Job Search Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Job Search Thread

Post by CalStateTempe »

A thread to ask and answer questions about "the job search"

Currently undergoing a job search to start in July 2015. So far, a lot of options, I'm going to have my pick. Which is a good problem to have. Some are near family, some are in the boonies, some have great career advancement opportunities, some are stable with good mentorship, others a bit more risky in terms of work to reward ratio.

I've been told of a first job (which truth be told, this is mine given the insane amount of schooling and training) that there are three qualities to look for and in most situations you can only get 2 out of 3:

Good Job

I don't know if its appropriate but I like to think of the career trajectory of my favorite college coaches: Go to a position where you can really make a difference, build your portfolio, and demonstrate your talents, then compete for a position with greater visibility/more favorable location. But there is something to be said for going to a favorable location for less pay and being content with what you have.

I know this is rambling, just some of my inner monologe and its late here. But curious to hear other peoples stories/experience with job searches and any wisdom for the decision making process.
Longhorned

Re: Job Search Thread

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:A thread to ask and answer questions about "the job search"

Currently undergoing a job search to start in July 2015. So far, a lot of options, I'm going to have my pick. Which is a good problem to have. Some are near family, some are in the boonies, some have great career advancement opportunities, some are stable with good mentorship, others a bit more risky in terms of work to reward ratio.
This is as expected as it is deserved by you for all of your hard work and your very ability to make it all the way through. I had a total of two viable offers when I was first on the market, and two non-tenure-track offers that I didn't consider.
CalStateTempe wrote:I've been told of a first job (which truth be told, this is mine given the insane amount of schooling and training) that there are three qualities to look for and in most situations you can only get 2 out of 3:

Good Job
Maybe most people can get a max of 2, but if you have your pick, why not go for all three? In my opinion, for example, that could be Tucson.
CalStateTempe wrote:I don't know if its appropriate but I like to think of the career trajectory of my favorite college coaches: Go to a position where you can really make a difference, build your portfolio, and demonstrate your talents, then compete for a position with greater visibility/more favorable location. But there is something to be said for going to a favorable location for less pay and being content with what you have.

I know this is rambling, just some of my inner monologe and its late here. But curious to hear other peoples stories/experience with job searches and any wisdom for the decision making process.
It's not appropriate because coaches are like academics in that they're lucky to get even one offer. First-time assistants need some kind of relationship. First-time HC's go to some podunk place because that's where somebody takes a chance on them, and then they build a successful winner and take a better offer. I think you should use those online calculators to consider the cost-of-living in relation to the salary offers and live work and consider all trade-offs, but live where you'd enjoy or where you'd get the most career and personal satisfaction. Of course, you'll also have to consider the wife's opportunities.

Enjoy it all. If you get too many offers and find yourself visiting too many places in too little time, then contract for a reality TV show called Extreme Interview.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:A thread to ask and answer questions about "the job search"

This is as expected as it is deserved by you for all of your hard work and your very ability to make it all the way through. I had a total of two viable offers when I was first on the market, and two non-tenure-track offers that I didn't consider.
CalStateTempe wrote:I've been told of a first job (which truth be told, this is mine given the insane amount of schooling and training) that there are three qualities to look for and in most situations you can only get 2 out of 3:

Good Job
Maybe most people can get a max of 2, but if you have your pick, why not go for all three? In my opinion, for example, that could be Tucson.
CalStateTempe wrote:I don't know if its appropriate but I like to think of the career trajectory of my favorite college coaches: Go to a position where you can really make a difference, build your portfolio, and demonstrate your talents, then compete for a position with greater visibility/more favorable location. But there is something to be said for going to a favorable location for less pay and being content with what you have.

It's not appropriate because coaches are like academics in that they're lucky to get even one offer. First-time assistants need some kind of relationship. First-time HC's go to some podunk place because that's where somebody takes a chance on them, and then they build a successful winner and take a better offer. I think you should use those online calculators to consider the cost-of-living in relation to the salary offers and live work and consider all trade-offs, but live where you'd enjoy or where you'd get the most career and personal satisfaction. Of course, you'll also have to consider the wife's opportunities.

Enjoy it all. If you get too many offers and find yourself visiting too many places in too little time, then contract for a reality TV show called Extreme Interview.
Thanks LH, appreciate the advice. I admire academics, like yourself, who are dedicated to discovering knowledge to better the human condition. I was on that track at one point, but realized I was following it for other people's/institution's goals and not really my own. It is certainly unfortunate that the job climate is so tenuous for people who really have the "stick-to-it-ness" to obtain an PhD and become faculty.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

(Well, I'll tell anyone I actually like not to even try to go into the humanities. You can have as much stick-to-it-ness and abilities as you need, and still not have a chance.)
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ISIS is on the lookout for a skilled professional to manage its failing oil refineries and has been using black-market agents to advertise the $225,000 ($NZ290,000) post.

The terrorist organisation is said to have captured 11 oil fields in Iraq and Syria during its campaign of terror and was predicted by oil-industry insiders to be making around $NZ4m per day.

But a string of fatal accidents and trade bans have seen its profits drop drastically. Reports surfaced last year of the group threatening to kill employees' families if they didn't comply with ISIS demands on their rigs.

Robin Mills, at Manaar Energy, a consultancy firm in Dubai, has confirmed the reports but believes ISIS will struggle to attract the best staff with the pay packet they are offering.
"The money is good, but it's not that good. A western oil exec posted to Iraq right now, let alone working for ISIS, would expect to earn a lot more than that."

It's believed ISIS has also struggled to attract big buyers for its oil.

Matthew Reed, a Washington-based oil analyst in the Middle East, told CBC News last month: 'No big traders, no serious companies are going to fool around with that oil.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/wanted-isi ... in-6121628
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

So after everything I've gone through to get to the point where NAU has created a job for me, this week the new governor announces a plan including hiring freezes that could negate the possible hire.

Awesome
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:So after everything I've gone through to get to the point where NAU has created a job for me, this week the new governor announces a plan including hiring freezes that could negate the possible hire.

Awesome
These things or the equivalent always happen right at the point of success. It's just to deflate you, but the hire will go through. Once it does, do you plan on going on the market nationally next year for a probationary permanent position?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:So after everything I've gone through to get to the point where NAU has created a job for me, this week the new governor announces a plan including hiring freezes that could negate the possible hire.

Awesome
These things or the equivalent always happen right at the point of success. It's just to deflate you, but the hire will go through. Once it does, do you plan on going on the market nationally next year for a probationary permanent position?
Technically this hire would be pretty permanent, as my school has not let go of a Lecturer in the 8 years I've been here. At some point I may have to, but we are building something great here, with the new Photo program, and I know my immediate colleagues all want me here.

Doucey did say that schools need to spend more within the classrooms, on better educators, so maybe the freeze, if it happens, will only apply to non-teaching? You can't just not have teachers.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Awesome
Technically this hire would be pretty permanent, as my school has not let go of a Lecturer in the 8 years I've been here. At some point I may have to, but we are building something great here, with the new Photo program, and I know my immediate colleagues all want me here.

Doucey did say that schools need to spend more within the classrooms, on better educators, so maybe the freeze, if it happens, will only apply to non-teaching? You can't just not have teachers.
I've been through this discussion twice, and the freeze doesn't reach non-teaching staff. Lecturers generate tuition dollars valued above and in the unit. Staff provide assistance that can be construed as non-essential. Admins and faculty want the lecturers, and even more than they say they do. You can't change a curriculum overnight, but you can serve it. And when faculty seek reduced teaching loads and leaves, that's the same thing as saying that you need lecturers. You don't have a problem until there's a conflict of interest with the vision of the tenure-line faculty.

As far as free agency goes, I don't have your open heart or your loyalty. I don't trust institutions to value teachers or students next year like they do this year. I've seen people say one thing and then do another, had colleagues and admins turn hostile, and I've needed the protections of a different kind of contract applicable rules and procedures. I built my portfolio for the things that led other institutions to give me those things, and not at the expense of building the institution that didn't. I know I'm an ass for saying so, but my institution ponies up when others put an offer on the table.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Think big and long-term CST!

I just got a new job in a great place. PM if you want to talk.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Budget cut of 75 million to universities. I'm guessing my job is toast, regardless of a hiring freeze.

Probably my current instructor line as well.

Figures.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

thanks doug! that sucks man
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The new governor of Illinois (also a Republican) just told all state agencies they need to cut 20% from every line item in their budget. I can't even imagine what that's going to mean for state universities, but I know it's already affected the marketing people I work with at places like the University of Illinois.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:Budget cut of 75 million to universities. I'm guessing my job is toast, regardless of a hiring freeze.

Probably my current instructor line as well.

Figures.
So who will teach the students who will have a another tuition hike due to the cut funding? Why would that involve a mass cut of lecturers? Why you? The size of the classrooms and labs, not to mention safety codes, limits the student to instructor ratio.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:The new governor of Illinois (also a Republican) just told all state agencies they need to cut 20% from every line item in their budget. I can't even imagine what that's going to mean for state universities, but I know it's already affected the marketing people I work with at places like the University of Illinois.
Tuition, tuition, tuition. And rewarding the academic programs that attract tuition dollars: business, architecture, engineering. Same as it is everywhere.

I'll vote for anyone who promises to raise taxes. The problem is, not enough other people will.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:The new governor of Illinois (also a Republican) just told all state agencies they need to cut 20% from every line item in their budget. I can't even imagine what that's going to mean for state universities, but I know it's already affected the marketing people I work with at places like the University of Illinois.
Tuition, tuition, tuition. And rewarding the academic programs that attract tuition dollars: business, architecture, engineering. Same as it is everywhere.

I'll vote for anyone who promises to raise taxes. The problem is, not enough other people will.
The School of Communication is one of the fastest growing schools at NAU, and one of only a handful projected to keep increasing over next four years. My two programs have increased by nearly 40%. My job isn't an anticipated job, it's a position that fills 8 courses a year that are already filled by students and that don't have any current faculty able to fill them. My classes are already at 40-50 students per section.

It'd be nice if actual need wins out. I mean, who else will teach these already filled sections of core/intro courses in growing/money-making programs?

Guess we'll see.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

The good news is NAU isn't unfamiliar with this, having to slash budget multiple times, even during my years of hire, and the school I work In keeps growing in students and faculty like Instructors/Lecturers. I'd say 60% of classes are taught by non-tenure elibible positions, maybe 70%.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

The School of Communication is one of the fastest growing schools at NAU, and one of only a handful projected to keep increasing over next four years. My two programs have increased by nearly 40%. My job isn't an anticipated job, it's a position that fills 8 courses a year that are already filled by students and that don't have any current faculty able to fill them. My classes are already at 40-50 students per section.

It'd be nice if actual need wins out. I mean, who else will teach these already filled sections of core/intro courses in growing/money-making programs?

Guess we'll see.
That's what they call a "net generating unit". Other units in the college depend on them because the revenue gets passed around. That gives the growing units buffering against cuts, while other units get cuts to services and staff and get combined with other units to share resources. You're not on the front lines and you won't even get drafted for this war.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Our college Dean was the former vice provost of the current provost, so I'm hoping that connection helps our school, as our dean is very numbers based and has been on the front lines in our battle for growth. She was the one who identified our growing need and increased the lecturer and instructor slots yearly.

Of course if NAU quit spending 30 million yearly on construction costs, this might not even be a concern.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (Jan. 16, 2015) — Northern Arizona University recognizes the current fiscal condition of Arizona and understands that Gov. Ducey and the Legislature face difficult decisions in balancing the budget of our state.

The reduction proposed today by the governor will be challenging to manage as we remain committed to increasing the number of Arizonans who obtain a bachelor’s degree, creating new pathways for access to college and generating more research advances and inventions. Arizona’s universities contribute greatly to the Arizona economy, and now more than ever it is imperative that we double down on these efforts to advance Arizona’s economic comeback.

NAU adopted far-reaching efficiency measures during the great recession when the universities shouldered a significant share of the budget reductions as state appropriations to NAU dropped by more than 36 percent at its lowest point. On a per-student basis, when state funding and tuition are combined, NAU is operating at about $1,500 less than in 2007-08.

NAU students and their families have picked up a larger portion of the cost of a university education during this time.

At the same time, NAU has begun reexamining every aspect of its operation to see how budgets can be trimmed even further. Reductions will not be easy as NAU has been fiscally conservative while implementing extensive cost-saving measures over the past seven years. Yet all options will be considered in addressing this reduction while we continue to emphasize maintaining a quality educational experience for our students.

NAU’s commitment to students is unwavering. Even during the last state budget cuts NAU maintained the Pledge tuition program, guaranteeing a flat tuition rate for four-years for our undergraduate students. This is part of our commitment to a predictable cost of attending and graduating from NAU. Our message to Arizona high school students is that a university education is within reach—work hard, aim high and do not be deterred in meeting your goals. Arizona needs university graduates and our rhetoric and policies must support this goal.

The Arizona Board of Regents, in collaboration with the universities, has proposed several legislative initiatives to allow increased operational flexibility in the entrepreneurial spirit endorsed by Gov. Ducey. We look forward to working with the Governor and the Legislature to redefine the relationship between the state and Arizona’s universities in a way that encourages growth, vitality and performance.

NAU’s campus community will be engaging in a number of planning sessions to discuss critical priorities and necessary cuts. We will share these plans with policy makers as they are developed.
Nothing immediate about canceling searches, so that seems like a positive.

The difference here is we have a new University President, so I honestly have no idea what she is capable of, if she's a fighter, a compromiser, a push-over; if she has foresight is present-focused.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:

This is my new voting strategy as well.

I can safely say I will pull the lever against all R in upcoming elections because I can't stand what there are doing and want to do to this nation at all civic levels.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

As of today and for the immediate going forward, from the provost to the dean to the director, the current searches are all cleared to be completed and positions to be hired.

We'll see, but that's a big statement.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

JMarkJohns wrote:The good news is NAU isn't unfamiliar with this, having to slash budget multiple times, even during my years of hire, and the school I work In keeps growing in students and faculty like Instructors/Lecturers. I'd say 60% of classes are taught by non-tenure elibible positions, maybe 70%.

UA having a walkout:

http://tucson.com/news/local/education/ ... ?id=201408

Fed up with growing workloads and a decade of stagnant wages, a group of adjunct faculty members at the University of Arizona has announced plans for a 90-minute walkout later this month.

The lunchtime demonstration Feb. 25 will coincide with National Adjunct Walkout Day, being organized nationwide by the Service Employees International Union.

About 40 percent of UA faculty members are non-tenure track and “work for significantly less pay with minimal resources and job security,” said John Washington, a lecturer in the school’s English department and one of the walkout organizers.

In his department, Washington said a full-time adjunct instructor earns $33,000 a year before taxes, an amount that hasn’t changed in 10 years.

“In order to create working conditions that will allow us to meet the educational goals of this great university, UA non-tenure track faculty need multi-year contracts, paths to promotion, reduced class sizes and equitable pay” in line with peer institutions,” he said.

The push for adjunct pay raises comes as UA is facing the possible loss of about $22 million in state funding next school year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:The good news is NAU isn't unfamiliar with this, having to slash budget multiple times, even during my years of hire, and the school I work In keeps growing in students and faculty like Instructors/Lecturers. I'd say 60% of classes are taught by non-tenure elibible positions, maybe 70%.

UA having a walkout:

http://tucson.com/news/local/education/ ... ?id=201408

Fed up with growing workloads and a decade of stagnant wages, a group of adjunct faculty members at the University of Arizona has announced plans for a 90-minute walkout later this month.

The lunchtime demonstration Feb. 25 will coincide with National Adjunct Walkout Day, being organized nationwide by the Service Employees International Union.

About 40 percent of UA faculty members are non-tenure track and “work for significantly less pay with minimal resources and job security,” said John Washington, a lecturer in the school’s English department and one of the walkout organizers.

In his department, Washington said a full-time adjunct instructor earns $33,000 a year before taxes, an amount that hasn’t changed in 10 years.

“In order to create working conditions that will allow us to meet the educational goals of this great university, UA non-tenure track faculty need multi-year contracts, paths to promotion, reduced class sizes and equitable pay” in line with peer institutions,” he said.

The push for adjunct pay raises comes as UA is facing the possible loss of about $22 million in state funding next school year.
Keep in mind that "full-time" for adjuncts involves teaching 8 courses per year, whereas "full-time" for tenure-line faculty involves teaching 4 courses per year, at 2 to 3 times the salary of adjuncts. Worse yet, universities avoid hiring adjuncts full-time to avoid paying out benefits, and the adjuncts end up precariously driving long distances to stretch their non-benefited full-time work between the university and multiple JUCO's. One reason why all this a problem is because 40% of the teaching at Arizona and similar institutions who don't have time for uncompensated research, and therefore 40% of the teaching isn't research-driven. So there's no real authority or expertise behind 40% of the learning that students are trying to accomplish while at the university.

One solution that's taking place is putting an end to the reduced teaching loads enjoyed by certain groups of faculty who basically voted it in for themselves. That will cut adjuncts, forcing people out of their low-paying jobs. But what's really needed is higher taxes to fund more tenure-track lines. Nobody votes for higher taxes, so we're left with the unsolvable problem unless any of you have a better idea.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Looks like my company is transitioning to a new model that would necessitate the closing of my school. I've been miserable at my job for the past two years, but starting over again is kind of scary. There is a new position being created that I think I'd be good at, and if the money is right, I think I'll put my name in the hat. Otherwise, I think it's time to get out of education and make some money. Doing what is the question.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUCatFan wrote:Looks like my company is transitioning to a new model that would necessitate the closing of my school. I've been miserable at my job for the past two years, but starting over again is kind of scary. There is a new position being created that I think I'd be good at, and if the money is right, I think I'll put my name in the hat. Otherwise, I think it's time to get out of education and make some money. Doing what is the question.
How about circus llama training?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

azgreg wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:Looks like my company is transitioning to a new model that would necessitate the closing of my school. I've been miserable at my job for the past two years, but starting over again is kind of scary. There is a new position being created that I think I'd be good at, and if the money is right, I think I'll put my name in the hat. Otherwise, I think it's time to get out of education and make some money. Doing what is the question.

Perfect!

The good thing about all of this is I have a few months to figure it out. The bad thing is that my savings have been recovering very slowly after the divorce and I don't have much margin for error when it comes to finding a job that pays a comparable amount before I wind up homeless.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Perfect!

The good thing about all of this is I have a few months to figure it out. The bad thing is that my savings have been recovering very slowly after the divorce and I don't have much margin for error when it comes to finding a job that pays a comparable amount before I wind up homeless.
PhD in psychology with killer statement of purpose on the application about teen psychology and education based on your previous experience and degrees. Then, once admitted to the program, change your focus to something you're actually interested in (psychology connects to everything). Spend your 30s living in apartment bachelor pads, wearing turtle necks and long facial hair, reading interesting literature on your own sofa, dating TA's, and, of course, smoking cannabis and eating toast. Publish several multi-author papers where you leave the heavy lifting to the other authors, thereby beefing up your CV to land a great job where the only money involved is your salary and the reimbursements you get for conferences in Rio and Hong Kong.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm actually really interested in Psychology and I have considered going back to school, but I just managed to finish paying off the first $10k of my student loan (bringing it down to $22,000) and I'm not that excited about the prospect of quadrupling it to go back to grad school.

More education is definitely an option, though.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:I'm actually really interested in Psychology and I have considered going back to school, but I just managed to finish paying off the first $10k of my student loan (bringing it down to $22,000) and I'm not that excited about the prospect of quadrupling it to go back to grad school.

Have the department fully fund you.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:I'm actually really interested in Psychology and I have considered going back to school, but I just managed to finish paying off the first $10k of my student loan (bringing it down to $22,000) and I'm not that excited about the prospect of quadrupling it to go back to grad school.

Easier said than done no?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Easier said than done no?
No, nowadays the vast, vast majority of acceptances are fully funded. You don't admit without funding. For PhD's I mean.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Updates as of today:

Searches, including my line, are still operating and filling the approved, budgeted job positions. As of today, NAU expects searches will be completed.

Waiver Lines will exist, but funding across the university for them is expected to decline from 8-10 million annually to 7-8 million range steady for next few years, with preference given to growing programs in growing schools.

Programs will likely be reviewed, as will tenure faculty, for possible cuts/buyouts, which may factor in here since program chair has told me she plans on teaching another 3-5 years. Without her program dips beneath the 2 Tenure cut line and becomes subject for review. That said, she's been a huge advocate of mine and I doubt she wants her exit legacy being that of the person who ended a healthy program.

Director of school urged committees to hurry the hell up with the searches. So, hopefully I get called for interviews soon. It be great if this was done by Spring Break.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:Updates as of today:

Searches, including my line, are still operating and filling the approved, budgeted job positions. As of today, NAU expects searches will be completed.

Waiver Lines will exist, but funding across the university for them is expected to decline from 8-10 million annually to 7-8 million range steady for next few years, with preference given to growing programs in growing schools.

Programs will likely be reviewed, as will tenure faculty, for possible cuts/buyouts, which may factor in here since program chair has told me she plans on teaching another 3-5 years. Without her program dips beneath the 2 Tenure cut line and becomes subject for review. That said, she's been a huge advocate of mine and I doubt she wants her exit legacy being that of the person who ended a healthy program.

Director of school urged committees to hurry the hell up with the searches. So, hopefully I get called for interviews soon. It be great if this was done by Spring Break.
Good. Some faculty make the mistake of expecting their shrinking units to get funding to keep them in check or revive them. That's not how it works. It's the growing ones with measurable outputs that get the hires approved.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Teachers are a good background to be corporate trainers and they can make decent money. You might look into it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Phone interview this Wednesday.

:)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMar Johns wrote:Phone interview this Wednesday.

:)
On an actual phone without video? The reason why I ask is because I invented, and should patent, a technique to kill every phone interview so thoroughly that not even anyone on the short list can make up the distance and you eventually get the job.

Once you get the names of the people who will conduct the phone interview, make some print-outs of those names beneath photos of the least impressive and least intimidating faces you can find on the internet. Then set those print-outs in front of you, make eye contact with the photo each time an individual speaks to you, and address and respond directly to the image in the photo. Your confidence goes through the roof.

For example:

Michael Wilcox

Sarah Baxter
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Perfect!

PhD in psychology with killer statement of purpose on the application about teen psychology and education based on your previous experience and degrees. Then, once admitted to the program, change your focus to something you're actually interested in (psychology connects to everything). Spend your 30s living in apartment bachelor pads, wearing turtle necks and long facial hair, reading interesting literature on your own sofa, dating TA's, and, of course, smoking cannabis and eating toast. Publish several multi-author papers where you leave the heavy lifting to the other authors, thereby beefing up your CV to land a great job where the only money involved is your salary and the reimbursements you get for conferences in Rio and Hong Kong.
This might be why higher education costs are completely out of control in this country.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Tomorrow from 11:30 - noon.

Lots of in-house applicants already advancing to in-person.

I think there's a huge push to keep us in-house instructors.

I've had about a half-dozen colleagues wish me luck and good vibes tomorrow.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Considering they called me on the wrong extension to start the interview, despite initial awkwardness and clumsy intro answer, I think most of the interview went strong.

Should know about second phone interview next week.

Fingers crossed.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

So I told my employer that I wouldn't be returning next year on Friday and walked in today to an email from one of the upper managers asking to call them. Apparently they are creating a new position just for me that will include training that will lead me down a new and much more interesting career path. I would be making the same amount of money to start but there would be a lot of room for growth.

I guess it's good to be valued.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm currently locked in a tough a negotiation where they'll either give me what I need to do my job, or I'll just keep taking the salary and stop "serving" so I can focus on moving elsewhere.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Maybe it's just me, and I might be reacting out of past slights, but I am getting a sense I'm about to be failed by people who told me to my face they were on my side.

Been a week since my interview and nothing.

More importantly, I'm just getting vibes from everyone. Like I'm the only one who doesn't know I'm gone.

Hope not.

Nothing like a job search to make you paranoid.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

With all the cuts to the three in-state universities the legislature passed, JMJ, I'd seriously stop losing sleep over this and work on a backup plan.

You could be Diane Arbus working for that dep't. for free and you wouldn't be kept around if all their budget was committed to pensions and tenured profs.

It's nothing at all against you or your professional abilities, which are prodigious. The educated are being cut out of positions in this state where they can make a difference.

I have had my superiors fail to back me at every level of ed. just for doing my job. Do NOT f*cking count on these people to come through for you. For your own sake, man.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Right now everybody is looking at me for hints about their continued employment. But even though they've been interviewed and monitored in every way, no conversations have happened yet. I'm not hiding anything because there's nothing to hide. There's a lot of stages that take a long time. And while there are coming budget cuts, there are also additional opportunities to hire people that won't start to open until specific dates like March 21, for example.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Supposedly my search's committee hasn't had time to meet since last week, but are doing so today, with an expected post-spring break timetable for next round of interviews.

So, I guess we'll see.

Doesn't feel very expedited in face of the budget crisis.

But of us two internal candidates for the two positions that we each have taught within for 2+ years, neither of us have heard back, so, likely, it is just them taking their sweet old time.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'm at the point where my job is interfering with my many, many, hobbies. It may be time to take my hobbies and make them profitable ventures. It'd be great to work for myself...scary though.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAdevil wrote:I'm at the point where my job is interfering with my many, many, hobbies. It may be time to take my hobbies and make them profitable ventures. It'd be great to work for myself...scary though.
Oh great, now you're gonna set up a premium section here.

;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Get Premium...
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
UAdevil wrote:I'm at the point where my job is interfering with my many, many, hobbies. It may be time to take my hobbies and make them profitable ventures. It'd be great to work for myself...scary though.
Oh great, now you're gonna set up a premium section here.

;)
lol. Never!

Though might raise funds for hosting later in the year with maybe a BDW T-shirt design contest and sale...We'll see. ;)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of