If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:I forgot how good Michas is. I hadn't been back since before the fire. Damn good carne secca burro enchilada style. It's not Mi Nidito, but sometimes you just want to sit down and eat.

Always a good fall back when Mi Nidito is too crowded.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This goddam Charro operation with all its corporate restauranteering.... But I’ll admit, I went to Charro del Rey and it was unfuckingbelievably good. I missed out on being a high roller in the 1970s, and I don’t go to Vegas, so this $100 “seafood tower” appetizer took me places I’ve never seen. Lobster, crab, oysters, shrimp - all prepared and presented like you owned the Patriots. Sheer perfection. And the rest of it had me calling Poseidon to just drown me right now, because there’s nothing better. And then the best desserts ever. I wish were cool enough to criticize the experience, but they got me.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Went to Ginza Sushi and sat at the bar for an omakase night. 2 of the 6 plates we had. That meal is going to be tough to beat. Best sushi in Tucson!

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At the new Japanese place Kukai at the MSA annex by the mercado San Agustin. I'll report on how my buta don is.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Verdict: it was delicious. I'm not really a sushi guy so I always like the donburi and noodle type stuff at Japanese restaurants. Nice thin slices of pork and sticky rice and ginger.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I went to Union Public. That is one genuinely bad burger.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:I went to Union Public. That is one genuinely bad burger.
It's gone downhill the last several years. Same owners for the other 2 restaurants in the square
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Union has been around for like 7+ years already. It was alright back in the day but they're lazy now.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
It's gone downhill the last several years. Same owners for the other 2 restaurants in the square
They own Reforma? My work is bringing in a guy from Germany, who specifically asked us take him to Mexican food. So my colleagues decided we’re taking him to Reforma.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
They own Reforma? My work is bringing in a guy from Germany, who specifically asked us take him to Mexican food. So my colleagues decided we’re taking him to Reforma.
FYI, El Charro was just named a James Beard Semifinalist....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
FYI, El Charro was just named a James Beard Semifinalist....
I know, that floored me. Barrio Bread, yeah. But El Charro?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I've always heard Reforma was vastly overpriced and not good. And El Charro as a James Beard finalist? El Charro is just a slightly fancier Macayos or On the Border that you bring your out of state visitors from Wisconsin to to give them "real"(fake) Mexican food.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Yeah Reforma and the new Proof Artisanal Pizza and Pasta. I always thought Reforma was just okay, great margarita though.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I like reforma for their birthday entree's. Ever need a place to eat for that occasion, they offer a $25 birthday incentives which is basically good for any meal on their menu. Awesome deal IMO
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I am never disappointed when I eat at Serial Grillers. I do wonder if their exponential growth and success will hurt them soon though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Reforma is right across the street from Seis Kitchen, and Seis is about six times better.

Reforma...I've been there three times and couldn't tell you a single thing about what I've eaten. Good, bad, just nothing. It was some of the least impactful food I've ever had.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Reforma is right across the street from Seis Kitchen, and Seis is about six times better.

Reforma...I've been there three times and couldn't tell you a single thing about what I've eaten. Good, bad, just nothing. It was some of the least impactful food I've ever had.
Yeah, my thought about my dinner at Reforma was "Wow! This is the most perfectly hit bulls-eye on the target of mediocrity I've ever encountered in a restaurant!"

Not bad at all. Not good at all. It's like eating a Stouffer's frozen entree. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a Stouffer's frozen entree.

Why was the restaurant so full of people, though?
Last edited by Longhorned on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

...Reforma is at Campbell and River

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

...Reforma is at Campbell and River
So is Seis Kitchen. I know Seis is also downtown, but...?

To LH's point, the only thing I remember is they make you pay for chips and salsa, and I thought the quality of salsa was more of the free variety. Even then, I didn't hate it. It wasn't good. It wasn't bad, I just resented having to pay $4 for average salsa when I can get better complimentary salsa at multiple places within a 5 minute drive.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I thought Reforma was the definition of mediocre.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Seis was bad for the second time tonight. It’s too bad because it’s so good when they’re on. $70 for tacos for a family of 3 is too much to serve tacos that suck. Twice is my limit, so I’m sad to kick them out of the rotation.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:Seis was bad for the second time tonight. It’s too bad because it’s so good when they’re on. $70 for tacos for a family of 3 is too much to serve tacos that suck. Twice is my limit, so I’m sad to kick them out of the rotation.
I’ve never heard of a moody restaurant before! That’s disappointing because the River location is a three minute drive from my house . . . depending on traffic.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can't believe how good India Oven is.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Seis was bad for the second time tonight. It’s too bad because it’s so good when they’re on. $70 for tacos for a family of 3 is too much to serve tacos that suck. Twice is my limit, so I’m sad to kick them out of the rotation.
What'd you get? I've had most of their tacos and never been disappointed.

I took food out from Chef Alisah's for the first time last weekend. It wasn't bad, but not compellingly great. Appetizer (stuffed grape leaves) was better than the main dish (sausages).
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chef Alisah's is one of my favorite things about Tucson. Love the cevapi and bread. I haven't had seis yet but have been dying to try their breakfast burritos.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This last time at the Mercado they screwed up their al pastor tacos, their conchita pibil tacos, and their grilled shrimp taco special. The al pastor tacos had no ingredients other than the pork -- not even their Seis sauce -- and tasted like nothing. All the tacos were served in puddles of liquid. You couldn't pick them up and eat them. It was all a mess that tasted like nothing. And it was cold.

I don't even want to get into the nightmare of the last time I went to Campbell and East River.

Like I said, when they're on, they're on. I love their tacos when made right. But they seem to have a management problem.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Longhorned wrote: This last time at the Mercado they screwed up their al pastor tacos, their conchita pibil tacos, and their grilled shrimp taco special. The al pastor tacos had no ingredients other than the pork -- not even their Seis sauce -- and tasted like nothing. All the tacos were served in puddles of liquid. You couldn't pick them up and eat them. It was all a mess that tasted like nothing. And it was cold.
Screwing up al pastor should be considered a mortal sin. Im nearly willing to fly out there and slap someone from that kitchen in the face with a slab of raw pork butt.

Also, is there a forum for al pastor? I think I found my new internet obsession.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

TucsonClip wrote:
Longhorned wrote: This last time at the Mercado they screwed up their al pastor tacos, their conchita pibil tacos, and their grilled shrimp taco special. The al pastor tacos had no ingredients other than the pork -- not even their Seis sauce -- and tasted like nothing. All the tacos were served in puddles of liquid. You couldn't pick them up and eat them. It was all a mess that tasted like nothing. And it was cold.
Screwing up al pastor should be considered a mortal sin. Im nearly willing to fly out there and slap someone from that kitchen in the face with a slab of raw pork butt.

Also, is there a forum for al pastor? I think I found my new internet obsession.
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I want to.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html" target="_blank
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:Chef Alisah's is one of my favorite things about Tucson. Love the cevapi and bread. I haven't had seis yet but have been dying to try their breakfast burritos.
I love the breakfast burritos at Seis. love them.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

scumdevils86 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

If it's as good as Kenji's carne asada and carnitas, it'll be the tits
Formerly McLurvin
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

scumdevils86 wrote:

Ive picked up some pre-marinated version from some local taquerias, and *gasp*, even an ok one from Ralph's. Luckily, there is a great taco shop a few blocks from my house with amazing adobada, so I dont have to dive head first into making my own. Its close enough to al pastor that I can live with it cooked on a flat top.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

If it's as good as Kenji's carne asada and carnitas, it'll be the tits
Ive never made any of his recipes I dont like. His book is amazing as well.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This last time at the Mercado they screwed up their al pastor tacos, their conchita pibil tacos, and their grilled shrimp taco special. The al pastor tacos had no ingredients other than the pork -- not even their Seis sauce -- and tasted like nothing. All the tacos were served in puddles of liquid. You couldn't pick them up and eat them. It was all a mess that tasted like nothing. And it was cold.

I don't even want to get into the nightmare of the last time I went to Campbell and East River.

Like I said, when they're on, they're on. I love their tacos when made right. But they seem to have a management problem.
Hmm. I've only been to the Campbell/River one and the quality has been fairly consistent in 10+ trips.

On Chef Alisah's, I got the Cevapi/Sausages. They weren't bad, but nothing about them blew me away. The stuffed grape leaves as an appetizer impressed me a lot more.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just had dinner at Tito and Pep. Food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Great menu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:Just had dinner at Tito and Pep. Food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Great menu.
Good to hear, I've wanted to go. What'd you have?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Agustin Kitchen. What a great meal. I hadn’t realized it’s the same owners at Coronet, which is awesome. We had oysters, oso buco, and other stuff.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:Agustin Kitchen. What a great meal. I hadn’t realized it’s the same owners at Coronet, which is awesome. We had oysters, oso buco, and other stuff.
I definitely enjoyed it when sd86 and I were there 2 Sundays ago. I had the Veal crepinette and Mrs. Sd86 had the oysters.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Just had dinner at Tito and Pep. Food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Great menu.
Good to hear, I've wanted to go. What'd you have?
I had the trout and the wife had the bass. Plus they have really good appetizers.. amazing carrot dish and broccoli
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Tried Fiamme Pizza for the first time last night. I liked it a lot. Up there with Scordato's from that one time, and Scordato's is my favorite in town.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Went to Kaiku & Westbound at MSA Annex Friday night. Had the spicy Ramen and fried octopus balls which were both amazing. Westbound is an open air bar with cocktails on tap and a large beer/wine list.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Went there on Sat night, pretty good.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Original Cuisine at Ft. Lowell and Campbell... Best Chinese in town.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASUCatFan wrote:Original Cuisine at Ft. Lowell and Campbell... Best Chinese in town.
Pretty high praise. Two other highly rated Chinese places have opened recently too. Yu Zi Wei on Speedway and Tucson and Fatman Kitchen on Glenn and 1st have been getting nice reviews too.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin wrote:Looks like apartments are going up where Maloney's used to be.

http://tucson.com/business/proposed-apa ... aign=share" target="_blank

Closed http://www.fourthavenue.org/maloneys-ta ... 5LJoM6sVhI" target="_blank
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Flycatcher too. 4th Avenue is gentrifying. It sucks.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Boxcar on 4th Ave. is serving food now. I had a carne asada burro, which was mediocre (= amazing by non-Tucson standards), and the concept isn't creative, but it's hard to argue with sitting outside and drinking a beer.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:Boxcar on 4th Ave. is serving food now. I had a carne asada burro, which was mediocre (= amazing by non-Tucson standards), and the concept isn't creative, but it's hard to argue with sitting outside and drinking a beer.
This was prime time of year for afternoons/evenings on the patio at The Shanty when I lived in Tucson....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Boxcar on 4th Ave. is serving food now. I had a carne asada burro, which was mediocre (= amazing by non-Tucson standards), and the concept isn't creative, but it's hard to argue with sitting outside and drinking a beer.
This was prime time of year for afternoons/evenings on the patio at The Shanty when I lived in Tucson....
My favorite by far was the patio at the original Gentle Ben's. Just beautiful this time of year.

Can't even remember where it was at. Main gate is completely different and much more upscale.

Used to stay at watch Street Pajama perform inside.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pc in NM wrote:
It's already too hot to sit outside on a patio. Prime time is in the winter when it's like 65-70 outside

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
It's already too hot to sit outside on a patio.
Not for me, man. Bring it on.