Work Status Update

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Work Status Update

Post by scumdevils86 »

Had to evacuate a building today due to a gas leak and somehow I ended up in charge of the 15 staff members for 2 hours when I wasn't supposed to be. Oh well.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

death by ppt.

getting ready for my conference in Baltimore this weekend, by watching cnn YAY!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I told my Director that I needed a raise plus additional research funds, plus a transfer to a different department, thank you very much.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Working all kinds of overtime last week and this week. Blah.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I just told a client "I'll give it to you quick and dirty".

Think I'll be fired before the weekend?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:I just told a client "I'll give it to you quick and dirty".

depends...what'd he look like?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Last week was an 86 hour work week. Leading a tour group all over the four corners on a tour...I'm still not fully recovered.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Trying to deal with a crying grad student who needs to pass 2 units of independent studies in order to graduate with her Masters of Architecture degree. She already walked in graduation in front of all her family and friends last Saturday, and she already has her job lined up in an architecture firm. And yet she can't complete her independent studies with me because, like most architects, she doesn't know the first thing about how to put together a building. Now she's crying because I don't know how I can let her graduate. I guess I'm supposed to be merciful and hope the engineers will save the lives of anyone who ever enters any buildings she tries to design.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

She's got 3 years to learn on the job before she gets her stamp. Let them worry about it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote:She's got 3 years to learn on the job before she gets her stamp. Let them worry about it.
So "B"?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Longhorned wrote:Trying to deal with a crying grad student who needs to pass 2 units of independent studies in order to graduate with her Masters of Architecture degree. She already walked in graduation in front of all her family and friends last Saturday, and she already has her job lined up in an architecture firm. And yet she can't complete her independent studies with me because, like most architects, she doesn't know the first thing about how to put together a building. Now she's crying because I don't know how I can let her graduate. I guess I'm supposed to be merciful and hope the engineers will save the lives of anyone who ever enters any buildings she tries to design.

I worked construction from 13-21 every summer and I think that's pretty much par for the course for architects...
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Writing a staff report for a new Kaiser Permanente medical office building.

Yesterday I did have a meeting with Ballast Point Brewery who are looking to open a restaurant/tasting room in the area. That was followed by a meeting with a church.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Coop Cat wrote:Writing a staff report for a new Kaiser Permanente medical office building.

Yesterday I did have a meeting with Ballast Point Brewery who are looking to open a restaurant/tasting room in the area. That was followed by a meeting with a church.
Give the church a heaven staff report.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:I just told a client "I'll give it to you quick and dirty".

Well, I'm still employed. She's even going to do the fairly big package I put in front of her.

My God, I just can't stop....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:She's even going to do the fairly big package I put in front of her.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

In Mobile Alabama, about to enter the Shipyard to survey the progress of a series of maintenance projects aboard a drydocked ship.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

getting meeting'ed to death today.

starting at 7am...4 meetings in four hours, a total of 6 today. Brief reprieve before #4. To finalize things prior to the start of the new year in July.

While there will be sometimes I'll miss about academia, the time-sink of meetings to go over and over and over and over things already discussed at prior meetings will not be one of them.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CatsbyAZ wrote:In Mobile Alabama, about to enter the Shipyard to survey the progress of a series of maintenance projects aboard a drydocked ship.

That sounds really effing cool.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Reading about the daughters of the Syrian High Priest of Elah-Gebal. I think they were hot.

The BS of the semester is far behind me now.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

back was destroyed by the hotel bed i slept on last night. barely functioning sitting like a board in a chair at work trying not to think about the pain.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Chicat wrote:I'm running our sales meeting tomorrow. I'm sure it's some stupid thing that our EVP read in some stupid management book about making sales reps run the meeting, but whatever. I had the highest sales last month and this is my punishment.

So right now I'm putting the last touches on my presentation - "Conversations That Win The Complex Sale as illustrated by the movie Tommy Boy".

No, I am not kidding...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You go, man! A word picture of how the meeting went would be great. How about the AV people making a vid?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EOCT wrote:
Chicat wrote:I'm running our sales meeting tomorrow. I'm sure it's some stupid thing that our EVP read in some stupid management book about making sales reps run the meeting, but whatever. I had the highest sales last month and this is my punishment.

So right now I'm putting the last touches on my presentation - "Conversations That Win The Complex Sale as illustrated by the movie Tommy Boy".

No, I am not kidding...

You go, man! A word picture of how the meeting went would be great. How about the AV people making a vid?
I recommend the team from the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:back was destroyed by the hotel bed i slept on last night. barely functioning sitting like a board in a chair at work trying not to think about the pain.
When that happens to me, I rest the laptop on a higher surface, and stand and type. I really should do that all the time, in fact.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Getting my cube adjusted for that on Thursday.
Sitting all day is killing us all slowly.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

working in cubes under fluorescent lights for 25 years is already a death sentence.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Doing manual labor outside in the heat is worse than any cushy office cube job. Ask the immigrants dying in Qatar if they'd rather have a cube job for 25 years.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Apparently there's significant metabolic benefits to standing instead of sitting. So many more calories burned while actually being more comfortable.

Did we just turn this thread into a sitters v. standers thread? Inescapable!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Longhorned wrote:Apparently there's significant metabolic benefits to standing instead of sitting. So many more calories burned while actually being more comfortable.

Did we just turn this thread into a sitters v. standers thread? Inescapable!
Inconceivable!
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:back was destroyed by the hotel bed i slept on last night. barely functioning sitting like a board in a chair at work trying not to think about the pain.
I here that was Gronks excuse for back problems too. ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Doing manual labor outside in the heat is worse than any cushy office cube job. Ask the immigrants dying in Qatar if they'd rather have a cube job for 25 years.
From the moment we are all born, we're dying. It's all about the manner and timing.

Personally I plan on going out being murdered by my wife after a sex tape leaks of me in an orgy with 12 Playboy bunnies.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Doing manual labor outside in the heat is worse than any cushy office cube job. Ask the immigrants dying in Qatar if they'd rather have a cube job for 25 years.
From the moment we are all born, we're dying. It's all about the manner and timing.

Personally I plan on going out being murdered by my wife after a sex tape leaks of me in an orgy with 12 Playboy bunnies.
12 of these?

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My current home office:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

12 of these?

Playboy's standards have really fallen but whatever.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CalStateTempe wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:In Mobile Alabama, about to enter the Shipyard to survey the progress of a series of maintenance projects aboard a drydocked ship.

That sounds really effing cool.
Yea, most of my work life is spent staring at screen in an ominous office tower, but once in a while they send us off to the ports, either to collect info for a project or to verify that the progress or completion of the project is going according to our office efforts of months ago. I like the travel when it comes.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EOCT wrote:

No, I am not kidding...

Here was one of my slides:

Currently I'm filling out a quiz on how I can reduce my carbon footprint at work because our CEO told me to. We're "going green"...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

4/3 slides Justin?

It's time you step up your game and join us in the future!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:4/3 slides Justin?

It's time you step up your game and join us in the future!
Most of my presentations are now done on Prezi, but for this I just didn't give a fuck.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

4/3 slides? I think I'm supposed to know what that means. All I know is that I dislike Prezi.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm watching Tommy boy on Netflix now.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

My students either got Prezi, which could be sporadically cool, or they didn't, which invariably gave the rest of the class confusion migraines.

Stick with PP. You'll be happier.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:Currently I'm filling out a quiz on how I can reduce my carbon footprint at work because our CEO told me to. We're "going green"...
So we had online quizzes all week and out of 500+ employees I had the highest combined score.

My prize is a $50 American Express gift card and the knowledge that all of my coworkers think I'm a brown-nosing suck-up who has nothing better to do with his workday than take quizzes on important items like how many televisions Americans throw out each year.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

332 emails in the inbox this morning. weeeee
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:332 emails in the inbox this morning. weeeee
How many to enlarge your wang?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I recently switched jobs/careers. I had an hour commute at my prior job. Now I work completely from my dining room table. I am more productive and I have yet to wake up wondering if I can just call in sick. Have a conference call? Well I'm just going to walk around the neighborhood during the meeting. I understand how some people might not be able to be successful while working from home (to many distractions), but I am ecstatic about my current situation. I'm going to miss this once I go back to a office in 2-3 years.

I am having serious reservations of working any further than biking distance from the office in the future (depending on the bicycling facilities). I have recently realized that I dislike driving to work (All those idiot drivers!), I would rather take public transportation if it was more reliable option.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

OSUCat wrote:I recently switched jobs/careers. I had an hour commute at my prior job. Now I work completely from my dining room table. I am more productive and I have yet to wake up wondering if I can just call in sick. Have a conference call? Well I'm just going to walk around the neighborhood during the meeting. I understand how some people might not be able to be successful while working from home (to many distractions), but I am ecstatic about my current situation. I'm going to miss this once I go back to a office in 2-3 years.

I am having serious reservations of working any further than biking distance from the office in the future (depending on the bicycling facilities). I have recently realized that I dislike driving to work (All those idiot drivers!), I would rather take public transportation if it was more reliable option.
Congrats man, hope it goes well. I've been doing the home office thing for a while now and it has pros and cons. I ended up renting co-working space part time just to get out of the house a bit. The blurred line between home and work does wear on you after a while. Tho I guess it probably depends on what is going on at home.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

helping clean up some giant clusterfck with a new vendor....not good...
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I've got 2 gigs currently, about half time each: a decent paying hourly contract, and a high upside kind of job where I'm taking mostly equity and incentives. In theory they are kind of ying and yang and I should be able to make it work, but I'm finding that I've spread myself too thin. For example, I answer to 6 different work email addresses currently. You should see my mail client, it's a joke. And if Bob calls I need to figure out who in the hell Bob is and what I owe him in the first few seconds before I embarrass myself. Compounding it is the fact that things at the equity position are very unorganized.

It has been exciting and mostly what I want to do, but just tiring as hell. I'm considering looking for a more normal job this summer. And of course ironically I left a more normal job to put myself in this situation. Struggling with the eternal grass is always greener perspective, vs the quest to find true satisfaction in employment. Not sure what to do. I'm def not a 'corporate guy', but there are benefits..right? Right?!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

threenumberones wrote:I've got 2 gigs currently, about half time each: a decent paying hourly contract, and a high upside kind of job where I'm taking mostly equity and incentives. In theory they are kind of ying and yang and I should be able to make it work, but I'm finding that I've spread myself too thin. For example, I answer to 6 different work email addresses currently. You should see my mail client, it's a joke. And if Bob calls I need to figure out who in the hell Bob is and what I owe him in the first few seconds before I embarrass myself. Compounding it is the fact that things at the equity position are very unorganized.

It has been exciting and mostly what I want to do, but just tiring as hell. I'm considering looking for a more normal job this summer. And of course ironically I left a more normal job to put myself in this situation. Struggling with the eternal grass is always greener perspective, vs the quest to find true satisfaction in employment. Not sure what to do. I'm def not a 'corporate guy', but there are benefits..right? Right?!
Yep, stock options for 1. If you pick a good company, you can be set for life. Also the benefits are fantastic. We get health, life, dental & vision insurance for a reasonable cost. 6 weeks of vacation(been with the company 18 years), holidays, fitness incentive of $650/year, 401k with matching, employes sock option plan, yearly bonus, tuition reimbursement, etc, etc, etc. The political bs can be taxing but the benefits a pretty damn good. Work at home most of the time too.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I don't get to work at home (I wish) but the benefits are definitely great working for an established financial institution. I pay about $110/month for my HSA health plan (which the company gives me $750 a year for), vision, dental, accident insurance, short term disability, long term disability, group term life, supplemental life insurance and cancer insurance. Not to mention we match our 401k 100% up to 6% of my gross pay. and 50% after that. And we get up to $6500k/year in tuition reimbursement and a pretty sizable annual bonus.

all those benefits are included for everyone from the landscapers all the way up to the CEO.