Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Weight Loss

Post by rgdeuce »

Nice work KCF, keep it up!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:I just started a 30 day program today in fact. Going to try and get down from 205 to 185. So far all I really keep thinking about is eating a Gyro. That's probably a bad sign for only 8 hours in...
I'm on day 18 and I'm down 12 pounds. I look and feel so much better.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:I just started a 30 day program today in fact. Going to try and get down from 205 to 185. So far all I really keep thinking about is eating a Gyro. That's probably a bad sign for only 8 hours in...
How does the science work? Each pound of fat corresponds to about 3500 calories. 12 pounds is 42,000 calories. Over 18 days, that's a reduction of over 2300 calories per day, which would mean zero calories consumed. I'd consider 8 pounds in 30 days to be severe weight loss.
wooha

Post by wooha »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
How does the science work? Each pound of fat corresponds to about 3500 calories. 12 pounds is 42,000 calories. Over 18 days, that's a reduction of over 2300 calories per day, which would mean zero calories consumed. I'd consider 8 pounds in 30 days to be severe weight loss.
When you're in a caloric surplus the majority of the time, you retain a lot of body weight in glycogen stores and water. Once you drop into a caloric deficit over a period of time, the glycogen stores are generally depleted and you can see a large, quick drop in the number on the scale. It's likely not all fatty tissue, so that big initial drop in weight is a bit misleading.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well, I was drinking two beers a night, so there's 300 calories a day I'm not consuming right there.

I'm consuming around 1500 calories a day and burning 2500 to 3000. There were also four days in the past two weeks where I ate nothing and probably took in 750 calories in the form of a cleanse drink. But I'm on so many natural mood elevators, nutrients, and hunger suppressants that my body doesn't really realize it's starving.

What I'm doing is more a kickstart than a lifestyle. I figure a quick drop in weight followed by a much more healthy lifestyle should help me maintain. I don't care if I never eat another french fry again.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wellll you say that until it's right on front of you. You're an American haha. And if you exercise and ear healthy usually there's nothing wrong with the occasional hamburger and fries
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wahh definitely gotta lose some major poundage before the wedding next year
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm 3 pounds away from my 175 goal. I've cut out 90% of carbs out of my diet and have been swimming laps for 30 min every day. I was at 189 lbs 4 weeks ago
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Great work KCF!
Longhorned wrote:I didn't gain weight but I figure it's a good time to return to my old "more food diet." No calorie counting or limits on portion sizes. The only rule is that everything I eat has to be recognizable as food, and prepared from scratch. You end up getting full before you've had a chance to "over eat."

Doing that too. No processed foods, and especially no processed flour or sugars.

Just whole grains.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Well, I was drinking two beers a night, so there's 300 calories a day I'm not consuming right there.

I'm consuming around 1500 calories a day and burning 2500 to 3000. There were also four days in the past two weeks where I ate nothing and probably took in 750 calories in the form of a cleanse drink. But I'm on so many natural mood elevators, nutrients, and hunger suppressants that my body doesn't really realize it's starving.

What I'm doing is more a kickstart than a lifestyle. I figure a quick drop in weight followed by a much more healthy lifestyle should help me maintain. I don't care if I never eat another french fry again.
I'm pretty sure I'd die after two days on 1500. I tried that once and then got on a bus and was so stupid from caloric deficiency that I forgot to get off the bus, and when i finally did, I wandered into a barbecue joint and ate a meal for the ages.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:Well, I was drinking two beers a night, so there's 300 calories a day I'm not consuming right there.

I'm pretty sure I'd die after two days on 1500. I tried that once and then got on a bus and was so stupid from caloric deficiency that I forgot to get off the bus, and when i finally did, I wandered into a barbecue joint and ate a meal for the ages.
Well, I didn't die and I didn't take any brain malfunctioning bus trips . . . but I did lose 18lbs and 4 inches off my waist! I feel pretty awesome.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Congratulations!

I'm just going to come clean and admit that I had chocolate cake for breakfast, and a pretty substantial slice at that.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

If I ate 1500 calories in a day, nothing would happen even if I played 3 hours of doubles tennis.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Daryl Zero wrote:If I ate 1500 calories in a day, nothing would happen even if I played 3 hours of doubles tennis.
you wouldn't lose any weight? are you like 4 feet, 80 lbs?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Daryl Zero wrote:If I ate 1500 calories in a day, nothing would happen even if I played 3 hours of doubles tennis.
Do you just stand around while you partner runs around the entire court?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
Do you just stand around while your partner runs around the entire court?
That pretty much sums up my approach to life.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:Congratulations!

I'm just going to come clean and admit that I had chocolate cake for breakfast, and a pretty substantial slice at that.
I've done that before...

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Alieberman wrote:
Do you just stand around while you partner runs around the entire court?
I play hard. I don't think my metabolism would move unless I played every single day for 3 hours rather than the 3 - 4 times per week I do play. And then I would have to bike and/or walk everywhere.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

so your body only burns like 800 calories a day on its own?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Well, I just got home from the doctor and he said:

Time to learn how to read labels again.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I started on a healthy eating plan (very simple) with exercise about exactly 5 weeks ago. Really really committed to success for myself this time. I started at 6'2" 247 lbs last month (my heaviest ever) and after weighing myself daily for the first 2 weeks I decided to just put the scale away. I'm not counting calories explicitly other than just having a general guideline in my head for what is appropriate so I don't ever overdo it (not counting football Saturdays as my freebie). I'm not weighing myself again for another 2 weeks when I have to do a near mandatory bio-metric screening at work.

I feel SO much better. I eliminated about 80% of my booze intake, pretty much all sugar except for a very small treat like a baked pear/apple with a teaspoon of brown sugar etc, and have already seen great progress at the gym with my running. I could barely run at all 5 weeks ago now I'm slowly building the distance and the stretches of time where I can run without stopping.

Not sure what I currently weigh but I feel a difference. Probably down about 8-10 lbs as I could tighten my belt an extra hole this morning. I haven't felt this healthy in years. Hope to be down to 190 in 8 months for the wedding!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Congratulations, sd. I think that's how to do it. And you mention that you're on a new belt hole. I agree with those who say it's better to use a tape measurer around the waist than it is to weigh yourself. Just much more accurate. Scales lie because of they measure everything instead the part we're actually trying to get rid of.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Speaking of the belt hole method to see if you are losing weight.... In my weight loss adventure, all my my shorts are falling off of me but my pants are still tight. What the hell is going on?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Speaking of the belt hole method to see if you are losing weight.... In my weight loss adventure, all my my shorts are falling off of me but my pants are still tight. What the hell is going on?
Maybe you lost some ass but no waist.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Alieberman wrote:Speaking of the belt hole method to see if you are losing weight.... In my weight loss adventure, all my my shorts are falling off of me but my pants are still tight. What the hell is going on?
Do you know anybody named Benjamin Franklin “Hawkeye” Pierce or BJ Honeycutt?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I would love to be able to run a 10k by next spring. I'm still only going about 2.25 miles in 30 minutes right now so it is a long way to go.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:I would love to be able to run a 10k by next spring. I'm still only going about 2.25 miles in 30 minutes right now so it is a long way to go.
I'm with you. My plan is to enter a cyclocross race this winter and do one of the Warrior Dash races with my youngest son.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

last year at this time i weighed 252

this morning i weighed in at 207
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Great thread. Appreciate all of the hard work in here.

In about 12months went from

235+ and 38" waist and XL shirts
197 this morning and 34" waist L shirts

An expensive undertaking but so worth it.

Diet change and exercise. In the beginning I used a calorie app my fitness pal to educate me on what and how much i was eating... started exercising more.

A mentor told me not long ago... eat 1/2.

It really is about calories in/out.

Good luck to all!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Mostly because I don't want to be the fat brother I've been eating better and working out too along with SD 86. Started at 5'10" 200(although I've been as much as 205 recently). Goal is 165-170. Already down to about 189-190 and feel healthier.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Heard this on the radio on the way in. 16 ounces of water 30 minutes before meals.
PerpEph

Post by PerpEph »

97cats wrote:last year at this time i weighed 252

this morning i weighed in at 207
Atta boy. I won't be buying you a beer anytime soon.

Now, Tito's on the other hand...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In response to the pizza thread, I wanted to share this with you guys. It's changed my life. I've had a normal-looking body but have been technically around 12 pounds overweight, and with high cholesterol and triglycerides. I don't weigh myself or keep track of my weight, but I'll share the correlating numbers from the lipid panel.

Dieting and paying attention to what I eat has been an up-and-down struggle. My doctor suggested how I should change my diet, but the diet was sad and depressing: Avoid fats and carbohydrates, eat white chicken without the skin. And your cheeseburger and pizza days are now behind you. I'd lose the weight, but my metabolism would compensate, and I'd end up pretty much where I started. Does this sound familiar?

A year ago, my doctor wanted to prescribe a statin. I decided to do something else instead: Let go of all dieting, avoid all restrictions, and just eat whatever I want and as much as I want of it, as long as I regularly eat fruit, vegetables, fish, and Icelandic skyr in addition to whatever else I eat. I eat giant cheeseburgers and pizza and dessert whenever I want, and in massive, teenager quantities.

The results?

Total cholesterol: A year ago it was 255. Optimal is less than 200. I'm now at 182.

LDL cholesterol: A year ago it was 153. Optimal is less than 100. I'm now at 104.

Triglycerides: A year ago it was 171. Optimal is less than 150. I'm now at 122.

I've lost so much weight that I keep having to put off buying new clothes because I don't know when I'll stop losing weight. I wear suspenders underneath my shirt to hold up my pants, as though I were wearing a barrel.

My doctor's appointment in this Friday, when we'll go over these results. I can't wait to tell her what I think of her skinless chicken and statin idea.

This is the second time in my life when I've corrected my body this way. I'm seriously doubting diets and statins, at least in my case and based on my experience and results. Basically, eating what I want when I want results in far fewer calories consumed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I finally weighed myself so I'm not surprised at the doctor's office today:

5'11" and 181.8 pounds, which means I'm still overweight.

I call B.S. on that. I've brought my cholesterol and triglyceride numbers down more that 30%. The last thing I need now is to consider myself overweight, and buy into 136-178 as my "normal" weight. You're telling me that if I were 5'11" and 136 pounds, I should be regarded as normal? I'd look like a victim of some kind of catastrophe.

I'm not going a diet of any kind because that's exactly how I end up with a higher weight and worse numbers.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I finally weighed myself so I'm not surprised at the doctor's office today:

5'11" and 181.8 pounds, which means I'm still overweight.

I call B.S. on that. I've brought my cholesterol and triglyceride numbers down more that 30%. The last thing I need now is to consider myself overweight, and buy into 136-178 as my "normal" weight. You're telling me that if I were 5'11" and 136 pounds, I should be regarded as normal? I'd look like a victim of some kind of catastrophe.

I'm not going a diet of any kind because that's exactly how I end up with a higher weight and worse numbers.
I don't think there is any danger of you being considered normal.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Likewise....my cholesterol is 182. I'm 6'2" and the gubmint says I'd be healthy at 150 lbs. Um nope.

But good news! I'm down 22 lbs to 225 now. Next weigh in is Dec 4.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Kinda stalled out over the holidays weigh loss wise....have 4 months to get back on track and lose the last 25 lbs
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I put on 6-7 lbs over the holiday, so I decided to do a cleanse again in February. Then I weighed myself this morning and I had lost 8 lbs by doing nothing other than not eating cookies and fudge like I was two weeks ago.

Still in for the cleanse though. Going to see if I can get down to 180.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm not even weighing myself right now. I bet I gained about 5 lbs over teh last month. Drinking a crap ton of concentrated cranberry juice mixed with diuretic tea and lemon juice this week to lose some of the bloat from over drinking over the holidays. I'll weigh myself at the end of January and see how bad it is.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

KCF

Post by KCF »

So its been just under 2 years. I am 2% body fat away from having skin removal surgery. Doctor estimated that I have close to 70-85 lbs of loose skin. I weighed in at 290 and my starting weight was 512lbs.
Attachments
gj.jpg
gj.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Nice work man. Very impressive, keep it up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Great job buddy. Keep at it.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I've only lost three pounds (down to 222 from 225, which is well within the healthy range for my height), but I've been walking up Tumamoc Hill twice a week since mid-January and I can really notice a difference. My legs are looking a lot better, my belly is shrinking, my old A cups are just about gone, and I feel much better.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Tumamoc Hill is no joke. I trained almost exclusively on Tumamoc before doing Havasupai Falls. That twice a week will definitely get you in some good shape. Keep it up you guys. This article also has some good tips on losing weight:
AZCatGirl wrote:
http://www.campusrush.com/sean-miller-a ... 92834.html" target="_blank

Really good article about his weight loss.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Project 40 is my personal mission on my 35th birthday this year to be at and maintain a normal BMI, normal body fat percentage, and normal waist circumference by and on my 40th birthday. Essentially I figure metabolism a slows around our 40s and I want to lower my cardiac and stroke risk as much as possible prior to then. Being honest, I've let myself of go during professional training but now have to time and mental energy to do something about it.

For me the goal is more behavioral and lifestyle change. (More frequent exercise and better attention to diet) then weight loss, I figure if I take care of the fundementals the weight loss and body toning will come.

But, for 10years for medical training, I know jack squat about nutrition and fitness, I have to think things have changed since high school pe and UofA rec days. Does anyone know of any solid easy read books to get started? I'm talking like an exercising for dummies that covers basic fitness, weight lifting, and nutrition as a way to get started and build my knowledge base?

Currently I'm at 190 would like shed 25 over the next 18mo, and am restarting the 1500 calorie a day plan and 30min of cardio 3x per week. Would like to start some basic weight training on non-cardio days, but really don't know how to get started.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Also I'm signing up to run a 5k in June. Never been a runner but figure this would be a good kick in the rear to stick with it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

How tall are you?

I unfortunately haven't put in enough effort to lose as much weight as I wanted to before my wedding. I will have lost about 25 lbs total (now at 6'2" 223 lbs) but most of that was last fall and winter. I wanted to lose about 40-45 lbs. I'm going to keep working at it over the summer though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:How tall are you?

I unfortunately haven't put in enough effort to lose as much weight as I wanted to before my wedding. I will have lost about 25 lbs total (now at 6'2" 223 lbs) but most of that was last fall and winter. I wanted to lose about 40-45 lbs. I'm going to keep working at it over the summer though.

5'7", (thanks mom)

I'm around 30-31 BMI which is unacceptable for me. BMI has some problems but it is a good general proxy for cardiac risk and is easy to understand.

I'd be happy to be around 26, which per BMI is overweight, but when adjusted for aging is high side of normal as a male enters their forties. The cardiac risk is negligible at that point with regular exercise and high fiber low fat diet. (Better to be fit and overweight rather than a skinny couch potato, when you review the research from cardiologist Carl Lavie).