse (besides weather). A close Trader Joe's and Costco. Mexican food. Arizona's lack of mosquitoes. Mexican food.

I won't miss the summers in AZ but I will miss the monsoon storms.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Hahaha yeeah I know it'll be bad. I honestly think if we do move we'll be back in a few years. She mostly wants to move because all her family is around there and we're thinking of adding some little scumdevils86's in a year or two. I told her we can have little kids there then move back to AZ when they hit school age!
Make the move back here while you're young. Or "a few years" will turn into decades.

Just saying. Your wife will NOT want to leave her family after seven years putting down roots near them. And you won't have the energy to overcome her objections, especially putting your kids back into AZ schools, which are not exactly trending upward unless you have the cash and the contacts to keep them in BASIS somewhere.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea true the school thing is a fair point. The schools in La Crosse are quite significantly better than almost every school in Arizona.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

You're toast.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:A close Trader Joe's and Costco.
When my daughter moved to Honolulu with her Navy husband, the Trader Joe's is what they missed most (outside of us we hope). She is always asking us to send stuff from there in her monthly Care packages.

Now he is being transferred to Cherry Point, NC, with no Costcos and the nearest Sam's Club is an hour away.

Funny the things you miss.

Edit: She has yet to find a good Mexican restaurant in Honolulu
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The key to living in the midwest is being in denial.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin wrote:
When my daughter moved to Honolulu with her Navy husband, the Trader Joe's is what they missed most (outside of us we hope). She is always asking us to send stuff from there in her monthly Care packages.

Now he is being transferred to Cherry Point, NC, with no Costcos and the nearest Sam's Club is an hour away.

There is a TJ's and Costco in Rochester, MN...75 miles away.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

There is a TJ's and Costco in Rochester, MN...75 miles away.
So 2 hours and change there and back. I did 4 hours and change for the nearest TJ's, and it was actually worth it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ATL Wings opening up Saturday at University and 4th Ave where The Garage was. I was at ATL 2 weeks ago in Scottsdale and they make really good wings

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I forgot to say I went to Falora last Saturday. Amazing pizza. We got a bianca, which was fantastic. Another one was too American-style with the anchovies. You know -- heavy handed. But I love anchovies so it's all okay. Just fantastic Neopolitan pizza.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Longhorned wrote:I forgot to say I went to Falora last Saturday. Amazing pizza. We got a bianca, which was fantastic. Another one was too American-style with the anchovies. You know -- heavy handed. But I love anchovies so it's all okay. Just fantastic Neopolitan pizza.
We went to Falora last night for our anniversary and it is always good. I recommend getting a reservation because most nights they don't take walk-in traffic after 7
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I forgot to say I went to Falora last Saturday. Amazing pizza. We got a bianca, which was fantastic. Another one was too American-style with the anchovies. You know -- heavy handed. But I love anchovies so it's all okay. Just fantastic Neopolitan pizza.
We went to Falora last night for our anniversary and it is always good. I recommend getting a reservation because most nights they don't take walk-in traffic after 7
But it's my excuse to drink cocktails at Sidecar.....
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

https://www.sunset.com/travel/southwest ... in-Tucson/" target="_blank

Most of these places have probably already been covered in this thread. But now I’ve got a nice list of places to check out.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm not a vegetarian, and I'm not a vegetarian restaurant guy, but Tumerico (across from Rincon Market) makes some fine jackfruit tacos. They make spectacular beans, too.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:I'm not a vegetarian, and I'm not a vegetarian restaurant guy, but Tumerico (across from Rincon Market) makes some fine jackfruit tacos. They make spectacular beans, too.
I've been meaning to try it for a long time
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I'm not a vegetarian, and I'm not a vegetarian restaurant guy, but Tumerico (across from Rincon Market) makes some fine jackfruit tacos. They make spectacular beans, too.
I've been meaning to try it for a long time
We went because we heard 2 year-olds were welcome and accommodated.

I read the reviews, and people go nuts saying, "This is the best food I've ever had", and "I moved here from Denver just so I could keep eating this food."

Part of that is meaningful overlap between people who don't appreciate food in the first place, and people who become vegetarians. But part of it is that the food is just really good there.

So if you have a 2 year old, or if a vegetarian family member comes to visit, let there be no doubt about it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You ever been out to a restaurant and someone asks for a vegetarian option and they are brought out a piece of wilted lettuce on a plate? I wonder what the Veggie restaurant equivalent to this is if you ask for a carnivore option?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Grovery Outlet, if you are near one, sells jackfruit already seasoned for tacos.

But easy enough to do yourself with the jackfruit from Trader Joe's.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:

Grovery Outlet, if you are near one, sells jackfruit already seasoned for tacos.

But easy enough to do yourself with the jackfruit from Trader Joe's.
I just picked up two cans from Trader Joe’s! I’m going to make it into pulled pork, mixed with a bottle of TJ’s barbecue sauce.

How the mighty have fallen.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:You ever been out to a restaurant and someone asks for a vegetarian option and they are brought out a piece of wilted lettuce on a plate? I wonder what the Veggie restaurant equivalent to this is if you ask for a carnivore option?
Vegan chef defecates on your plate.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Alieberman wrote:You ever been out to a restaurant and someone asks for a vegetarian option and they are brought out a piece of wilted lettuce on a plate? I wonder what the Veggie restaurant equivalent to this is if you ask for a carnivore option?
Vegan chef defecates on your plate.
Vegan chef sneers "Our Modest Proposal menu, perhaps sir?"

~ Wilhoit's Law
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Longhorned wrote:The key to living in the midwest is being in denial.
The key to living in the Midwest is moving away. Look, I love my relatives who stayed, but Peoria County will always be a good place to be from. Swamp ass in the summer, cold AF in the winter is not my desired combination.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Getting back on track, if I have to pick the most, long-time consistent restaurant in Tucson, it’s Kingfisher. I’ve never had a bad meal there for over a decade and a half. In fact, I’ve had some sublime meals. I typically sit in the bar.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

My 20 year reunion this fall is doing an event at some place called Three Canyon Beer & Wine Garden, which I've never heard of. Is it at least minimally acceptable?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

legallykenny wrote:My 20 year reunion this fall is doing an event at some place called Three Canyon Beer & Wine Garden, which I've never heard of. Is it at least minimally acceptable?
I've never heard of it either. I have plans that weekend, so I'm not going, plus I refuse to believe it's been 20 years.
Last edited by ASUCatFan on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I've never heard of that place either.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I haven't heard of it yet, but it may exist in some realm.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I forgot how good Michas is. I hadn't been back since before the fire. Damn good carne secca burro enchilada style. It's not Mi Nidito, but sometimes you just want to sit down and eat.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

legallykenny wrote:My 20 year reunion this fall is doing an event at some place called Three Canyon Beer & Wine Garden, which I've never heard of. Is it at least minimally acceptable?
Yelpers seem to love it, https://www.yelp.com/biz/three-canyon-b ... den-tucson" target="_blank with some exceptions who hated it.