Dive Bars

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Dive Bars

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:14 pm

I knew we were in for a quite an evening night when in the bathroom, comprised of two toilets facing each other in a closet, some guy in a silver puffer jacket wondering in behind me, checked with me whether it was “ok, bro?” if this could be his corner to do coke. Sure enough, as I was leaving anyway, he was readying rolling paper.
Ok fer sure, dude. Carve me out a bump and I'll come back to take a shit once you're done.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Anyone ever frequent the Oldfather Inn Bar and Grill northwest on Ina Road toward the Interstate? I lived within walking distance of this place about a decade ago and I now regret not wondering on in and catching a game and a beer. Definitely has the independent minded Western look going on. Probably an older crowd?

(can't find any good photos)
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I had a friend who lived off Ina and Thornydale back in the early 1980's. Used to drive by it all the time, but never stopped in.

Just crazy how much that area has grown since then.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

There’s better dive bars in town IMHO.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:02 am Anyone ever frequent the Oldfather Inn Bar and Grill northwest on Ina Road toward the Interstate? I lived within walking distance of this place about a decade ago and I now regret not wondering on in and catching a game and a beer. Definitely has the independent minded Western look going on. Probably an older crowd?

(can't find any good photos)
I went once back in the early '90s I think it was on a Sunday during NFL and had a buffalo burger.

I now live just down the road, had thought of stopping in, but I think someone here said it's gotten very Trumpy.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Cross Golden Nugget off the list, new owner converted it to a night club and its now The Nugget. Previous bar was in business for 41 years

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Yup. Home Den has been gone forever, too.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

standing offer: i will buy anyone a cheeseburger and as many beers as you can drink if you ever come to Cassidy's - my all time favorite dive bar
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:17 pm Cross Golden Nugget off the list, new owner converted it to a night club and its now The Nugget. Previous bar was in business for 41 years
Wow that looks a lot different than when I went there back around 1990.
-JB
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:59 am I had a friend who lived off Ina and Thornydale back in the early 1980's. Used to drive by it all the time, but never stopped in.

Just crazy how much that area has grown since then.
Used to go there and Grumpy’s now and again for burgers and pedestrian beer when I lived on that side of town, but that’s now been over a decade ago. It was fine and friendly enough then (with some decent specials IIRC), but preferred the food at Grumpy’s. Now if I’m on that side of town, I go to Monsoon’s. Frankly, none of them are the Red Garter. Finally got there now that I’m moving to midtown (soonish) and I’m hooked. Please don’t tell me bad things about that place.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:47 pm
Wow that looks a lot different than when I went there back around 1990.
You owning the bars while I was seated on the living room carpet, either watching DuckTales/Talespin or wrestling the Nintendo controller from my younger brother.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My favorite dive bar in Tucson was Jeff's pub.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:40 am My favorite dive bar in Tucson was Jeff's pub.
My son went there one time not too long after he was legal. He said he saw someone break a beer bottle over someone's head. :o
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:54 am
azgreg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:40 am My favorite dive bar in Tucson was Jeff's pub.
My son went there one time not too long after he was legal. He said he saw someone break a beer bottle over someone's head. :o
I was the first there to have a Jack and Jolt.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Anybody ever make it to Tiny's on far west Ajo Way? Now that's a dive bar.

Long story but a group of us from the dorm ended up there one night in college ('84 I think). I pretty much peaked with the ladies that night (the ones from the dorm, not the locals LOL).

Good times.
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Growing up on the east side I've been there quite a few times. I wouldn't call it a dive bar though. It always had a homey feeling but it's not seedy really
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Siempre Verde wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:18 amFrankly, none of them are the Red Garter. Finally got there now that I’m moving to midtown (soonish) and I’m hooked. Please don’t tell me bad things about that place.
Garter is top notch. Excellent food too. One of the few places left that Ill gladly go home smelling like smoke from
84Cat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:14 pm
Growing up on the east side I've been there quite a few times. I wouldn't call it a dive bar though. It always had a homey feeling but it's not seedy really
Its been remodeled quite a bit in the last few years. I was there Christmas night and it was packed. Beer pong in Christmas sweaters was strange
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I lived on the eastside on Pantano when I first moved to Tucson in 1981.

My favorite east side club I remember going to was Chances, but was more of a disco than a dive bar.

Also used to go to a country western bar on Tanque Verde, forgot the name, but sounded feminine something like Mustang Sally's.

Wasn't Chuck Wagon and the Wheels the house band at some east side club??

Also spent a lot of time at The Outlaw (22nd/Wilmot) also a disco style of club with great free happy hour food.

The Sundance (aka Scumdance) was my favorite east side dive bar. Never failed to entertain, which caused the city to shut them down.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:04 pm Anybody ever make it to Tiny's on far west Ajo Way? Now that's a dive bar.

Long story but a group of us from the dorm ended up there one night in college ('84 I think). I pretty much peaked with the ladies that night (the ones from the dorm, not the locals LOL).

Good times.
I’ve been to Tiny’s a couple times during the pandemic. According to friends, it used to have the best wings in town, but things have apparently changed in the kitchen. The food was sub-par (and that’s being kind). Tried it again with a friend who used to frequent the place. He was disgusted by the decline in food. Still, the beer was cold.

On the west side, there isn’t a whole lot to choose from. Usually end up at Rusty’s if watching games is going involved.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Been to Tony’s a few times, it’s a classic dive.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

We used to just drive around looking for them. A Dive Bar Tour, so to speak.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:04 pm Anybody ever make it to Tiny's on far west Ajo Way? Now that's a dive bar.

Good times.
Is that the one that used to be 'The Mission' at the corner of Mission and Ajo?

Dad would occasionally come home late after stopping off with workmates on the way home. They used to say "We just stopped off at the Mission to get saved".

Not often, Dad wasn't a big drinker.

But one time he took out one of the posts holding up the carport as he drove in.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have to drive past Oldfather Inn whenever I go the "back way" to my house. I was intrigued. I live in the neighborhood on the hill right behind it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:47 pm
Is that the one that used to be 'The Mission' at the corner of Mission and Ajo?
Tiny's is farther west on Ajo.

I looked at Google Maps around Mission and Ajo - maybe you are thinking of The Original Hideout?

It was on Bar Rescue a few years ago.
-JB
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Not really a dive bar, but worth mentioning PUTNEYS sports bar on north Oracle.

This was my go-to bar for watching football during my community college years, 2007-08 (along with Fox & Hound at the Foothills Mall). Back then it was a sports bar with elements of a country bar - low lights, booths, hard floors, lots of smokers.

With my Dad relocating two blocks away, I wondered in a few months ago with my brother, and Putneys is still going strong. Their remodeling leaned into more of a sports bar, adding much more bar space and replacing the booths with high-top tables. More TVs too.

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Not a Tucson bar but for those in the Phoenix area, The Vine Tavern located in Tempe is set to close after 36 years. A new location is scheduled to open away from the ASU campus which means it won’t be a college bar anymore. Its lot at Rural/Apache was sold to make room for another student housing project.

During my transient time crashing through Tempe several years ago, The Vine was the most happening of the ASU bars on weeknights. One late night the owner posted up right beside me at the bar and together we sifted through a fishing bucket full of fake IDs he and his bouncers had confiscated over the years. 300 or 400 hundred dating back to the 90s. Beside the register he kept a “Hawaii Fund” jar where leftover change would go toward land he was paying off on the Big Island.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seems fitting for ASU.

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

As part of continuing our happy Thanksgiving tradition, planning on Danny’s Baboquavari tonight. DM me if you end up there as well.
CatsbyAZ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:58 pm

In town for Thanksgiving and last night was taken here by a few hometown buddies who make it their tradition to visit one of the only bars open on Thanksgiving.

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Jefe wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:32 pm
CatsbyAZ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:58 pmAnyone ever frequented Danny's Baboquivari over on Ft. Lowell?
In town for Thanksgiving and last night was taken here by a few hometown buddies who make it their tradition to visit one of the only bars open on Thanksgiving.
Yep I was there, left before it got nuts :lol: Did you see Kim the blonde bartender throw that guy out at the bar? I didn't see what he did but she made a huge scene.
After another year of turkey dinner and watching the Cowboys game, off we went to continue our tragic tradition of ending Thanksgiving night at Danny's Baboquivari. To catch up with several hours of familiar faces filing through the door, I buy our circle a large round. One of our drinks ends up in the hand of a friendly guy named Kenny whose tattoos are his most outward feature. Covering his arms, neck, and with a few on his face, he says most of his tatts he did himself while “doing time.” Kenny walks me through how for three years behind bars he and his cellmate mixed their own inks using soot from burning charcoal with oils. His prison sentence resulted from pleading guilty for selling cocaine and Percocets; a teammate on his college baseball team ratted him out. “When I heard the state wanted 15 to 20 years I said ‘aww hell naw!’ I called up my brother and told him to dig up the fifty grand in our backyard and get me a real lawyer. Who got the state to agree to three years.”

The second round I bought was for just me and another guy – the same buddy of mine who Kim tossed out last year. Of course we paid up right away and we were left alone to sip our drinks while Kim fought other battles, confronting two other customers until the bouncers took over.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just left Tucson today. The Bashful Bandit is closed. No idea what happened.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Closed in June 2021 after being bought by new owners.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:12 pm Not a Tucson bar but for those in the Phoenix area, The Vine Tavern located in Tempe is set to close after 36 years. A new location is scheduled to open away from the ASU campus which means it won’t be a college bar anymore. Its lot at Rural/Apache was sold to make room for another student housing project.

During my transient time crashing through Tempe several years ago, The Vine was the most happening of the ASU bars on weeknights. One late night the owner posted up right beside me at the bar and together we sifted through a fishing bucket full of fake IDs he and his bouncers had confiscated over the years. 300 or 400 hundred dating back to the 90s. Beside the register he kept a “Hawaii Fund” jar where leftover change would go toward land he was paying off on the Big Island.

Went there for my 21st birthday. Barely remember it. That was an amazing place. Sad to see it go.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Merkin wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:50 pm Just left Tucson today. The Bashful Bandit is closed. No idea what happened.
Supposed to become a BBQ restaurant. They’ve put so much work (and I’m sure $$) into that space that’s it’s going to have to be the best BBQ ever to recoup what’s been put into that building.

Speaking of holes in the wall, I heard a few months ago that The Bambi was for sale and that it has been purchased. I hope that’s true. It’s the only Tucson bar I’ve been to that skeeved me out.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

ASUCatFan wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:02 pm
CatsbyAZ wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:12 pm Not a Tucson bar but for those in the Phoenix area, The Vine Tavern located in Tempe is set to close after 36 years. A new location is scheduled to open away from the ASU campus which means it won’t be a college bar anymore. Its lot at Rural/Apache was sold to make room for another student housing project.

Went there for my 21st birthday. Barely remember it. That was an amazing place. Sad to see it go.
Did they still sell hot dogs?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Siempre Verde wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:31 am Supposed to become a BBQ restaurant. They’ve put so much work (and I’m sure $$) into that space that’s it’s going to have to be the best BBQ ever to recoup what’s been put into that building.
Haven't been there, but a BBQ place is at the old Wildcat House. The Wildcat House is where I met my future and still wife. Back when the college bars were away from the campus core.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:18 pm
Siempre Verde wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:31 am Supposed to become a BBQ restaurant. They’ve put so much work (and I’m sure $$) into that space that’s it’s going to have to be the best BBQ ever to recoup what’s been put into that building.
Haven't been there, but a BBQ place is at the old Wildcat House. The Wildcat House is where I met my future and still wife. Back when the college bars were away from the campus core.
Wildcat House used to have a burger special every week - burger, fries and a beer - for something ridiculously cheap. Was there every week.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Anybody remember those very catchy Wildcat House radio ads? Running in heavy rotation around 2008/09? They parodied the Happy Days theme and, along with those Jack Furrier commercials, always got my attention.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Need that shirt.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Score! I never had any luck there, or pretty much anyplace else.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:28 am

LOL same. Wildcat House is now Brother John's BBQ. Took my wife there a couple years ago - only way I could have any luck ha ha.

BBQ is decent, a little pricey. They still have the big Wilbur wood carving on the wall.
-JB
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:42 am
Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:28 am

LOL same. Wildcat House is now Brother John's BBQ. Took my wife there a couple years ago - only way I could have any luck ha ha.

BBQ is decent, a little pricey. They still have the big Wilbur wood carving on the wall.
Brother John's has $2 craft beers on Tuesdays. Granted, they are only 10 oz, but still good beer at a great price!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Drove down Stone a week or so ago, looking for the remnants of the Bum Steer. Looks like they tore it down and built apartments. Sure was an eyesore for years and years.

The Wildcat House was the only place you could get tri-tip sandwiches in Tucson. Reason being there was one other out here where I live with the same owners, The Grad in SLO. Also long closed.

You can see the resemblance.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:55 pm Drove down Stone a week or so ago, looking for the remnants of the Bum Steer. Looks like they tore it down and built apartments. Sure was an eyesore for years and years.
Especially after it burned down 7 years ago.

https://tucson.com/news/local/40-firefi ... 40818.html
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:19 pm Jim Anderson still drives the yellow Ford Festiva. I saw him a few months ago at the Wendy’s at St Mary’s and Silverbell.
I have heard the story about liquor license and his daughter also.

This one? And what story?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's still alive?
-JB
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Hey what was the name of the disco bar on miracle mile (right where the road curved). ? Hot chicks.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:54 pm Hey what was the name of the disco bar on miracle mile (right where the road curved). ? Hot chicks.
The Fine Line? That was the name of a gay bar in that area some of my straight friends used to go to and swore they had the best music.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

So did anyone ever eat at the High Five Grille? It was close to us before we moved, ate at the restaurant next door once.
If you did, you might have gotten sick. :shock:

Justin Spears and Ali Farhang from ESPN 1490 were used to scope out the place initially for Bar Rescue. Bar was changed to Cinco Cantina by Jon Taffer, but it's already out of business.

https://thisistucson.com/eat/bar-rescue ... 752eb.html
-JB
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:03 pm So did anyone ever eat at the High Five Grille? It was close to us before we moved, ate at the restaurant next door once.
If you did, you might have gotten sick. :shock:

Justin Spears and Ali Farhang from ESPN 1490 were used to scope out the place initially for Bar Rescue. Bar was changed to Cinco Cantina by Jon Taffer, but it's already out of business.

https://thisistucson.com/eat/bar-rescue ... 752eb.html
No. I remember when it was Famous Sam’s back in the day.

I lived at OG and Shannon from like 97-03.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 pm
TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:54 pm Hey what was the name of the disco bar on miracle mile (right where the road curved). ? Hot chicks.
The Fine Line? That was the name of a gay bar in that area some of my straight friends used to go to and swore they had the best music.
No not it. It was full of well dressed chicks and guys with platform heels. LoL.