Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m sure there are great bagel joints in NYC. But I can find a great Mexican restaurant in Dubai (as unbelievable as that sounds) . . . that doesn’t make Dubai the home of great Mexican food. To me, having to search the City for bagels that are so much better than everybody else’s bagels invalidates the notion that New York bagels are better.
That makes no sense to me.

We picked the closest bagel joint with seating to where we were staying. The bagels there were worlds better than anything in Chicago, LA, Arizona, or anywhere else I’ve lived. No search needed. NYC wins.
I noticed you didn't mention Des Moines, IA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well, nothing beats the Hartford of the West.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m sure there are great bagel joints in NYC. But I can find a great Mexican restaurant in Dubai (as unbelievable as that sounds) . . . that doesn’t make Dubai the home of great Mexican food. To me, having to search the City for bagels that are so much better than everybody else’s bagels invalidates the notion that New York bagels are better.

We picked the closest bagel joint with seating to where we were staying. The bagels there were worlds better than anything in Chicago, LA, Arizona, or anywhere else I’ve lived. No search needed. NYC wins.
For a lot of cuisines, folks in various cities will say: “I know a place here that’s as good as NYC!”

No one in NYC says: “This is as good as in (fill in the blank)”
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There are places in NYC where a just-made, soft, warm bagel has nothing to do with Einstein's or any chain. It's like comparing a Sonoran flour tortilla hot off the grill at a few select markets in Tucson with what wraps your Chipotle burrito in Springfield. Any Springfield.

But it's all good. I sincerely enjoy a toasted Trader Joe's bagel with all my favorite Trader Joe's fixings.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:

Absolutely correct. I lived and worked in NYC for 5 years after UofA before moving back west. There is no comparison to NYC bagels.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Success! An unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread. Fresh made bagel in NYC is no better than fresh made bagel anywhere else, I stand by this. Of course, I wouldn’t compare fresh made to a store bought package.
CalStateTempe wrote:Where is this Mexican food place in Dubai?

Dubai is a testament to global supply chain management.

The Denny’s there in Deria is spitting image of a posh Denny’s in a upper middle class US suburb. The only different is the turkey bacon/ham.

Yeah there are some funny things here—chain restaurants that have all but died out in the US but thriving here (not that Denny’s is dying out). There are two good Mexican places here, one old school and one new school haute cuisine. Old school is Maria Bonita in Jumeirah. The fancy place with the best salsa I’ve had anywhere has apparently closed since I left. It was in Souk al Bahar adjacent to Dubai Mall and was called Fuego. Mexican doesn’t do too well here. Not enough Americans and Mexicans and also they can’t use manteca or pork products which obviously isn’t a good thing for the menu.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

The government should never have prevented Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki from making 3 wheelers. They're still the most fun ATVs ever made.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:The government should never have prevented Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki from making 3 wheelers. They're still the most fun ATVs ever made.
Like George Carlin said: ruining everyone’s fun just to save a few lives. Nobody gets to ride a real ATV anymore, all in exchange for some jerks getting more time to jerk off, read People magazine, and eat at Wendy’s.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:The government should never have prevented Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki from making 3 wheelers. They're still the most fun ATVs ever made.
Like George Carlin said: ruining everyone’s fun just to save a few lives. Nobody gets to ride a real ATV anymore, all in exchange for some jerks getting more time to jerk off, read People magazine, and eat at Wendy’s.
If I can do all three at the same time, I’d gladly trade a three-wheel ATV ride.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I got a Yamaha 3-wheeler for Christmas when I was 10.

Almost didn’t live to see 11...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:
I got a Yamaha 3-wheeler for Christmas when I was 10.

Almost didn’t live to see 11...
Neighbor had a Honda. My east coast cousin got on it without a clue, we were probably 11 or 12, and jammed that thumb throttle wide open. We were on a dirt north east of River Road and Campbell. He had no idea how to turn the thing. He went right off the road straight down a hill and plowed through the biggest prickly pear cactus patch in all of the Sonoran Desert. Three flat tires and he was covered head to toe in those tiny orange stickers, like fur, that surround each spine. The neighbor kid was pissed and literally hours of tweezing ensued for my cousin.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Ball point pens are an abomination. They slew across the page drooling lube like a drunken crab. If Trump really needs to be a dictator he should mandate the use of No. 2 pencils. They have the perfect drag. They can be bitten for therapeutic effect much like popping bubble wrap. In a pinch they can be used to dig out ear wax, even though that's what car keys are for.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

There's no such thing as too much cilantro. It's a culinary impossibility.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Ball point pens are an abomination. They slew across the page drooling lube like a drunken crab. If Trump really needs to be a dictator he should mandate the use of No. 2 pencils. They have the perfect drag. They can be bitten for therapeutic effect much like popping bubble wrap. In a pinch they can be used to dig out ear wax, even though that's what car keys are for.
Traditional pencils become dull too quickly for those of us with small handwriting. Mechanical pencils are the only way to live.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

legallykenny wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Ball point pens are an abomination. They slew across the page drooling lube like a drunken crab. If Trump really needs to be a dictator he should mandate the use of No. 2 pencils. They have the perfect drag. They can be bitten for therapeutic effect much like popping bubble wrap. In a pinch they can be used to dig out ear wax, even though that's what car keys are for.
Traditional pencils become dull too quickly for those of us with small handwriting. Mechanical pencils are the only way to live.
Are you able to find mechanical pencils that secure the lead such that it doesn't rotate in the cylinder? The ones I have eventually lose gription.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

You can make really good baked mac and cheese with Velveeta.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:You can make really good baked mac and cheese with Velveeta.
First of all, thank you for bumping, and reminding us of the greatest thread ever.

Secondly (and not to detract from the potential unpopularity of your opinion), I sort of agree. Baked mac and cheese always seems to have an unpleasant texture to me because it isn't creamy enough. You could say that with Velveeta, it isn't mac and cheese anymore because Velveeta isn't cheese. But the other option is to make it with a mornay sauce, and I'm not sure that's mac and cheese, either.

I know a couple of places that make a great mac and cheese, but I bet it's made with Velveeta.

Otherwise, when it comes to "real" mac and cheese, I'm starting to think maybe I just don't like it. And with all the great baked pasta dishes in the world, I'm fine with that.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
Are you able to find mechanical pencils that secure the lead such that it doesn't rotate in the cylinder? The ones I have eventually lose gription.
I have used nothing but Staedtler 780 Mars or Koor-i-Noor 5611 Adapto since the year dot. The 5611 I got in junior high school (mid-1950's) is still in perfect order and I use it almost everyday at my desk. Grips lead like a mutherfocker. My old Koor-i-noor is made of metal, and I understand modern versions are plastic and break, so YMMV. I've got several 780's (again metal barrels) bouncing around the garage for the odd carpentry or cabinetry jobs and they have never failed.

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RichardCranium wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
I have used nothing but Staedtler 780 Mars or Koor-i-Noor 5611 Adapto since the year dot. The 5611 I got in junior high school (mid-1950's) is still in perfect order and I use it almost everyday at my desk. Grips lead like a mutherfocker. My old Koor-i-noor is made of metal, and I understand modern versions are plastic and break, so YMMV. I've got several 780's (again metal barrels) bouncing around the garage for the odd carpentry or cabinetry jobs and they have never failed.

I want.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Inside Man is Spike Lee’s best film.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
I want.
Available online, or more simply at 'good art supply stores everywhere'. The last 780 I bought I got at a university campus book store in Christchurch New Zealand. The 'technical name' for these is 'lead holder' not 'mechanical pencil' btw.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Every time a Senior Citizen breaks their hip, insurance payouts should factor in whether the result of the broken hip was due to said Senior Citizen involving themselves in an activity they clearly should've avoided at their age. For starters an 82 year old redoing his 25ft high roof.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:Inside Man is Spike Lee’s best film.
Black KKKlansman or He Got Game. Too close to call.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Any proud owner and driver of a GT Mustang is a douchebag
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Any proud owner and driver of a GT Mustang is a douchebag
You gotta try harder. I retired after posting the only unpopular opinion that was in fact . . . unpopular. :D
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Helluva lot of douchebags in Australia all of a sudden then.

Since Ford stopped manufacturing in Oz last years, all the bogans that used to buy Falcon GT coupes (Ford Australia kept the Falcon name alive) are getting Mustangs now and they are multiplying like cockroaches. It used to be that Mustangs were relatively rare because they were not officially imported to keep up demand for Falcon GT's, now they are officially imported. I think there are three in my street now.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Any proud owner of a Corvette newer than 1967 is entering the cheesy douchebag range. Everything from the 70s on is rancid cheesy.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Any proud owner of a Corvette newer than 1967 is entering the cheesy douchebag range. Everything from the 70s on is rancid cheesy.
Wrong thread.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Any proud owner of a Corvette newer than 1967 is entering the cheesy douchebag range. Everything from the 70s on is rancid cheesy.
Wrong thread.
Frayed knot.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
You gotta try harder. I retired after posting the only unpopular opinion that was in fact . . . unpopular. :D
Pure politics are the true unpopular opinions, and these days it’s hard to get anyone riled up, save Stephen A Smith, about non-politics.

But here goes - having “body positivity” means you’re fat.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
.... and expect someone to tell you you are beautiful.

~ Wilhoit's Law
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Perhaps someone will.

Half of anything is having a good attitude.

Of course the other half of anything is being good looking.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I prefer "gravitationally challenged".
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I taught my 3 year-old niece and nephew a song about being fat, in which I pointed at their bellies and shouted, "Fat!"

Guess what happened when I took them into Costco.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Yup, you handed them a loaded gun. Then took them to the zoo.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't ever take them to Walmart!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

SCCats wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Perhaps someone will.

Half of anything is having a good attitude.

Of course the other half of anything is being good looking.
In America, being good looking is everything, but strangely, lots of good looking Americans have bad attitudes that get worse the more they're told how good looking they are.

I'm with Jillian: healthy is sexy; healthy is beautiful.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
No one should be body-shamed, and the eye of the beholder shouldn't be either (hat tip to SCCats). But anti-shaming is not the spurious promise to every person they are the pillar of a gender archetype.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I like paying for everyday purchase with cash.

Gas, groceries, coffee, restaurants, take out, etc etc.

Fuck it, i love it!

It gives me control of my purchases and my budget in a way that my debit card never could. For me something about physically seeing myself pay paper money for items has made me a more discerning shopper and values my hard earned paycheck a bit more. Sure i still splurge on some items (European preserves) and it makes me appreciate them that much more. It makes me appreciate the stuff I have more. It makes me limit my gas spend on errands, been riding the bike more to the local market for stuff.

And we are spending so much less over the week saving that for other longer term goals.

I thought my wife was crazy when she suggested this idea, but so far one month it it’s working really well and sustainable.

I guess this is my one throwback hipster rage against the machine thing that I do these days. Lol real rebel, I know.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Aubrey Plaza is one of the three hottest women in Hollywood today.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Aubrey Plaza is one of the three hottest women in Hollywood today.
If you are talking about the whole package (looks, attitude, behavior, etc.) absolutely.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:Aubrey Plaza is one of the three hottest women in Hollywood today.
Agree
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, if the idea that Aubrey Plaza is one of the hottest women alive is an unpopular opinion, then the populace is fucking lying.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Who is she and why is she famous and where do you see her to get a sense of her “hotness”
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just keeping notes are we allowed to speak about a women’s hotness in the contemporary era?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Just keeping notes are we allowed to speak about a women’s hotness in the contemporary era?
Yes, if it's 1) Aubrey Plaza, and 2) a conceivably unpopular opinion.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ok back to the original question, who is she and what should I watch to get a measure of her hotness (h = looks + personality)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:Ok back to the original question, who is she and what should I watch to get a measure of her hotness (h = looks + personality)
She's most famous for being in the Parks and Rec show
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ah that makes sense.

I know little of pop culture from 2004-2015 due to professional training.