Archaeology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Archaeology Thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/archaeology/1.707620" target="_blank

Glass beads found in Denmark made by the same place that had beads in King Tut's tomb...
Stunning glass beads found in Danish Bronze Age burials dating to 3400 years ago turn out to have come from ancient Egypt – in fact, from the workshop that made the blue beads buried with the famous boy-king Tutankhamun. The discovery proves that there were established trade routes between the far north and Levant as early as the 13th century BCE.
Twenty-three of the glass beads found in Danish Bronze Age burials by the team of Danish and French archaeologists were blue, a rare color in ancient times.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

That's pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing, 'Hater.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vik ... f53aef5a26" target="_blank
Possible Viking Find Could Rewrite North American History

04/01/2016

A team of archaeologists say they’ve made a potentially “seismic” discovery in Canada that could “rewrite the history of Vikings in the New World” — and they did it with the help of medieval sagas and the latest satellite technology.

Medieval sagas, considered to be masterpieces of literature from the Middle Ages, capture the stories of the intrepid Vikings — the master seafarers and warriors who, starting around the 8th century, ventured beyond their Scandinavian homelands to raid and trade in foreign lands.

According to these stories, many of them featuring “larger-than-life heroes,” the Vikings had made the first European voyage to North America — at least 500 years before Christopher Columbus.

But the question has long remained: Just how much fact was interwoven into these sagas, which Icelandic monks wrote in the 13th and 14th centuries? And if laced with truth, just how much of the New World did the Norse really explore?

In the 1960s, archaeologists determined that a site on the northernmost tip of Newfoundland in Canada — L’Anse aux Meadows — had been a Viking settlement, established about a millennium before. The discovery changed the history of European exploration in the New World and proved the sagas were not simply works of fiction.

L’Anse aux Meadows, however, had merely been a temporary settlement, which the Norse abandoned after a few short years. Archaeologists have since been searching for clues of other Viking expeditions in North America; but in the past half-century, nothing concrete has been found.

Until now.

Thanks largely to the work of Sarah Parcak, a leading space archaeologist, evidence has been unearthed of a possible second Viking site in North America — and it’s located about 300 miles further south than L’Anse aux Meadows.

The site at Point Rosee, which Parcak pinpointed after analyzing satellite imagery, is located on the southwest coast of Newfoundland, The New York Times reports.

“I am absolutely thrilled,” she told the BBC of the new find. “Typically in archaeology, you only ever get to write a footnote in the history books, but what we seem to have at Point Rosee may be the beginning of an entirely new chapter.”

“This new site could unravel more secrets about the Vikings, whether they were the first Europeans to ‘occupy’ briefly in North America, and reveal that the Vikings dared to explore much further into the New World than we ever thought,” added Parcak, who won the $1 million TED prize last year for her pioneering work using satellite data for archaeological purposes.

Last summer, Parcak and a team of archaeologists conducted a test excavation at Point Rosee, and uncovered an “iron-working hearth [and some cooked bog iron] partially surrounded by the remains of what appears to have been a turf wall,” The National Geographic reports.

The team said they can’t yet say for certain that the Vikings built the hearth, but the signs are encouraging.

The turf wall is “nothing like the shelters built by indigenous peoples who lived in Newfoundland at the time, nor by Basque fishermen and whalers who arrived in the 16th century,” according to Nat Geo. And Douglas Bolender, an archaeologist who specializes in Viking settlements, said there “aren’t any known cultures — prehistoric or modern — that would have been mining and roasting bog iron ore in Newfoundland other than the Norse.”

Bolender told the BBC that the Point Rosee discovery “has the potential to change history.”

“The sagas suggest a short period of activity and a very brief and failed colonization attempt. L’Anse aux Meadows fits well with that story but is only one site. Point Rosee could reinforce that story or completely change it if the dating is different from L’Anse aux Meadows. We could end up with a much longer period of Norse activity in the New World,” he told Nat Geo.

One of the reasons why the Vikings have been so hard to track down is because of the way they moved around.

“They travelled light and left nothing behind, No massive stone theatres for them. They voyaged in longships with a strong oak keel ... [and] sails spun from wool,” historian Dan Snow writes for the BBC. “Food was pickled herring, lamb smoked using reindeer droppings, fermented salmon. Almost everything on a Viking ship would get recycled or rot away.”

But, thanks to satellite imagery, Parcak believes that even the elusive Vikings can be found.

In the case of Point Rosee, for instance, it had been irregularities in the soil — “a dark stain,” according to the Times — that initially piqued her interest.

“For a long time, serious North Atlantic archaeologists have largely ignored the idea of looking for Norse sites in coastal Canada because there was no real method for doing so,” Bolender told Nat Geo. “If Sarah Parcak can find one Norse site using satellites, then there’s a reasonable chance that you can use the same method to find more, if they exist. If Point Rosee is Norse, it may open up coastal Canada to a whole new era of research.”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Was just reading about that. Remote sensing and satellite imagery is completely revolutionising archaeology and the things that we can find

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine you have to be pretty good at finding such things being a space archaeologist.

When analysing this data, Parcak marked numerous 'hot spots' - areas that may have had human settlements. However, one spot stood out among the rest because it was a severely 'dark stain' of vegetation that appeared man-made

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

By studying the microbes in soil high up in the Alps, they think they may have found the fecal remains of Hannibal's army and found the route they took into Italy during the Second Punic War.

http://www.popsci.com/microbes-reveal-r ... s-crossing" target="_blank
Solid evidence in the form of ancient dung microbes, has led Microbiologists to believe that the crossing occurred in the Col de la Traversette pass between France and Italy. The findings, published this week in the journal Archaeometry, may have finally settled this long standing puzzle of history.

One of the astonishing things about Hannibal’s crossing of the Alps was that he was able to successfully move such a tremendous number of men and animals over such treacherous, unforgiving terrain. Conditions were likely terrible, and Inadequate clothing coupled with severe weather probably made it a harrowing experience for the average soldier. His army consisted of some 30,000 soldiers, 15,000 horses and at least 37 elephants.

That's right: He guided war elephants from the sunbaked continent of Africa through the snow covered mountains of France and Italy. Imagine the Romans’ terror and disbelief at seeing elephants coming down from the mountains, let alone a full army.

Moving that many living things is like moving a city. And it most certainly didn’t happen in a day. So like all living things, the soldiers and beasts of war all had to bed down at night, forage for food, and relieve themselves. Now 45,000 mammals—and big ones at that—all loosening their bowels in the same area is going to create a substantial amount of feces. And in this case, it was substantial enough for scientists to find signs of it over 2,000 years later.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

And what've you done for us, Longhorned? You need to get out there and analyze some more poop samples!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How can something like that go unseen for so long?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:How can something like that go unseen for so long?
That picture is not what they discovered. Nice and misleading, huh?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:How can something like that go unseen for so long?
That picture is not what they discovered. Nice and misleading, huh?
yup.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

guess this fits here? who's hungry?! :shock:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/europe/ir ... bottomlist" target="_blank
(CNN)Turf cutter Jack Conaway was cutting peat for fuel in the Emlagh bog when he made a surprising and smelly discovery.

Buried 12 feet under, Conaway found a massive 22 pound (10 kilogram) chunk of butter estimated to be 2,000 years old.
Oddly enough, such encounters are not unusual.
Hundreds of lumps of bog butter have been found in Ireland and Scotland, dating back over thousands of years, according a study published in The Journal of Irish Archaeology.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Read about this in Smithsonian. Apparently this was used by local villagers to keep cool and out of sight from warring factions.

Age bog butter enough and it has a waxy, paraffin texture. One researcher was able to eat a bit of it and found that it had aged so much it had developed a cheese-like consistency.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

*yawn*

I never eat butter until I've buried it long enough to develop a waxy, paraffin-like, and cheesey character.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I only use locally grown, sustainably sourced organic bog butter

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

You guys must have better health care than I do, then.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pity the poor Irish man who forgot where he hid the cheese after a heavy night of grog drinking.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The alternative was periodically giving workers days off for brewing their own beer at home, which was potentially more expensive. Therefore, provide workers beer as a fringe benefit.

Living without beer was inconceivable because they needed it for strength and hydration.

Benjamin Franklin famously wrote, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants to be happy." People think this means that Franklin enjoyed a good beer, and so should we. But what it really means is that "God helps those who help themselves," i.e., the body needs water (which wasn't safe to drink before water treatment facilities), so if you work to overcome the sanitary issue through fermenting with grains, you can solve that problem and flourish. Keep in mind that I'm just trying to be one of those people who wish to deflate everyone's mood by suggesting that ideas about the past that bring people enjoyment are just myths not borne out by rigorous academic questioning of historical context, but like all those people I don't actually know what I'm talking about.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wasn't the Tigris river water safe to drink 5,000 years ago?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Chicat wrote:Wasn't the Tigris river water safe to drink 5,000 years ago?

I imagine that depended on which part of the river you did. Seems like it would have been a natural place to dump the raw sewage before people understood pathology. Wouldn't want to live in a settlement too far downstream.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:
Chicat wrote:Wasn't the Tigris river water safe to drink 5,000 years ago?

I imagine that depended on which part of the river you did. Seems like it would have been a natural place to dump the raw sewage before people understood pathology. Wouldn't want to live in a settlement too far downstream.
Not enough access to springs and it just wasn't civilized to drink from the river (Enkidu). Small beer was where it was at. We could all live comfortably on small beer instead of water today.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saw some show on the History Channel years ago about beer. Seems in Victorian England it was quite normal to drink beer at lunch due to drinking water being so unsafe.

It wasn't until the Industrial Revolution and people started losing body parts in industrial accidents that they decided beer at lunch wasn't a very good idea.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Saw some show on the History Channel years ago about beer. Seems in Victorian England it was quite normal to drink beer at lunch due to drinking water being so unsafe.

It wasn't until the Industrial Revolution and people started losing body parts in industrial accidents that they decided beer at lunch wasn't a very good idea.
Wasn't the cocktail invented as a morning time cure for a hangover from drinking beer all day? In the 19th century, nobody would have dreamed of working while sober.

When I was at an Italian university my junior year, the student cafeterias all had soda fountains with Coke, Sprite, Fanta, beer, red wine, and white wine. You could drink as much as you want between classes. The meal and all-you-can-drink set you back around a buck, as long as you were a student. I always frequented the Communist Party-run cafeteria.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37452287" target="_blank

2 skeletons found in London from the Roman Era that are likely Chinese in ancestry...

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37452287

2 skeletons found in London from the Roman Era that are likely Chinese in ancestry...
My guess is Severan (193-235) or more likely Tetrarchic (284-324) soldiers.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:

Well those are Roman periods, but in your professional opinion, what's the explanation of the possible asian/Chinese ancestry.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not so fast says Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinakil ... f0f19a980b" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Well those are Roman periods, but in your professional opinion, what's the explanation of the possible asian/Chinese ancestry.
It's plausible that descendants of earlier Han merchants taken as slaves would be freed and then either them or their descendants fight under a Roman commander or emperor/junior emperor. It's less plausible that they'd reach London as independent merchants or as slaves. What's really hard about this is that the archaeology won't correspond to textual evidence, since it will be hard to know whether any writer in Latin or Greek referred to peoples whom we call Han or Chinese.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

It's plausible that descendants of earlier Han merchants taken as slaves would be freed and then either them or their descendants fight under a Roman commander or emperor/junior emperor. It's less plausible that they'd reach London as independent merchants or as slaves. What's really hard about this is that the archaeology won't correspond to textual evidence, since it will be hard to know whether any writer in Latin or Greek referred to peoples whom we call Han or Chinese.
Good point. Seems unlikely that one trader themselves would've made the entire trip from China to London.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Don't let isis near it...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I realize archaeology doesn't deal with human remains, but thought this was interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/construction ... D=ref_fark" target="_blank

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Construction crews working on an apartment building in Philadelphia's historic district got a shock last month when their backhoes started hitting coffins and unearthing fully intact human remains.

Now, forensic scientists and students at Rutgers University-Camden are working to recover as many of the 18th century remains as they can, to analyze them and find out who these people were, said Kimberlee Moran, an associate professor and director of forensics at the university.

"We're trying to help this forgotten group of individuals," Moran said Thursday.

The site near the Betsy Ross House was supposedly a decommissioned burial ground for the First Baptist Church, established in 1707. When the church moved to a larger location around 1860, all remains were to have been exhumed and re-interred at Mount Moriah Cemetery southwest of the city, according to historical documents.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I can totally understand the impulse. If I was all alone and saw certain death raining down from above, I'd probably crank one out too. Might as well go with a smile on your face.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

No doubt a final message to the next town over that he had their Herculaneum right there.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I almost put this into the science and technology thread, but then I remembered archaeology!

First Australians Arrived At Least 65,000 Years Ago, Groundbreaking Dig Reveals

Amongst the Australian World Firsts:
  • World's first (proved) sea migration (90 kilometer ocean crossing - sophisticated sea going craft required)
  • World's oldest (known) ground edge axe (beating Europe by 30,000+ years)
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Backhoe operator discovers 3000 year old footprints of a family walking through their fields near the confluence of the Rillito and Santa Cruz here in Tucson

https://www.swca.com/news/2017/04/follo ... limpses-of" target="_blank

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

In a lava flow in south-western Victoria, the ancestors of the fighting Gunditjmara built the world's oldest known aquaculture system - 6500 years ago.

A feat of engineering, Budj Bim is an extensive system of eel traps, including dams, holding ponds and stone houses.
The rich cultural landscape of Budj Bim

The site has been nominated for UNESCO World Heritage listing.

The above link contains a link to a recording of the radio program segment where this is discussed with two of the traditional owners.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

Chicat wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vik ... f53aef5a26
Possible Viking Find Could Rewrite North American History

04/01/2016

A team of archaeologists say they’ve made a potentially “seismic” discovery in Canada that could “rewrite the history of Vikings in the New World” — and they did it with the help of medieval sagas and the latest satellite technology.

Medieval sagas, considered to be masterpieces of literature from the Middle Ages, capture the stories of the intrepid Vikings — the master seafarers and warriors who, starting around the 8th century, ventured beyond their Scandinavian homelands to raid and trade in foreign lands.

According to these stories, many of them featuring “larger-than-life heroes,” the Vikings had made the first European voyage to North America — at least 500 years before Christopher Columbus.

But the question has long remained: Just how much fact was interwoven into these sagas, which Icelandic monks wrote in the 13th and 14th centuries? And if laced with truth, just how much of the New World did the Norse really explore?

In the 1960s, archaeologists determined that a site on the northernmost tip of Newfoundland in Canada — L’Anse aux Meadows — had been a Viking settlement, established about a millennium before. The discovery changed the history of European exploration in the New World and proved the sagas were not simply works of fiction.

L’Anse aux Meadows, however, had merely been a temporary settlement, which the Norse abandoned after a few short years. Archaeologists have since been searching for clues of other Viking expeditions in North America; but in the past half-century, nothing concrete has been found.

Until now.

Thanks largely to the work of Sarah Parcak, a leading space archaeologist, evidence has been unearthed of a possible second Viking site in North America — and it’s located about 300 miles further south than L’Anse aux Meadows.

The site at Point Rosee, which Parcak pinpointed after analyzing satellite imagery, is located on the southwest coast of Newfoundland, The New York Times reports.

“I am absolutely thrilled,” she told the BBC of the new find. “Typically in archaeology, you only ever get to write a footnote in the history books, but what we seem to have at Point Rosee may be the beginning of an entirely new chapter.”

“This new site could unravel more secrets about the Vikings, whether they were the first Europeans to ‘occupy’ briefly in North America, and reveal that the Vikings dared to explore much further into the New World than we ever thought,” added Parcak, who won the $1 million TED prize last year for her pioneering work using satellite data for archaeological purposes.

Last summer, Parcak and a team of archaeologists conducted a test excavation at Point Rosee, and uncovered an “iron-working hearth [and some cooked bog iron] partially surrounded by the remains of what appears to have been a turf wall,” The National Geographic reports.

The team said they can’t yet say for certain that the Vikings built the hearth, but the signs are encouraging.

The turf wall is “nothing like the shelters built by indigenous peoples who lived in Newfoundland at the time, nor by Basque fishermen and whalers who arrived in the 16th century,” according to Nat Geo. And Douglas Bolender, an archaeologist who specializes in Viking settlements, said there “aren’t any known cultures — prehistoric or modern — that would have been mining and roasting bog iron ore in Newfoundland other than the Norse.”

Bolender told the BBC that the Point Rosee discovery “has the potential to change history.”

“The sagas suggest a short period of activity and a very brief and failed colonization attempt. L’Anse aux Meadows fits well with that story but is only one site. Point Rosee could reinforce that story or completely change it if the dating is different from L’Anse aux Meadows. We could end up with a much longer period of Norse activity in the New World,” he told Nat Geo.

One of the reasons why the Vikings have been so hard to track down is because of the way they moved around.

“They travelled light and left nothing behind, No massive stone theatres for them. They voyaged in longships with a strong oak keel ... [and] sails spun from wool,” historian Dan Snow writes for the BBC. “Food was pickled herring, lamb smoked using reindeer droppings, fermented salmon. Almost everything on a Viking ship would get recycled or rot away.”

But, thanks to satellite imagery, Parcak believes that even the elusive Vikings can be found.

In the case of Point Rosee, for instance, it had been irregularities in the soil — “a dark stain,” according to the Times — that initially piqued her interest.

“For a long time, serious North Atlantic archaeologists have largely ignored the idea of looking for Norse sites in coastal Canada because there was no real method for doing so,” Bolender told Nat Geo. “If Sarah Parcak can find one Norse site using satellites, then there’s a reasonable chance that you can use the same method to find more, if they exist. If Point Rosee is Norse, it may open up coastal Canada to a whole new era of research.”
I just got back from trekking in Peru and the Incan culture in large part centers around their god Viracocha, who is said to have arrived in the time of their ancestors (a very tall, pale man with a beard - which the natives can't grow themselves), so before 500 years ago, and taught them many things. Our guides pointed out many places during the trip where this figure is carved in stone in mountain sides and in statues, and sure enough, dude looks like a viking. There are other theories for sure, but I'm not going down that rabbit hole.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-07-archaeo ... years.html" target="_blank
At an archaeological site in northeastern Jordan, researchers have discovered the charred remains of a flatbread baked by hunter-gatherers 14,400 years ago. It is the oldest direct evidence of bread found to date, predating the advent of agriculture by at least 4,000 years. The findings suggest that bread production based on wild cereals may have encouraged hunter-gatherers to cultivate cereals, and thus contributed to the agricultural revolution in the Neolithic period.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It was a friendly encounter until the conquistadors decided to take hostages. That prompted the entire city to flee.
That’s when they were ambushed by 1,500 Escanxaques. The conquistadors battled them with guns and cannons before finally withdrawing back to New Mexico, never to return.

An amazing story in itself. You would think that a settlement of 20,000 could easily have overtaken and killed 70 conquistadors, even given that the Spanish had horses, rifles and cannons that the Native Americans have never seen before. Something like if aliens came to earth right now with space ships and laser guns.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hah, one of the Wichita State students in the picture in that article is wearing an Arizona shirt.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:Hah, one of the Wichita State students in the picture in that article is wearing an Arizona shirt.