Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by Longhorned »

I love 60s and 70s food presentation. There was an old guy on Great British Bakeoff who the judges gave a hard time with because he couldn't lift himself out of that whole aesthetic.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Al dente is everything. Fresh pasta is overrated. Dry pasta > fresh if you have to choose but one.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Al dente is everything. Fresh pasta is overrated. Dry pasta > fresh if you have to choose but one.
There's some really toothy ones out there, too. Usually the ones that come in the bags with the rivets.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I find the whole “wholesome, family atmosphere, goody two-shoes” vibe at Chick-Fil-A incredibly offputting. There’s just something very Stepford Wives about the whole thing. I prefer my soul-destroying fast food delivered with a scowl and partaken between meth heads and crack addicts.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I find the whole “wholesome, family atmosphere, goody two-shoes” vibe at Chick-Fil-A incredibly offputting. There’s just something very Stepford Wives about the whole thing. I prefer my soul-destroying fast food delivered with a scowl and partaken between meth heads and crack addicts.
So...Phoenix or Tempe Rally's, then?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I find the whole “wholesome, family atmosphere, goody two-shoes” vibe at Chick-Fil-A incredibly offputting. There’s just something very Stepford Wives about the whole thing. I prefer my soul-destroying fast food delivered with a scowl and partaken between meth heads and crack addicts.
No, the Church's Chicken at Grant and Alvernon in Tucson.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
No, the Church's Chicken at Grant and Alvernon in Tucson.
What about the Alvarado Street Pioneer Chicken stand.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

One of my roommates is very upset about Petco's corporate decision to no longer sell dog and cat food containing artificial ingredients - meaning no more of her favorite Fancy Feast Chicken Pate. I've tried to transition this particular roommate to the all-natural foods Petco offers but she's told me "no, no, f-this, I might as well return to the shelter," which to any other human sounds like "meow, meow, meowwwww!"

So here's the unpopular part - given their primal, carnivorous stomachs, I don't think your pet is any better off eating all-natural Vs the processed stuff. I don't think the analogy to humans "eating better" quite matches for animals.

Now I buy her artificial Fancy Feast at Target.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I bet your roommate is hot, am I rite?

No man buys cat food for a roommates car unless she’s banging. Lol
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CatsbyAZ wrote:One of my roommates is very upset about Petco's corporate decision to no longer sell dog and cat food containing artificial ingredients - meaning no more of her favorite Fancy Feast Chicken Pate. I've tried to transition this particular roommate to the all-natural foods Petco offers but she's told me "no, no, f-this, I might as well return to the shelter," which to any other human sounds like "meow, meow, meowwwww!"

So here's the unpopular part - given their primal, carnivorous stomachs, I don't think your pet is any better off eating all-natural Vs the processed stuff. I don't think the analogy to humans "eating better" quite matches for animals.

Now I buy her artificial Fancy Feast at Target.
Wow, I’m in the exact same boat! Except my roommates will only eat Fancy Feast Tuna pate or ocean whitefish pate. So I just started ordering bulk from Chewy.com. Let’s hope Chewy doesn’t develop a conscience.

When they were young, they ate Sheba. Then Sheba switched from cans to plastic pouches. And like the good citizens they are, the Blues Brothers subsequently boycotted Sheba. Why it makes a difference to cats I’ll never know. Maybe they changed the formula, as well as the packaging.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CalStateTempe wrote:I bet your roommate is hot, am I rite?

Unless he’s a furry, I don’t think he’s attracted to his roommate. :lol:
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:

I think CST misread the reference to my "roommate" as female human whose cat I was buying food for. I meant the "roommate" as the cat.

:?:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

I think CST misread the reference to my "roommate" as female human whose cat I was buying food for. I meant the "roommate" as the cat.

:?:
Hangovers are a bitch at 38. :)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I totally took it as a discussion with a real female roommate who you buy cat food for and who strongly prefers organic for her cats.

I’ve lived with women like that before. Lol
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:I totally took it as a discussion with a real female roommate who you buy cat food for and who strongly prefers organic for her cats.

I’ve lived with women like that before. Lol
Me too. Trust me, there a lot more women out there who have all the wrong things in common with cats than don't. That's why most of them remain single. Stay away!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Charles Barkley is the most underrated player of all time. Behind Jordan (who shouldn't serve as a point of comparison for anyone), he's second to none in the history of the game, and is the best power forward ever. As an old man, I feel bad for all the young people who didn't watch him play live. Like Barkley himself said at the time, he was so good, it was like he was playing alone in the gym against imaginary opponents. Just really something to behold.

This newish video analysis preached to the choir, including me, and in spite of all the positive comments, it's an unpopular opinion:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Amazing thing about Barkley was that he was listed at 6'6", but measured at 6'4 5/8".

Secondly, his daughter went to the UA if memory serves.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Amazing thing about Barkley was that he was listed at 6'6", but measured at 6'4 5/8".

Secondly, his daughter went to the UA if memory serves.
Plus on Halloween he hands out full size candy bars.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

His treatment at the hands of popular opinion is just turrible.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:His treatment at the hands of popular opinion is just turrible.
They think he wasn't athel-etic.

And that he gambles too much instead of... What's that word white people use? Frugal! They think he isn't frugal.
cpt

Post by cpt »

I am pro-workplace silo. I know it is seemingly universally accepted that silos are bad. They’re not. Here’s my case for the workplace silo.

First, silos create the ultimate buy-in. This is YOURS - to make great, to fuck up or anything in-between. You feel good knowing there is something you can control, where your creativity and vision can be realized with little filtering by committee decision making.

Second, silos respect individual expertise. Not everyone has the same job, education, qualifications, unique set of skills. I assume that’s why employers actually give positions titles and recruit certain people for certain jobs. At the front end of the employment process, silos seem to be what an employer is looking for. I am a lawyer. There is no one else in my workplace of 22 other people that has that job. I should be looking for collaboration for what the law is or what legal advice to give? That undermines my unique qualifications and why you hired me in this job in the first place.

Third, silos – or at least the ability for some to work in them – respect that everyone is different. Not everyone is social. Not everyone enjoys collaboration. That doesn’t mean they are bad people or bad workers. They just need to be placed in a situation where they can best thrive. For many, that means being in a silo.

Fourth, and by far most important, silos create accountability. If something is in my area of responsibility and I have control over it, I am the one that is accountable for the results. I get the credit if its great. I get the blame if its not great. And I’m the one that can make adjustments if its less than great. That’s what is sorely lacking in today’s workplace: individual accountability. The breaking down of silos is the reason for that.

Stop looking to Google for the workplace of the future. The workplace of the future already happened. Let’s go back to the future and bring back silos. They are good for people and they are good for the workplace.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I am totally on board with that. My work is full steam ahead into agile project management processes and open framework collaboration blah blah and I hate it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My workplace switched from agile to Plan Build Run (PBR) which I don't think has worked anyplace.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

At my work, we all lay around and fart and think of Dante.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Platonists!

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m afraid I’ve lost my taste for bacon.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Merkin wrote:My workplace switched from agile to Plan Build Run (PBR) which I don't think has worked anyplace.
my workplaces went through so many bloody schemes that I lost count. Every effing project we'd start out blowing half the budget on training up on the latest and greatest methodology and then only using 7 out of 420 forms, none of the communication, none of the coordination, and then giving up and just use adhoc M$Excel spreadsheets and M$Planner stuff just to remember where everybody else was. I think I'm glad I retired just when agile was hitting big.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

jerryoftheday may be my favorite thing on the internet - opinion inspired by todays post.

im going to hell....
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

These are dark times. Matriarchal privilege runs amuck on the sidewalks of the world! Women have such entitlement to hoard space with heartless disregard of their knife-edged umbrellas and their belligerent bulging bags. I've been battered and abused (SOB!) and twice raked across the temple by these weaponized street predators!

The next time I'm sucker punched I swear my wife is gonna step up and throw down on these urban harpies! Matrimonial chivalry is not dead in the Dove family! No Ma'am!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Memes.... Stop fucking posting them

They are not as funny as you think they are.

Stop. Just stop.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

dovecanyoncat wrote:These are dark times. Matriarchal privilege runs amuck on the sidewalks of the world! Women have such entitlement to hoard space with heartless disregard of their knife-edged umbrellas and their belligerent bulging bags. I've been battered and abused (SOB!) and twice raked across the temple by these weaponized street predators!
Rhetorical, observational, pointless statement I know, BUT - Women just have so much MORE STUFF than men. More stuff carried around, more stuff crammed in their apartments/bedrooms, and way more overloaded into their fridges. If my apartment were designed for me, as in men, the fridge would be half the cubic feet, stove burners would go from 4 to 2, the closets wouldn't be walk-in, and the bathroom mirror wouldn't be floor to ceiling. Our merchandise economy thrives on how much MORE STUFF women have.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:Memes.... Stop fucking posting them

Stop. Just stop.
Some are. A lot aren't. But there are quality memes out there.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Stop. Just stop.
OK Boomer. :D
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Does that mean I can't post memes about our resident dumbass enfuego?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea most memes are garbage, especially appealing to boomers ;)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't even get the OK Boomer meme, really don't.

Although the one I saw with Timothy McVeigh as the original OK Boomer was clever since I got that one.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:I don't even get the OK Boomer meme, really don't.

Although the one I saw with Timothy McVeigh as the original OK Boomer was clever since I got that one.
I think it's kinda cringey and dumb myself, even though I fully support its message. Just is expressing despair at the general awfulness of most boomers.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Stop. Just stop.
OK Boomer. :D
My 14 year old keeps saying this to me!!!

I'm not a fucking Boomer, you Zoomer!
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Boomer’s just a state of mind. :lol:

Or so I’m told.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Don't reduce people to stereotypes, except me because I'm absolutely the distilled essence of an X'er, especially the bad stuff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:

Thanks Chi, I really had no idea.

Kind of surprised that took off though.

Just a side note, I am a tail end boomer, and we hate the early boomers since they took all the good jobs and good houses, and us tail boomers got the scraps.

So not all boomers are the same.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Just a side note, I am a tail end boomer, and we hate the early boomers since they took all the good jobs and good houses, and us tail boomers got the scraps.

And you guys have it easy compared to gen xers...and gen xers have it easy compared to millennials. Gen Zers are just whiny spoiled kids though...

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Still bet a lot of late boomers are getting pensions and social security and could afford college and a house on one income..
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:

It took off because some dipshit tweeted that calling someone “boomer” was like using “the n-word”. Of course he said n-word instead of nigger which immediately disproved his point entirely and the Internet proceeded to dunk on him.

I learned about a year or so ago that I am an Xennial. Right in that gray area between Gen-X and Millenials which means I played outside AND video games (often at the same time - thanks Gameboy!).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I think the xennial is right in that like 1977-1983 range?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yea I think the xennial is right in that like 1977-1983 range?
Yep. We are a micro-generation.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote: And you guys have it easy compared to gen xers...and gen xers have it easy compared to millennials. Gen Zers are just whiny spoiled kids though...
Yes.....Yes....Give yourself to the dark side. Gooood. Your inner curmudgeon has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your generation's place at my side!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:Still bet a lot of late boomers are getting pensions and social security and could afford college and a house on one income..

Oh yea, that was me. Darn good pension too, although my salary sucks. Also could not afford to buy the house I am living in right now based on its current value and my salary. My wife did stay at home to raise the kids.

My first semester tuition at the UA was $333 in 1981.

$333 in 1981 equals $969.42 in 2019.