Work Status Update

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Work Status Update

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:Drinking heavily prior to going to a Latino Fashion Week event.
Sounds like a blast. Don't forget the selfies.
I'm guessing it will suck, but it's an opportunity to network . . . and get drunk.
Who needs an opportunity to do that?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:Drinking heavily prior to going to a Latino Fashion Week event.
Sounds like a blast. Don't forget the selfies.
I'm guessing it will suck, but it's an opportunity to network . . . and get drunk.
Who needs an opportunity to do that?
Someplace where my kids can't see daddy fall down and curse gravity? This guy...

This thing is already a bust. Left the bar I was perfectly happy at to go to the cocktail reception . . . which isn't quite ready yet. Someone better appear with a drink ASAP or I'm done.

Lotta titties here though....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Crisis averted. I have a drink. And more titties showed up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Crisis averted. I have a drink. And more titties showed up.
'Blessed be the Lord!"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:Crisis averted. I have a drink. And more titties showed up.
'Blessed be the Lord!"
You're not kidding. Now here comes the hard part: Not drooling (literally and figuratively) in front of this Verizon marketing guy I've been trying to meet for a year. Chances of success are nearly zero at this point but I'm going to power through and act like a somewhat responsible adult.

Oh hey look . . . TITTIES!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We need a "marriage update" thread. Just based on what I've seen tonight, mine's in trouble.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:About to take some agency clients to Longhorn Steakhouse for lunch. Gotta love the burbs!
In Columbus Georgia for my youngest brother's Army Infantry school graduation. Columbus is one of the worst towns I've ever seen. Anyway, we took him to Longhorn Steakhouse outside the gate of Ft Benning. Gross indeed. If you're a light diner, what'd'you supposed to do at a place like this?!?! Didn't eat the rest of the day. :oops:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Do you wish you were in Tennessee??

Willie is playing with Ernest Tubb's band, gotta be sometime in the 60's. One of my favorite songs....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Business Drunk
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:Business Drunk
But still Hooter Happy?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Office politics stink and even worse in the "multi-matrix'd, integrated health system".

Still better than academia IMO.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Business Drunk
But still Hooter Happy?
No boobs tonight. We went to a neighborhood beer bar.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Read a really fucking cool article about a 36 yo accountant for oak park beer league goalie being called up by the Blackhawks last night and just killed it, won player of the game.

Had the crowd chanting his name at the end. It’s like every dudes dream!

“You just keep grinding away in a beer league and eventually you’ll get your shot”. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Read a really fucking cool article about a 36 yo accountant for oak park beer league goalie being called up by the Blackhawks last night and just killed it, won player of the game.

Had the crowd chanting his name at the end. It’s like every dudes dream!

“You just keep grinding away in a beer league and eventually you’ll get your shot”. :lol:
He plays at Johnny’s Ice House in the West Loop.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

that's fantastic
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I just left a job where I worked 20 years and now working at a major hospital in the Phoenix area. My medical is $0 premium, $250 deductable, $4000 out-of-pocket. It's UMR insurance. The Delta Dental 2500 is really cool too if you need major dental work. VSP vision, which is good but nothing special. The major drawback is they use a Flexible Spending Account instead of HSA, and they don't add anything into it. Use it or lose it in a given year for an FSA account. They will also pay for my schooling as I now studying to become a licensed hospital-based (inpatient) medical coder where I can work from home and live anywhere in the country. Good money too with a little experience. I am seriously considering continuing my education to become a Registered Health Information Administrator. I already have a BS degree so this should only take 2-3 years more. Basically I will become a medical record and billing guru. 3 years ago I would not have even known about this. BTW the pay is really good, close to 6 figures, once you get a good reputation. I will start my clinical experience (unpaid internship) this fall.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Awesome to hear! Congrats.

I myself am interviewing for a major promotion to a completely different area at my company this next week. Would be a massive shift for me and would greatly curtail my free time on the boards that's for sure. But it'd come with about a 20-30% raise, an approximate 10% annual bonus, and experience in a field that would be easy to translate to other industries over the next 10 plus years. I'd work a lot more and have a very different day to day but I'm super motivated and excited for a change. I'm friends with the hiring manager and have a good in with her. I've been at the same company almost 11 years and it has gotten a bit stagnant in my current role. My days are easy but I need a challenge.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Passed the phone interview. I'm currently at work and prepping for my final interview on Friday the 13th (eep). I have to give a 10+ min presentation to the hiring manager and VP about this new role and the future projects and strategies I would impact in this department. I did some sleuthing of the corporate board room schedules and I think I am only up against one other person for the role. Going to be a stressful week!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In DC for a big pitch tomorrow. So where am I?

Reviewing our presentation and locking down my portion?

No......

In a dive bar drinking whiskey, watching the Caps playoff game, and making friends (of course).
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:In DC for a big pitch tomorrow. So where am I?

No......

In a dive bar drinking whiskey, watching the Caps playoff game, and making friends (of course).
That a boy! How'd it go?
scumdevils86 wrote:Passed the phone interview. I'm currently at work and prepping for my final interview on Friday the 13th (eep). I have to give a 10+ min presentation to the hiring manager and VP about this new role and the future projects and strategies I would impact in this department. I did some sleuthing of the corporate board room schedules and I think I am only up against one other person for the role. Going to be a stressful week!
How about you 86, it go alright?

Good luck fellas.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Interview is in less than 2 hours. Getting nervous.
cpt

Post by cpt »

scumdevils86 wrote:Interview is in less than 2 hours. Getting nervous.
Tell them "hire me or I'll go Walter Sobchak on you."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:

No......

That a boy! How'd it go?
Pretty fucking good. Now we wait.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:

No......

That a boy! How'd it go?
Pretty fucking good. Now we wait.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Yesterday finished project managing a construction project that starter December 11 and required my attendance EVERY DAY except for Dec 31 & Jan 1. With work really ramping up at the end, I'm pretty beat. Very happy to still be in my pajamas, mostly doing nothing. Scrolling through twitter, listening to radio. Might get a haircut later.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It’s really hard to sit in MBA level courses on health care disruption/reorganization after having had formal bioscience/epidemiology research training and a public health degree.

It’s also really hard when you are one of the few in the class in a leadership position at your own organization and still predominately clinically active. So many are in leadership but no longer see patients, and think they are doing the right thing for their patients/physicians/clinicians/health systems/society, but once you engage and query, it’s all about them finding an angle for their “for profit clinic” or supplier or consultant org, or payer to seek the opportunity gap to try to get their piece of the pie.

It’s gonna be really good to get back to doctoring on Monday.

This airport beer should help decompress and enjoy the flight home.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Yesterday finished project managing a construction project that starter December 11 and required my attendance EVERY DAY except for Dec 31 & Jan 1. With work really ramping up at the end, I'm pretty beat. Very happy to still be in my pajamas, mostly doing nothing. Scrolling through twitter, listening to radio. Might get a haircut later.
Must feel great.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:It’s really hard to sit in MBA level courses on health care disruption/reorganization after having had formal bioscience/epidemiology research training and a public health degree.

It’s also really hard when you are one of the few in the class in a leadership position at your own organization and still predominately clinically active. So many are in leadership but no longer see patients, and think they are doing the right thing for their patients/physicians/clinicians/health systems/society, but once you engage and query, it’s all about them finding an angle for their “for profit clinic” or supplier or consultant org, or payer to seek the opportunity gap to try to get their piece of the pie.

It’s gonna be really good to get back to doctoring on Monday.

This airport beer should help decompress and enjoy the flight home.
So many people get into medicine to help people but get sucked into our for profit system and lose sight of it. It's probably the worst thing about the whole industry. No profit ever needs to be involved at any part of healthcare
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Yesterday finished project managing a construction project that starter December 11 and required my attendance EVERY DAY except for Dec 31 & Jan 1. With work really ramping up at the end, I'm pretty beat. Very happy to still be in my pajamas, mostly doing nothing. Scrolling through twitter, listening to radio. Might get a haircut later.
Welcome to my life, except I give myself a haircut in my pajamas.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
Welcome to my life, except I give myself a haircut in my pajamas.
Flowbee?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How do you trudge on when you hit that realization that your direct boss’s managerial style is old school/top down draconian bullshit and creates more problems than it solves, especially and irretrievably losing your confidence?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Get your resume updated and do some discrete networking
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:How do you trudge on when you hit that realization that your direct boss’s managerial style is old school/top down draconian bullshit and creates more problems than it solves, especially and irretrievably losing your confidence?
I just now walked over to a different department and shamelessly told the head, "Bring me over here." So now the wheels are in motion.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s the thing, she’s supposed to step down in June, and the top execs in the org love me and have tapped me to be the next department head.

That said my bosses boss will have final say, and this persons been in the role for about 1.5 and we know each other much less.

While it’s pretty clear that I’m next up, there is the outside chance my bosses boss selects my colleague at another site if that person throws the name in due to familiarity.

Also a similar position to the one that should open in June, just opened with a closing date feb 9 at a competitor of ours. In someways it’s a better job, in others not at all.

Primarily just venting, but I don’t like developing projects that everyone thinks are awesome and will work/move us forward, except for my boss because her failure in creativity and engagement.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Work Status: Fucked
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:Work Status: Fucked
Bear down! You'll get through it - the good always do...

As an old man I can share that this kind of setback often results in changes that yield better outcomes.

I don't mean to minimize the difficulty of the moment, but hang in there - you have a future!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Work Status: Driving around Northwest Arkansas in a rented pickup truck trying to drum up business for a company that will likely fire me here shortly.

Fun!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:Work Status: Driving around Northwest Arkansas in a rented pickup truck trying to drum up business for a company that will likely fire me here shortly.

Fun!
If you're anywhere near Harrison, ground zero for the Klan, say hi to my in-laws. They're the only Obama voters/Trump haters you'll find. Got anything in your sample case that has to do with cows?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder if Chi would be successful there dressing up as Clayton Bigsby?

VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Was let go by MGM Resorts after 13 1/2 years back in May when the company decided they wanted to save 100 million in salaries. (Sorry, no more Friends and Family discounts for anybody). They let the top corporate executives and Presidents and VP's of the different hotels take early retirements and get sweetheart retirement packages. I also know of a couple of VPs that were forced to retire. And then all the mid managers and lower worker bees were let go with a severance package depending on the length of time you were with the company. Fortunately, I got 6 months of severance pay along with two extra paychecks they gave us after letting us go.

I've been driving Uber part-time for vacation money for the last three years or so and did that for a few months instead of looking for a real job. After three months I decided to look for work. Second place I interviewed with hired me and third place I interviewed with called me the day before I was to start my new job, wanting to hire me. Ended up negotiating for a bit more money with the original company since the atmosphere is very kicked back. Love being able to go to work in shorts. Ended up getting another call about a month ago from an ex co-worker wanting me to come work for the company he's at now. Getting laid off was probably the best thing that's happened. It was nice getting out of a toxic environment where you're not appreciated unless you're a VP or Director
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Work Status: Driving around Northwest Arkansas in a rented pickup truck trying to drum up business for a company that will likely fire me here shortly.

Fun!
If you're anywhere near Harrison, ground zero for the Klan, say hi to my in-laws. They're the only Obama voters/Trump haters you'll find. Got anything in your sample case that has to do with cows?
Looks like I’m an hour from there. So not quite far enough....

My bag is full of magazines. Do cows like to read up on the latest trends in foodservice retail? Yeah, that might be a touchy subject, especially our cover story on the best burgers in America.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

Fun!

My bag is full of magazines. Do cows like to read up on the latest trends in foodservice retail? Yeah, that might be a touchy subject, especially our cover story on the best burgers in America.

Joaquin Phoenix disapproves.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

Fun!

Joaquin Phoenix disapproves.
Is he not entertained?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We're getting a new laser. They will finish the install once the Corona virus deal is over and the workers can come back into country.

How do you like my new open concept office?

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Han's laser?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bring your kids to work day must be interesting...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Bring your kids to work day must be interesting...
I don't do that.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Just got a promotion at work. If I didn't get this promotion I would have been looking at other firms. McKinsey consulting has ruined my company's culture luckily my new job is protected from most of their bullshit changes. So relieved.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Congrats Lando!

My buddy worked for a company that brought in McKinsey to streamline their processes and yadda yadda. They ended up firing a bunch of people who did their jobs well and making the remaining staff take on their responsibilities, while instituting a “free bagel Wednesday” program to boost morale. After six months, 6 out of the 8 people in his division had left for other jobs, including him. His old company had to take on private equity money to stay afloat and apparently they demanded bonuses get cut and that the employees pay a larger share of health insurance, so everyone he knows who is still there is begging him to find them a job with his company.

But I’m sure McKinsey got paid a very pretty penny for all their good advice.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last week put in my official retirement papers, will be out 4/30/2020.

ITS at the campus I work at has stopped treating us like adults, and are now into micromanaging with lots of leads, and less programmers. They are trying extremely hard to get rid of the old time ITS programmers who used to be mainframers, and bring in the much younger programmers who have no problem being micromanaged and are much more accepting of the open office environment. When they were trying to get us into an open office, no one complained more than I did.

One of my coworkers, also a former mainframer, has to meet with our director every 2 weeks, who purposely makes her cry so she will retire, unfortunately she cannot afford to.

That I can actually deal with, I can deflect all that pretty easy, but really tired of the long commute.