Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by azgreg »

Breakfast for dinner tonight! First, dice up a pound of sugar glazed bacon. Next, dice up potatoes, red and green peppers, and onion and cook that in the left over bacon grease. Next scramble up some eggs and when they are about finished dump the bacon back in for a moment. Mix all together and you have Hobo Eggs.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Leslie Knope: Why would anyone eat anything other than breakfast foods?

Ron Swanson: Because they're idiots.

Teriyaki salmon, rice, mitsato radishes with rice vinegar
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Femcat got a new job that has her commuting into Chicago daily so I'm pulling double duty as Mr. Mom.

I don't cook, but I can follow a recipe.

Last night I made honey mustard ham & swiss mini biscuit sliders, tater tots, and steamed broccoli. Tonight I made "drunken" pork chops, which were basically simmered in beer, ketchup, and brown sugar (I should have added Worcestershire sauce or substituted A1 steak sauce for the ketchup), served over rice with green beans.

I figure if I can get really good at like 15 different meals then I might be able to keep my family somewhat happy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Home made chunky tomato basil soup and grilled cheese with havarti. Perfect
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Pea soup and pancakes because tomorrow I'm making yellowfin tuna steaks with pancetta and onion marmalade and what do you think of that?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Machaca burros.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Machaca burros.
With egg?
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

Cause I'm bored and in Phoenix by myself when I could be at a party...a glass of wine and a jacuzzi.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:Machaca burros.
With egg?
No, but that sounds great.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

mytwocents wrote:Cause I'm bored and in Phoenix by myself when I could be at a party...a glass of wine and a jacuzzi.
I hate parties, and just about any kind of raucous good time. One of my last attempts at that was hanging out with you and Chicat at that bar in Chicago about 15 years ago, when I got drunk and started to laugh at my conversations with fun, squealing women. I'd stick with the glass of wine and a jacuzzi.
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

Longhorned wrote:
mytwocents wrote:Cause I'm bored and in Phoenix by myself when I could be at a party...a glass of wine and a jacuzzi.
I hate parties, and just about any kind of raucous good time. One of my last attempts at that was hanging out with you and Chicat at that bar in Chicago about 15 years ago, when I got drunk and started to laugh at my conversations with fun, squealing women. I'd stick with the glass of wine and a jacuzzi.
Haha...omg that couldn't have been that long ago...And I'm sure I laughed at whatever convos you were having...unless I'm one of those squealers.....

and yeah, this party is Jay Glazer's SB party so I imagine I'd start smacking chicks around & get myself thrown out of VIP...and it's only Wednesday...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I swear to god, if I have to have one more Jason's Deli/Panera Bread Co Sandwich at some dinner time admin meeting, with stale pickles and salad, only to return home after my daughter is in bed...

t-minus 5 mo till bye bye academia. :)
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Last night it was this: Chicken (and bacon) Wellington. It was awesome.

the recipe: http://comfortablefood.com/chicken-bacon-wellington/
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Norwegian skrei cod, only available this time of year. They swim from the arctic and are caught by Norwegian fisherman. 10% receive the designation "skrei". Only about 70 pounds a day flying into O'Hare. It's surprisingly unremarkable. I'd stick with salmon.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I got a piazza from Rocco's. I tried the monthly special which was topped with spinach, green olive and anchovies. I had never tried anchovies before. Not half bad.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:Norwegian skrei cod, only available this time of year. They swim from the arctic and are caught by Norwegian fisherman. 10% receive the designation "skrei". Only about 70 pounds a day flying into O'Hare. It's surprisingly unremarkable. I'd stick with salmon.
Don't you buy some fish online?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Norwegian skrei cod, only available this time of year. They swim from the arctic and are caught by Norwegian fisherman. 10% receive the designation "skrei". Only about 70 pounds a day flying into O'Hare. It's surprisingly unremarkable. I'd stick with salmon.
Basically. There's a fishmonger in my neighborhood who calls in his daily orders to Fortune Fish:

http://www.fortunefishco.net/

I email him what I want and pick it up from the fishmonger the next day. To this day, my favorite fish is Norwegian fjord trout, which comes in 1 inch thick fatty red fillets. It's down to $12.99 a pound right now. When I treat myself and spend over $30 a pound on something, it's never as good as that. There's a great "sushi-grade" Scottish salmon (Loch du Art) for usually around $18.99 a pound. But it's nice to be seasonal with the various odd catches that happen at limited times. The skrei was $18.99 a pound. It was the best cod I've ever had, which is kind of like the best Dodge rental I've ever driven.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUCatFan wrote:I got a piazza from Rocco's. I tried the monthly special which was topped with spinach, green olive and anchovies. I had never tried anchovies before. Not half bad.
I was just talking to one of my son's friends about anchovies on pizza. He has never heard of it.

Used to be real popular in the 1970s, early 80s. Not sure why it dropped off in popularity but I was not a fan, just a little too salty.

Getting back into smoking since I purchased an electric smoker. My wood side smoker was great, but just too much work and a little too dangerous being that I replaced my back yard grass with wood chips.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:I got a piazza from Rocco's. I tried the monthly special which was topped with spinach, green olive and anchovies. I had never tried anchovies before. Not half bad.
I was just talking to one of my son's friends about anchovies on pizza. He has never heard of it.

Used to be real popular in the 1970s, early 80s. Not sure why it dropped off in popularity but I was not a fan, just a little too salty.

Getting back into smoking since I purchased an electric smoker. My wood side smoker was great, but just too much work and a little too dangerous being that I replaced my back yard grass with wood chips.
What model of electric smoker did you get?

In the 70s and 80s, most pizza makers in America didn't understand that anchovies = salt at 1:1 ratio. That destroyed most pizzas with anchovies. In the 1990s, they reduced the anchovies by half, and more since. Today, they pizza chef merely shows the anchovy to the pizza.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I bought this one here when Amazon had it for $129 in December: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00104 ... tions09-20

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Basically. There's a fishmonger in my neighborhood who calls in his daily orders to Fortune Fish:

I email him what I want and pick it up from the fishmonger the next day. To this day, my favorite fish is Norwegian fjord trout, which comes in 1 inch thick fatty red fillets. It's down to $12.99 a pound right now. When I treat myself and spend over $30 a pound on something, it's never as good as that. There's a great "sushi-grade" Scottish salmon (Loch du Art) for usually around $18.99 a pound. But it's nice to be seasonal with the various odd catches that happen at limited times. The skrei was $18.99 a pound. It was the best cod I've ever had, which is kind of like the best Dodge rental I've ever driven.
can I order direct from there? there are a few okay butcher shops in Tucson...but I don't know of any quality fishmonger.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

can I order direct from there? there are a few okay butcher shops in Tucson...but I don't know of any quality fishmonger.
No because the fish are flown into O'Hare and then trucked to locations in Illinois, Michigan, northern Indiana, and Wisconsin.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:I bought this one here when Amazon had it for $129 in December: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00104 ... tions09-20

So should I get that one? I don't want to smoke gigantic quantities at a time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

moules-frites: mussels steamed in shallots and ale, with french fries.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Homemade chicken pot pies.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Larb. Ground turkey, pork and mushrooms browned. Mixed with a sauce made of key lime juice, fish sauce, Thai chiles, garlic, sugar, shallots, Thai basil, mint and cilantro. Topped with toasted jasmine rice and chili powder. Over a salad of bok Choy, green beans, green onions and cucumber
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Love me some larb. That sounds fantastic.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:Love me some larb. That sounds fantastic.
It was amazing. Perfect contrast of flavors and textures. And only 280 calories for a huge bowl!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Buy Ora King salmon as soon as you come across it. Probably the best fish I ever had. I did a teriyaki.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My in-laws served me something that can only loosely be described as food.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:Buy Ora King salmon as soon as you come across it. Probably the best fish I ever had. I did a teriyaki.
Man, I am jealous you get your hands on such good fish. Here It is the same thing everywhere you go. Only fresh fish is tilapia and occasionally some farmed color added salmon. Most things are frozen and the variety can be boiled down to salmon, ahi, tilapia, halibut, catfish, trout, mahi mahi and cod. I never see anything else.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

god I hate tilapia. Mushy texture. Slightly muddy taste. That's probably what Chicat ate at the in-laws.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:god I hate tilapia. Mushy texture. Slightly muddy taste. That's probably what Chicat ate at the in-laws.
I wish. Although I hate Tilapia too.

No, the in-laws served a traditional turkey-mashed potato-broccoli-salad-dinner roll meal where everything was previously frozen and cooked either in a bag or came out of a box. Everything but the turkey was microwaved, and the turkey was easily still the worst thing on the menu. It was one of those processed, pre-marinated, pre-sliced, roast in a bag things that you probably figure passes for haute cuisine out here in the Indiana boondocks.

I honestly feel sick just thinking about it. They're wonderful people, but if they ever serve me and my kids grade D shit like that again I may have to divorce their daughter.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:god I hate tilapia. Mushy texture. Slightly muddy taste. That's probably what Chicat ate at the in-laws.
I wish. Although I hate Tilapia too.

No, the in-laws served a traditional turkey-mashed potato-broccoli-salad-dinner roll meal where everything was previously frozen and cooked either in a bag or came out of a box. Everything but the turkey was microwaved, and the turkey was easily still the worst thing on the menu. It was one of those processed, pre-marinated, pre-sliced, roast in a bag things that you probably figure passes for haute cuisine out here in the Indiana boondocks.

I honestly feel sick just thinking about it. They're wonderful people, but if they ever serve me and my kids grade D shit like that again I may have to divorce their daughter.
Back in the college/courting days my ex-father-in-law used to pick up a Little Caesar's pizza pizza at lunch on Fridays and toss in his trunk. Tucson. He'd bring it home after work and they'd microwave it for a fun Friday dinner before my ex-brother-in-law's football games at Salpointe. Microwaved Little Caesar's. 5 hours later. Never understood what was so inconvenient about picking up a pizza on the way home. Strangest people I ever knew.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Papa Del's pizza with black olives and anchovies
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harris Teeter 5 dollar footlongs, which are HUGE and filled with meat and all the fix ins.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Had a bunch of leftover meat in my fridge, tri-tip, hamburgers and bacon.

Threw it together and made some chili.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm making French Onion Soup.

The smell in my whole house is indescribably incredible at the moment.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:I'm making French Onion Soup.

The smell in my whole house is indescribably incredible at the moment.
wonder if it is as good as mine ;)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I made french onion soup last week, awfully good, so I offer mine in the mix.

Threw some leftover sirloin in it for some protein.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm using cave-aged gruyere. So you both can take your velveeta topped cambell's soup and suck it.

;)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:I'm using cave-aged gruyere. So you both can take your velveeta topped cambell's soup and suck it.

;)
I can't stop with the cave-aged gruyere. Last night I made a baked mac-and-cheese with a gruyere mornay sauce. Outstanding. Tonight I made grilled cheese sandwiches with gruyere. How can a cheese that tastes so amazing also melt so perfectly?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bush baked beans and wieners last night.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Goat cheese-stuffed bacon-wrapped jalapenos smoked/grilled to perfection on the Weber kettle. Came home from the gym last night and the friendly Canadian GF had a large platter of them prepped and ready for the grill. Washed 'em down with a couple of beers and a couple of episodes of Sons of Anarchy. Nice effort for a Monday.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Arctic char roasted with potatoes, cabbage salad
gumby

Post by gumby »

I hand-carved some turkey and placed it on hand-made sandwiches. I don't find this to be remarkable, but some menus do.

Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Percocet and a couple of New Castles. Mmmm Mmmm.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Percocet and a couple of New Castles. Mmmm Mmmm.
I'm jealous.

Tonight I made homemade chicken nuggets with french fries and green beans. Or with pomme frits and haricot vert if you want to be a fancy pants about it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
I'm jealous.

Tonight I made homemade chicken nuggets with french fries and green beans. Or with pomme frits and haricot vert if you want to be a fancy pants about it.
I'm trying to deal with a frozen shoulder right now and it's kicking my ass.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I'm jealous.

I'm trying to deal with a frozen shoulder right now and it's kicking my ass.
Oh, I just assumed it was recreational. :D