Why I Own The World

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Why I Own The World

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm dealt with Bostonians and New Yorkers extensively at each stage of my professional career.

I vastly prefer New Yorkers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I grew up a huge Magic Johnson fan in the 80's, so Boston, Larry Bird, Ainge and the rest can park it where the sun don't shine.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Apparently they did, given those pasty complexions.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

CryptoCat wrote: I think getting (under)paid to do socially beneficial work would be very gratifying.
That's what I do! Except I didn't dominate the world first. I knew I was doing this backward.

Are the drone laws more conducive to usage than elsewhere. Been a big issue Washington state.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-dro ... story.html
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I don't know about the citizens' general assholery in Boston--it is home to my mother Christian Science church next to the Prudential Building across from Faneuil Hall, so it's got those denizens working for it--but the pace and the entitlement displayed there is just outright ridiculous.

No other gear other than turbo, and you can't pull off to the side of the road and take a break from it. They won't let you. I figured out quickly how Eddie Coyle must have felt before he got whacked, because after two hours of gridlock and dodge-and-slash-and-brake through neighborhoods just to get up from MIT to Hull, I got "called out" by some biker dude who pulled into the parking space next to me AFTER I did for not leaving him a full car length's space to get off his bike.

"Thanks for parking so close"? Hey, you're welcome, stranger I'll never talk to after searching a half-hour just for a place to park and look at the ocean. Even Plymouth wasn't that bad by comparison.

It doesn't help that one of my "certifiable" exes lives in Dedham. That city owes me a beer or three at the Bull & Finch.
CryptoCat

Post by CryptoCat »

gumby wrote:
CryptoCat wrote: I think getting (under)paid to do socially beneficial work would be very gratifying.
That's what I do! Except I didn't dominate the world first. I knew I was doing this backward.

Are the drone laws more conducive to usage than elsewhere. Been a big issue Washington state.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-dro ... story.html
I don't have any idea yet what factors go into choosing one platform over another. Hope to know all that shortly though!
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

CryptoCat wrote:I think getting (under)paid to do socially beneficial work would be very gratifying.

It is to a point. There's a certain amount of stress that comes with always worrying about money that takes away from the gratification.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'll take getting overpaid for any work right now haha.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Some kind of study on happiness concluded that once you make $50,000 a year, no amount of money more than that can make you happier. The problem with that is that the vast number of people doing good things for the world are certainly making well beneath that, and are measurably less happy for it. It's not about a lack of "material comforts." It's about the stress of not having enough money to pay for undesired incidentals in addition to the basics. The car you need to get to work broke down? Okay, where does that money come from? Rent? Food? Getting naked on Van Buren? It comes from more high interest debt that you can't pay because you won't get compensated, but you probably will get insulted.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I agree with you LH.

Sounds like a bullshit study.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:Some kind of study on happiness concluded that once you make $50,000 a year, no amount of money more than that can make you happier. The problem with that is that the vast number of people doing good things for the world are certainly making well beneath that, and are measurably less happy for it. It's not about a lack of "material comforts." It's about the stress of not having enough money to pay for undesired incidentals in addition to the basics. The car you need to get to work broke down? Okay, where does that money come from? Rent? Food? Getting naked on Van Buren? It comes from more high interest debt that you can't pay because you won't get compensated, but you probably will get insulted.
I'd be happy with 50k...even happier with 100k.

gumby

Post by gumby »

Ah, but would you be twice as happy?

My view is that the first 50k is the most important. That's why government should treat it kinder and gentler. Then turn into a total bitch on the rest. :mrgreen:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Some kind of study on happiness concluded that once you make $50,000 a year, no amount of money more than that can make you happier. The problem with that is that the vast number of people doing good things for the world are certainly making well beneath that, and are measurably less happy for it. It's not about a lack of "material comforts." It's about the stress of not having enough money to pay for undesired incidentals in addition to the basics. The car you need to get to work broke down? Okay, where does that money come from? Rent? Food? Getting naked on Van Buren? It comes from more high interest debt that you can't pay because you won't get compensated, but you probably will get insulted.
Generally, people who say "money can't buy happiness" have a lot of money. It could sure assist my student loan debt and that would affect my happiness.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Money can't buy you everything, but what it can't buy it can rent.
CryptoCat

Post by CryptoCat »

I'll just say it, having money is awesome.

Most people's biggest concerns in life are money and relationships.

Money obviously handles money.
Money helps with relationships quite a bit.

If you have money and are feeling shitty, you can do something to cheer you up, like take a job at a non-profit for less than market value.

I grew up dirt poor and am now pretty wealthy, and let me tell you straight up from someone on both sides of the coin: money helps out a LOT.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I have enough money to know that money CAN buy you happiness. :)

I don't have enough money to actually buy that happiness. :(
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I was poor when I was at the entry point at a mid-level institution.

Now that I'm "established" and in the Big 10, I'm "comfortable."

When I was poor, I worried about debt and being able to pay for basic things.

Now that I'm not worrying about money, I'm free to focus on the fact that I'm still going to die anyway.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Generally, people who say "money can't buy happiness" have a lot of money. It could sure assist my student loan debt and that would affect my happiness.
This. 1/3 of the bills I pay monthly are student loans.

gumby

Post by gumby »

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons. -- Woody Allen

Money often costs too much. –- Ralph Waldo Emerson
CryptoCat

Post by CryptoCat »

The only people who say "Money can't buy happiness" are poor people, or rich people trying to placate poor people.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons. -- Woody Allen

Money often costs too much. –- Ralph Waldo Emerson
"While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery." -- Groucho Marx
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CryptoCat wrote:The only people who say "Money can't buy happiness" are poor people, or rich people trying to placate poor people.
There's some truth. The major areas of my life that matter most aren't about money. Family, my marriage, all that is more central to me than anything money could buy.

That said, I'm not naieve, and I could enjoy the non-monetary things if I had plenty of money and didn't need to work so much. I don't think money can buy happiness for me, but it sure as hell could enhance it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CryptoCat wrote:The only people who say "Money can't buy happiness" are poor people, or rich people trying to placate poor people.
There's some truth. The major areas of my life that matter most aren't about money. Family, my marriage, all that is more central to me than anything money could buy.

That said, I'm not naieve, and I could enjoy the non-monetary things if I had plenty of money and didn't need to work so much. I don't think money can buy happiness for me, but it sure as hell could enhance it.
People like me though without a wife or family of my own I mostly care about living my life well..and money is what drives almost all of that.

gumby

Post by gumby »

Mon-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey! Money changes everythng.

"If it weren't for money, thieves would be out of work." -- Gumby
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I believe financial security does provide peace of mind. Maybe not happiness per say, but enables people to have a certain degree of freedom in matters that can increase happiness and/or reduce stress.
CalStateTempe

Introducing our newest Wildcat.

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dear Wildcat friends,

Baby Victoria Nicole was born on 8/4/14, at 2:30pm, weighing in at 9lbs, 5oz. Mom labored for a heroic 34 hours. Both are doing well and we are all happy to be home, and just in time for football season.

Already, I am known around the house as the "Baby Whisperer". She likes to fall asleep in my arms to George Strait and of course, Bear Down Arizona. Can't wait to post pictures of her in game day gear.

Cheers, CST

Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Congratulations!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That is so awesome. :D
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Very much congrats
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Well done man!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

congrats. and now you won't have a real night's sleep until about 2017

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Props to your wife! Very big baby and a very long labor.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:congrats. and now you won't have a real night's sleep until about 2017
He can just list his bed in the classifieds thread.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

lol, Thanks guys!
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:I believe financial security does provide peace of mind. Maybe not happiness per say, but enables people to have a certain degree of freedom in matters that can increase happiness and/or reduce stress.
Stress relief is the big one, and it's often invisible.

Poverty is unrelenting stress. but people see TVs, microwaves and, maybe, a brew and think poor people are cruising.

Nope. Grind, grind, grind.

P.S. Congrats on the kid!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

gumby wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I believe financial security does provide peace of mind. Maybe not happiness per say, but enables people to have a certain degree of freedom in matters that can increase happiness and/or reduce stress.

Poverty is unrelenting stress. but people see TVs, microwaves and, maybe, a brew and think poor people are cruising.

Absolutely agree, Gumby about poverty as an unrelenting stress.

Thanks for the wishes!
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Beautiful little girl, CST. Enjoy fatherhood.
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

Beautiful! Congrats.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Congratulations, CST! There are no words....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:

People see poor people with big TVs, but they don't realize that TV is the poor's only entertainment. Besides making babies.

They are long gone, but you should have heard stories from my grandparents about trying to survive during the depression. My dad is still around and grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. He says that though he is quite comfortable now, growing up poor is something you never forget and he can't change old habits. You won't find bottled water at his house unless someone brings it.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Merkin wrote:You won't find bottled water at his house unless someone brings it.
Well he's just smart for that, poor habits or not!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, buy bottled water and then complain about the price of gas.

We have fantastic water in Spokane, thanks to a fast-moving aquifer. Still, the bottled water flies off the shelves.

Hard times!

Something to keep in mind. A TV is a one-time purchase that could've occurred when the purchaser was doing fine. Not like you could get much by selling it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Had an epic performance review today. I knew I've been doing well, but I was unaware how well and valued I am by my department. Lots of praise, but even more exciting I was offered the opportunity to head up some international work in early 2015. If all goes well, it could potentially spring-board to an even bigger and exciting full-time position in Summer/Fall 2015.

Also met the National Medical Directors for a global pharmaceutical company and HUGE global tech corporation at my review. They were equally impressed with the work I've done in the 13 months I've been here and offered some side projects at their respective organizations. Granted its not paid, but the networking opportunities are payment enough.

Just feels damn good. And having a Tecate in this heat after a meeting like that is tremendous.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

cause i know BearDownVegas and he is one fine mutha-fuckin individual!!

Go Cats!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:cause i know BearDownVegas and he is one fine mutha-fuckin individual!!

Go Cats!!
That's pretty clear even without real-life form on the internets.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:cause i know BearDownVegas and he is one fine mutha-fuckin individual!!

Go Cats!!
BDV is a great poster. Would love to buy him a beer.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Go Cats!!
Met him also. Quality person!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Or rich people who bought the wrong shit. I mean, there are rich, miserable people. Some even kill themselves.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Go Cats!!
This is pretty cool - thanks for that Jon.

I actually came in here to brag on my daughter & just read all of that - which was cool. SO - this weekend I filled out college applications with my 17 year old. But that's not the best part.

About a year & a half ago she heard of this program at The College of Southern Nevada where they take 50 high school students per campus, per year on a scholarship program. What this means is - the student attends at CSN for two years (eligible after your sophomore year of HS) & you can take up to 15 credits of college courses per semester while you finish your last two years of high school. These credits are FREE if you get into the program.

She is now underway on her senior year of HS as well as her sophomore year of college. In fact, she just finished a turbo class of English 102 last Friday that was all three credits in four weeks (3 hours a day, 3 days a week). And all I've had to pay for is the books.

She's applying to UofA, USC, Cal Poly SLO, CU Boulder, Pepperdine, Syracuse, Whittier, & SMU. I of course have my favorites & fears...I guess all of that is normal. But I couldn't be more f*&#ing proud. I was sitting here this morning beaming about it & realized it would fit pretty well in this fun 'pat yourself on the back' thread.

Though I'm not sure how much credit I can take...this kid's an angel. My three year old on the other hand.....lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Cal Poly SLO
I will buy you a beer if she comes here!