Work Status Update

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Work Status Update

Post by Longhorned »

I haven’t had a professional haircut since 2009. When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The furlough will reduce my gross family income $28,000 over the coming 12 months. Of course, that doesn't eliminate subsequent additional furloughs. So I'll probably notice.

The furlough structuring definitely protects high income of the administrators who are deciding it and looking out for themselves.
Last edited by Longhorned on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We're lucky with the both of us still working.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That sucks LH. I hope it doesn't last as long as they are projecting.

So for the 1st time in my life I'm out of work. I've never filed for unemployment and to be honest... I kind of don't want to. I think it's a pride thing? I'm not sure... I just don't feel right about it. Am I insane?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

You absolutely should. I can't imagine what that's like right now but take advantage of any benefit you can.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Yep, apply for unemployment. I did it one time when the company I worked for relocated to Bellingham, WA. I'm sure your family will welcome the money no matter where it comes from. You paid for it anyway with your payroll taxes
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have never collected unemployment in my life either, and now can't ever since I will be retired end of the month, but without a doubt I would get it in your circumstance. It's not like you can find a job doing what you do now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:That sucks LH. I hope it doesn't last as long as they are projecting.

So for the 1st time in my life I'm out of work. I've never filed for unemployment and to be honest... I kind of don't want to. I think it's a pride thing? I'm not sure... I just don't feel right about it. Am I insane?
Sorry, A. I understand what you're saying and I'd feel the same way. But if you don't do it for yourself, do it for everyone facing unemployment who needs the reported numbers to reflect the severity of the situation. And also, do it in service to President Trump, who will appreciate voters having accurate unemployment statistics as he makes his case for reelection.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:That sucks LH. I hope it doesn't last as long as they are projecting.

Sorry, A. I understand what you're saying and I'd feel the same way. But if you don't do it for yourself, do it for everyone facing unemployment who needs the reported numbers to reflect the severity of the situation. And also, do it in service to President Trump, who will appreciate voters having accurate unemployment statistics as he makes his case for reelection.
I'll only do it if Trump signs the checks.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Definitely get the unemployment. It's your right and it is there for situations exactly like this. You've earned it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

And we just found out my wife has to furlough 39 days over the next year at the UofA

Guess I will be filing for unemployment
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:And we just found out my wife has to furlough 39 days over the next year at the UofA

That was the email I was talking about earlier today. The $28,000 hit over the coming year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Here are the graded pay cuts, taken verbatim from Robbins's email:

For those within the salary bands up to $44,449 a year, a furlough of 13 days to be taken over time
For those within the salary bands of $44,500 to $75,000 a year, a furlough of 26 days to be taken over time
For those within the salary bands of $75,001 to $150,000 a year, a furlough of 39 days to be taken over time
For those within the salary bands of $150,001 to $199,999 a year, a straight salary reduction of 17%
For those within the salary bands of $200,000 or more a year, a salary reduction of 20%
According to a website the university has set up to explain the changes, UArizona employees will take their furlough over each pay period, depending on salary.

Robbins said employees would retain all benefits, including health care. The pay cuts and furloughs will begin on May 11, 2020, and last until June 30, 2021.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Feeling awful knowing how hard many of you work and yet will face financial losses.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Feeling awful knowing how hard many of you work and yet will face financial losses.
Thanks, Catsby. It's hard to escape. We're losing significant income at the same time as our investment portfolios and savings collapse. Some of us are losing our jobs. Some our careers.

The one thing that can stop the bleeding is testing for infection and immunity, and then organizing isolation and opening the economy around that. But the states have to figure out how to do that without help from the president, who conversely is encouraging raging, disease-spreading, untested protesters against the states. Hopefully we can all figure out how to be nation-states.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:Feeling awful knowing how hard many of you work and yet will face financial losses.
Thanks, Catsby. It's hard to escape. We're losing significant income at the same time as our investment portfolios and savings collapse. Some of us are losing our jobs. Some our careers.

The one thing that can stop the bleeding is testing for infection and immunity, and then organizing isolation and opening the economy around that. But the states have to figure out how to do that without help from the president, who conversely is encouraging raging, disease-spreading, untested protesters against the states. Hopefully we can all figure out how to be nation-states.
At least for the next 9 months or so hopefully. It'll be better if Biden wins and Dems win the Senate, but at least until January of next year the states are on their own.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Aid to (THE) University of Arizona

https://www.chronicle.com/article/How-M ... Id=5172070" target="_blank

University Of Arizona (The) $30,953,447 $15,476,724
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’ve become increasingly concerned that I might be stranded here (UAE) for the summer or even longer, so I decided to take one of the few remaining flights out of the UAE. All flights will cease after 30 April. So with 2 weeks left in the semester, I’m going to fly home next week. What could go wrong? Well, for starters the trip that normally takes 17 hours will take more than 48 hours of travel time, including sleeping overnight inside Heathrow. Good times. And I suppose there is always the risk of getting stranded in London.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’ve become increasingly concerned that I might be stranded here (UAE) for the summer or even longer, so I decided to take one of the few remaining flights out of the UAE. All flights will cease after 30 April. So with 2 weeks left in the semester, I’m going to fly home next week. What could go wrong? Well, for starters the trip that normally takes 17 hours will take more than 48 hours of travel time, including sleeping overnight inside Heathrow. Good times. And I suppose there is always the risk of getting stranded in London.
Shit. Got my fingers crossed you make it all the way back to the states. I’m having visions of that Tom Hanks movie where his country ceases to exist while he’s waiting for his flight....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’ve become increasingly concerned that I might be stranded here (UAE) for the summer or even longer, so I decided to take one of the few remaining flights out of the UAE. All flights will cease after 30 April. So with 2 weeks left in the semester, I’m going to fly home next week. What could go wrong? Well, for starters the trip that normally takes 17 hours will take more than 48 hours of travel time, including sleeping overnight inside Heathrow. Good times. And I suppose there is always the risk of getting stranded in London.
Why are they waiting until May 1st to stop flights? Seems like it's two months too late.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote:
Shit. Got my fingers crossed you make it all the way back to the states. I’m having visions of that Tom Hanks movie where his country ceases to exist while he’s waiting for his flight....
Haha, shit. The thought had crossed my mind I could be stuck in Heathrow indefinitely. I don’t think they will let me leave into the city. And there’s always the risk of catching the virus while passing through 4 planes and 4 airports over 2 days.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Why are they waiting until May 1st to stop flights? Seems like it's two months too late.
They stopped flights about 6 weeks ago. They were only flying cargo for 3 or 4 weeks. Then they restarted a very limited slate of flights to repatriate people in the UAE and on the reverse side to bring back Emiratis to the UAE. But as I mentioned elsewhere, they are actually testing travelers before letting them on the plane. The problem will be when I get on the United flight to Newark. That’s when I’m headed back to the greatest country in the world, aka The Wild West where anything goes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Haha, shit. The thought had crossed my mind I could be stuck in Heathrow indefinitely. I don’t think they will let me leave into the city. And there’s always the risk of catching the virus while passing through 4 planes and 4 airports over 2 days.
But the good news is that you’ll meet and eventually fall in love with Catherine Zeta Jones!

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Hmmm, we talking Zorro-vintage CZJ or a more recent vintage? Aw, fuck who am I kidding—I don’t deserve either.

What was that movie where she had to wiggle her ass around multiple laser alarms? Whatever it was, it was so awful that’s the only thing I remember about it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That actually sounds like a decent plan, BJBJ. I'm sorry your home destination isn't Germany, but you got it figured out.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: What was that movie where she had to wiggle her ass around multiple laser alarms? Whatever it was, it was so awful that’s the only thing I remember about it.
Let's not pin all this on her. Tom Hanks at least is honest. His description on Twitter: "I'm that actor in all those movies you saw. Some you liked, and some you didn't."
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Haha, shit. The thought had crossed my mind I could be stuck in Heathrow indefinitely. I don’t think they will let me leave into the city. And there’s always the risk of catching the virus while passing through 4 planes and 4 airports over 2 days.
The odds favor you not getting the virus until you land back in the US.

It's like a welcome home gift from your country.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Hmmm, we talking Zorro-vintage CZJ or a more recent vintage? Aw, fuck who am I kidding—I don’t deserve either.

What was that movie where she had to wiggle her ass around multiple laser alarms? Whatever it was, it was so awful that’s the only thing I remember about it.
Entrapment! Featuring a 103 year old Sean Connery (and the love scenes probably convinced 97 year old Michael Douglas that he had a shot).
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Received some really positive news from my boss and VP this week. They told me that I am locked in for a huge promotion if we all survive this shit show. So in the next 6 months I'll either get this huge promotion...or will be unemployed!
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:Received some really positive news from my boss and VP this week. They told me that I am locked in for a huge promotion if we all survive this shit show. So I'm the next 6 months I'll either get this huge promotion...or will be unemployed!
Fantastic news Scum!

My youngest son too was due for a big raise and promotion, but instead the parent company cut everyone's pay 15%. But at least he is still working.

I imagine banking is always a safe bet. My niece's husband was in HR for a southern grocery store chain. I told him never leave the grocery business since no matter what happens, people have to eat. If there is a recession, people will eat out less, and hit the grocery store up more.

But just like my kids, he didn't listen to me and went to work for the YMCA in HR. Now of course, all the Ys are shut down, so they are really hurting and may get laid off.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Congratulations, sd!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm cautiously optimistic because my team manages my credit union's online banking and mobile app. This is more valuable than ever with people stuck at home. We'll see. Good to hear your son is still working at least.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If you need me to remind them of how you devotedly slaved away for years and this was actually long overdue just put me on speakerphone during the negotiations and I’ll do my best Jules Winnfield impersonation...

*gunshot*

“Oh I’m sorry. Did I break your concentration?”
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That is great Scum. I have not heard from anyone in my circle who has positive work news in the last few months.

Congrats
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell yeah! Congrats Scum that is awesome!

Now get them to pay for your MBA. ;)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Very good SD.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Thanks a lot everyone. I feel kinda like a dick barging in here with (potentially) good news but it was great to hear from my leadership that I'm the only real option they're considering.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

scumdevils86 wrote:Thanks a lot everyone. I feel kinda like a dick barging in here with (potentially) good news but it was great to hear from my leadership that I'm the only real option they're considering.
This belongs in the Good News thread, jerkoff. Haha, but fuck it, cats and dogs are living together these days! Crack one open for me to toast you—Ramadan just started here so no drinking for me until I get back to the land of the free and the home of the virus.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

scumdevils86 wrote:Received some really positive news from my boss and VP this week. They told me that I am locked in for a huge promotion if we all survive this shit show. So in the next 6 months I'll either get this huge promotion...or will be unemployed!
Congrats dude.

For what it's worth, my take is that this is a very different crisis than 2008, especially given the feds' aggressive moves to provide liquidity in almost every market, and financial institutions will make it out ok so should work out pretty well for you.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

scumdevils86 wrote:Thanks a lot everyone. I feel kinda like a dick barging in here with (potentially) good news but it was great to hear from my leadership that I'm the only real option they're considering.
I truly wish you luck!

But, I fear that in six months we’re still gonna be smack dab in the middle of “this shit show”....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Congrats scum.

pc in NM wrote:But, I fear that in six months we’re still gonna be smack dab in the middle of “this shit show”....
Shit show version 2.0 is nearly as unknowable as the original rollout.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Alieberman wrote:And we just found out my wife has to furlough 39 days over the next year at the UofA

Some good news for the recsently unemployed-

So I did end up filing for unemployment and to my surprise I was eligible I wasn't sure I would be since I'm self employed but luckily 1 of my employers insisted they hire me as an "as needed" employee so I do actually get a W2 from them. This allowed me to get easily accepted. Even better news was that I found out I was eligible for the Cares Act. The Cares Act alone gives me $600 / week (minus taxes) and will be payed weekly through July. I was really not expecting that. So that money plus my state unemployment will be very nice for the next few months.

And as far as actually getting this money- this is the most shocking part.

I applied just last week. And in just 1 week I was accepted and then actually sent a visa debit card from the Arizona Dept of Economic Security. My money for my first payment was already on the card. Don't have to worry about checks in the mail... it's set up automatically. And as long as I file each week (electronically) the money will show up on this card each week. You can then either just use this card as a normal debit card or transfer it to your own bank account. It couldn't be any easier. It is shockingly almost too good to be true.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Awesome Ari
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:

Some good news for the recsently unemployed-

So I did end up filing for unemployment and to my surprise I was eligible I wasn't sure I would be since I'm self employed but luckily 1 of my employers insisted they hire me as an "as needed" employee so I do actually get a W2 from them. This allowed me to get easily accepted. Even better news was that I found out I was eligible for the Cares Act. The Cares Act alone gives me $600 / week (minus taxes) and will be payed weekly through July. I was really not expecting that. So that money plus my state unemployment will be very nice for the next few months.

And as far as actually getting this money- this is the most shocking part.

I applied just last week. And in just 1 week I was accepted and then actually sent a visa debit card from the Arizona Dept of Economic Security. My money for my first payment was already on the card. Don't have to worry about checks in the mail... it's set up automatically. And as long as I file each week (electronically) the money will show up on this card each week. You can then either just use this card as a normal debit card or transfer it to your own bank account. It couldn't be any easier. It is shockingly almost too good to be true.
That’s amazing. Shouldn’t be. But it is. Congrats!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Fantastic, A. Well done.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So awesome to here A, glad it worked out.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Thats good to hear. I've heard about people in Florida and other places that have been trying to just initially submit an application for 3+ weeks already and haven't been able to do that since the website doesn't work.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Some dude interviewing via laptop with Amazon Fulfillment Center in Heathrow Airport at the top of his lungs. Americans are the fucking worst. Have some self-awareness, man.